Should there be more vegetarian recipes?

Poll:  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be more vegetarian recipes?

• Yes
    • No

So while compiling a spreadsheet I noticed that almost all of the best hunger restoring foods are meat based recipes. Bacon and eggs, pierogis, honey ham, meaty stew, meatballs, froggle bunwich, fish sticks... The only real exceptions are dragonpie and beefy greens, the latter of which is still a pain to make early game. There's ocean fishing, killing non-renewable grass gekkos, finding lunar forest biome and digging up carrats, killing tanky grass gators that run from you, and saladmanders on lunar island. It's not a bad recipe, but I wouldn't bother doing any of those things to make it early game instead of just waiting for spring.

There's actually at least two recipes that punish you for only using vegetables: ratatouille and asparagus soup. C'mon Klei.

There's multiple dimensions to this issue. One is that there are some good vegetarian recipes, but they're locked to Warly. I wouldn't mind it if additional recipes were also locked to Warly, but I'd like at least a few generic ones so that other survivors have something to do with their crops beyond just cooking them individually.

Then there's the issue of balancing, i.e. meat-based recipes are stronger because they force you to go out and fight creatures so they should give an extra reward. I think that's fair, but at the same time, you can totally already survive off of crop farming alone. It's just not that interesting cooking wise if you're not Warly. Also, vegetables generally spoil faster than meat, and can't be dried. Along with how labor-intensive farming is, it becomes very tempting to switch to meat based foods instead.

I feel like there's a lot of potential for extra recipes with the revamped farming, I wonder how or if it should be implemented according to you guys.

Pretty sure that's something made by design, while meat based dishes are better for Hunger, veggie based dishes can be good for Sanity and Health, and this is the reason for Wurt's upside for veggie foods. Also the crops on their own can be more filling than some meat dishes, like 3 cooked Potatoes fill more than Meatballs. Though I would like more Veggie recipes.

1 hour ago, EighteenXVIII said:

beefy greens

Those are considered as a Meat Dish.

1 hour ago, EighteenXVIII said:

Also, vegetables generally spoil faster than meat

That is incorrect, crops usually last 10 days when they are uncooked, with the only ones that last less being Toma Root and Asparagus, while most meats last 6 days and 10 only when cooked.

1 hour ago, Bumber64 said:

Beefy greens aren't even vegetarian as far as Wurt is concerned, so it's really just dragonpie.

Wurt is confused. Creatures that drop Leafy meat are basically plants. Not to mention Leafy meat can be grown.

She is confused about leafy meat but has no problem eating butterflies (which are also plants in Constant) eat remains of some plant fish, carrats , saladmanders.

And her king flatout gobbles entire plant fish raw and not just their remains.

I suspect she could easily eat Leafy Meat or Leafy Meat exclusive recipes but because they are also used as substitute for real meat based recipes its where it makes things weird.

2 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Wurt is confused. Creatures that drop Leafy meat are basically plants. Not to mention Leafy meat can be grown.

She is confused about leafy meat but has no problem eating butterflies (which are also plants in Constant) eat remains of some plant fish, carrats , saladmanders.

And her king flatout gobbles entire plant fish raw and not just their remains.

I suspect she could easily eat Leafy Meat or Leafy Meat exclusive recipes but because they are also used as substitute for real meat based recipes its where it makes things weird.

Wurt don't eat meat not because she don't want but because merms literally can't eat meat, for them it's like eating rocks, not physically possible. Leafy meat is still a meat counting that Wigfrid can eat it, and so Wurt can't eat any dishes made with it. Yes you got it from plant, but name of it's plant is literally "lureplant" that's whole purpose is to lure creatures from constant in it's trap, and because almost everything in dst eats meat(even fishes) no doubt it will grow meat as lure.

38 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

Wurt don't eat meat not because she don't want but because merms literally can't eat meat, for them it's like eating rocks, not physically possible. Leafy meat is still a meat counting that Wigfrid can eat it, and so Wurt can't eat any dishes made with it. Yes you got it from plant, but name of it's plant is literally "lureplant" that's whole purpose is to lure creatures from constant in it's trap, and because almost everything in dst eats meat(even fishes) no doubt it will grow meat as lure.

Leafy Meat isn't like actual Meat and many survivors point it out across both DS and DST.

