Future content

Future of ONI  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What new type of content would you like the most?

• New systems with buildings and overlays (fire, noise etc.)
    • New biomes with critters, plants and resources
    • New industrial processes providing more useful products
    • New challenges altering how you play (periodic events, monument strucutres, time-limited space objects)
    • New lore with meaningful stuff to interact with

5 hours ago, goboking said:

I'm going to ask a simple, perhaps stupid question.  Why should materials like thermium or insulation be necessary for the end game experience?  As is, you can "beat" the game with just steel and ceramic, and you can use more advanced materials to hyper-optimize your builds if you feel so inclined.  What is that bad game design?

Why should those endgame materials even exist if they serve no real purpose?

No one here is asking for those materials to be necessary to "beat" the game nor are we saying the game is poorly designed.  I love ONI and have thousands of hours played in the game. I'm just saying something is missing; a purpose.  Beyond completing the game and achievements, ONI has no purpose.

What I am suggesting is optional side quests that could require them, hopefully in large quantities, so we'd have a reason, any reason, to actually need or want to actually produce them at an industrial scale and build nuclear reactors, sour gas boilers, geothermal power, crazy plug slug ranches, etc. to power something, anything.  And to colonize other planetoids.

The game provides us with ample resources.  I'd love to have something to sink them into.  Even if the only reward was just to watch some cool machine animate.

3 hours ago, tuxii said:

No one here is asking for those materials to be necessary to "beat" the game nor are we saying the game is poorly designed.  I love ONI and have thousands of hours played in the game. I'm just saying something is missing; a purpose.  Beyond completing the game and achievements, ONI has no purpose.

What I am suggesting is optional side quests that could require them, hopefully in large quantities, so we'd have a reason, any reason, to actually need or want to actually produce them at an industrial scale and build nuclear reactors, sour gas boilers, geothermal power, crazy plug slug ranches, etc. to power something, anything.  And to colonize other planetoids.

The game provides us with ample resources.  I'd love to have something to sink them into.  Even if the only reward was just to watch some cool machine animate.

Then what does the side quest after those machine animate give? more "endgame resource" that you dont use? Currently all endgame resources have lots of use just because you dont use them doesnt mean other dont use them.
Niobium give + 50% decor can replace most gold amalgam building +25% decor.
Isolation give me liquid hydrogen piping without loop.
Thermium is the best thermal conductor, which i replace all my normal radiant pipe to thermium pipe.
Super coolant is well, perfect for liquid lock / liquid space building coolant as they work in very wipe temp range.

All endgame materials have lots of purposes. Making radiant piping with thermium require lots of tungsten + niobium, and niobium/thermium is quite important for nuclear powerplant (steel work ok, but as nuclear powerplant require ambient steam to be less than 100~150kg), total thermal mass of nuclear power plant is very small, which give lots of chance for steel overheat.

I dont think you really play into "endgame" yet, as endgame, all those resources have lots of use.

1 hour ago, Tranoze said:

Then what does the side quest after those machine animate give? more "endgame resource" that you dont use? Currently all endgame resources have lots of use just because you dont use them doesnt mean other dont use them.
Niobium give + 50% decor can replace most gold amalgam building +25% decor.
Isolation give me liquid hydrogen piping without loop.
Thermium is the best thermal conductor, which i replace all my normal radiant pipe to thermium pipe.
Super coolant is well, perfect for liquid lock / liquid space building coolant as they work in very wipe temp range.

All endgame materials have lots of purposes. Making radiant piping with thermium require lots of tungsten + niobium, and niobium/thermium is quite important for nuclear powerplant (steel work ok, but as nuclear powerplant require ambient steam to be less than 100~150kg), total thermal mass of nuclear power plant is very small, which give lots of chance for steel overheat.

I dont think you really play into "endgame" yet, as endgame, all those resources have lots of use.

What is the point of your responses to my posts?  The purpose of this thread is to discuss and brainstorm future ONI content.

Do you not want us to come up with ideas or make suggestions?

Because that's all I'm getting from you in this thread.  You like the game the way it is, ok fine.

Do you not want Klei to add more interesting things to do in ONI?

I have experienced everything this game has to offer and I want more.  Being able to get endgame materials and use them to build stuff is not enough anymore.

