Future content

Future of ONI  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What new type of content would you like the most?

• New systems with buildings and overlays (fire, noise etc.)
    • New biomes with critters, plants and resources
    • New industrial processes providing more useful products
    • New challenges altering how you play (periodic events, monument strucutres, time-limited space objects)
    • New lore with meaningful stuff to interact with

What type of future content are you most excited about? What would you like to see added? Everybody plays the game in a different way. In DST we got speedrunners, megabasers, survivalists, completionists and guys just chilling and enjoying the game. Every one of those wants different content. I wonder how it looks in ONI. Do we want more exploring, more industry or more storytelling? Or maybe all of it?

I'd love to get updates that change how the game is played - either big game rules changes (fire) or new challenges.

new biomes, morphs, buildings may feel like more of the same, and therefore excite me less. but there are ofc exceptions - simple diet change for slugs changes how can we play with them and excite me more than all Fast Friends morphs combined (they were OK I guess, but felt more like reskins than new unique things). I will probably ignore next rec building, but it will be powered by radbolts, changing my approach to radbolt network I will be super happy to play with it.

I don't read lore tbh. I'm fine with any changes, I will ignore them and focus on gameplay instead. I might read some entries in free time for laughs, but if nothing new appeared there I'd be fine with that and I wouldn't even notice.

I'm missing bugfixes/performance/improvements option, while they don't really excite me, I acknowledge they are nessesary, probably more than other things

ONI needs a power sink.  Perhaps a unique POI that requires at minimum 10 kW and could scale up to 50 kW and gives better benefits the more power it is fed.  The Somnium Synthesizer could have been like this after activation.

I don't feel a need to build a Nuclear Reactor (aside from getting the achievements) or a Sour Gas Boiler when I play ONI.  Transit Tube networks are the only thing I can think of that require these levels of power, but again, transit tubes are completely unnecessary.

Yes, the POI would be optional as well, but at least I wouldn't have to manufacture my own stuff to necessitate extreme power like what nuclear provides.  I find that solar, hydrogen from my O2 system, the metal refinery basically powering itself, wild plug slugs, otherwise idle dupes on wheels and coal as a backup is more than enough to keep my bases powered.

I just wish there was more reason to build a nuclear reactor or a sour gas boiler other than "it's something to do."

New systems, or even overhauled older systems (I'm looking at you, diseases) are what I'm most looking forward to.  I specialize my labor force, so adding, say, firefighters or roboticists to my labor pool, or getting a reason to actually have a doctor, would shake up the way I populate my colonies. 

After that, new biomes, with all that that entails, would be a close second.  I enjoy the exploration stage of the game, and new biomes means new challenges to be conquered and new resources to be exploited.  Plus it brings the opportunity for new foodstuffs.  Not that the game needs more food, but I enjoy the variety of crops our farmers and cooks have to work with.

My personal wish list:

Fire. A reaction that spreads between adjacent buildings and flammable debris, destroying them and producing heat and Co2 without damaging tiles, would fit into the game perfectly. Yes sandstone is flammable, shut up that's why.

Disease Symptoms. They need to be visible: something that grabs your attention and lets you know you screwed up. Vomiting for food poisoning, slimelung requiring bed rest to cure, zombie dupes actually behaving like zombies and deliberately trying to infect others.

Clothing checkpoint: A small-to-medium sized building that accepts warm sweaters and/or cool vests. Duplicants passing it in one direction change into whatever is stored inside, and passing it in the other go back to their assigned clothing. We can then give hypothermia and heatstroke some actual consequences. Also, fix vests please.

Game need new challenges. Right now you could build amazing structures like overheated reactor, regolith melter etc... But you have no much use for them. Colony requirements are limited, and all excess... Is just excess, you cant invest it anywhere. Thats also limits space material usage: why use supereffective supercoolant if water cooling works, and you dont need to raise efficiency as you already achieve all you can

15 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Where is the bug fixes option? I would select bug fixes a dozen times instead of any new content option.

I didn`t add bug fixes as it`s not new content. Bug fixes usually come with new updates anyway. One might argue that less new content means less bugs to fix but on the flipside more new content means more patches and a higher chance each bug gets attention.

15 hours ago, pether said:

I don't read lore tbh. I'm fine with any changes, I will ignore them and focus on gameplay instead. I might read some entries in free time for laughs, but if nothing new appeared there I'd be fine with that and I wouldn't even notice.

