[Game Update] - 513098

4 hours ago, Primalflower said:

damn, those numbers still suck horribly. it isn't good to have a random little clock constantly counting down to when you 80 hp and 40 sanity, which is more than half of your health. Let alone the fact that powder monkeys would have enthusiastically done around, if not more of the 450 hp that a log suit affords you, meaning you'll more often than not have to go back and get another one afterwards too.

you can bring healing food/items and more logs and pig skin to make armor

isnt that big of a deal for exploring 1/4 of the ocean...

edit: and with the primal monkey loot you will have a proper weapon not a spear for the next enemy encounter....

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

11 hours ago, lakhnish said:

@Jason Is it intended that the ocean trawler doesn't spawn Malbatross if it takes fish from Malba shoals?

I hope so, yes I'm one of the weirdos that fish in these spots because... it's plenty of fish, until Malbatros appear to say "You took 2 fishes from my spot? Then I'm going to break your boat" Now I can place Ocean Trawler around the spot, and get a lot of fish, safety, until the monkeys breaks in and stole all from me.

Edited by Memetan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jason said:
  • Pirate Powder Monkeys steal without doing damage now to make non aggressive solutions more approachable.
  • Pirate Raids scale a little with the age of the world

I really appreciate all the non-aggressive options we've gotten for dealing with pirates.

The scaling, however, feels needlessly punishing. Early game raids are only marginally easier than they were before, while late game raids are marginally harder. Meanwhile, since the number of Prime Mates remains stuck at 1 (thank god), the actual loot does not scale with the day count, which results in the same loot becoming more difficult and costly to acquire as the days go by.

This seems fairly counterintuitive to me, because it incentivizes players to rush the monkey island as early as possible, get as many Captain's Tricorn as they can while the raids are still "easy" (though you're still gonna get 3-4 monkeys usually), then ignore every pirate raid after that, since the loot is no longer worth the resource cost involved in actually fighting the pirates. Also, RIP the Battle Oar. Because once you get your 2 Captain's Tricorn, you're never gonna see one of these ever again.

Also, the options for actually killing the pirates remain lackluster. You can't use cannons or burn the boat, because then the Prime Mate will abandon ship and you won't get the drops that actually matter. And you can't use Ice Staves or Sleep Darts because they count as attacks and will make the rest of the monkeys aggro on you the moment you incapacitate a single one. So, once again, your options boil down to:

• facetanking (high resource cost)
  • panflute (still a high resource cost, though arguably cheaper than facetanking)
  • followers (cheap, but clunky to ferry around a bunch of pigs/bunnymen just to fight pirates)
  • Like 8
  • Big Ups 1

2 hours ago, Memetan said:

I hope so

Considering that I got ninja'd by Jesse, seems like its going to be a thing.

Just to clarify, when Malbatross spawns, they don't attack the player unless provoked, even when fishing to spawn it spawn.

In the case of the ocean trawler, Malbatross will eat the fish in the trawler, but that can't happen unless you do purposefully did it since right now the Trawlers won't spawn Malbatross.

14 hours ago, splorange said:

with this patch you can no longer build a perpetual motion machine with a circle of boats with nautopilots, really sucks because i saw a lot of people excited over this quirk and i hate to see it gone.

I agree. If there is a way to just have an extra magnet that had the same coding as the previous one would be fantastic. This way we would have the both mechanics instead of sacrificing one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lakhnish said:

@Jason Is it intended that the ocean trawler doesn't spawn Malbatross if it takes fish from Malba shoals?

do you think Klei would ever make it easy for us to spawn malbatross.Malbatross is and will ever be the hardest mob/boss to find in this game. I'm pretty sure Malbatross is an Easteregg. :D

7 hours ago, Primalflower said:

damn, those numbers still suck horribly. it isn't good to have a random little clock constantly counting down to when you 80 hp and 40 sanity, which is more than half of your health. Let alone the fact that powder monkeys would have enthusiastically done around, if not more of the 450 hp that a log suit affords you, meaning you'll more often than not have to go back and get another one afterwards too.