I don't want to build stuff just to build stuff anymore.  I don't want to build nuclear reactors or sour gas boilers especially in survival mode only for the energy to be wasted or merely stored because I don't have a use for it.  I want a POI on faraway planetoid that that's only purpose is to eat energy and the only reward could be that the more energy it's fed the faster it's wheels spin.  Or sinks for other resources.

I don't think I am suggesting anything unreasonable and I don't even expect Klei to hear, respond to or respect my suggestions.  They'll do what they do and I'll play if I want to play or I won't.

13 minutes ago, tuxii said:

I don't want to build stuff just to build stuff anymore. 

Isn't build stuff the core of this game? you also give 0 idea, just claim late game resources have no purpose and don't need industrial scale production, but in my perspective, I already produce them at industrial scale and use them constantly.
The purpose of free building game come from yourself, if you want to use the materials and build stuff you want, you can use the materials, if you dont want, you dont need to, why does the game have to force players to use those resources with late game quest?

1 hour ago, Tranoze said:

Isn't build stuff the core of this game? you also give 0 idea, just claim late game resources have no purpose and don't need industrial scale production, but in my perspective, I already produce them at industrial scale and use them constantly.
The purpose of free building game come from yourself, if you want to use the materials and build stuff you want, you can use the materials, if you dont want, you dont need to, why does the game have to force players to use those resources with late game quest?

Do you even read what you're responding to?  I specifically said side quests.  No one is forced to do anything in this game anyway, it really does boil down to just a pointless sandbox.

"you also give 0 idea"

On 10/26/2022 at 12:57 AM, tuxii said:

Experiment 52B is the greatest POI to ever be added to ONI, in my opinion.  The game needs more POIs like it rather than stuff like the Dream Doohicky.  Perhaps something like a giant stationary plug slug that needs to be fed thermium and excretes liquid propane.  Or a Psychic Sooth Pulser that grants a morale boost to every dupe everywhere as long as it's fed lots of power (there could even be withdrawal symptoms if it goes down).  Or something that needs to be fed liquid hydrogen and vomits out liquid steel or petroleum.  Or something that eats solid nuclear waste chilled to -200C.

I've made good suggestions in this thread and contributed to the discussion that this thread was made for.

All you've done is be a contrarian while adding nothing to the the discussion regarding what you'd like to see for future content and ignoring my questions.

I'd love to see this thread get back on track from you hijacking it and see more suggestions for future content from other posters.

1 hour ago, tuxii said:

Do you even read what you're responding to? 

I literally just asking question to clear/complete what you want.

5 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Then what does the side quest after those machine animate give?

Now after i read your comment throughly, i agree that you made good suggestions, but the reasoning for that is little bit off.

You said:

9 hours ago, tuxii said:

Please complete your suggestion, and give those side quests suggestion more real purpose.

If giving morale boost is a "real purpose", then replace gold building with niobium building, which give more decor, which give more morale, is also a "real purpose.", which make niobium served a real purpose.
What purpose does liquid propane have?

What is a "real purpose" do you want a materials/reward to serve on the game? How can they break the "

4 hours ago, tuxii said:

build stuff just to build stuff

" chain?

On 10/26/2022 at 1:45 PM, goboking said:

I'm going to ask a simple, perhaps stupid question.  Why should materials like thermium or insulation be necessary for the end game experience?  As is, you can "beat" the game with just steel and ceramic, and you can use more advanced materials to hyper-optimize your builds if you feel so inclined.  What is that bad game design?

Because otherwise they are pointless since. as you recognize, ceramic and steel and other insulating materials work just fine  to accomplish whatever needs to be done.  My point is merely that it would be nice to have more game challenged where those materials are, in fact, required, and lesser materials aren't sufficient. For example, to produce insulation you need to take 52B and harvest dozens of reed fiber (a difficult production effort) that you don't ever need to do since producing insulation isn't ever required to achieve any game goal.  It's wasted opportunity.  All that's missing is a suitable high/low temperature challenge on one of the many outer planets which have almost nothing for you to do at present but collect two artifacts.

On 10/27/2022 at 12:45 AM, goboking said:

you can "beat" the game

Is different from

7 hours ago, Kderosa said:

accomplish whatever needs to be done.

There are lots of things can be build that actually require insulation or other rare resources instead of just steel and ceramic.
You need super coolant to run hydrogen engine, it just you dont need hydrogen rocket to "beat" the game.

In other games, beating the boss give final weapon/gears for example, those gears arent needed to beat final boss, that doesnt mean they are pointless, if player whishes to continue the game after that, those gears would be a great help.

