Insanity Rework?

9 hours ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Not really most ppl kinda just ignores the sanity meter. Whats easier, spending time and resources to keep sanity up or just let it go down and every 20 seconds do a small fight for some vital resources. This can be made better by simply making it more dangerous and ppl will take it more seriously

Where are you getting this from? On pubs most people are either dying to sanity or trying to stay sane as hard as they can (typically in bad ways) and whenever I watch a streamer they have a tam on.

Sounds like you exclusively play single player, have no experience other than your own, and are saying what you do is what everyone does.

Also, if anything is spending time and resources, it's fighting the shadows. Wearing a tam is nothing but shadows take time to kill and weapons wear out. People staying insane all the time and constantly getting distracted from their tasks and dying to boss fights is an edgy Rick meme, lol.

Perhaps staying insane for X period of time could spawn 1-2 more dangerous type(s) of Shadow Creatures? Would address certain advanced players' concerns I reckon. But for bulk player-base (newbies & casuals mostly) current system is enough - they still get "trashed" in pubs as per usual by insanity monsters, hence game is sufficiently hard from Survival perspective en large. On long run, advanced experienced players would adapt like they always do anyway. More complex Sanity System, akin Shadow Chess Pieces fights on regular basis and in general? Will deter bulk player-base harder and quicker from playing/learning DST. Nevertheless I don't believe KLei should focus atm on a Sanity update - as stated, not a priority from any pov, be it newbie, intermediate or advanced player. Better to populate Constant's Ocean (quite barren atm) with some biomes, fauna & flora, then Caves with consistent amount of elements prior to any hypothetical Sanity tinkering.

imo doesnt need a rework just keep adding cool stuff like they did with terrorclaws and wavy. Also, as other pointed, bosses with insanity mechanics like fw would be really cool, i wish more bosses uses ingame mechanics like fw with insanity, klaus with temperature or toadstool with using tools to chop

It doesn't need adjustments to the immediate difficulty- it very much is a risk for newer or less skilled players and is very much a huge hazard and common cause of death for people. It does its job and people less skilled in the game pay for it plenty. Trying to make it harsher to account for the fact people have gotten used to it would just turn it from hard to brutal for the 'average' player because its a mechanic that is always present. The closest thing to 'harsh' insanity is the ruins nightmare cycle, and no one would benefit from bringing that to the default just to make it scary again.

It could maybe use some aesthetic adjustments or more flavor- even minor additions, but not a rework would the purposes of 'fixing' it. I like things like wavy jones that are location-based sanity monsters, more of those would be fun- especially ones that interact with the player in ways that are more unique and not just as aggressive mobs.

No rework necessary, but their needs to be a fear factor.

Insanity should evolve, mold, and grow worse the longer you are put against it. Insanity creatures should become more aggressive and become more dangerous. In my opinion though, insanity should be more focused on "holding down" a player instead of outright killing them. 

52 minutes ago, reallychina said:

thinking this is a meme just shows your ignorance. 

If I had a nickel for the amount of servers I've gone on where the host says "Being at low sanity all the time is the prime way to play!" only to get distracted from anything else every few seconds or dying because they can't manage that many enemies at once, I wouldn't be a millionaire, but I'd have a handful of nickels.

If you're knowledgeable, sure, it's a good way to play if you use a lot of fuel. I do it a lot, especially when playing Wigfrid. But even then when I need to focus on other things I just slap on a tam and call it a day. It's not a bad habit, I just don't want the distraction.

But the meme part I assume comes from people who just take "Being insane forever is a good thing!" at face value and don't think about different situations or their own skill level, and getting whooped for it. At least, that's what I picked up.

Y'know, for all the talk whether or not Sanity monsters are hard or not, I feel like the fact they exist at all is kind of a problem?

Like, what do you think of when you hear a game has a "Sanity meter"? Shadows along the walls growing deeper? Being attacked by a demon only to open your eyes and find nothing there? The world around you warping as your grip on reality gradually slips out of your mind? Wondering if the game you're playing is even real or not?

Apparently Klei didn't think that way. Go insane in Don't starve, and you'll get a bunch of visual effects. But other than that, the only threats it presents in and of itself are

>Shadow hands which try to steal your fire.

>2 very specific mobs that transform on low sanity.

>Monsters spawn when you get low enough.

Regardless of whether Sanity's hard or not. The simple fact is that it's honestly kind of a boring system, all things considered. Bar gets low? Monsters come to kill you. Want bar to not be low? Eat some food or wear a hat. 

If it where to be reworked, I'd love it if it was made a less obviously dangerous system and more of a "Subtly" dangerous one. How they could go about it? I dunno. But it would be cool.

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Where are you getting this from? On pubs most people are either dying to sanity or trying to stay sane as hard as they can (typically in bad ways) and whenever I watch a streamer they have a tam on.

Sounds like you exclusively play single player, have no experience other than your own, and are saying what you do is what everyone does.

Also, if anything is spending time and resources, it's fighting the shadows. Wearing a tam is nothing but shadows take time to kill and weapons wear out. People staying insane all the time and constantly getting distracted from their tasks and dying to boss fights is an edgy Rick meme, lol.

First off I play more Multiplayer than Singleplayer, (because being alone SUCKS and Multiplayer you can get yourself into all sorts of fun wacky scenarios) second once you reach around Spring sanity is easy. I cant say much about streams, but the second you get a hambat or an Alarming Clock, you dont need to worry about sanity much. No, all u need to fight shadows is some armor and a weapon. You can make like 2 football helmets and 1 spear and be fine. What people are spending resources on is progressing via research stations and making better loot, not focusing on shadows. If youve played any pubs most of time I have barely seen anyone die to sanity most of the time and were all too busy making the base better and getting items than even caring about sanity. Finally, of course dont be insane before fighting a boss thats just common sense

3 hours ago, Lumine04 said:

No rework necessary, but their needs to be a fear factor.