Well i was thinking of more interactive lore than just the journals you can discover. The new story traits seem like a step in that direction. Lore focued PoI that does something useful while providing some lore as a bonus. Just like in DST they dropped lore bits during bossfights and now they have a special lore theater stage structure.

5 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Well i was thinking of more interactive lore than just the journals you can discover. The new story traits seem like a step in that direction. Lore focued PoI that does something useful while providing some lore as a bonus. Just like in DST they dropped lore bits during bossfights and now they have a special lore theater stage structure.

if that would add challenge, morphs or mechanics it would fit those categories better. if not - I won't mind, but I won't notice either. but this is just my preference, if anybody else loves this kind of stuff I'm happy for them :)

As far as the poll is concerned... everything? But if we're talking DLC, or what I would consider to be worth a DLC-type content that would work for this game, regardless of the approach, all on its own, 'New systems with buildings and overlays (fire, noise etc.)' is going to be your meat and potatoes, and everything else would be the side salad dressing to enhance it. It is the most game-changing, interesting and potentially fun to work with, not to mention the educational potential.

I imagine, if sound systems for example were more of a concern and an effect more buildings displayed for example, much like radiation and heat was for living quarters and crops respectively, it would be another integral reason to keep your duplicants' sleeping areas far away from heavy industrial machinery. Can't have a rock crusher above the barracks without waking everyone up anymore. Or using sound overlay and buildings for something even more creatively interesting and useful.

Make the Oni’s world scary to explore. There is nothing dangerous in this game right now.

Here is my problem: you can have a few dupes. Let’s say 8 dupes, a water geyser, and some solar power. You can live happily ever after. Why even get more dupes? Why explore the space? Why build nuclear plants? There is no sense of progress after a bit.

Here is an imaginary scenario that excites me to play the game unlimitedly: 

Just imagine we have a crucial goal (In Jumpking is to save the babe, in Final Fantasy is to save the children, and in Pandemic is to save the world). Here it can be saving the imprisoned dupes in the freezing states (they could be found in cryo tanks). Let’s assume you could find up to 8 dupes in the original planetoid. If you want more, you should find them in other planetoids (reason to explore space). In that case, the number of dupes will also show your progress. The new dupes from each planetoid can have a distinct feature to show their roots as simple as different color bracelets. (This will show a visual history of your colony). There could be an unlimited number of planetoids, and getting to some of those may need making a space station for refueling purposes. For the space station to work right, it should get rod bolts from 3 planetoids simultaneously (power sink- another reason to make a colony out there). The further the planetoid is, the more challenging it should be to get to it. We should need rare materials to be able to enter their atmospheres. It should be hard to explore the planetoids. Let’s assume there are some robot defense systems in space and planetoids, and we need to build defense systems and shields against them. We need a new type of exosuits, which have better shields against the remaining automatic defense systems in these new planetoids…

But here is another issue: from my experience in the corporate world, developers have no other choice than to go for back-to-back releases rather than working on something that fundamentally improves the core games. We can see the side effects of such an approach in the latest DLC. It adds not much to gameplay for most parts (other than the new morphs). How many of you were encouraged to restart the game after the latest DLC?

Some additional suggestions:

• More reason to explore the space.
  • More reason to make colonies in other planetoids.
  • More reason to preserve nature.
  • More things to ask idle dupes to do.
  • A reason to have great decor for most of our base s and not only a good decor for few rooms.
  • A reason to have a diverse diet and not only one food.
  • Kid dupes.
  • New roles (soldier, caretaker, entertainer, teacher)
  • New tiles (look at the great mods)
  • More interactions between dupes. Why can’t we have dupes couples?
  • Aliens, scary critters, and hostile robots

On 10/22/2022 at 8:57 AM, Sasza22 said:

higher chance each bug gets attention.

There is no such thing. Every update increases the number of bugs introduced. I give them credit for addressing the immediate bugs, but there are stragglers that get carried along for years!

I cannot continue with my current game due to game crashes now. I report my bugs and provide as much information as I can, and identify similar bugs to provide additional information to the developers, but I have been a participate in this game and forum for several years. In my opinion there isn't enough focus on that, and there is only focus on NEW content to distract people from the issues/bugs. When I saw that Klei was breaking from a DLC to focus on bug resolution and stability, I was happy. But I don't see the fruits of that yet - BUT I do see new critter morphs and new buildings.

