About Klei (not) revisiting old content

As 2023 has just came into place we begin our 2 month dst content drought, when Klei relaxes through January and February will only bring us Year of the X event. However, until an official roadmap is released, what can we expect from 2023 dst? 

I hope more changes to the older content. Or should I say 'changes to the old content', as Klei barely makes any.

This year wasn't actually that bad, as many updates did additional changes to stuff that wasn't related to their theme. Moon Quay added reeds and cactus renewability, Wx-78 and Wickerbottom refreshes changed Wurt and Wortox respectively. QoL updates are the best when it comes to this issue as they often add new qol items which need to be somehow incorporated into the game. And so, for example, Antlion and its desert stones got a new use in the form of the Turf-Raiser Hat. Or how they straight up refreshed the Ancient Guardian

However, as nice as stuff like this is, I believe that the game needs new content related to the old content (or just refresh of the old mechanics). Mainly for 2 reasons:

1) The content in question simply needs to (should) be revisited

2) The content, most likely a biome, has a lot of unused potential

Think anout the Lunar Island which could use some new mutated mobs/plants and its lunar crafting leaves a lot to be desired. Or pirate raids; many a forumite have complained that the number of monkeys and therefore the difficulty of the raid is poorly thought-out. Yet we've seen no changes for the past 6 months.

Sailing has been treated well by the devs. Revisited almost every ocean update, we've gone from a slow, cluttered circle, to multiple sligthly less cluttered, faster, armored circles thanks to things added post-Turn of Tides, like sail upgrades, bumpers, magnets etc

So, visits to the previous content are needed from both the worldbuilding point of the game, as well as the balance point.

However, despite all this, the devs seem to have a hard time actually 'updating' the old content. More often than not it's just character changes.

I think the main reason for that is the fact that the devs promise too much in the roadmap. Their schedule is always full and they don't have enough time to revisit old content. I believe that instead of having all 11 months thought out, Klei should plan only for 8-9 months and use the remaining ones as some sort of 'development freedom' time, when they can, for example, rework how a mechanic disliked by the community works, add a bunch of environmental/worldbuilding mobs to various biomes, stuff like that. Or maybe, if the whole year went smoothly, they could work on a new, unexpected content/QoL update

New content is very cool Klei but it sucks when said content is then forgotten and not expanded upon, even if only a little bit

I think we got a fairly sweet amount of old content getting revisited this year, considering characters refresh or hound waves, world options, literally crafting menu or some items directly (can’t thank enough the refuelable Lazy Forager). With all the others I’m forgetting I’m sure this got Klei busy for the whole year on both releasing but also revisiting stuff :) I mighty appreciate how this went.

Now sure I'd wish this keep going for 2023, guess there will be a lot more updates targeting what’s after RoT, but there is a few things I’d personally look forward in term of content revisiting as well :

1. World gen changes : Not really the content (see 2) but overall construction of worlds feels outdated, basically so much that in the last X years I haven’t generated a single long lasting world without heavily tweaking the generation for the best results but I know the vanilla ones very well from test sessions. I don’t like how 1/3 of the biomes are actually good (especially caves), the distance between them due to messy biomes in the middles and shapes make most maps tedious so playing in small worlds is a must have for me, and due to these gaps and eventual spaghetti shapes, I'd wish for more handy TP devices to patch this if we don’t have better world changes, let’s say like Terraria's pylons. And I could get started with the random biome list.
  2. Basic plants rework, I’m bored of plants like grass, sapling and berry bushes because of their behaviors. It’s terrible to renew them and there is no depth in their features. I wish all the not so useful biomes could be methods to forage new subspecies and renew plants by creating an activity around this a bit how RWYS made farmer a whole role to get wonderful results and work with your plants to have upgrades, but you could also do nothing and have what they are as today.
  3. Disease, everytime I mention it I get the "why you liked old disease ?" after mentioning 5 time that I did not because it was stupid and punitive with no playaround it so don’t be stuck with time while reading this. I would like a whole fresh disease to be reintroduced for plants, one that comes with as many pros as perfectly reversible cons. That includes cures, not that boring shovel trick that destroys them if too late, if you make use of the disease it could be an opportunity to attract some new content while it’s around giving further upgrades to your farming as long as you maintain it, auto cures, auto spreader and create plant subspecies (mobs or more plants ?). But if you don’t want any of this to happen then disease can be stopped, canceled, and oh well it’s just 1 harvest that has been missed. And I sure want the trigger of disease to be smarter, not after X days but based on usage, surroundings and minor care, so decorative plants and small exploitations are unaffected. I just hated how disease was here, for super long, nother was attempting to solve its many issues and then gone in a snap. Wasted rework I think.
  4. Plants Varieties, more specifically how horrible are Twiggy Trees world, how Grass Geckos world kill half of them due to environment (aka tallbird and such), and how having normal saplings and grass is the best to have anyway both results, with my previous 2 and 3 wish I think that would be solved but without them happening, I at least hope some sorts of varieties wouldn’t that sad to endure compared to basic (I like the juicy berries though because anyway we get both)
  5. Spoiler

