Suggestion about Eye Mask (Shield) Durability

I am a game streamer. Lots of audience including myself has complaint about the durability of Eye Mask, which is 315. The durability is as low as a log armor. It is acceptable, yet it will be destroyed when weard out. I strongly suggest that after the durability of Eye Mask reaches zero, only cancelling the effect of the mask instead of destroy it totally. Afterall, fighting the Eye bosses can be a bit time consuming, which doesn't really match up to the usage of these drops. The same applies to Eye Shield.

I actually think it's not great that items like these are destroyed when exhausted. That was a reasonable consequence of carelessness in single player, but in multi player, where bosses still typically only drop one of their unique drop, it seems excessively punishing -- either that person gets to do without for god knows how long while everybody else gradually gets theirs, or that person bumps someone next in line and makes everybody else wait longer.

2 hours ago, Spino43 said:

I am okay with giving the shield more durability, as the low durability doesn't really justify the Twins fight's difficulty.

Both armor and a weapon in a single slot does. I wouldn't be opposed to a durability buff but it doesn't need it. It's already a great item.

2 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I actually think it's not great that items like these are destroyed when exhausted. That was a reasonable consequence of carelessness in single player, but in multi player, where bosses still typically only drop one of their unique drop, it seems excessively punishing -- either that person gets to do without for god knows how long while everybody else gradually gets theirs, or that person bumps someone next in line and makes everybody else wait longer.

I disagree with the lean towards gradually making the game less punishing. If you didn't protect it enough, you don't deserve the item. Next time learn from your mistake and take better care of it.

37 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

I disagree with the lean towards gradually making the game less punishing. If you didn't protect it enough, you don't deserve the item. Next time learn from your mistake and take better care of it.

So why does DST have Reload last archive feature?If that's what you say, it's better to die and destroy the world

5 minutes ago, lv746591263 said:

So why does DST have Reload last archive feature?If that's what you say, it's better to die and destroy the world

Because this is a multiplayer game and multiplayer games have griefers. You'll notice don't starve doesn't have that feature and everyone dying causes the world to try to reset instead of promoting a rollback.

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Because this is a multiplayer game and multiplayer games have griefers. You'll notice don't starve doesn't have that feature and everyone dying causes the world to try to reset instead of promoting a rollback.

That's why I hate the mechanic of excessive punishment, like the cow is dead and irreparable,20 days of hard work is gone,Shield is as hard to get as it is, the boss is too hard, I think it's close to the Cave boss, but the rewards are cheap and easy to disappear, which is unreasonable and frustrating and painful

16 minutes ago, lv746591263 said:

Comparing it to erasing entire world is not fair. I said that i don't agree with gradually making it less punishing, not "i want to make it as punishing as possible". See the difference?

4 minutes ago, lv746591263 said:

That's why I hate the mechanic of excessive punishment, like the cow is dead and irreparable,20 days of hard work is gone,Shield is as hard to get as it is, the boss is too hard, I think it's close to the Cave boss, but the rewards are cheap and easy to disappear, which is unreasonable and frustrating and painful

Fighting Fuel Weaver is definitely harder. You need more tools, need to know his mechanics and adapt. Fighting twins is very hard, they deal insane amount of damage and are difficult to dodge, but the mechanics are much simple all you really need is walking cane, decent weapon and armor in case you get hit (of course, pan flute helps tremendously).

The rewards are not only shield, but also gears and gems. I agree, the drop from twins could be more useful taking into account their difficulty, but i choose to view it more as a trophy. And while it is not as useful as an eyebrella, the use case is pretty unique and actually good. The shield basically doesn't have a competition in what it offers.

Also, easy to dissapear is subjective, I'm not using the shield usually, but I can wear the mask almost indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Both armor and a weapon in a single slot does. I wouldn't be opposed to a durability buff but it doesn't need it. It's already a great item.

With this durability, I'd rather have it as just a weapon

It’s literally like any other boss drop.. over use an Eyebrella without repairing it… and it gets destroyed.

That is part of the UNCOMPROMISING game that your playing 

(Spiders and Other players use to could accidentally or intentionally “eat” the Deerclops eye too)

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

UNCOMPROMISING

You guys hold up this sequence of letters as though it is something divine and unfailingly good, but there are plenty of design choices that could be considered "UNCOMPROMISING" that would also just be **** game design that not even you would enjoy.

39 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

You guys hold up this sequence of letters as though it is something divine and unfailingly good, but there are plenty of design choices that could be considered "UNCOMPROMISING" that would also just be **** game design that not even you would enjoy.

Eh I see it no different from spending days building and fully decking out a boat with all its available upgrades only to smash it against a salt stack and sink everything you poured your time into. Or spending 15ish odd days taming a Beefalo only for it to die to a random group of Bees in spring.

Or building a nice beautiful base being completely unaware of “Meteor Showers” and watch everything you built get smashed by space rocks..

Despite looking like a childrens game- DST is designed for ages 13+ people who enjoy the above mentioned challenges and struggles and are old enough to come up with clever ways to avoid those things happening OR Stubborn enough to build a new boat or tame a new Beefalo or rebuild that base and laugh in the face of danger.