I'm not sure whether it's a blessing or not that I cannot continue my currently play through as the game continuously crashes. I've been thinking about quitting this game for a while, apparently this is the day.

On 10/23/2022 at 5:09 PM, yoakenashi said:

There is no such thing. Every update increases the number of bugs introduced. I give them credit for addressing the immediate bugs, but there are stragglers that get carried along for years!

The thing is no new content means no new patches. This means bugs won`t get fixed. With new content we get both bugs and fixes and we are playing the roulette for if we get a more or less buggy game in the end. And it`s not like they don`t fix long standing bugs. Some of them get attention. Obviously the fresh bugs are a priority but i`ve seen some old bugs get fixes.

I am a bit with evilcat19xx on that one, the game's replayability could benefit from an external factor to reduce its determinism. This is tricky though because I don't want this game to e.g. turn into some kind of tower defense thingy.

Now this is a long term player request - I have 3000hours on the record - for newer players the game is most likely already challenging enough :-)

On 10/21/2022 at 7:32 PM, tuxii said:

I just wish there was more reason to build a nuclear reactor or a sour gas boiler other than "it's something to do."

Indeed.  The "game" isn't exactly finished in that the end game doesn't exist.  There's no reason to build any of the rare space materials to complete any goal but a vanity build.  maybe supercoolant - but do you even need hydrogen rockets in the game?  

You don't even need to build a base on any of the outer planets  or much reason to even go to them - the regolith planet, the gassy moo planet?  There more planets like the experiment 52B where you have to establish a base and conduct an ongoing process to extract and process resin.

Is there even a reason to tame the various geysers, vents, and volocanos?

All the planets should need to be colonized and used.  There should be a need to use all the rare materials to refine them into useable space materials to be used in processes that contribute to some end goal of the game. Opening up the rift would be a fine end goal if more was required to complete that task. 

2 hours ago, Kderosa said:

Indeed.  The "game" isn't exactly finished in that the end game doesn't exist.  There's no reason to build any of the rare space materials to complete any goal but a vanity build.  maybe supercoolant - but do you even need hydrogen rockets in the game?  

You don't even need to build a base on any of the outer planets  or much reason to even go to them - the regolith planet, the gassy moo planet?  There more planets like the experiment 52B where you have to establish a base and conduct an ongoing process to extract and process resin.

All the planets should need to be colonized and used.  There should be a need to use all the rare materials to refine them into useable space materials to be used in processes that contribute to some end goal of the game. Opening up the rift would be a fine end goal if more was required to complete that task. 

The endgame is kinda like in old DS. You had all those things in the caves and ruins but it wasn`t needed to win. Now in DST we got more reason to explore the ruins with a boss tied to it. I imagine in ONI the less interesting planets are going to get some "story trait" structures that would make them worthwhile to colonize. Still it`s ok to be able to win the game without doing everything imo. Maybe there would be another victory condition as well.

12 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

The endgame is kinda like in old DS. You had all those things in the caves and ruins but it wasn`t needed to win. Now in DST we got more reason to explore the ruins with a boss tied to it. I imagine in ONI the less interesting planets are going to get some "story trait" structures that would make them worthwhile to colonize. Still it`s ok to be able to win the game without doing everything imo. Maybe there would be another victory condition as well.

You nailed it.  At least in DS you can world hop with your booty - but still the only real end goal is a megabase which seems kinda pointless.

Yes, more advanced victory conditions would be nice.  Right - once I've gotten around to building a few functional bases it turns out I have nothing to do with them and you really should since there's plenty left in the game if only there was a reason to do anything.

11 hours ago, Kderosa said:

I agree with this.  Aside from taming a water geyser and a metal volcano or two (preferably a gold volcano and a tungsten volcano) you really don't need to tame any of the other geysers to make it through the game.

One trip to either the water planetoid or to a gilded asteroid field and you have more fullerene than you could ever dream of using.  Who needs a lake of 200 tiles of super-coolant?  I remember the base game where trips to space only return a little fullerene and you had to use your first few bottles of super-coolant wisely and/or make more trips to collect more so you could make a liquid hydrogen setup to reach the Tear.  In my Spaced out game I can reach the Tear with a steam rocket from my home base.

Most planetoids only require you to visit them once to get what you want and leave, except for the 52B planetoid, and it is a shame.  Most of them it's land once, grab an artifact or two and some resource you can only acquire there and leave and you need not ever return again.

