Why do we need to kill critters?

If you use infinite space and food to ranch them, you just can wait until they die.

If you, like any other player, use limited space and ressources to feed them, you want them to grow and then you want the meat. You dont want to feed them for many cycles without getting anything more out of it.

11 minutes ago, calibayzone said:

Just lock the extras in a room with an auto-sweeper than let them die?

The reasons not to do this are lag (more critters = more lag) and start-up time (you'll start getting the meat coming in some 100 cycles [whatever the starvation time is] sooner with a butchery).

Butcheries don't have to be complex: a door above a one-tile puddle with a critter sensor in it is enough.

It depends on what I am trying to get from ranching.  If it's early game and I am ranching Hatches or Pips to ween my dupes off Mealwood (because Lice sucks), Mushrooms (only so much Slime) or Grubfruit (Sulfur shortage) where then yes usually I am in a rush to get meat sooner.  Once I have a target population (usually at least 7) it comes time to start sending eggs to a wet place and start feeding my dupes delicious marinated barbecued baby critter meat.  Getting to watch them evolve from time to time is just an added bonus.  Letting the critters live out their lifespans extends the whole process by 100 cycles unnecessarily.

If I am ranching to get something other than meat then I send them to an overflow room where they can be sheared, rub crops, cuddle eggs or provide a small amount of power until they starve to death.

17 hours ago, calibayzone said:

There are many elaborate machines for butchering, as well as a mod.

But critters die anyway of old age. So why would we need to kill them? Are we in a rush to get meat sooner?

There is no _need_ to kill critters. It is an option to do so though. 

On 11/8/2022 at 3:27 AM, QuQuasar said:

The reasons not to do this are lag (more critters = more lag) and start-up time (you'll start getting the meat coming in some 100 cycles [whatever the starvation time is] sooner with a butchery).

Butcheries don't have to be complex: a door above a one-tile puddle with a critter sensor in it is enough.

Critters use less PC resurses than dupes

On 11/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, calibayzone said:

There are many elaborate machines for butchering, as well as a mod.

But critters die anyway of old age. So why would we need to kill them? Are we in a rush to get meat sooner?

For those who farm large amounts of critters, it is to reduce CPU calculating power for each critter, while limiting them to one time isn't bad, it is still a drain on CPU power and in turn Lag

On 11/9/2022 at 5:49 PM, Ntr1cate said:

For those who farm large amounts of critters, it is to reduce CPU calculating power for each critter, while limiting them to one time isn't bad, it is still a drain on CPU power and in turn Lag

And Klei making endless hoards of starving crittters that never die b/c they lay one egg (depending on the species) the meta is a good decision why?

7 hours ago, calibayzone said:

And Klei making endless hoards of starving crittters that never die b/c they lay one egg (depending on the species) the meta is a good decision why?

Calm down, you asked a question and were given an answer, the critters aren't endless and on average spawn at a standard rate per biome and generally don't become active until the FoW is removed or partially removed for that biome.

Much like the exploit argument or mod argument or any argument towards the game, it in the end remains a player's choice to do or not do something.

People can list positives and people can list negatives, as far as I can see, it is a legitimate mechanic of the game, so there is nothing wrong with it, if it wasn't a legitimate mechanic of the game, then it would fall into the exploit category which is a different issue in itself.

This game is about taking an issue and finding a solution with the tools and mechanics at your disposal, if anything you should come up with a design instead and post it so those who would like to take your alternative have the design available.

More critters create more lag, probably even if you put them on one or two tile space to move around. There is no pathfinding for eggs or meat though (but can you imagine?). This is why drowning chambers exist as you get the meat from the excess critters after they hatch. Drowning critters also have no chance of eating food dropped from any critters who just died before it could be swiped up either. Dropping eggs in a chamber automatically is also a bonus as you can have lots more eggs stacked in a tile as opposed to the 20 or so critter limit with the critter drop-off, which also requires duplicant labor.

On 12/3/2022 at 7:08 AM, gabberworld said:

there is fact tho that when critters is out of monitor screen then there is less lag. so my recommendation is that build farm there where you not look much

But when you do look, it might freeze your game? Doesn't sound like a good player driven solution.

On 12/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, Prince Mandor said:

Where I can see some games, written by You?

Happy new year, you can't, but you can find freeware and opensource apps where is my hand involved.

currently i mostly mod the 20 year old game with asm, that new young generation players can enjoy the game what i todo myself long time ago

Archived