[Suggestion] Fencing Sword to be a good weapon too

The Fencing Sword has been added with the ability to s p i n walls and fence, which is incredibly welcome for the wall part since it wasn't possible to use the other angle on them yet.

My honest reaction to this information : reaction.thumb.gif.82f042f3d401d2344b51269a701befb4.gif

Just, with such a direction taken on the creation of this tool (only present in the combat filter) I would support a clear improvement of its purpose and design by adding over an extra advantage to it in combat. We're rarely getting new weapons but there's an unlimited amount of other possibilities to enrich the fighting approaches new ones could have by adding extras to do more than just straight up damage.
And DST could certainly use some more craftables and pro...toty...pa..ba...ble (?) ones since the current diversity is of a short range if you ask me.

Current stats and effect :

To let you know, currently the Fencing Sword does as much damage as a spear, has 200 durability (vs 150 for the spear) and does a jab attack, which is, currently the slowest attack mode between all equipped item.
It TECHNICALLY has something more to it but to know if that is entirely intended is to me a mystery at the time : rotating a wall / fence does a prop weapon attack, which will also make damage to any mob surrounding you, even followers which will get mad at you despite this does 0 damage. At least you know now.

Different suggestions :

We could think of many things, so here's a bunch I consider but to decide if it's one, two, or just on how good that thing could be with improvements is up to how you consider it, personally I'd just give it more.

• Directional AOE damage, so we still don't have a weapon that has multi-target damage as its principal and effective attack, and I never considered this to be too strong especially if that'd be for just a spear damage sort of weapon. I think it could fit the weapon which is really just piercing toward enemies.
    So I'd see this being an interesting selection to go against spiders, bees, anything swarmy.

• Your attacks cannot be canceled when attacked, jabs could have that special case of preventing knocking you during an attack so you can get this punch that you started.

• Inerrant defence while attacking, not quite the Shield of Terror, but a sort of "fencing" idea that would reduce a little your damage if you got attacked while you were committing an attack. I think restricting this bonus for a specific time instead of a permanent effect would make sense since you were dedicated to take the damage instead of the 'uh-oh, can't dodge' situation last result, so you could only do this in close range.
    Bonus point if it does a nice clinky sound on hit.
    Also I don't know if that should wear off durability, or at least a fix amount instead of increasing with damage taken, I don't want this to be too much but at the same the extra durability of this weapon need to survive even if it gets additional perks.

• More damages ? Depending of what's done, maybe a slight increment could be considered, if it gets AOE damage then sure, probably not, but for the rest the weapon already sacrifice a lot of the DPS a spear would have.

And that's just that, tell me what you think or what you would do for this weapon if anything. I'm suggesting this from the idea that the game hasn't as much weapon diversity as it could have, and with the fashion this weapon have, there's an easy opportunity to seize. :encouragement:

9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

since is a weapon used to re-post what if atacking at the same time that the enemy makes a riposte atack? is kinda risky if you dont time it well but can reflect a good amount of damage depending of the enemy

Low Ping Weapon

1 minute ago, Capybara007 said:

as for the new animation idk why they gave it to this

It's an unused animation from ages ago, and it fits the movement of fencing, I saw it as a "why not?" kind of thing. It's cool to see some of these long cut animations finally make it into the game.

3 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Low Ping Weapon

well, people with high ping cant barely kite so this weapon would actually help in their stand still tanking

also a lot of content is already made without taking in count 2mb/s connections like old hound waves or the new CC

they can always turn on lag compensation... oh wait

10 minutes ago, Hornete said:

It's an unused animation from ages ago, and it fits the movement of fencing, I saw it as a "why not?" kind of thing. It's cool to see some of these long cut animations finally make it into the game.

to me its feels kinda off, like "yeah we can do it, watch this" spear and bspear are items that should also have that animation

its the same feeling i got from the 4 ingredients recipes introduced in the monkey update, it feels like they just added a recipe like that just to show that they now can do it, there are lots of other items in the game that would also thematically need 4 ingredients but only use 3

17 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

i do want another weapon but we should all just call this item a tool, not a weapon, its a "sword" for the pun of "riposting" instead of "reposting", as for the new animation idk why they gave it to this, i assume to show it off

Fair if it stays that way too, no big deal with this, but having two effects into one item sounds about fine as well I believe. That's to increase the scope of what it can bring on top of what it funnily does, in weapons that works as tool we already have a bunch of these like the trident, battle paddle or weather pain.
But yeah this specific case here is still different so I'm mostly wondering how okay it would be to breach the tool only aspect of what has all the criteria to be a weapon too, I get how you can fell the other way around this.

I would like it either to be moved to Tools tab and make it destroy Fences in one hit or remain in Weapons tab but have its damage increased to 51 (it would work like Cork Bat from Hamlet - noticeable delay between strikes but deals a nice amount of damage for such low cost, it's durability should also drop to 150 in this case).

I like the idea of area swing-like attack but would prefer it for another weapon with a sharp edge to slash instead of a pointy end to stab.

As a side note the graphic of this "weapon" reminds me of the Spiral Spear from The Forge and its special Sky Lunge ability, maybe some day... Combat refresh?

2 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

LOL. Worst weapon in the series. What were Klei thinking adding a weapon with 20 uses and 51 damage.

You could easily mass produce them.. it was pretty great, sure beats not having a weapon at all at times.

So the Fencing Sword has been changed (and I really wish this gets reverted) so it can only rotate fences and no longer walls, as now I don't even see a reason to rotate them since I've always placed them properly so the tool is just ultimately a situational mistake fixer where I'd be just destroying them.

Even if walls were to be rotate-able again, likely it would be best if they could be rotated from camera rotation initial placements like fences always did. That would be better consistency.

Anyhow, in that regard, I still think that this... tool, is too dependent of a whoopsie to be left as a joke weapon. Adding only a bit more would make it relevant on a larger field of things.

3 hours ago, ADM said:

as now I don't even see a reason to rotate them since I've always placed them properly so the tool is just ultimately a situational mistake fixer where I'd be just destroying them.

The reason this tool was introduced now is largely to rectify an issue created by a bug that briefly existed where large amounts of people's fences got improperly faced on load, and some people unfortunately saving their worlds before the bug was fixed. Far more damage than you'd probably want to try to fix with a hammer.

Archived