Sunken Chests, love or hate?

Sunken Chests, love or hate?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on Sunken Chests.

• Like it as it is. Comment why.
    • Could have a little buff to the loot pool. Comment on what.
    • Change it completely. Comment ideas.

Finally gave in and tried to hunt for Sunken Chests. Take in consideration I never seem one before, didn't look it up on the wiki beforehand either. To my dismay the contents inside were not the best, fair enough we found 8 chests on a single trip and 4 more locations marked for another time due to random bottles. These come in plenty if you got time to waste on it. But at the end of the day we decided to keep them locked as decoration, wouldn't need so much "trash" in a really old world of mine. Sunken Trashure is what I called them dearly.
My opinion: These are better off as decoration than loot purpose and I would change it completely. Don't really like the current loot pool with Thulecite and random Tools. It doesn't fit the theme, neither lives up to expectation.
My idea: Make Crab King drop a Sunken Key so you can open it and keep it as it is, a chest! (12 slots like Scaled Chests since it would be a "Boss reward"? But that's open for debate) It would serve both as decoration and tra... loot. Why Crab King? Because after you defeat it one time for Pearl's questline and Celestial Guardian there's no other meaningful reason to kill it again. This gives Crab King a potential way to be farmed/killed more often for a precious key and a gorgeous movable chest. That's rewarding enough if you ask me. Maybe change the loot pool too, but I don't really care much if it wouldn't have Anenemies and Bull Kelp Stalk in it.
So, what are your opinions on Sunken Chests as of today?

35 minutes ago, Kur0u said:

My idea: Make Crab King drop a Sunken Key so you can open it and keep it as it is, a chest! (12 slots like Scaled Chests since it would be a "Boss reward"? But that's open for debate) It would serve both as decoration and tra... loot. Why Crab King? Because after you defeat it one time for Pearl's questline and Celestial Guardian there's no other meaningful reason to kill it again. This gives Crab King a potential way to be farmed/killed more often for a precious key and a gorgeous movable chest. That's rewarding enough if you ask me. Maybe change the loot pool too, but I don't really care much if it wouldn't have Anenemies and Bull Kelp Stalk in it.
So, what are your opinions on Sunken Chests as of today?

My friend did something similar to this and it's pretty awesome, I don't even care for the loot anymore because these portable heavy weight containers are just awesome to have (Though I do think the loot table should still be improved, lol)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2400387360

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

My friend did something similar to this and it's pretty awesome, I don't even care for the loot anymore because these portable heavy weight containers are just awesome to have (Though I do think the loot table should still be improved, lol)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2400387360

That is a gorgeous looking key! Do you know if the chest already have an opened art? Or the artist also came up with an asset for that? I always thought Klei would have it open at one time but scrapped due to needing to implement a code for a movable container, but we also got the Tackle Box so that's no excuse, thanks for sharing!

10 minutes ago, Kur0u said:

That is a gorgeous looking key! Do you know if the chest already have an opened art? Or the artist also came up with an asset for that? I always thought Klei would have it open at one time but scrapped due to needing to implement a code for a movable container, but we also got the Tackle Box so that's no excuse, thanks for sharing!

Yes, the sunken chest does have unlock and open animations already in the game, they're just unused! The only original asset the mod adds is the key iirc.

There isn't anything special that needs to be done for implementing a movable container, I would imagine the reasons for scrapping lies in design choices.

I actually like the current loot, it really makes you wonder who could and would obtain thulecite and moonglass and then bury it in the sea. Only thing I gotta admit, when I first found a chest, I was playing Wickerbottom, who stated that they would need a key. So I spent a lot of time wondering where I could get this mystery key for the unopened box in my base... sometimes, granny is to polite for her own good.

1 hour ago, Eughstein said:

cool loot that doesn't need change BUT most of the time it spawns in such places that i either need to make a whole new boat just to loot a chest or swim all over the island just to get there

Or worse, when a treasure appears under some objects like a salt formation. And sometimes it's so narrow there, with no room for a boat at all, no matter how hard you try to squeeze it in. So the chest just doomed to sink there forever. Given that there can only be four chests in the world at the same time, in a particularly unfortunate case or a very old world with frequent treasure hunts, all four theoretically may eventually spawn in an inaccessible place, and the player will not be able to get new ones, since all the notes will repeatedly point to the ones that already there. It's unlikely, but it would be really annoying if that happened.