Including Wigfrid with her: "i suppose its close enough" quote (Also Wigfrid is not like Wurt she chooses what to eat and what not to eat. She can eat vegetables just fine as long as they are part of a meal that contains meat or leafy meat which isn't meat but tastes close enough)

Wurt says she's confused whenever she wants to eat it or not and when holding a Carrat (another creature that drops Leafy Meat) she asks herself "Is it food or pet?"

All creatures that drop Leafy meat are sentient plants ingame just like Butterflies and some Fishes are.

Merm King eats some plant fishes whole.

The logic behind Plant creatures and what Leafy Meat is. Is sketchy at best.

(Also i recall there was a time where you couldn't use Leafy Meat as Meat substitute in Crockpot dishes)

5 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

plant is literally "lureplant" that's whole purpose is to lure creatures from constant in it's trap

PS: Leafy Meat doesn't only grow on/drop from Lureplants look classic DS and its DLCs there are actual plants that legit drop Leafy meat.

6 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Leafy Meat isn't like actual Meat and many survivors point it out across both DS and DST.

Wigfrid also with her: "i suppose its close enough" quote (Also Wigfrid is not like Wurt she chooses what to eat and what not to eat. She can eat vegetables just fine as long as they are part of a meal that contains meat or leafy meat which isn't meat but tastes close enough)

Wurt says she's confused whenever she wants to eat it or not and when holding a Carrat (another creature that drops Leafy Meat) she asks herself "Is it food or pet?"

All creatures that drop Leafy meat are sentient plants ingame just like Butterflies and some Fishes are.

(Also i recall there was a time where you couldn't use Leafy Meat as Meat substitute in Crockpot dishes)

Also Leafy Meat doesn't only grow on Lureplants look classic DS and its DLCs

1:Where does Merm king eats fish?

2: Leafy meat is combination of both meat and veggies, because of meat part Wurt can't eat it.For example, other 2 characters that can't eat specific types of food (Warly and Wigfrid) are both humans and technically can eat any food other survivors eat, in fact when you hold your cursor on dish that Wigfrid or Warly can't eat there still will be option "eat", which won't work only because their own problems with mental health.Wurt on other side don't even have option to "eat" and can only examine any meat food, including leafy meat.

6 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

1:Where does Merm king eats fish?

You can feed him live Corn cod and Popper Fish he EATS them instead trading for them.

6 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

Leafy meat is combination of both meat and veggies

No not really it isn't. Various quotes and bits ingame (both DS and DST) don't support your theory.

It comes from Plant creatues including ones that are actual plants in both games.

And it was initially unable to be used for Meat crockpot dishes.

2 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

You can feed him live Corn cod and Popper Fish he EATS them instead trading for them.

Because they are literally swimming corn and swimming popcorn without any leafy meat in it, there are 2 fishes that do drop leafy meat after death and I'm pretty sure merm king won't eat them 

13 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

Because they are literally swimming corn and swimming popcorn without any leafy meat in it, there are 2 fishes that do drop leafy meat after death and I'm pretty sure merm king won't eat them 

Saladmanders are literally walking Dragonfruit. Carrats are walking Carrots and both of those drop Leafy Meat as additional loot.

Some plant creatures are too small to drop Leafy Meat (it would look weird unless they added Leafy Morsels) but it doesn't change the fact that they are Plant creatures regardless.

Like i said what Leafy Meat is and what Plant creatures are is intentionally made confusing. Merms can consume some

Plant creatures or some of their remains. While also majority of survivors point out that Leafy Meat isn't meat. Neither was it initially meant as Meat substitute gameplay wise.

But whatever i don't want to engage in another sweaty discussion about whoever's "theory" is right or wrong.

Regarding Wurt and Leafy creatures.

No. Not today I just comment what i noticed ingame and inconsistencies revolving around it.

2 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Saladmanders are literally walking Dragonfruit. Carrats are walking Carrots and both of those drop Leafy Meat as additional loot.

Some plant creatures are too small to drop Leafy Meat (it would look weird unless they added Leafy Morsels) but it doesn't change the fact that they are Plant creatures regardless.

Like i said what Leafy Meat is and what Plant creatures are is intentionally made confusing. Merms can consume some

Plant creatures or some of their remains. While also majority of survivors point out that Leafy Meat isn't meat. Neither was it initially meant as Meat substitute gameplay wise.

