Your most and least liked QOL change

One of my favourite QOL changes was the addition of the quick drop feature for both practical and visual reasons (made decorating so much better!).

On the contrary after returning to DST from a 5 month break, I just can't get used to the new crafting menu and don't see myself liking it any time soon.

In your opinion, what are the best and worst QOL changes the game has seen in the past few years?

Generally, I liked all the QoL updates as they were all pretty great.

The only ones I disliked was when they added that wacky mouse-click attack thing which caused a lot of shenanigans (I hope it never comes back or they add an option for it I don't want to play with such an annoying thing) and I don't really like how characters now talk once they leave a state but also have text above their heads as it usually looks odd, I'd prefer if they just made it so characters can talk while in any state by swapping between talking mouths using face overrides though with how many skins there are definitely not a chance for that lol.

Turf recipe changes deserve more attention. Getting 4 per craft, stacking to 20, lower costs and not needing to be near the terrra firma tamper. Cobblestones alone are a win in my book, not needing stacks upon stacks of boards and having to go out of your way for rocky turf.

Least liked - no idea, honestly. I don't recall any QoL changes that made me go "man, that's not good a change". 

I liked the buffs to various items, I'm not sure if I should qualify them as multiple changes or a singular change but the insulated pack which was kinda not very good became a great upgrade to the normal backpack, Thulecite club durability buff, suncaller staff lasting much longer than it originally did in SP. 

Least liked in that vein is the ''nerf'' to thermal stones giving them durability. I understand the nerf because they're so much better than they were back then but still :(

All of them have been good in my eyes. Even the crafting UI rework which is a back and forth on various points I couldn't describe as least liked- since parts of it is close to most liked.

A favourite I suppose would be the World Settings upgrade, changing things back and forth after generating. Speaking of, am I mistaken or is there no setting for the amount of moose/goose nests that spawn at world gen?

Crafting UI's appearance is my least fav. It has large screen pollution and the organization is questionable.

However, the crafting UI philosophy and pinned recipes are good. But again the looks of the UI has large potential for improvement.

Also the fact people who dislike it are forced to adapt it is sad.

7 minutes ago, goatt said:

Crafting UI's appearance is my least fav. It has large screen pollution and the organization is questionable.

However, the crafting UI philosophy and pinned recipes are good. But again the looks of the UI has large potential for improvement.

Also the fact people who dislike it are forced to adapt it is sad.

You are not forced to adapt. You can make a mod for the old UI if you want. 

Least liked :pretty much everything they changed in the crafting menu. The game is slow now. Maybe that's why they brought the pause option back. Plus covers half the screen. Mid battle you can't see the enemy.

Most liked : I'll get back to you when I find one. 

2020 - 28 May QOL

• Added Beards skins
  • Caves can be enabled by default
  • Add more information to the character select screen:
  • Starting Health, Hunger, and Sanity
  • Starting equipment
  • Odds of Survival, to help guide new players
  • The game will automatically log in on boot (this can be disabled in the options menu).
  • Added Sculpting Table Figures for Toadstool, Bee Queen, Klaus, Antlion and Ancient Fuelweaver
  • Revamped the Item Collection screen to display the cast of survivors
  • Removed the special item ingredient from a number of the sculpting figures.
  • Adjusted the recipes for the Insulated Pack and Marble Suit
  • Increased the Thulecite Club's durability
  • Bernie is now shown on the map screen
  • One of each Marble Sculpture is now guaranteed when generating new worlds
  • Updated mods sort order
  • Added Unravel Duplicates option to The Curio Loom

The best QOL I can remember

Only change I'm not a fan of is the Fuelweaver bonecage attack being able to grab you when you're at the edges of the map. Though I am aware it may have changed unintentionally as collision and such were updated. 

Just now, goatt said:

But when the menu is open, it’s screen pollution, and I can’t multitasking or see enemies actions.

idk why you cant multitaks and even less when you can use Q and E to rotate the camera

what enemies? shadows only appear when you are insane and make noises, spiders live in specific areas, hounds are a thing from the past. And during combat you only need to craft weapons, light or armor and these things should be in the quick access pinnes which makes you able to multitask better than with the old menu

On 6/12/2022 at 12:08 AM, goatt said:

the organization is questionable.

also...is way better than the old one with birdcage in structures, scaled furnace only on light or decorative turfs on structures just to name few. The devs said that we should suggest other organization if we find items on wrong places or filters lacking items, some of us did it and they changed it so i dont understand this complain when you could name the items so they improve it instead of empty complains 

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

what enemies?

For example, shadows. When I farm shadows, I don’t stand still and waiting for them to show up. I’m always multitasking and building something. The large screen blockage makes such trivia thing very risky. “Making noises” isn’t always reliable for me, visual cue is what I rely on, call me noob.

Another example, if I wanna mine a boulder next to a tall bird when my pickaxe wear out, I could scroll and make axe while dodge tall birds’ attack. Now, the only way you can do it is by putting stuff on pinned slots. A lot of the examples are similar to that one, like when enemy is chasing me, I need to craft a new armor, but can’t see the distant etc.

But the extra layer of cautious management of pinned menu before doing certain tasks means the UI itself isn’t easy enough, and pinned slots serve as a workaround to make up for the shortcoming. In other words, pinned slots are required and required to be arranged a certain way, in order to counter the screen pollution (and extra clicks). Pinned slots are not a innately convenient tool, but it’s convenient in comparison to the crafting menu’s UI.

15 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

idk why you cant multitaks and even less when you can use Q and E to rotate the camera

The fact that you have to use QE to multitask (which I’m not comfortable to use), means screen pollution, means you can see enemies in both directions, means risky multitasking.

You know what’s interesting? It’s not hard to design a UI with less screen pollution.

2 minutes ago, goatt said:

You know what’s interesting? It’s not hard to design a UI with less screen pollution

is easier to get used to rotate the camera (actually needed to enjoy all the content) if needed or to pin recipes used in dangerous moments 

is one of crafting games with better UI i have ever tried by far so maybe isnt that easy as you think

@ArubaroBeefalo 

I do rotate camera a lot, like 100 times in the first min of a new game. But I can only see roughly half of the screen no matter how I rotate if blocked by UI

I don’t expect you to “agree” with me, because you apparently like the changes. But I want my subjective experience expressed and heard regardless how unpopular it is. That’s why I always pop up and support the posts opposite to your experience.

And honestly, I don’t think my needs hurt you, because all I ask is an option of using (redesigned) old menu.

My least favorite might just be the crafting menu, because it takes a bit to navigate.

That being said...

My favorite is also the crafting menu. I love to be able to finally walk around with it open, and just for that, I wouldn't take back the old one for anything.

Archived