Spending summer on boat is actually fun and viable now

Spending summer in any other place than Oasis or Caves widely considered unpopular. But with new update exploring a ocean in summer is actually pretty solid choice, With low cost to make a boat and how high self-sufficient they are, why not?

To thrive in the seas you need to make at least such boat, containing every critically needed structure:

20220704120523_1.thumb.jpg.fa5cc10463216d4c37ecf025f7f603d1.jpg

Of couse we need the main 4 structures to make our new home for next 2 hours: the boat, anchor, sail and steering wheel

In addition, we need deck illuminator for light, crockpot for cooking, icebox for regular food and tin fishin' bin for storing fish

And our main fire protection: fire pump

But what items are needed for survival? Excluding the most basic grass, twigs, logs and flint/gold the list is pretty short. The must-have is sea fishing rod for easy fish supply, any oar, boat patches for safety (depending on your seafaring skills, but at least 10) and for summer cooling and additional fire-safety - Luxury Fan

But what about summer items? Thermal Firepit for cooling? Realistically, 1-2 Luxury Fans (or 1 killed Moose/Goose in Spring) and Eyebrella or items with same insulation is enough to survive whole summer easily. Of couse its your ship and building firepit is recomended if you unsure or didn't spend time to kill Moose/Goose for its feathers.

Food is not a big concern, you can either stockpile something like jerky in fridge or supply yourself on sea with fish, kill sharks for meat and hounds for monster meat. Kelp is our main vegetable, so with all this even as Warly you can have very good diet.

Im not entirely sure about Antlion due to the fact that I always kill him before exploring seas. Its better to kill it to be entirely safe whole summer.

Remember that its a bare-minimum for comfortable seafaring, you can make better boat, exclude fire pump if you sure you have enough waterballoons/Luxury fans to protect boat, etc.

5 minutes ago, Nino123 said:

No more fire hounds in ocean ?

Hounds waves while sailing haven't been a thing for a very long time.

They only happen at sea if you were on land when the hound wave warning started (so you hopped onto the boat right after the wave started).

Since you  already have a fire pump in case of wildfire and a fridge builded, you could alternate between 2 thermal stone for cooling instead of using a luxury fan.

I'm not sure about the idea of drifting around and loading lots of different parts of the map as wildfire fuel. Otherwise I'm really happy that we have another option. 

2 hours ago, lakhnish said:

Hounds waves while sailing haven't been a thing for a very long time.

They only happen at sea if you were on land when the hound wave warning started (so you hopped onto the boat right after the wave started).

Hilariously pirate raids work the opposite way- they spawn on the sea but if you are near land and retreat to it they will follow you back onto land and THEN proceed to loot anything near by before returning to their vessel, I was shocked/sad when I put storage chests along the coast and they came ashore and robbed me blind.

1 hour ago, W0l0l0 said:

I'm not sure about the idea of drifting around and loading lots of different parts of the map as wildfire fuel. Otherwise I'm really happy that we have another option. 

I haven’t ever messed with them but I hear that Above Average Trees completely prevents Wildfires.. so you can probably just line those up around the edges of your lands and be 100% safe to sail in summer. But don’t take my word for that though, I haven’t tried to do it myself.

to be fair, I've been doing this since RWYS, mostly hunting for scorching sunfish, bottles, lunar island and whatever. it's perfectly viable, though I wouldn't even bother with a crockpot or fire pump, just stock up on food (summer isn't that long), and use water balloons to extinguish any fires that pop up, especially if you're using bulbous lightbugs, they're flammable and like to set everything ablaze.

with Moon Quay, it might actually become fun, but it was pretty damn dull beforehand, though you suffer from basically no dangers beside overheating if you bring plenty of sanity food. scorching sunfish + insulated pack are amazing for winter though, especially if you despise thermal stones, but a Warly switch and hot dragon chili salad can be easier - especially since summer is also prime time to farm dragonfruit and pepper down in the caves.

5 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

In general, wildfires (and regular fires) could stand for a rework.

You have Winter, where everything gets covered in snow, to Summer, where everything gets lit on fire and destroyed. Like 0 to 100.

I'm confused what did the update add to change this because all the things you mentioned have been in the game for a while

13 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

the wildfire radius around the player is only like 6 tiles, that's only a fraction of the radius in which objects are loaded

On 7/4/2022 at 8:00 AM, W0l0l0 said:

I might be wrong, but doesn't the game prioritize lureplants over everything else for wildfires? If so, just plant one on your boat and bring a watering can or something.

Ive actually been doing this for a while now, sailing the sea's all year long is completely possible with a good enough boat.
All you need is the usual boat stuff (sail(s), wheel, anchor). Then a Fridge, crockpot and a source of light.

As for how to maintain your temperature, My personal strategy is to actually go out first during the summer, using 2 thermal stones in the fridge to keep me cool, and I like to fish for Sunfish, which are able to keep you warm if they are in your inventory. you only need about 2-3 per person on your boat.
   Then from there, autumn is a breeze and so is winter, with your sunfish, you never have to worry about getting cold, and while it is winter, you should catch some Ice Breams, which in turn, will help keep you cool in the Summer. Due too summer's sped up rotting, you may need about 4 Ice Breams per person
   As for fires, personally I find the water pump to be too unreliable while moving, forcing you to stop your boat first before it can really put out fires, So I recommend using the luxury fans whenever a fire starts (But personally, I just play with wildfires off)

For light, if im in early game, deck illuminator. But late game I prefer either the Enlightened Crown or a MushLight in the middle of the boat
Basically anything that doesn't give off heat, due to making summer more difficult.

2 hours ago, Psychic Chicken said:

I might be wrong, but doesn't the game prioritize lureplants over everything else for wildfires? If so, just plant one on your boat and bring a watering can or something.

Moving boats and Lureplants don't mix super well in my experience.

On 7/9/2022 at 4:48 PM, Psychic Chicken said:

Why not?

It might not be as big an issue with a single one, but on occasions where I've rowed around one of my boats with leafy meat farms on them, physics have gotten messed up and weren't fixed until I logged out and back in. It was during solo play so I don't know if this was a server or client issue.

I do most of my boating during the first autumn with the Moon Quay to try and rush for the Above Average Trees so that can be where I spend most of my summer. Actually pretty fun now that we have so many boating options.

Archived