But whatever i don't want to engage in another sweaty discussion about whoever's "theory" is right or wrong.

Regarding Wurt and Leafy creatures.

No. Not today I just comment what i noticed ingame and inconsistencies revolving around it.

I wpuld say, while leafy meat is not a peoper meat, but it contains proteins same as meat. So technically is not meat, but is not going to be edible for Wurt, because of 1-2 proteins that don't usually happen in plants. Carrot and dragon fruit drops are free from that protein, but if drops that are polluted with it they turn into leafy meat.

Also high-mobile plants-creatures might have that protein for the movement. So its like plant cells, but with meat proteins (I simplify it to "protein", because I would have to carefully study what protein plants do not have and which is common in meat). In normal world plants don't have muscles, but hamlet plants, lureplant, and plant-creatures have too rich movement to be just hydraulic (like mimosa or flytrap), so I still I would think is sort of plant cells (able to photosyntetise and with vacuole) hybrid with muscle strings. 

I'd definitely like to see more veggie recipes. It would also be nice to see new recipes that specifically need Carrots, Pomegranates, Durian and Glowberries (which isn't Warly-specific). Stuff like cakes and pies, which could all be vegeterian, would be a good result from those. For example:

• Carrot Cake (2 Carrot, 1 egg). Basic simple dish, like 8 health, 37,5 hunger, 15 sanity. Nothing amazing (basicly just a sanity-gain), since it uses the easy-to-find Carrots.
  • Pomepadour Cake (punny, yes)(1 Pomegranate, 0,5 fruit, 1 egg or dairy). 3 health, 50 hunger, 50 sanity. Something fitting of a fancy, delicious cake.
  • Endurian Cendol (more PUNS!)(1 Durian, 1 Ice, 1 sweetener or 0,5 fruit). 37,5 hunger, 25 sanity, keeps you cool like ice cream and makes you slightly tankier for some time (like 20% damage reduction for a couple of minutes).
  • Glowberry Pie (1 Glowberry or 2 Lesser Glowberries, 1 sweetener). 50 hunger, 25 sanity, and makes you slightly glow (like a full heat Thermal Stone) for 4 minutes or so?

But I'd also like to see some of the really bad vegetarian dishes (and many fish dishes) get much needed improvements. Examples:

• Asparagus Soup. A simple buff to 30 health and 37,5 hunger (from 20 health/18,75 hunger) would make it less aweful.
  • Fruit Medley. Buff it from 20 health, 25 hunger, 5 sanity to something like 30 health, 37,5 hunger and 33 sanity. Still not great, but an ok allrounder.
  • Pumpkin Cookie. Make it drop 3 "charges" per cooking (similar to Jellybeans), and change its stats to something like 3 health, 25 hunger and 10 sanity and 20 days spoilage. Alongside that, it'd stack up to 60 cookies per slot, rather than just 20. All of a sudden they become pretty good snacks.
    • Sidenote: More foods could benefit from being crafted in charges. Small "snack"-like foods, such as California Rolls, Taffy etc would fit perfectly for this.
  • Stuffed Eggplant. Buff its hunger from 37,5 to at least 50. Would make it a good hunger-filling veggie dish (for once), but it does come at the cost of the Braised Eggplant's healing potential.

4 hours ago, ALCRD said:

Including Wigfrid with her: "i suppose its close enough" quote (Also Wigfrid is not like Wurt she chooses what to eat and what not to eat. She can eat vegetables just fine as long as they are part of a meal that contains meat or leafy meat which isn't meat but tastes close enough)

I believe the is to show it's closer to meat than anything and while it looks like a plant the flesh isn't.

4 hours ago, ALCRD said:

To be fair like in the case with tree guards and monster meat whether or not a plant is meat or not depends on it's state while being effected a carat was a carrot but is now a meaty creature which is probably what's confusing wurt's senses as some of her quotes show she detects meat thru smell so leafy meat probably gives off a smell similar to a mixture of meat and plants that being said aside from quotes there's not really a huge amount of evidence backing either side so I say it could be whatever anyone wants.

On a different note it is discouraging how little i feel the need to interact with the crockpot as wurt there's barely a need to even have one when your playing her aside from healing foods and even that's pretty pointless due to potatoes and tomatoes.