13 hours ago, Tranoze said:

There are lots of things can be build that actually require insulation or other rare resources instead of just steel and ceramic.

Basically we got a lot of options in the late game but not much reason to use them.

Some of the stuff they might add could require rare materials but it would be more interesting if it was stuff that needs designs that use them. Like you could build the needed stuff with aluminium, steel and ceramic but it would be more effective with thermium and insulation.

Now how would them make the new stuff worthwhile. Stat buffs aren`t altogether that impactful or interesting as seen from how people feel about the somnium synthesizer. I wonder what would be a wothwhile goal to pursue in the lategameif it was centered around a structure like that (other than a win condition).

14 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Yes, there are plenty of vanity builds you can build.  But the reason they're called vanity builds is because there's no in-game purpose to build them except to boost your own ego.  My only point is that I would like there to be a reason to build them, preferably a build that requires more colonies and the juggling or more production lines to accomplish.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Basically we got a lot of options in the late game but not much reason to use them.

Hmm i feel this apply much more to food system more than material system, you often only go with 1~2 type of food and that it, there are no need to produce variety of foods.

I can see we need more reason to use rare resources in space out as you can farm bunch of them, but in base game where you can get only few kg per rocket mission, they are truely "RARE" resources, and you have to use them very carefully in important part of your build.

Something to consider when pining for end-game uses for end-game materials is what percentage of players stick with a colony long enough to see the end-game.  I personally do, but if I'm in the minority, I'd be asking the developers to devote resources on a phase of the game most players won't see rather than something that makes the early- and mid-game more interesting and thus more likely to be experienced by a wider range of players.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, tuxii said:

I'm just saying something is missing; a purpose.  Beyond completing the game and achievements, ONI has no purpose.

That's true of most single-player games.  The exceptions usually come in the form of sandbox games, which luckily ONI is.  At some point we'll reach a point in a colony's lifespan where we've solved every problem, explored every asteroid, exploited every resource, and achieved every achievement.  You're asking them to push that point deeper into a colony's lifespan, but we'll eventually reach that point again.  Then what?  We ask them to push it deeper once more?  And again after that, and so on into perpetuity?  That's obviously not feasible, so they've got to draw the line somewhere.  For my money, the line between "manufactured materials are needed and end-game materials are a bonus" and "end-game materials are needed" seems as good a place as any.

4 hours ago, goboking said:

That's true of most single-player games.

I highly disagree with this.  Most single player games have a story to play through, characters to develop, a boss to beat and/or objectives.  All of which are a purpose.

Other single players games handle objectives far better than ONI because they lay them bare for the player early on in the game whereas in ONI if the player doesn't take a long hard look at the Printing Pod they might not even know this game even has objectives.

The exceptions usually come in the form of sandbox games, which luckily ONI is.

It is sandbox games that struggle to find a purpose.  The first sandbox game, Sim City, publishers didn't think would be successful because it didn't really have a purpose.  But it turned out to be massively successful and paved the way for sandbox games.

At some point we'll reach a point in a colony's lifespan where we've solved every problem, explored every asteroid, exploited every resource, and achieved every achievement.  You're asking them to push that point deeper into a colony's lifespan, but we'll eventually reach that point again.  Then what?  We ask them to push it deeper once more?  And again after that, and so on into perpetuity?  That's obviously not feasible, so they've got to draw the line somewhere.  For my money, the line between "manufactured materials are needed and end-game materials are a bonus" and "end-game materials are needed" seems as good a place as any.

I'm not asking for that at all.  The story and achievements in ONI can stay right where they are.  I'm not asking for endgame materials to be needed to achieve those objectives and I never did.

I am asking for their to be entirely optional but still valid reasons to colonize planetoids.  Something of interest on other planetoids that would make me want actually set up a permanent colony and not just a one time visit and leave with the loot.  Something to sink the resources this game so abundantly provides into.  Currently there is no reason to want to colonize any planetoids with only 2 exceptions; the oil planetoid since oil wells require dupe labor and the 52B planetoid since food generally doesn't grow itself.

1 hour ago, tuxii said:

Currently there is no reason to want to colonize any planetoids with only 2 exceptions; the oil planetoid since oil wells require dupe labor and the 52B planetoid since food generally doesn't grow itself.

Let me reduce them to 0 exceptions.

