What do you like to rush on each character in your pubs?

35 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

I hand out the loot people just grab the gems and disconnect or break all the armor on some pigmen so wtf is the point

Jfyi ruins stuff belongs in the ruins, and experienced players know where to find them.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:40 PM, Guille6785 said:

then what should I do with the loot if giving it to others is also a bad idea

make an elebarate sign with a riddle where to find the loot

About pig houses. If one leaves evergreen forests untouched, pigs just will be forever dead because they tend to step on the creep and aggro entire nest of spiders on them, later on even during day they will kill themselves on spiders from spider queens and on queens themselves. So in the end pig houses could remain untouched, but what is the point of spawner with forever absent spawn object?

Even if one clears forests from (most) of the spiders, pig houses are still spread far from each other, which means that if one wants to farm them for food or gather them to farm wood majority of day time will be wasted on running from house to house, and in the end very little pigs/wood will be farmed, nowhere near amount of proper farm.

Even if one brings ice staff/watering can and performs burning trick to force them come out from houses during evening/night, problem of very low efficiency still remains + there is a danger of burning entire forest because of hight density of trees. And during summer such pig houses in the middle of trees without wildfire protection can and very likely will be burnt - because of random wildfire spreading across huge part of mentioned forest.

So I understand leaving pig houses untouched in both pig villages (with the condition that one cleares spiders in evergreen one), but I strongly support relocation of individual houses. If one uses few of them on non-farm needs before that it's also ok as long as there is enough pig skin left for a least 4 houses (so pig farm later will produce pig skin for at least 1 house per cycle). If one dies in the ruins with all pig skin from the server, there is a simple fix to that: player in question just should either describe where they died in chat, or float to the surface, resurrect and retrieve skin/make a sign with describtion of location in question. Overall disconnecting/dying in remote location with pig skin is no different than diconnecting with all ruins loot or all base resourses from particular type or multiple, dying on lunar island with chester eyebone or leaving Pearl's pearl in the middle of nowhere.

That being said, I either don't hammer pig houses for non-farm needs at all, or hammer and use no more than 2 of them. 1 football helmet is plenty of armor before one can craft thulecite crown/suit, since vast majority of the statues can be mined without fighting any clockworks. Players that bring 30+ pig skins to the ruins should pay attention to the fact that they very likely won't have enough grass and healing to match pig skin amount.

----------------------------------------------

I like to rush various things depending on circumstances. Aside from rushing 2nd flint, across multiple worlds I rush (not necessarily all at the same time) beefalo with glossammer saddle, ruins (quick trip or full clear), base on the mainland/boat/in the ruins, particular farms (pig farm, honey farm), specific seeds of particular type for mass-production of corresponding crops, bosses (Bee Queen, shadow pieces for Fuelweaver), lunar island, moonstorms. Rushing particular thing diversifies my experience by making some content available much earlier, and rushing stuff as different characters with different tools availble to them adds to the replayability as well (I like bramble husk for ruins as Wormwood so much since buff, but there is more that that variety). When someone else rushes things that affect the world, I see it as nice change of pace and offer my help if I'm in the mood to rush this particular thing.

I also share majority of the loot I gain from those activities, as well as "rush" world recovering if some resource chain was disrupted by inconsiderate actions of other players. When all pigs cease to exist, this world needs it's hero.

In my experience the typical ruins rusher is the mysterious type. You almost never see them, except for when they come to base and give you a bunch of stuff. More often than not, they're spending most of their time either gathering, or at their own completely separate base that they've built. And you never see those bases. Maybe if you're lucky, you'll stumble on one by pure accident while you're running around. But you pretend you don't see it. You never saw it. It was in your head. The one who rushes the ruins wouldn't dare to be seen relaxing in a base.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:11 PM, Keller Max said:

Am i the only one that hate ruin rushers on pub servers? Those who destroy all pig houses, clean everything underground, rarely share the loot and then leave (with everything in their inventory) and then look for a new server with 3+ players online. For what? If you love to rush ruins, why don't you do it on your server?

I wish something prevented people from doing ruins so early. First autumn is a time for mainland exploration, gathering resources to start a base, and yet it is so easy to get a late game gear in first 10-15 days...

Truth is, in 90% of cases, players on pub do deserve to have their pig houses broken. Pub players tend to cook wet goop, not go beyond a certain distance away from spawn portal, not visit said forests where pigs can be found, and they would proudly flaunt their basic spear in your face if you were to offer them a hambat free of charge.

