Insanity Rework?

So Klei isnt adding any new major updates, and this new year is more for improving the game, so heres an idea!

Now im definitely not the first to talk about sanity but what would you like to see added to it? Personally I like more hazards, new nightmare creatures and maybe new events too.

I think it's fine as is. It's not a danger by itself, but most of the time you don't want to stay insane while fighting bosses, a lot of which drain sanity. It's also just annoying if you have a bunch of walls around you. Lunacy is a bit more dangerous while fighting common mobs (Mush gnomes, hounds)

Maybe we don't need a rework per say, but a diffrent setting where we have to use the mechanics in new ways. I think Atrium and Fw fight are a great example of using insanity mechanics to your advantage.

46 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

I think it's fine as is. It's not a danger by itself, but most of the time you don't want to stay insane while fighting bosses, a lot of which drain sanity. It's also just annoying if you have a bunch of walls around you. Lunacy is a bit more dangerous while fighting common mobs (Mush gnomes, hounds)

Thats kinda the issue. Its supposed to be a danger. Its not supposed to be just annoying in boss fights. Its supposed to be a risk where you could get nightmare fuel but risk fighting off literal nightmares.

23 minutes ago, Empa505 said:

Maybe we don't need a rework per say, but a diffrent setting where we have to use the mechanics in new ways. I think Atrium and Fw fight are a great example of using insanity mechanics to your advantage.

True, though I dont think it should be a different setting. New players can just get green mushrooms or flowers or garlands to get sanity its not hard, so it wont be a problem. I like the idea of updating it giving it more challenges and such

5 minutes ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Its not supposed to be just annoying in boss fights.

In bossfights it's not "just annoying"

I remember being chased by hounds, pigmen and nightmare creatures all at once with Abigail unsummone for...reasons. I wasn't in any real danger, but it was pretty fun.

I don't think it's supposed to be that threatening.

1 minute ago, jan Mele said:

In bossfights it's not "just annoying"

I remember being chased by hounds, pigmen and nightmare creatures all at once with Abigail unsummone for...reasons. I wasn't in any real danger, but it was pretty fun.

I don't think it's supposed to be that threatening.

Why did you aggro pigmen in a bossfight? And stuff like this can be solved by simply running away. 

Just now, jan Mele said:

That wasn't in a bossfight

Than why did you say in bossfights its more than annoying?The idea of through the whole game making sure your sanity doesnt drop down is far more fun than whereas now its just welp guess i gotta fight 2 more enemies, both of which with extremelly basic kiting patterns

9 minutes ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Thats kinda the issue. Its supposed to be a danger.

You mean like hunger is supposed to be a danger? Or darkness is supposed to be a danger? Or the bosses are supposed to be a danger? Just because you're good enough to play around it doesn't mean it isn't a danger, and the developers have never even said that sanity is supposed to be this super dangerous thing, you did.

9 minutes ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Its supposed to be a risk where you could get nightmare fuel but risk fighting off literal nightmares.

It literally already is exactly that.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You mean like hunger is supposed to be a danger? Or darkness is supposed to be a danger? Or the bosses are supposed to be a danger? Just because you're good enough to play around it doesn't mean it isn't a danger, and the developers have never even said that sanity is supposed to be this super dangerous thing, you did.

It literally already is exactly that.

Umm... what you listed is more balanced compared to Insanity. Hunger is still impactful in game tho i agree it should be harder. Darkness is threatening and you have to make sure to have a light source and most bosses are pretty fun and balanced. (Also this post is meant mainly about Insanity) And for the second part it feels less like a fun struggle for survival and more of a welp guess this is happening.

1 minute ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Umm... youre playing... An uncompromising survival game.. called DONT STARVE. Yes its supposed to be a danger

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Just because you're good enough to play around it doesn't mean it isn't a danger, and the developers have never even said that sanity is supposed to be this super dangerous thing, you did.

4 minutes ago, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Umm... what you listed is more balanced compared to Insanity. Hunger is still impactful in game tho i agree it should be harder. Darkness is threatening and you have to make sure to have a light source and most bosses are pretty fun and balanced. (Also this post is meant mainly about Insanity) And for the second part it feels less like a fun struggle for survival and more of a welp guess this is happening.

Why is picking 2 grass and 2 twigs "threatening" but having several speedy enemies which each deal 50 damage per hit and can combo you for 100+ unarmored damage no issue at all? Darkness just needs you to be near or have light, that's it. Sanity needs you to have a weapon and probably have armor and put in the effort to properly fight enemies.

12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why is picking 2 grass and 2 twigs "threatening" but having several speedy enemies which each deal 50 damage per hit and can combo you for 100+ unarmored damage no issue at all? Darkness just needs you to be near or have light, that's it. Sanity needs you to have a weapon and probably have armor and put in the effort to properly fight enemies.

Its the same way leaving a stove on is threatening. Is it likely to kill you? No, but is it not a good idea to ignore? Of course. First, the Crawling Horror is extremelly slow and can be easily avoided and the other one is still incredibly easy. simply hit once and walk away. Now this is normal for most mobs but for one of the most unique aspects of dont starve? It just feels like it could have a nice update and as it stands could be better is all im saying.

2 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

Imagine adding dangerous mobs to insanity and then they'd  go mostly unseen because everyone just manages sanity

Not really most ppl kinda just ignores the sanity meter. Whats easier, spending time and resources to keep sanity up or just let it go down and every 20 seconds do a small fight for some vital resources. This can be made better by simply making it more dangerous and ppl will take it more seriously

Just now, LiamAshvinn001 said:

Not really most ppl kinda just ignores the sanity meter. Whats easier, spending time and resources to keep sanity up or just let it go down and every 20 seconds do a small fight for some vital resources

3 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

adding dangerous mobs

The sanity meter/monster are hard enough imo. I remember suffering and dying from insanity when i started playing. But i got over the challenge when i played more. 

Everything in the game is easier after playing it longer!!! 

i understand wanting a challenge, but saying that its easy to you doesnt mean its easy to everyone. Just look at new people trying to start playing the game. The game is really hard and at times unforgiving. There is soo many mechanis and stuff to do and there is no time or tutorials.

I want challening stuff too, but i think thats the new contents job. Of course a little qol doesnt hurt. But still i think that we over look at times how hard the game is for new players.

3 hours ago, Empa505 said:

The sanity meter/monster are hard enough imo. I remember suffering and dying from insanity when i started playing. But i got over the challenge when i played more. 

Everything in the game is easier after playing it longer!!! 

i understand wanting a challenge, but saying that its easy to you doesnt mean its easy to everyone. Just look at new people trying to start playing the game. The game is really hard and at times unforgiving. There is soo many mechanis and stuff to do and there is no time or tutorials.

I want challening stuff too, but i think thats the new contents job. Of course a little qol doesnt hurt. But still i think that we over look at times how hard the game is for new players.

I feel like this mindset holds back the game too much I get new players can struggle with some content but people learn from trial and error like any other game. For example I've come across a fair amount of players who've tried to kill mobs with their fists without armor. In most cases they learned not to do that and if content goes too far in the hard direction we can tell kiel on the forums it's why they're here but at bare min let them try things first.

Archived