It really does feel like you really don't want to try and have content roll over dead at your feet or something why should this content roll over dead with minimal effort if the player chooses to be lazy? I've said multiple times there's items you can use to make the fight easier with minimal effort but you seem to gloss over anything that doesn't suit your nerf it narrative and it comes off as disingenuous.

• Like 1

Just now, Mysterious box said:

there's items you can use to make the fight easier with minimal effort

Are those items... the panflute?

Cause I don't see either Ice Staves or Sleep Darts working vs 5 Powder Monkeys. Between the two, Sleep Darts have a bit of an edge cause 1 is enough to put a Powder Monkey to sleep, but Jet Feathers are not particularly abundant and the sleep dart is still an attack, so it will aggro all the other monkeys and good luck managing to aim amid the cluster[redacted] happening on your itty bitty boat.

Ice Staves, on the other hand, I'll agree are "cheap", but they take 2 shots per Powder Monkey and also have the aggro and aiming issues that Sleep Darts have.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Cause I don't see either Ice Staves or Sleep Darts working vs 5 Powder Monkeys. Between the two, Sleep Darts have a bit of an edge cause 1 is enough to put a Powder Monkey to sleep, but Jet Feathers are not particularly abundant and the sleep dart is still an attack, so it will aggro all the other monkeys and good luck managing to aim amid the cluster[redacted] happening on your itty bitty boat.

Ice Staves, on the other hand, I'll agree are "cheap", but they take 2 shots per Powder Monkey and also have the aggro and aiming issues that Sleep Darts have.

is called crowd control, you reduce the number of enemies fighting at the same time

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

you can start firing on them before they reach you to slow them in coming closer and even in close range I've not had issues with sleep darts also as far as aiming issues go are they issues that come up when using a controller? If not I not sure what they are specifically and that's not me being sarcastic or anything I haven't had any issues in this area also from my testing before the nerf I've only ever come across 4 powder monkeys and 1 captain per rain was there times where it spawned 5 powder monkeys and a captain? Ice staff is in a similar situation as unlike Walter's slingshot they attack as fast as a normal weapon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Just to clarify, when Malbatross spawns, they don't attack the player unless provoked, even when fishing to spawn it spawn.

beha.thumb.PNG.c9f3df8c6a5e02f7635570f7d80acf90.PNG

Still can't fish because Malbatross attacks my boat when I'm fishing. So the Ocean Trawler helps me a lot.

1 hour ago, GLERMZ said:

Malbatross is and will ever be the hardest mob/boss to find in this game. I'm pretty sure Malbatross is an Easteregg.

I did it again and cost me just 2 Deep Bass, when I tried to catch a third fish Malbatross just appear, saw me, and broke my mast. IDK if I'm lucky or the opposite. For me, Malbatross is easier to find than Rockjaw or Gnarwail.

fkc.thumb.PNG.e7bdb062684b113fd2ab301c32d5d98a.PNGhaaaaaaaaaaaaa.thumb.PNG.24a3e4e89fb48a98b0100211c8ea73f4.PNG

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

I really appreciate all the non-aggressive options we've gotten for dealing with pirates.

The scaling, however, feels needlessly punishing. Early game raids are only marginally easier than they were before, while late game raids are marginally harder. Meanwhile, since the number of Prime Mates remains stuck at 1 (thank god), the actual loot does not scale with the day count, which results in the same loot becoming more difficult and costly to acquire as the days go by.

This seems fairly counterintuitive to me, because it incentivizes players to rush the monkey island as early as possible, get as many Captain's Tricorn as they can while the raids are still "easy" (though you're still gonna get 3-4 monkeys usually), then ignore every pirate raid after that, since the loot is no longer worth the resource cost involved in actually fighting the pirates. Also, RIP the Battle Oar. Because once you get your 2 Captain's Tricorn, you're never gonna see one of these ever again.