Experiment 52B is the greatest POI to ever be added to ONI, in my opinion.  The game needs more POIs like it rather than stuff like the Dream Doohicky.  Perhaps something like a giant stationary plug slug that needs to be fed thermium and excretes liquid propane.  Or a Psychic Sooth Pulser that grants a morale boost to every dupe everywhere as long as it's fed lots of power (there could even be withdrawal symptoms if it goes down).  Or something that needs to be fed liquid hydrogen and vomits out liquid steel or petroleum.  Or something that eats solid nuclear waste chilled to -200C.

And all those POI should be on different planetoids to encourage colonization.  I found the Dream Doohicky on my home planetoid and the Critter Scanner on my home planetoid, no reason to leave home.  If the Dream Doohicky was on another planetoid then I would have likely set up a small colony for my dreamers instead of just putting my spacefarers in pajamas.

The game could also use a crazy morale mode where dupes require double or even triple the morale requirements for buying skills so players would actually have to build the recreational buildings or hard-specialize their dupes.

12 hours ago, Kderosa said:

but do you even need hydrogen rockets in the game?  

Have you tried moonlet spacemap? Unlike normal spacemap which most space POI is 10 tiles away from your main asteroid, most important moonlet space POI is 12 tiles away, so either you have to build base on other asteroid for your rad bolt engine to charge, or you have to use hydrogen rockets.

End game are different for each type of map, if you want more space adventure and colonizing, play moonlet map.

51 minutes ago, tuxii said:

Aside from taming a water geyser and a metal volcano or two (preferably a gold volcano and a tungsten volcano) you really don't need to tame any of the other geysers to make it through the game.

Moonlet map already in the game, you havent tried it? Both Dream Doohicky and Critter Scanner have very high chance on spawning on different asteroid on moonlet as they are all very small asteroid. And volcanos spread out evenly in the four asteroid so you need to colonize them to get the resource you need.

1 hour ago, Tranoze said:

Moonlet map already in the game, you havent tried it? Both Dream Doohicky and Critter Scanner have very high chance on spawning on different asteroid on moonlet as they are all very small asteroid. And volcanos spread out evenly in the four asteroid so you need to colonize them to get the resource you need.

I tried moonlet map last playthrough and I am over it.

The moonlet map doesn't really change anything about what I said other than the Dream Doohicky and the Critter Scanner.  Both those POIs are pretty much useless anyway.  The Critter Scanner really just provides a little extra lore and the Dream Doohicky provided me with a brief and unneeded buff.

18 hours ago, Kderosa said:

Are you looking for the meaning of life? :)

2 hours ago, arvenil said:

Are you looking for the meaning of life? :)

I know that: 42

What I'm looking for is a good end game for an great game that already has a very good beginning game and a good mid-game.

(anticipating the pushback:  the sandbox aspect is not an end game or an excuse for not having a good end game for a game billed as a survival colony sim)

7 hours ago, tuxii said:

I tried moonlet map last playthrough and I am over it.

The moonlet map doesn't really change anything about what I said other than the Dream Doohicky and the Critter Scanner.  Both those POIs are pretty much useless anyway.  The Critter Scanner really just provides a little extra lore and the Dream Doohicky provided me with a brief and unneeded buff.

Right. The moonlets and alternate planetoids provide a varied challenge but don't fix the underlying issue - there's lots of late game potential already but the end game doesn't take advantage of that potential.

10 hours ago, tuxii said:

Most planetoids only require you to visit them once to get what you want and leave, except for the 52B planetoid, and it is a shame.  Most of them it's land once, grab an artifact or two and some resource you can only acquire there and leave and you need not ever return again.

Bingo.  The 52B pplanet provides a perfect template for fixing the other distant planets - i.e., provide a reason to exploit the product of the resources you discovered/tamed/processed in the midgame. The artifact grab is a good lesser challenge for those still learning the game, but the game is a colony survival sim (a very good one for four of the closet planets) and there are currently plenty of wasted resources and planets that can be exploited to up the challenge and provide a needed purpose.

I'm going to ask a simple, perhaps stupid question.  Why should materials like thermium or insulation be necessary for the end game experience?  As is, you can "beat" the game with just steel and ceramic, and you can use more advanced materials to hyper-optimize your builds if you feel so inclined.  What is that bad game design?

Archived