When should I choose a main?

I have been playing the game for a few weeks and my longest playthrough lasted 25 days. I have played so far mostly as Wilson to learn the game better and I want to find a character I am good at that (a.k.a a main), but I don't want it to interfere with me learning the game. Is there a specific point you would suggest me to start finding one (after surviving winter, a full year, killing the final boss etc.)? How should I go about finding it? 

just have fun. You will end up finding having more fun with some characters than others or having easier time learning the game with certain characters and having harder times with others

have patience learning the game, is a 1 time experience that some of us miss

edit. to answere your question correctly, there isnt any point where you should find a main, you dont even need a main. People have mains because they enjoy that characters over others but isnt a moba so you dont have that need of shine and master a single or couple of characters 

I agree with everything Arubaro said, and I would just add that once you feel comfortable enough with the core mechanics (which you seem to be reaching that point) just try out new characters that seem cool to you, or new things you wanted to try that you were not able to do very well with Wilson. 

One of the most fun things this game has is how much your approach to the game and gameplay can change depending on the character you chose. I think it will actually teach the game better and spice things up. In the process you will find characters you like more than others.

I think maining a character happens as a consequence of having been trying many characters for a while: you just find a playstyle that you like more, and it’s not really a goal you must look into. 

it will come naturally, and can easily change on a whim.

i like to play wanda for the whip range more than the damage to be honest, do i want to pick her in every situation? no

sometimes i just want to play some walter and explore around, other a wendy for easier time handling mobs.

never feel force to play a single character, in fact some characters might make you improve in different areas of the game the more you play them, like how walter is extremely punishing if you dont kite those monsters, or wanda wanting you to rush that shadow manipulator for the alarming clock

Look at their custom items and perks and pick a favorite. 

If you don't have a favorite switch between and experiment.

This game doesn't reward maining as much as something like a fighting game would, most of the characters are extremely similar, and can take near identical steps surviving, especially for a new player. Wurt and Warly are the only characters I'd advise a new player to avoid.

"When should I choose a main?"

...wait, that's required?

I mean I have FAVOURITE characters/ones that I keep coming back to, but I've never really considered myself a (Character Here) Main, and I've been playing for over... (counts) 6 years (?!) now.  So...

...Notorious

In roughly a week give or take.. everyone will be maining Wonkey..

And some of them by choice, others because they’re so bad at the game that they’re just stuck that way with no choice to change back..

but mark my words- at least 94% of player base will main Wonkey.

Maining characters is a meme, especially in this game. It's not like you need to sit in training mode practicing combos as Wolfgang for 100hrs (which can not be used as the other characters) to be able to get them reliably. 

Archived