1 hour ago, Azamagon said:

I'd definitely like to see more veggie recipes. It would also be nice to see new recipes that specifically need Carrots, Pomegranates, Durian and Glowberries (which isn't Warly-specific). Stuff like cakes and pies, which could all be vegeterian, would be a good result from those. For example:

• Carrot Cake (2 Carrot, 1 egg). Basic simple dish, like 8 health, 37,5 hunger, 15 sanity. Nothing amazing (basicly just a sanity-gain), since it uses the easy-to-find Carrots.
  • Pomepadour Cake (punny, yes)(1 Pomegranate, 0,5 fruit, 1 egg or dairy). 3 health, 50 hunger, 50 sanity. Something fitting of a fancy, delicious cake.
  • Endurian Cendol (more PUNS!)(1 Durian, 1 Ice, 1 sweetener or 0,5 fruit). 37,5 hunger, 25 sanity, keeps you cool like ice cream and makes you slightly tankier for some time (like 20% damage reduction for a couple of minutes).
  • Glowberry Pie (1 Glowberry or 2 Lesser Glowberries, 1 sweetener). 50 hunger, 25 sanity, and makes you slightly glow (like a full heat Thermal Stone) for 4 minutes or so?

But I'd also like to see some of the really bad vegetarian dishes (and many fish dishes) get much needed improvements. Examples:

• Asparagus Soup. A simple buff to 30 health and 37,5 hunger (from 20 health/18,75 hunger) would make it less aweful.
  • Fruit Medley. Buff it from 20 health, 25 hunger, 5 sanity to something like 30 health, 37,5 hunger and 33 sanity. Still not great, but an ok allrounder.
  • Pumpkin Cookie. Make it drop 3 "charges" per cooking (similar to Jellybeans), and change its stats to something like 3 health, 25 hunger and 10 sanity and 20 days spoilage. Alongside that, it'd stack up to 60 cookies per slot, rather than just 20. All of a sudden they become pretty good snacks.
    • Sidenote: More foods could benefit from being crafted in charges. Small "snack"-like foods, such as California Rolls, Taffy etc would fit perfectly for this.
  • Stuffed Eggplant. Buff its hunger from 37,5 to at least 50. Would make it a good hunger-filling veggie dish (for once), but it does come at the cost of the Braised Eggplant's healing potential.

I'd drop the damage reduction other than that it's perfect.

6 hours ago, ALCRD said:

PS: Leafy Meat doesn't only grow on/drop from Lureplants look classic DS and its DLCs there are actual plants that legit drop Leafy meat.

what ever, dont make wurt eat that. Is enough having wigfrid eating taffy, jellybeans and mushcake

in my opinion meatballs shouldnt be as rewarding as they are compare to recipes that require a very specific ingredient, of which we need way more, if a recipe wants two specific vegetables, or doesnt really use filler of any kind, it should be stronger than meatballs, and currently that isnt the case for many stuff

1 hour ago, chincer said:

in my opinion meatballs shouldnt be as rewarding as they are compare to recipes that require a very specific ingredient, of which we need way more, if a recipe wants two specific vegetables, or doesnt really use filler of any kind, it should be stronger than meatballs, and currently that isnt the case for many stuff

The problem isn't really with meatballs being good for hunger per se, it's that you can make it with way too cheap items (i.e. 1 Monster Meat and 3 Ice). If you could max have 1 Ice (otherwise resulting in wet goop), it'd be a more appropriate noob-item (ala ratatouille and fist full of jam), that can remain semi-powerful with the right items (like 1 Monster Meat, 1 Ice and say 2 red shrooms - which is far less cheesable with ice storage, but still very good value out of the used food-items).

2 hours ago, chincer said:

I don't really see meatballs as a big issue as is considering most players making them aren't making them efficiently and once they do they usually start moving on to other dishes I'm of the opinion that all existing crockpots low stat dishes need buffed even more so for dishes that are worse than the sum of their parts.

I consider this a solution without a problem, overemphasizing crockpot recipes when you can live just fine without it. Two/ Three vegetables outdoes most crockpot recipes.

I wouldn’t mind a ratatouille upgrade when a high vegetable threshold is met just because I’m annoyed at how common it is to waste vegetables.

Archived