Also, the options for actually killing the pirates remain lackluster. You can't use cannons or burn the boat, because then the Prime Mate will abandon ship and you won't get the drops that actually matter. And you can't use Ice Staves or Sleep Darts because they count as attacks and will make the rest of the monkeys aggro on you the moment you incapacitate a single one. So, once again, your options boil down to:

• facetanking (high resource cost)
  • panflute (still a high resource cost, though arguably cheaper than facetanking)
  • followers (cheap, but clunky to ferry around a bunch of pigs/bunnymen just to fight pirates)

Followers are awesome though so it evens out

Maybe you would give them your extra hats? I dunno I don't play beta branch

Fun gaming fact:
Monkeys have what can be referred to as herd mechanics.

Herd mechanics in this game do a few things. They make all members of the same species [which in this case means all monkeys] aggro onto you should you attack one.

The way sleeping works, a mob loses aggro when falling asleep and when a mob aggros onto the player while asleep it will wake up again and resume combat.

Herd mechanics, in turn, make the sleeping monkeys wake up again after you attacked and maybe took down one or two of them, which means you'd have to use the panflute again or it will be a mostly wasted effort.

So sleep is a dud.

Followers are out of the question in this case because after 2 raids youll be wonkey who gets aggroed by any non character specific follower you could have unless you IMMEDIATELY B-line to the moon quay to get uncursed.
Ice staffs immediately aggro all other pirates on board, and retargetting can be awkward when it needs to be done so quickly, and even then they can maybe stun two monkeys at most before they hop onto your boat. Not to mention that this literally won't even be close to a good option for people playing on controller.

• Like 15

Im a lil bit sad due the fact monkes get smashed for real by cannons and all the potential stuggle they could might offer is gone

I mean I really miss the ol times when the game bullies me and we almost got it in this update : / 

• Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, MrSoratori said:

Im a lil bit sad due the fact monkes get smashed for real by cannons and all the potential stuggle they could might offer is gone

I mean I really miss the ol times when the game bullies me and we almost got it in this update : / 

Sadly it seems we're not allowed to have threatening content and said content must roll over dead the moment they dare approach us and if it doesn't fall with very minimal effort to the holy log suit and spear combo it's completely unreasonable. I shudder to think what would have happened to hound waves and depth worm waves had they become a thing later into this game's history.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Shopcat 2

6 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I shudder to think what would have happened to hound waves and depth worm waves had they become a thing later into this game's history.

Maybe they would be actually bearable and I wouldn't see them get turned off entirely by 90% of the people I've ever played a long-term world with.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, meow meow meow said:

Maybe they would be actually bearable and I wouldn't see them get turned off entirely by 90% of the people I've ever played a long-term world with.

Do you remember when don't starve together was described as a uncompromising survival game? Well pepperidge farms remembers...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Do you remember when don't starve together was described as a uncompromising survival game? Well pepperidge farms remembers...

if i am being honest it is quite frustrating to have been enjoying ocean content for years now while seemingly everyone else on this forum was super vocal about hating it, and then literally the one time that ocean content was added that i don't enjoy i cannot express that without people telling me its fine and good and its uncompromising and i should just let luigi play for me or whatever

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Yes I do indeed remember the catch phrase that was not even accurate all the way back then.

People keep bringing it up and I dont understand why that'd be such a "gotcha" moment as if all the arguments anyone could bring up are immediately null and void, which only gets funnier when the only ""uncompromising"" features of ds were hound waves, which most consider overly punishing and not that fun to begin with, and and maybe wildfires from rog, which people view mostly the same way as hound waves. Other than that the game was even easier than dst is currently.

The only reason people might have viewed it as more difficult was that we all had no idea what we were doing, were learning the game's ins and outs, didnt have thousands upon thousands of hours of playtime and if we wanna talk REALLY early, the wiki was still in its infancy.

• Like 9