Insanity should evolve, mold, and grow worse the longer you are put against it. Insanity creatures should become more aggressive and become more dangerous. In my opinion though, insanity should be more focused on "holding down" a player instead of outright killing them. 

I would absolutely love this idea! Maybe the longer you survive newer ones pop up, it would fix the issue of it being too hard for new players and give a fun challange. I also like the idea of not just monsters but also maybe sub-events?

1 minute ago, Theukon-dos said:

Y'know, for all the talk whether or not Sanity monsters are hard or not, I feel like the fact they exist at all is kind of a problem?

Like, what do you think of when you hear a game has a "Sanity meter"? Shadows along the walls growing deeper? Being attacked by a demon only to open your eyes and find nothing there? The world around you warping as your grip on reality gradually slips out of your mind? Wondering if the game you're playing is even real or not?

Apparently Klei didn't think that way. Go insane in Don't starve, and you'll get a bunch of visual effects. But other than that, the only threats it presents in and of itself are

>Shadow hands which try to steal your fire.

>2 very specific mobs that transform on low sanity.

>Monsters spawn when you get low enough.

Regardless of whether Sanity's hard or not. The simple fact is that it's honestly kind of a boring system, all things considered. Bar gets low? Monsters come to kill you. Want bar to not be low? Eat some food or wear a hat. 

If it where to be reworked, I'd love it if it was made a less obviously dangerous system and more of a "Subtly" dangerous one. How they could go about it? I dunno. But it would be cool.

True.. then again this is the game where the desert is the best place to be in summer and a sewing kit can fix a rock, realism isnt really its strengths. Plus imo the obviously dangerous way is more fitting for the Constant, its never really subtle that it wants to kill you

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

imo doesnt need a rework just keep adding cool stuff like they did with terrorclaws and wavy. Also, as other pointed, bosses with insanity mechanics like fw would be really cool, i wish more bosses uses ingame mechanics like fw with insanity, klaus with temperature or toadstool with using tools to chop

Yeah this could work too and address the challenge and new players issues, where the more harder ones are in different parts of the map.

Perhaps more dangerous insanity features could be linked to something specific similar to the way you change the grotto forever once you have the shadow/gestalt war started - perhaps this very trigger itself (activating the archives/grotto) could make new insanity features become active. That way pubs and early game servers/beginners still have sanity the way it is now but those who have completed the archives and socketed the gems in have an extra challenge and more ferocious nightmare creatures/features. Also fits thematically, shadow and gestalt war has began and more dangerous nightmare creatures are now roaming around in general. 

I played on a bunch of pubs recently just for a bit of a change and alongside other endless frustrations (player skill level, finally getting to some nice progression then the host just ending the session without warning, kids singing constantly etc..) I saw quite a few players dying to nightmare creatures super early like halfway through the first Autumn.. I was shocked by how often this would occur and most of the time they would then immediately leave the game.

Off topic but man oh man are 99% of pub experiences utter garbage on playstation, I totally get that everyone has to start somewhere and it takes practise/experience to get better but I swear that the vast majority of players on pubs just repeat the same circle over and over and never actually progress past a certain point because they don't actually bother or ever commit to a world for an extended period of time. I genuinely wonder what percentage of players on console have never seen the majority of the bosses or experienced late game content, hell I wonder how many players have even SEEN summer. 

I did have one fun experience where two of us tried to rush ruins in early winter (after many other players came and went and contributed to the base but ultimately died to shadows or just left the server) but we were hugely underprepared but just tried anyway. We failed miserably, I found the ruins but he had branched off looking in another direction. By the time he got back to me we were both insane and got hit by a depths worm wave on top of naturally occuring depths worms in the biome before the ruins, being low on both food and souls AND gear (playing as Wortox and he was WX) he died and then I died as well. It was just too many nightmare creatures and worms for me to handle on top of the cold and darkness and lack of healing or resources. It was a fun little adventure even if it was a catastrophic failure.

Insanity is in a pretty good spot now though I think. For skilled players its barely a nuisance or threat until that rare occasion when it actually is because you planned a fight or activity with the bare minmum needed to do so then all of a sudden Nightmare creatures or shadow hands or whatever mess with what you're doing and actually do pose a problem. 

7 hours ago, Auth said:

If I had a nickel for the amount of servers I've gone on where the host says "Being at low sanity all the time is the prime way to play!" only to get distracted from anything else every few seconds or dying because they can't manage that many enemies at once, I wouldn't be a millionaire, but I'd have a handful of nickels.

If you're knowledgeable, sure, it's a good way to play if you use a lot of fuel. I do it a lot, especially when playing Wigfrid. But even then when I need to focus on other things I just slap on a tam and call it a day. It's not a bad habit, I just don't want the distraction.

But the meme part I assume comes from people who just take "Being insane forever is a good thing!" at face value and don't think about different situations or their own skill level, and getting whooped for it. At least, that's what I picked up.

I dont pickup that. Some people seem to believe letting insanity drain and purposely not rising or even lowering it intentionally is bad.

While obviously if one cant manage it properly it will look silly and slow him down, it doesnt take away from the fact that its literally the optimal way to play.

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i hope they dont rework it in the same way... i miss the old sound effects :_(

I thought that too initially, as the old sound effects would incrementally let you know how close you are to reaching the ≤15% sanity threshold via audio cues only, whereas now you don't hear any insanity sound up until you reach this very treshold (and get the sudden "final state of paranoia" sound effect or wtv you can call it).

However, being a player who's insane most of the time in the early game (outside certain boss fights), I realize that it's for the better.

Archived