anyone up for predicting the wilson rework?

My thoughts are klei is going to do a Terraria 2.0 That when the players defeat the celestial champion the world goes into hard mode and everything is harder.
And now the players have to figure out how to explore and create with the new content and wilson being the scientest hes the first to make the new Not previously accessable science tab for the new world.

In my opinion, the role Wilson is suppose to play is that of the default character.  No crazy special abilities like 2x damage, a ghost sister, teleporting watches, etc.  So I have a hard time imagining the rework giving him anything really fun without completely changing his role in the game.

The only way I think they could keep him as the default character while at the same time adding a whole lot of depth to him is if they allow him to use all the special items from the other characters.  For example, if Wilson gets Wolfgang's dumbbells, he can also use them to increase his DPS for a certain amount of time.  If he gets Abigail's flower, he can summon Abigail and have her fight for him.  He can use Warly's crockpots, can use Webber's items, Woodie's idols etc.

Of course they would probably have to tone down the effects of these items when used by Wilson in order to not make him just an unstoppable OP character, However if they did it this way, then he would both be able to maintain the "default character" status since on his own, he has no special abilities while at the same time make him extremely interesting to play as in multiplayer or after you've upgraded the portal.

15 hours ago, DVGMedia said:

My thoughts are klei is going to do a Terraria 2.0 That when the players defeat the celestial champion the world goes into hard mode and everything is harder.
And now the players have to figure out how to explore and create with the new content and wilson being the scientest hes the first to make the new Not previously accessable science tab for the new world.

would there be a way to change it back? also making the science tab only acsessable by wilson does not seem fair.

If they will continue his theme of being the basic character, I think one way could be by giving him modified versions of certain items from every aspect of the game (combat, fishing, garden, crafting, etc) Similar to how Wigfrid has her own football helmet and spear, Walter has his own tent, Woodie has his own axe.

One I can think of is maybe a hammer that refunds 100% of materials, though this sounds more like a Winona thing haha. Probably his own easy to craft weapon/ armor that is only slightly stronger than a spear/ logsuit. An item maybe that would give him the ability to tend to all plants. I'm just randomly spitting out examples, but that's the idea.

Ok, here's my "prediction".

• Wilson now starts with a Portable Science Machine, which he can assemble and reassamble at any time. Neat for crafting and learning on the fly.
    • It can also be upgraded into a Portable Alchemy Engine.
  • When using any form of Science Machine / Alchemy Engine, he has a new "Mad Science" crafting tab.
    • Most of the beginner crafts he can make from his Mad Science tab are either small bonuses (like a small healing potion, sanity potion etc) mostly aimed to aid the newbie experience. Most of the crafts here utilize more general "garbage" or easy-to-find items, like stingers and red mushrooms etc
      • Similar to the some of the already existing Mad Scientist Lab creations, basicly.
    • With the Alchemy Engine however, he can start making more potent and wackier potions and gear, but now they might come with downsides (like a temporary-hunger-preventer-drink, but you lose a chunk of sanity etc).
    • Maybe he learns how to convert one resource into another? Like Flint into Gold or vice versa?
    • To also give him more lategame potential, the Pseudo-Science Station could perhaps let him craft a PORTABLE Pseudo-Science Station (with limitted items he can craft?), which also gives him new and far more potent crafts to utilize.

Aaand that's about it? It's pretty vague I guess, but I think that's a way to help both make him more newbiefriendly, more unique AND grant him some form of lategame potential.

1 hour ago, Azamagon said:

• Wilson now starts with a Portable Science Machine, which he can assemble and reassamble at any time. Neat for crafting and learning on the fly.
  • When using any form of Science Machine / Alchemy Engine, he has a new "Mad Science" crafting tab.
    • Most of the beginner crafts he can make from his Mad Science tab are either small bonuses (like a small healing potion, sanity potion etc) mostly aimed to aid the newbie experience. Most of the crafts here utilize more general "garbage" or easy-to-find items, like stingers and red mushrooms etc
      • Similar to the some of the already existing Mad Scientist Lab creations, basicly.
    • With the Alchemy Engine however, he can start making more potent and wackier potions and gear, but now they might come with downsides (like a temporary-hunger-preventer-drink, but you lose a chunk of sanity etc).
    • Maybe he learns how to convert one resource into another? Like Flint into Gold or vice versa?
    • To also give him more lategame potential, the Pseudo-Science Station could perhaps let him craft a PORTABLE Pseudo-Science Station (with limitted items he can craft?), which also gives him new and far more potent crafts to utilize.

Aaand that's about it? It's pretty vague I guess, but I think that's a way to help both make him more newbiefriendly, more unique AND grant him some form of lategame potential.

omfg thats exactly what i'm hoping for

4 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Honestly? Amazing idea. Portable Psuedoscience Station alone won my vote.

