i wonder, whats the actualy point of that feature even existing? like, it does nothing whatsoever, it is a litteral punishment for killing hostile creatures, i mean, you litteraly become a worse wilson, that disease/curse/mistake is just there, an anti feature if you so will, existing only for punishing with out any pay offs at all, it does not have any other usefull or plays with other mechanics of the game, it simply just exist, and im so sure if a mod exist to just remove the curse trinkets, nothing at all would change, so i wonder, what exactly is the point of that? and becoming monkey is not the answere, since thats the punishment for just playing the game

2 minutes ago, Flarezen said:

Pretty sure during yesterday rhymes with klei stream, one of them said there a way to avoid the curse but no one has discovered it yet. Avoid the curse not cure it with bananas from moon quay queen.

the way to avoit the curse is to not get close to the monkey after they die, since the curse trinket is actualy an item that drops from them, so if you kill them and moce far away fast, you see the thing on the ground, but the thing is still on the ground and dont seem to despawn, so it may as well not matter

4 minutes ago, Flarezen said:

Pretty sure during yesterday rhymes with klei stream, one of them said there a way to avoid the curse but no one has discovered it yet

That section was immediately followed by a slide showing animations of to the curse being undone (give bananas to the monkey queen).

14 minutes ago, Flarezen said:

Pretty sure during yesterday rhymes with klei stream, one of them said there a way to avoid the curse but no one has discovered it yet. Avoid the curse not cure it with bananas from moon quay queen.

I haven't checked all the beta update notes so I'm wondering has being able to feed your cursed trinkets to a wormhole been patched out?

I do have to agree regarding the curse, it's the only part of this update I do not like, everything else has been great though.

My main issue with the curse is that I don't find Wonkey an enjoyable character to play, and having to go back to the monkey queen every single time I get a couple trinkets on accident just ends up being a tedious time sink rather than challenging, especially once the player's path to the monkey queen has already been secured enough.

As someone who prefers playing Wendy, Warly or sometimes Willow, as they're all characters whos playstyles I enjoy, having to suddenly be forced out of that playstyle to play Wonkey just takes fun out of the game for me, especially in Warly runs, I play Warly due to his downside more than his upside, I like the food variety requirement, I find it makes DST alot more enjoyable in my experience, suddenly being dragged out of that playstyle by being turned into Wonkey just takes the fun out for me.

I don't like the curse either. Especially that its tied to nearly unavoidable trinkets that clutter your inventory.

I would rather the curse was transfered via getting hit by Monkeys rather than for killing them.

Or something similar. Without this cursed trinket BS.

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

I don't like the curse either. Especially that its tied to nearly unavoidable trinkets that clutter your inventory.

I would rather the curse was transfered via getting hit by Monkeys rather than for killing them.

Or something similar. Without this cursed trinket BS.

Klei has already made the animated short- that is what they intend for the pirates & the cursed necklaces to do.. and if they changed that it would no longer match the animated short.

Its clear from the short that these Monkey raids are intended to be trouble- from the sheer number of sea sailing scallywags that try to commander your treasures & vessel, to the Trinkets you can’t get rid of because they follow you

(please Klei make it so I can drop the trinket and it still follow along the ground back to my inventory!!) that would be so awesome to just watch the thing I just tried to throw down and run away from creeping back up to me.

my only problem with wonkey is just how little he does, he's not really a punishment because he doesn't really have any downsides but also has no perks besides the running thing

imo wonkey should be expanded upon a lot more, personally I would've really liked if wonkey locked you out of crafting a lot of things or prevented you from interacting with certain structures/tools but enabled you to interact with the monkeys in the island in many more ways, maybe befriend the pirate captains and go on treasure hunts with them for exclusive items

I think it'd be really fun if wonkey had absurd downsides like that that made you want to transform back asap, but you could choose to put up with them for an extended period of time for the possibility of getting a really good item, maybe something like a blueprint for an upgraded cutlass

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

my only problem with wonkey is just how little he does, he's not really a punishment because he doesn't really have any downsides but also has no perks besides the running thing

imo wonkey should be expanded upon a lot more, personally I would've really liked if wonkey locked you out of crafting a lot of things or prevented you from interacting with certain structures/tools but enabled you to interact with the monkeys in the island in many more ways, maybe befriend the pirate captains and go on treasure hunts with them for exclusive items

I think it'd be really fun if wonkey had absurd downsides like that that made you want to transform back asap, but you could choose to put up with them for an extended period of time for the possibility of getting a really good item, maybe something like a blueprint for an upgraded cutlass

I agree it'd be cool if he had more perks and a downside but I don't want his perk to be more befriend this mob woup we have far too many now.

Now there is something I do recommend if the current trinket system is really annoying people......I just ask everyone to hold their torches and pitchforks...