7 minutes ago, Lokena said:

Or worse, when a treasure appears under some objects like a salt formation. And sometimes it's so narrow there, with no room for a boat at all, no matter how hard you try to squeeze it in. So the chest just doomed to sink there forever. Given that there can only be four chests in the world at the same time, in a particularly unfortunate case or a very old world with frequent treasure hunts, all four theoretically may eventually spawn in an inaccessible place, and the player will not be able to get new ones, since all the notes will repeatedly point to the ones that already there. It's unlikely, but it would be really annoying if that happened.

Disregarding the fact that the probability that something like this will happen is to the point where I would be incredibly surprised if someone who had been fishing chests for years straight would ever see such a thing happen, I think the fact that you can put a pinching winch on a grass raft negates nearly any possibility of such a thing being an issue in the first place. The pinching winch is much more forgiving in terms of range than it looks, and the grass raft is small enough to fit into pretty much any part of a brine shoal.

Aside from that, I personally adore sunken chests. I'm fine with their loot table at the moment, but I could totally see a sort of thing where after the cracked pearl is given to pearl, the next bottle you see is one that has a little speech about how she enjoys sending out treasures for the player to find, and the loot table gets a little more juicy after that.

I love sunken chests a lot!! They provide a really great early game boost, especially for someone like me who already loves the ocean. You essentially just get extra rewards for existing and exploring out there, which the ocean is already GREAT about with stuff like gnarwails and bottles and driftwood appearing around you. A particular thing I want to say I actually really appreciate is actually the "junk" being mentioned a lot in this thread, I generally go out to sea with just an oar and pinchin winch, and it feels SO good to get an ocean fishing rod or more parts (and boat patches) for my boat while I'm out there!! The papyrus and feather pencils (sometimes even a compass in that specific treasure) also allow me to share my map with other players after I've finished exploring all of that ocean. The rest of it is just nice... moon glass, malbatross feathers, salt, cookie cutter shells, gnarwail horns... sunken chests give such a nice selection of ocean loot that helps it all play into each other, AND you can even get some ruins stuff out there... they're great!

I wouldn't be opposed to a buff, giving them MORE good stuff only makes them better, but I also don't think it's super necessary.

1 minute ago, Primalflower said:

Disregarding the fact that the probability that something like this will happen is to the point where I would be incredibly surprised if someone who had been fishing chests for years straight would ever see such a thing happen, I think the fact that you can put a pinching winch on a grass raft negates nearly any possibility of such a thing being an issue in the first place. The pinching winch is much more forgiving in terms of range than it looks, and the grass raft is small enough to fit into pretty much any part of a brine shoal.

You'd be surprised how many times my salt formations have spawned in a group too close to each other, or chests have spawned under large trees in a waterlogged biome. Or, even better, on the edge of a single cell of water on the border of the world. This one was fun. So I talk from experience, since I periodically found myself without access to two of the four available chests. And like I said, losing all four is unlikely. But losing even one potential place is annoying. Maybe the grass boat will really help with this, I don't deny it, but it's not much smaller than usual, and I suspect there may still be places where it won't reach. I don't like the very idea that treasures can spawn under or too close to other objects.

I like the idea of having a new chest type that you have to find. Maybe it's because I get lucky, but I love the chests. They could for sure add some stuff though. Or at least increase the chance of finding treasure spots, maybe based on your relationship with pearl since shes the one sending out the bottles.

21 minutes ago, Lokena said:

You'd be surprised how many times my salt formations have spawned in a group too close to each other, or chests have spawned under large trees in a waterlogged biome. Or, even better, on the edge of a single cell of water on the border of the world. This one was fun. So I talk from experience, since I periodically found myself without access to two of the four available chests. And like I said, losing all four is unlikely. But losing even one potential place is annoying. Maybe the grass boat will really help with this, I don't deny it, but it's not much smaller than usual, and I suspect there may still be places where it won't reach. I don't like the very idea that treasures can spawn under or too close to other objects.

I think the fact that it can happen sucks a bit, and as much as I enjoy the little brine shoal spouts I'd have from time to time getting treasures I think maybe it should be avoided. Aside from that... I find myself... feeling like a bit of a stickler. You're sure there was no way for you to, maybe place a pinchin' winch on the very edge of the boat for any of those circumstances...?

How about something like this for worthwhile loot from every sunken chest? No random pools beyond this, you get 9 types of similar items every time

x1 gem (any type)
x1 cane / x1 strident trident
x1 glass cutter / x1 glass axe / x6 moonrock / x6 moon glass shard
x1 cookie cutter cap / x6 cookie cutter shells
x1 random blueprint / x6 gold?
x2 gears / x12 salt
x1 lantern / x1 miner hat
x6 boat patches / x1 sail / x1 anchor / x1 steering wheel / x1 boat kit

The loot would be useful ocean-related content. Maybe the trident will become more usable and useful with it having a 50% chance over a cane to be obtained in these?