Plant skins ? :confused:

3 hours ago, ADM said:

Disease

God please no. In no form or shape to plants at least.
I liked the rest of your suggestions @ADM

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I hope more changes to the older content. Or should I say 'changes to the old content', as Klei barely makes any.

I think last year they tried to finish the reworks since they were spacing out content too much. Now that there is only 1 rework to go, we should expect a much more content heavy year, which sounds pretty exciting. And I’m sure old content will be revisited through both QOL updates and new updates alike.

I understand that we want Klei to focus on the ocean and the lunar island and seafaring and such, and I agree completely

However, to be honest, the Caves really need some spice. Look, the Ruins are obviously fine, but they are practically a different region altogether. And without the Ruins, the Caves is, aside from the occasional Toadstool, Star-Sky, and the 2 biomes added in Forgotten Knowledge, very bland. I mean, there is undoubtedly content there, Rock Lobsters, Bats, Slurtles and the like, but they are utterly devoid of any intrigue or reason to engage with them at all. There are many Caves biomes but the one you're in barely matters when there's nothing notable in them. Compare this to the perfect Overworld, in the Deciduous you can find Pig King and Glommer, in the Plains, you may come across Bee Queen or Moose/Goose spawners, the Forest houses the Moon Stone, Mandrakes, Pig Villages, the Terrarium. No matter where you travel in the Overworld there will always be something of notice to be discovered. Compare this to the Caves, where there's really nothing.

I agree - I'd like to see them commit to giving the game more of a face lift, unafraid to touch even the oldest most arcane mechanics in favor of setting the game up for a better trajectory into new content later.  tbh they monetize off of skin sales, so they really don't have to keep releasing new stuff.  Just release some skins, and change old content enough that we have new things to do and I think it will work out.

I'd love new cave content, perhaps a new boss. And I'd like for it to give new purpose to some of the currently decollate biomes like guano caves, sunken swamp, green mush biome, mixed mush biomes. The greatest part of the addition of lunar grotto and archives is how helpful it is in terms of navigating caves, once you find blue mush biome you've basically found all you need because of how clearly things generate. So more landmark type things of that nature is totally encouraged.

Ocean content needs more biomes for color and perhaps more uses to previously added content like seaweeds, if we were able to build rock formations, I can totally see Wormwood main making an army of turrets outside their camp! Cookie cutter caps should also do AOE dmg and its fixed. More uses for salt maybe? And Moon Quay will probably get an update this coming year.

And I would like them to finish the loose ends to the other lore parts that have no conclusion or sense of an "end" I know it's all a continuous story but they make an interesting story like the Ancients, Pearl, etc then just drop it half way into it when it starts to get really good then pretend it never existed and plug their ears while people complain about the lore being half baked.

9 hours ago, Pinkamena11FazP said:

And I would like them to finish the loose ends to the other lore parts that have no conclusion or sense of an "end" I know it's all a continuous story but they make an interesting story like the Ancients, Pearl, etc then just drop it half way into it when it starts to get really good then pretend it never existed and plug their ears while people complain about the lore being half baked.

Im still confused as to what the current situation is with the forge and the gorge, because originally it seemed like both of these took place after the ancient fuelweaver fight and were supposed to lead somewhere through a series of in-game events. Obviously the events werent profitable but like....what happened to the characters then? They returned without any explanation and that was that?

i feel like hound attacks could be much more interesting if they added a variety of enemies to it. maybe more types of hounds exclusive to hound attacks... it doesnt even need to be just hounds, make some mad pigs come around to take revenge on you, maybe a new miniboss or something. we have so many ways to defend ourselves in the late game, the hound waves become really boring really fast in late, casual worlds

On 1/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I would like them to finish the loose ends to the other lore parts that have no conclusion or sense of an "end"

Either Pugna invaded or the two goats finally make it to the constant. Would love some closure with those arcs.

Archived