5 hours ago, Azamagon said:

Wilson now starts with a Portable Science Machine -snip-

I sat here reading this with my jaw against the floor.
This is exactly what I did for my character, Whimsy.
One of her whole things is portable research stations LMAO
?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=#000000&letterbox=false

It'd sting a bit if his rework ended up being that exact but I'm not against the general concept of something akin to it.

Really I just hope Wilson ends up in an area where he's more useful to those around him whilst also not getting changed much himself.

Hate to be the party pooper on the portable learning stations, but this would slightly undermine having a Wickerbottom give him a book for the Everything Encyclopedia.

This is one of Wickers most useful early game perks, and if Wilson has something Similar- Wilson won’t need to rent her Library book.

Personally there’s only one thing I want most from his rework, I want his shaved off beard hair to start moving at low sanity and then form eyes and become a Beardling or a BeardOverlord, Raising his Sanity again will transform these two Beard related mobs into Bunny/Bunnymen.

As a self-proclaimed "man of science," I'd like to flesh out his attempts at experimental tinkering, both good and bad. Obviously the joke is that his scientific prowess is nothing exceptional, but it's also that he believes it is. Wilson feels like he's a brilliant scientist, so let's bring that out a bit.

I think it would be interesting if there was some kind of mechanic where Wilson would use materials to tinker with existing items and weapons in order to adjust their stats at random.

Fans of Terraria might see where I'm going with this.

For example, maybe giving a pickaxe +/- swing speed or number of hits... weapons could also have a +/- swing speed and/or damage. Things get adjustments to durability.

There's all kinds of crazy fun you can having with Wilson by simply using existing stuff.

.....Either that or give him an afro to go with the beard. It would rest in the hair W he already has. <w<

I would like Wilson to have a research and development table. Here Wilson could create "variations" of craftable objects for example an axe that does more damage but cuts slower or an umbrella that protects you more from the heat but not so much from the rain.

On 1/29/2023 at 5:11 PM, Lardee said:

In my opinion, the role Wilson is suppose to play is that of the default character.  No crazy special abilities like 2x damage, a ghost sister, teleporting watches, etc.  So I have a hard time imagining the rework giving him anything really fun without completely changing his role in the game.

The only way I think they could keep him as the default character while at the same time adding a whole lot of depth to him is if they allow him to use all the special items from the other characters.  For example, if Wilson gets Wolfgang's dumbbells, he can also use them to increase his DPS for a certain amount of time.  If he gets Abigail's flower, he can summon Abigail and have her fight for him.  He can use Warly's crockpots, can use Webber's items, Woodie's idols etc.

Of course they would probably have to tone down the effects of these items when used by Wilson in order to not make him just an unstoppable OP character, However if they did it this way, then he would both be able to maintain the "default character" status since on his own, he has no special abilities while at the same time make him extremely interesting to play as in multiplayer or after you've upgraded the portal.

i like the idea of wilson having access to other survivors' kit but i think it would be pretty difficult to pull off, both in theory and practice. at the end of it all, i think he would just become a super gimmicky and novel character--definitely a far cry from a "default character". i do think it would be awesome if wilson effectively got a new power every time a character was released, but there definitely seems to be a lot in the way of this concept to the point where i dont see klei going this route.

that being said, i think there are plenty of ways you could retain the basic nature of wilson and still add to his character--extra storage space, better tool durability, etc. things that would be useful to any character but wouldnt necessarily give him insane potential that players could come to rely on.

i think there's a lot of potential for wilson no matter which direction you decide to take him in. some people in this thread have good ideas on how to make him slightly more forgiving while still accentuating his aspects as a basic survivor. personally, id like to see wilson be given some mechanics that encourage experimental gameplay and learning from mistakes (maybe something to do with revival and the meat effigy).

Wilson isn't a mad scientist. He's not even a good scientist. His excessive facial hair growth is probably due to a failed experiment that blew up in his face.

However, Wilson did receieve 'forbidden knowledge' in his short. What forbidden knowledge may that be? Who knows, because every other character could craft exactly the same thing he could. But that may be a thing to consider.

Perhaps they'll bring back 'research points', but rework it somewhat?

9 hours ago, WONTow said:

Who knows, because every other character could craft exactly the same thing he could. But that may be a thing to consider

the game would be weird if you couldnt make a science machine as a not so clever ~8 years old child even if that make more sense and respects the lore

9 hours ago, WONTow said:

His excessive facial hair growth is probably due to a failed experiment that blew up in his face

is called being mature xD

12 minutes ago, WONTow said:

Still though, beards usually don't reach down to your feets even if you are a mature 30 year old grown man with powerful beard genes.

Human heads generally aren't twice the size of your body either, but it's a video game with certain stylistic elements, and the beard that grows to nearly touching the ground in less than 20 days is one of them. :p

Archived