• You can send food via planetary launcher and shipping system to 52B. This allow you to feed 52B high density food like surf&turf and frost burgers.
  • Old well can be automated without dupe labor.The reason we dont want to colonize other asteroid is because before we have enough resources to go to space, we have to stabilize our own colony first, and as the colony already stable, we lazy ass wont waste time building another colony in space. All asteroid all the same in first place, why would you move to other asteroid when the starting asteroid provide the same?

I think asteroid buff for duplication and plant while they in specific asteroid would help.
    *Weather bonus: +25~50% grow speed for specific plant for each asteroid. Critter live longer for specific asteroid.
    *New experience: +25% exp gain when dupe are not in their starting asteroid.
    Various buff/debuff:
    Low gravity : +100% carry weight.
    Ambient radiation: Instead of radiation just come from above and can be blocked, radiation here cant be blocked and spread out through asteroid.
    Longer night : Double night duration.

10 hours ago, Tranoze said:

The reason we dont want to colonize other asteroid is because before we have enough resources to go to space, we have to stabilize our own colony first, and as the colony already stable, we lazy ass wont waste time building another colony in space.

Now imagine if we had limited critical resources on every planetoid like water. To the point we would want to move to another one when we run out or haul the water to our main base which would require to have dupes on the harvested one to dig deeper for water. If there was a mode where geysers dry out over time or their dormancy periods become exponentially longer then we might consider expanding to new planetoids when the old runs out.

42 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Now imagine if we had limited critical resources on every planetoid like water. 

As planetary launcher exist, they can just shoot resources through space. So buff/debuff on resources wise is not that impactful.

All one need is 1 tons of refined uranium and they can produce enough rad bolt to fully power 2~3 launcher

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :cheerful:

Trains, CoOp and synchronized lag...Forever cuddling together in lag...That would be nice, yumm yumm :congratulatory:

image.thumb.png.f0b8b43f50b3e629c5a875ae4464b98b.png ONI CoOp in 2027

Need lorries and petrol stations ! :ghost:

image.thumb.png.e8cf86a2eb658e446def89869a5c9a6b.png Gu & Zzler, tamable pets living at the Petrol Station building :flustered:

image.png.19e7f34e484089cf4e32be576912d47b.pngbabba ONi production processes in a nut shell :concern:

image.png.e809d76523f132b38bd2c2ea926d2362.png New item: Remote Detonator

I hope we get nice new fat content this year...babba is ready for new stuff and a new mega base with a 1000 dupes :congratulatory:

Keep it coming Klei :adoration: It would be so great if we could built a big fat space shuttle like the Challenger, fitting multiple engines and being able to mix new special fuels. :ghost:

If we had the option to switch off rocket interior maps ( have dupes disappear inside a rocket and having all needs paused/auto-satisfied ), that would be great. Also spreading map fires and some bumbum would be welcome :anonymous:

My biggest dream would be a map option, where all colony maps get merged together, to be 1 playable big map ( fully visible/accessible to the player ) - To satisfy the original base game players and big megabase players. In this special all-colonies-mega-map the player can dig through Neutronium. Rockets can still be flown to gather space resources ( like in the original base game ), but there are no planets on the star map.

The ONI community rocks, everyone is friendly to each other :cheerful:

image.thumb.png.5eb5b24f1b2287f4a0aa6353824e26ce.png image.thumb.png.5e21a9b9784ba1d6643b3ba47f7f5846.pngimage.thumb.png.3a42a515c8f5478d30691048dceb2624.png

image.thumb.png.414cddf09125223d532ee949c7fe0004.png  image.png.10bc6b75b87234a144d1b331c2a40c7c.png Spacestation MIR in ONI would be great too :lol:

Working on my new ONI car, Ryzen 7600x/ddr5 5200 :afro: ...Still got the tiny air cooler fitted.

On 10/22/2022 at 3:57 PM, Sasza22 said:

The new story traits seem like a step in that direction. Lore focued PoI that does something useful while providing some lore as a bonus. Just like in DST they dropped lore bits during bossfights and now they have a special lore theater stage structure.

POIs with some interesting lore behind them is what i want. I would like more reasons to go to other asteroids, something interesting and worthwhile, but not something 100% forcing me to go to other asteroids.

I would also like to see the asteroids beside the first one we start on to have rare events and some kind of beautiful scenery that makes me want to build something on it just for the beauty that it has.

Archived