Is wortox overpowered?

I'm a little suspicious, as I'm main Wortox and I've been playing with him for a few thousand hours, but I believe he's perfect and just needs a few tweaks, especially some that fit his personality. Although the new beta changes are very welcome (even if I disagree with him gaining sanity :wilsondisapproving:), I believe he needs some mechanics involving the Krampus, since they have a story. I've left the idea elsewhere, but: for him to spawn Krampus faster than other characters would be awesome.

I think people love to scream op when a new mechanic is introduced without thinking of the implications. 
the teleport is STRONG for sure. Gives wortox a lot of traveling ability that he didnt have. But, a wx78 could probably be where he wants to go before he could gather enough souls to hop there though. So could someone on a beefalo with a gossamer saddle. 
STRONG? For sure. OP? Definitely not. Its no stronger than wandas teleport watch, and he definitely doesnt have the rest of her kit. Its more of an early midgame convenience. Late game itd be better to be wanda for teleporting purposes. Its his strongest perk now, which isnt saying as much as you’d hope it was saying

pre-beta Wortox is a mid character at best, if we talk about efficiency(which, imo, isn't the most important thing when it comes to vidio games, but whatever) 

he doesn't really have a lot of perks in general, just healing and soul hops, and has no progression to his power. while his healing allows someone without much experience to aid in battles, usually cutting preparation time for early bosses, it usually stops being useful after first winter or so(depends on pace at which you play, can still be useful later on into the game for some people), and while soul hops can be used to cross small gaps early game or dodge atacks, he doesn't get much better with time. 

now, beta Wortox is in a better spot, i'd say. he got a few nice tweaks, but what most people care about right now is his new(sorta new) ability - soul hopping through map. it's... alright? now, an experienced Wortox player can be more than a healing machine. with the ability to get to places in a certain radius almost instantly for a soul cost, Wortox players can accomplish more stuff quicker in general, and ability to get to islands without needed to sail there every time can be pretty handy as well(also helpful in caves) 

now, does it make Wortox op? (overpowered, for those wondering what the forums are talking about 24/7) 

meh. i, personaly, don't think so. it is true that Wortox can save time by soul hopping here and there, but it's not like it's the only good perk in the whole game. 

a lot of characters save time by doing certain work more efficiently(Wurt can use merms to quickly farm stone and wood, or open stone fruits, mine marble trees etc, Wolfgang kills things faster, saving time AND resources, Wigfrid, much like Wortox, can provide team with some healing and armor in early game, making prep time shorter, the list goes on), so in the end, it's just a matter of which character appeals to you more, and which character you have the most fun as. 

14 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Wortox is not OP, but his fast travel is.

I'd say it's more balanced than Wanda's I'd say the only thing keeping people from completely losing their minds over her's is that it's locked behind either time gated content or content that's very time consuming(sunken chests)

I really think that people who think the latest buffs have made Wortox OP are seriously underestimating how annoying being a monster is, or how tedious (and without the right setups, often time-inefficient) it would be to keep enough souls in stock to just soul hop everywhere you go.

Overpowered? No.. but I would’ve loved some more unique features that make you play the game in a completely different way- one of the ideas I’ve seen bounced around a lot is due to the enormous horns on his head he shouldn’t be able to wear head armor- or if he does it hangs off his horn being significantly less effective

This would allow the healing from souls to get a massive buff, while balancing it out by not being able to properly wear head gear.

I don’t think Wortox is “OP” but I most certainly do think that compared to DLC characters that came AFTER him he ain’t got much going for his playstyle at all..

Wurt, Wormwood, Walter and Wanda have unique structures, Crafts, interactions with the world and more- Wortox… punches a few butterflies and he’s got everything he will ever be able to do.

Overpowered? no, good? absolutely, instead of losing a bit of my own soul whenever i teleport i absolutely DESPISE using the lazy explorer i get to lose someone elses soul! albeit there are better characters than him even with the ability to speedrun ancient guardian post FW faster than anyone else.

Personally though, as long as im not having a heart attack every time i right click im happy.

2 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I'd say it's more balanced than Wanda's I'd say the only thing keeping people from completely losing their minds over her's is that it's locked behind either time gated content or content that's very time consuming(sunken chests)

The difference is that with Wanda’s watches you can only teleport to one location per watch, and you need to actually go to the location to set the watch, and the watches have a cooldown, and they take up space in your inventory. With wortox you just need to clear the map, which is smth everyone does in the first couple days, and you can go anywhere, anytime (almost), at barely any cost. Wanda’s watches are only really better than wortox’s souls after multiple in-game years.

8 minutes ago, goblinball said:

The difference is that with Wanda’s watches you can only teleport to one location per watch, and you need to actually go to the location to set the watch, and the watches have a cooldown, and they take up space in your inventory. With wortox you just need to clear the map, which is smth everyone does in the first couple days, and you can go anywhere, anytime (almost), at barely any cost. Wanda’s watches are only really better than wortox’s souls after multiple in-game years.

You can not get nearly as far nearly as fast as you are insinuating. Most teleports are one way, or you need to stock up on butterflies/bees with a net. You can only cross about half to two thirds of the map with his teleport atm. Its twenty mobs you need to kill. Its 40 smacks if you are AT your mob farm minimum. So either a fresh hambat made almost every time or half of a proper weapon. I suppose once you get an eye shield it would matter less but still. You have to successfully kill 20 things every single big half map jump. Yeah you can kill a few things here and there but honestly its not all that fast. The coolest bit is jumping across the ocean. But honestly cross country travel just isnt that fast

14 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Thing is Wortox constantly has to resupply himself with souls to do it meaning he's going out of his way to do it every time he wants to fast travel once Wanda has her's setup all she needs to do is wait it's not like you need to constantly teleport around the map every second so the cooldown is basically non existent to her the watch does take up space in your inventory but you don't need to carry the watch on you at all times all you need is to teleport to where you store you fast travel watches which can lead anywhere in the world across shards yes Wortox's is ready day one but his fast travel isn't on her level of convivence also it really comes down to how much effort you want to put into setting up her teleportation network you don't need to wait multiple years to set it up since sunken chests are available day 1 and all year round and drop canes and gems setting up not just her fast travel but her group fast travel as well.  

No he is not. None of the characters are and I'm sick to death of hearing it. Why are ppl asking to nerf characters they don't even play? I don't get it. It happens every time a character gets reworked. If you don't play that character why do you care? Ppl get a character they don't normally play nerfed and never play them again. Why? Is it because you don't want a character to be better than your favorite character? If so, it's a bit small minded. If it's A big  exploite, sure tweak it. But the op argument is getting old. Klei is going to continually add more threats and our characters need to grow with them. 

Sorry I vented, resume discussion..

And no I don't play wortox

Wanda and wortox tho, nothing but question marks on that topic till I do a play through. I'm concerned it's a little to close to the same thing???

No character is Overpowered (Except Wes, nerf him plz). They all have their roles. Just depends on game play preference really. Wortox, for me at least and my minimal time playing him, only has the downside of difficulty recovering sanity. That's fine, I guess though I prefer more impactful downsides. (Warly and Wormwood)
Note: I only play Solo.

Archived