Spoiler

Seriously in allergic torches and pitchforks...

Spoiler

What if we had a curse meter instead?

Spoiler

Put your pitchforks and torches down please.

The curse is both a curse (obviously), and also a tool for the player to take advantage of.

You can transform into Wonkey so you can collect stuff from Moon Quay Island without being harassed by the monkeys, but it's also a new challenge to overcome when you want to go back to your regular character. That's the purpose of the curse, in my eyes.

5 hours ago, Prajdo said:

The worst thing about it is that it literally kills possible future appearance of Wilbur.

I think I saw on the wiki that his skull was literally just Wilbur's

which is weird, you know that cutting corners thread? Maybe that should be there.

43 minutes ago, Psychic Chicken said:

The curse is both a curse (obviously), and also a tool for the player to take advantage of.

You can transform into Wonkey so you can collect stuff from Moon Quay Island without being harassed by the monkeys, but it's also a new challenge to overcome when you want to go back to your regular character. That's the purpose of the curse, in my eyes.

or, just destroy all there homes instead, fire staff exist for a reason, so BURN THEM! not like they actualy care, they go into the burned house anyways, so still just hammer it down afterwards aswell, not like you get less resource and charocoal from burning the house andd then hammering them, no need to do anything else

18 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

or, just destroy all there homes instead, fire staff exist for a reason, so BURN THEM! not like they actualy care, they go into the burned house anyways, so still just hammer it down afterwards aswell, not like you get less resource and charocoal from burning the house andd then hammering them, no need to do anything else

Forget the burning.

They can still for some reason enter their burned down houses and stash all the loot they collected in them.

Just smash their houses with hammer right away (be sure to not have any items on you except held hammer) then retreat back to your boat , arm yourself and kill all the homeless monkeys.

Done island is clear and you can peacefuly farm the portal.

Just now, ALCRD said:

Forget the burning.

They can still for some reason enter their burned down houses with all the loot they collected off the floor.

Just smash their houses with hammer (be sure to not have any items on you except held hammer) then retreat back to your boat , arm yourself and kill all the homeless monkeys.

Done island is clear and you can peacefuly farm the portal.

as i said, they dont care that there home is burned

2 minutes ago, Echsrick said:

as i said, they dont care that there home is burned

I'm just saying better to just quickly demolish them so no items that one might want to loot have chance to be "lost"

So no burning. Just hammer smash right away.

Just now, ALCRD said:

I'm just saying better to just quickly demolish them so no items that one might want to loot have chance to be "lost"

So no burning. Just hammer smash right away.

sure that, i just wanted to mention that burned houses are kinda bugged in a way

3 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

I agree it'd be cool if he had more perks and a downside but I don't want his perk to be more befriend this mob woup we have far too many now.

Now there is something I do recommend if the current trinket system is really annoying people......I just ask everyone to hold their torches and pitchforks...

Reveal hidden contents

Seriously in allergic torches and pitchforks...

Reveal hidden contents

What if we had a curse meter instead?

Reveal hidden contents

Put your pitchforks and torches down please.

Spoiler

Curse meter
When it fills to 100, you become Wonkey
Slowly diminishes overtime when not Wonkey(Diminishing faster the closer it is to empty, though not too fast), does not diminish when Wonkey, requiring finding the monkey queen.
Each cursed trinket picked up adds 10 curse to the meter, rather then them hogging an inventory slot.
Giving the monkey queen a banana instantly removes 40 curse from the meter.
When Wonkey, emptying the curse meter undoes the curse, returning you to your prior form.

Spoiler

I feel like that would be a good implementation of it, many will likely disagree, but I feel like it gets the mechanic across without being too annoying, especially with it diminishing meaning if you pick up one or two trinkets, you can just wait it out while doing other things(like maybe working on your base?) rather then immediately wasting time going back to the monkey queen.

10 hours ago, Echsrick said:

it does nothing whatsoever, it is a litteral punishment

You just described a curse perfectly. 

I love it, it makes pirates feel like an obstacle you can't fully win just by being prepared enough. This curse makes raids terrifying and has single-handedly encouraged me to accept being robbed instead of fighting just to avoid getting a trinket.

I actually wish the trinkets were more invasive then they are now, appearing in small ornate chests and graves.

5 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

You just described a curse perfectly. 

I love it, it makes pirates feel like an obstacle you can't fully win just by being prepared enough. This curse makes raids terrifying and has single-handedly encouraged me to accept being robbed instead of fighting just to avoid getting a trinket.

I actually wish the trinkets were more invasive then they are now, appearing in small ornate chests and graves.

Make a mod then for your personal masochistic needs and keep rest of us out of it ;)

Archived