I don't mind "sharing my ruins loot" with said noobs since i'm gonna leave the server in a minute anyway, with the knowledge that they're gonna waste the crowns on poisoned birchnutters spawned by the local woodie (sic, i meant npc).

Ofc exceptions do exist; if I notice a player who's actively interested in progressing through the game, if I see talks about killing dragonfly, hunting walruses, farming resources, etc. I'm willing to stay longer on the server.

Heck, in addition to the base ruins loot I might even bring a construction amulet to help in building a small pig farm with my spare pig skins !

But the general rule remains: if it weren't for the rushers, forests and their goodies (pigs and silk) would remain intact till the next regen (day 22 or so). And that would be a waste of precious loot.

Peddling the myth of "don't break pig houses, people gonna use them later on" doesn't help said players at all, it's a gross misreading of their in-game ambitions and goals.

If anything, It's really just about impeding rushers for no reason.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:43 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

I have nothing against rushing the ruins in the first days if they choose to do so, but the loot should be shared among the other players. Destroying pig houses and shoveling mushrooms in the first days of the game is defintely a big nono though.

I think you're exaggerating or maybe have had the bad luck to play with unskilled players. A ruins rush doesn't need more than 5 pig houses to destroy and there are usually over 25 at least in a world. At the end of the day, pig skin IS renewable.

Mushroom shoveling is very bad manners though, especially if they shovel blue mushrooms from the blue mush cave biome. That should be an insta ban

25 minutes ago, reallychina said:

Mushroom shoveling is very bad manners though, especially if they shovel blue mushrooms from the blue mush cave biome. That should be an insta ban

What do you need them for?

42 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

What do you need them for?

the blue mush biome in caves has very good mushroom density, so you can get more than 40 in a single night of picking, which is excellent for healing, going insane (extra nightmare fuel bonus) and/or vegetables for pierogi or something else.

2 hours ago, reallychina said:

A ruins rush doesn't need more than 5 pig houses to destroy and there are usually over 25 at least in a world. At the end of the day, pig skin IS renewable.

You don't need 10 Pig Skins for a Ruins Rush. At most 2-3 (1-2 Helmets and 1 Ham Bat) and a Log Suit (or 2, to prolong Helmet durability). Your goal is for these to get you into acquiring Thulecite & Gems for Crowns, Suits, perhaps 1-2 Thule Club(s), Starcaller, Magiluminescence, Lazy Forager & maybe Decon Staffs as quickly as possible. And with those Thule items you go at decimating AG and rest of Ruins if total clear is your goal, for efficiency's sake - though is rather meaningless a complete solo clear rush in Survival Pubs, since you won't have what to do with all that loot/gear, even if playing for some hours at-a-time. Usually pub rushers use said Thule gear into rushing 2-3 more Bosses before calling-it-a-day. Extremely rarely pubs survive after "end of run" de-log for one to resume the 2nd irl day.

As for OP question, I rush what I feel like it for the play session at hand, server composition (if there are other rushers too or not), friends on said pub, etc. Aka depends on many things. Since WX's update I main roboto nowadays and Ruins are a must (after rushing Speed 1.0, then Opto + Speed 2.0). Afterwards DF, Toad and, if friends present, BQ. Other times, after Ruins, I solely make a well-developed camp at Labyrinth entrance, Atrium, etc, constantly smashing Monkeys and Worms. There's so much stuff to list that makes me remember how versatile DST goals are, adding huge replayability to the game.

36 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

You don't need 10 Pig Skins for a Ruins Rush. At most 2-3 (1-2 Helmets and 1 Ham Bat) and a Log Suit (or 2, to prolong Helmet durability). Your goal is for these to get you into acquiring Thulecite & Gems for Crowns, Suits, perhaps 1-2 Thule Club(s), Starcaller, Magiluminescence, Lazy Forager & maybe Decon Staffs as quickly as possible. And with those Thule items you go at decimating AG and rest of Ruins if total clear is your goal, for efficiency's sake - though is rather meaningless a complete solo clear rush in Survival Pubs, since you won't have what to do with all that loot/gear, even if playing for some hours at-a-time. Usually pub rushers use said Thule gear into rushing 2-3 more Bosses before calling-it-a-day. Extremely rarely pubs survive after "end of run" de-log for one to resume the 2nd irl day.

You don't need 5 houses for 10 pig skins, but for alchemy crafting and recrafting + chest etc. You also need at least 2 pig skins for 2 ham bats and at least 2-3 for helms. log suits are a waste of time and space.