It worked for guardian rework, so if we're gonna add some random to it, it has to be pools of items somewhat equivalent and useful to get every time. Having 1/6 to get a green gem would be great too, it being the rarest gem is really strange since all gems are useful in their own way.

1 hour ago, Primalflower said:

You're sure there was no way for you to, maybe place a pinchin' winch on the very edge of the boat for any of those circumstances...?

From what I remember, no. The roots of a large tree have a surprisingly large hitbox. In the case of the edge of the map, it was a singular water tile where the boat couldn't fit, yet it was too far for pinchin, since its radius definitely doesn't work for the whole tile. As for salt, sometimes they spawn in a "circle" with very small gaps between each formation. So if the chest is stuck inside and not near the "border", it will be difficult to get to it. Of course, in each of these cases, everything depends on the specific location and specific hitboxes of all the items involved. I was definitely "lucky", hehe.

Also, I hope none of what I said sounded aggressive or complaining to you. I'm not trying to reject your words. I'm glad they added things like a new small boat and a pier tile that you can put on the water. They can help you get to such hard-to-reach places, and that's great. I just shared my experience that such stupid situations happen, and no matter how great these additions are, they doesn't really solve the root of the problem - mainly because these things were not created to solve this very specific and rare issue. If this was fixed and the chests would start checking the space around them for spawn, that would be great. But I'm not going to shove this complaint down people's throats and whine about how it makes the game unbearable, because it's not. It's just something that happens once in a while and can bring a moderate degree of irritation to those who care about it. Thanks for the discussion and have a nice day.

I suppose the current loot pool is only trashure for people with old worlds that already have plenty of mats/tools. With that being said, I don’t really care for the loot as it is right now tbh. Didn’t know what to expect when we opened our first chest, but what I felt was the equivalent to getting socks on Christmas (I appreciate the thought, but I already have enough). I’d rather keep it locked and just have it around for base building aesthetics. I mean, c’mon, it looks dope. If anything, I just want to be able to reuse it as a regular chest. Unfortunately, I play on console so I can’t use all of these gorgeous mods. :frown:

It’s a decent idea that was more fun in Shipwrecked since you are probably already exploring the whole world anyway. In DST though you just need to find a few islands that you can guess the location of based on world generation and distance from the edge. So (at least for me) you are likely to just want to go there because, eh, might get ruins loot. And then it’s either a calm little sailing trip or an annoying seastack slalom trip.

X marks the spot is just a decent idea, though, like I said. You are taking time out of your day to maybe randomly get some good loot. Some kind of pirate guard challenge would have been more fun since they are already in the game now.

Some of the loot could be improved a bit, but if the world wrapped around like Shipwrecked these would become 100x easier to get so the loot wouldn't need to be amazing every time. I'd personally like some exclusive items from them, and maybe more rare ruins things for worlds without caves. 

I'd love to have a portable chest, even if it is a 9 slotter. I adore the Spectackler Box and pretty much rush it because I love fishing in this game (I know, I'm like one of the five people). Additionally just having more transportable containers besides Chester, Hutch, and Woby. Considering you'd still have to carry the thing I feel it doesn't negate the utility of the mobile chest friends. Having it be a reward from Crab King also seems rather fitting considering the uselessness of his drops.

On 03.08.2022 at 22:57, Hornete said:

Да, анимация разблокировки и открытия затонувшего сундука уже есть в игре, просто она не используется! Единственный оригинальный актив, который добавляет мод, — это ключ iirc.

Нет ничего особенного, что нужно сделать для реализации подвижного контейнера, я бы предположил, что причины отказа лежат в выборе дизайна.

It would not be bad, such storage would be balanced, the time of their transfer would be compensated by the fact that they can be placed incredibly close to each other

On 8/3/2022 at 1:35 PM, ZombieDupe said:

How about something like this for worthwhile loot from every sunken chest? No random pools beyond this, you get 9 types of similar items every time

The loot would be useful ocean-related content. Maybe the trident will become more usable and useful with it having a 50% chance over a cane to be obtained in these?

It worked for guardian rework, so if we're gonna add some random to it, it has to be pools of items somewhat equivalent and useful to get every time. Having 1/6 to get a green gem would be great too, it being the rarest gem is really strange since all gems are useful in their own way.

But then if strident trident is added to this crab king becomes even more useless than he currently is. I made a thread a while back saying crab king and/or his loot table should be improved, because once you have the pearl and the blueprint, (not even the item, mind you, just a blueprint for an overly expensive item) the only reason I've ever refought it was when they added the sick looking holiday adornments from him.

Archived