I know well enough how to rush ruins, what i am saying is that 5 houses is more than enough and 5 pig houses are but a fraction of available pig houses so destroying 5 is not an issue whatsoever.

And at the end of the day since those resources are renewable it's not that big of an issue.

Digging up mushrooms on the other hand is bad manners at the very least

4 minutes ago, reallychina said:

You don't need 5 houses for 10 pig skins, but for alchemy crafting and recrafting + chest etc. You also need at least 2 pig skins for 2 ham bats and at least 2-3 for helms. log suits are a waste of time and space.

I know well enough how to rush ruins, what i am saying is that 5 houses is more than enough and 5 pig houses are but a fraction of available pig houses so destroying 5 is not an issue whatsoever.

And at the end of the day since those resources are renewable it's not that big of an issue.

Digging up mushrooms on the other hand is bad manners at the very least

Prevalence-wise, if 2-3 people rush stuff with same amount of 5-smashed-Pig Homes-per-person, that's it for that world's most-accessible Pig Houses locations - they've been decimated (and personally I've encountered this precise scenario way too many times). Also they aren't "renewable resources" - world doesn't re-spawn them after players destroy their spawners. Most rushers don't rebuild Pig Huts after they destroyed and used them into respective rushes (sadly, most rushers aren't very efficient anyway, "burning" a lot of armor in the process). Digging Blue Shrooms in Deciduous Forests? Not really efficient, since they're spread-apart and few. From Blue Forest in Caves? If is Survival pubs, nobody will really miss them anyway, since Cave is rarely visited, more-so from 1st Winter-to-1st Summer (if server even survives that long). While in Endless Community pubs such action is warranting bans, no 2 ways about it (likewise for Pig Houses mass-hammering & not rebuilding - both actions considered "functional griefing"). Yes, when all's said and done, is about etiquette. Yet, (Survival, since are played the most) pubs and morals, eh.

3 hours ago, reallychina said:

How fanatical !

I think the whole biome has around 70 mushrooms on average. So, if one ruins rusher shovels 10 mushrooms for a total of 20 caps, it won't affect the experience of others in any meaningful way.

26 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

If is Survival pubs, nobody will really miss them anyway, since Cave is rarely visited, more-so from 1st Winter-to-1st Summer (if server even survives that long).

Good point.

And obviously the distinction between survival and endless modes needs to be made.

17 minutes ago, Waynel said:

I think the whole biome has around 70 mushrooms on average. So, if one ruins rusher shovels 10 mushrooms for a total of 20 caps, it won't affect the experience of others in any meaningful way.

Or you can just make a slight effort and time the mush visit to nighttime and simply gather 20 mushrooms. Digging them up is bad manners and playing only for short term and personal benefits

3 minutes ago, reallychina said:

..playing only for short term and personal benefits

That's kinda the definition of un-moderated Survival pubs (akin Official KLei ones), more-so for rushers. Yes, still bad manners, lack of etiquette, but a fact, as sad as that might be.

I agree with the person complaining about ruin rushers destroying pig houses. It's absolutely unnecessary in pubs, and sabotaging other players when barely any (or none) skin are left.

That said, I play Woodie and like to rush ruins with him (without destroying houses, I swear!). Oddly enough, I'm not that interested about the lunar island, despite I have the best character for it.

9 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

As for OP question, I rush what I feel like it for the play session at hand, server composition (if there are other rushers too or not), friends on said pub, etc. Aka depends on many things. Since WX's update I main roboto nowadays and Ruins are a must (after rushing Speed 1.0, then Opto + Speed 2.0). Afterwards DF, Toad and, if friends present, BQ. Other times, after Ruins, I solely make a well-developed camp at Labyrinth entrance, Atrium, etc, constantly smashing Monkeys and Worms. There's so much stuff to list that makes me remember how versatile DST goals are, adding huge replayability to the game.

Duet Wanda x Wx for rush ruin relevant now?

Pig skin was really valuable before terrarium, now i don't really care since if the ruins rusher is going to hammer some pig houses i'll just kill eye of terror.

If only the cooldown was lowered of terrarium, it would make pig skin even more useless when it comes to helmets and only hambat will be the reason get pig skin.

Also 5 pig houses may be required if you want to clear most of the ruins, you can do it with 2 if you are just going to gather enough for yourself and only partially clear the ruins. You could just use thulecite crowns but that seems like a bigger waste compared to hammering one or two more pig houses if you can't do it with less armor.

It depends on the skill of the player at the end of the day, some can do it with less armor.

Archived