I think paying attention to the durability of your weapons/resources/Health/Hunger/Sanity/Wetness etc is just a part of the game…

So yeah it agitates me a bit to read when people want to try and change that.

Seeing as the Lantern and Wanda's Clock and a few other items that are obtained through various difficulties can be at 0% without breaking I think it's fair to let a boss item go to 0% without breaking, or at the very least leave it as an unusable ''broken'' variant of the item that needs to be repaired with another material(perhaps walrus tusk or thulecite) to 1% so it can be fed again and drops on the ground when breaking. (Maybe even put the eye to ''sleep'' when it breaks only waking up after 20 days so that a player still gets to keep their helmet but still has to wait as long as it takes for someone else to get their turn)

Clothing items like the Eyebrella and Magilum are different in that they can't be broken extremely fast with successive attacks and will always slowly wittle away giving the player plenty of time to fix them before they degrade fully. They are also much easier to obtain in comparison.

Klei even disregards the durability breakage system in more recent examples like the Vortex Cloak in Hamlet, so any sort of philosophy on maintaining some noble form of difficulty by managing a bunch of percentages when most of you already complain about managing meters kind of rings dry to me.

Thankfully there is a mod that does this for the mask already, I don't know if there's one for the shield so it's whatever.

46 minutes ago, cropo said:

Thankfully there is a mod that does this for the mask already, I don't know if there's one for the shield so it's whatever.

There is, a mod for both of them at the same time. 

4 hours ago, lv746591263 said:

some people like to play like that and was the thing that bring to the franchise since DS didnt have rollbacks

1 hour ago, cropo said:

Seeing as the Lantern and Wanda's Clock and a few other items that are obtained through various difficulties can be at 0% without breaking I think it's fair to let a boss item go to 0% without breaking, or at the very least leave it as an unusable ''broken'

but is a living thing so isnt broken, is death. Is the only drop worth to repeat the fight and make you save resources, paying a little of attention is fair and, imo, fun instead of just going yolo and if it brokes nothing punishing happens, the same for beefalos and other items

Also eye of terror is one of the easier bosses, even easier than deerclops,  so players can simply fight them multiple times without much problems

the twins are a little harder and is true that the shield could have more durability but you are getting a infinity durability weapon that reach the 50 damage treshold and gives log suit armor which makes you able to wear 3 pierces of armor (extending all armor durability equiped at the cost of monster meat), using non armor items like cc crown or mag, safer bone armor use, etc

and didnt mentioned how damm cheap is to repair them, 2 monster meat....

43 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Also eye of terror is one of the easier bosses, even easier than deerclops,  so players can simply fight them multiple times without much problems

Deerclops can literally be face-tanked. Does not have a noticeable time-limit to speak of, does not summon minions, and doesn't have to be constantly chased. There's a lot more going on in the fight than with Deerclops. It's an easier raid-boss for sure, but to compare its difficulty to Deerclops is misleading. You can even avoid him until daytime and fight him without a light source.

but is a living thing so isnt broken, is death

For one, internal logic in this game has no meaning any more. For two, no character references the two items as still living in the slightest. For Three, In Terraria itself the Eyemask is an item dropped on EoC's death that can be worn along with its shield and there is no references to them still being alive. In fact it's kind of a point in Terraria to rip off the organs/skin of a boss and wear it as an accessory.

which makes you able to wear 3 pierces of armor

Not that big of a deal, and arguably a terrible idea.  It's a cool idea to have a hand-slot item be a piece of armor that can attack like the Vortex Cloak which comes from an easier boss and has a similar dual-role that doesn't break at 0% but that doesn't really give it a reason to fully break at 0%

and didnt mentioned how damm cheap is to repair them, 2 monster meat....

Every repairable item in this game is damn cheap to repair.

Is the only drop worth to repeat the figh

There is plenty of reason to repeat the fight if you die to splemunkeys or lose it in a spot that you can't reasonably retrieve, or to get duplicates for other players. Wanting bosses to be worth grinding beyond that starts to bring this game into an MMO grind territory rather than a survival game, I know there are already bosses that are like this but for most bosses a significant motivating factor being killing them repeatedly is already lost on the first kill.

paying a little of attention is fair and, imo, fun

You would still have to be ''paying attention'' either way since if it broke on you in the middle of getting gangspanked(which is the only scenario where it would actually break) and you had zero armor on(which is a likely scenario). Having the item permanently lost on top of that doesn't really add to the experience, it adds a new chore to your grind list to deal with. I don't think that's ''fun''.

There's no harm in making these items unbreakable and giving them a hefty cooldown before they can be ''unbroken'' without having to slog through the boss over again when none of the other repairable items require that much effort.

2 minutes ago, cropo said:

Deerclops can literally be face-tanked. Does not have a noticeable time-limit to speak of, does not summon minions, and doesn't have to be constantly chased. There's a lot more going on in the fight than with Deerclops. It's an easier raid-boss for sure, but to compare its difficulty to Deerclops is misleading.

ignoring -400 insanity aura and fighting in winter is misleading

3 minutes ago, cropo said:

For one, internal logic in this game has no meaning any more. For two, no character references the two items as still living in the slightest. For Three, In Terraria itself the Eyemask is an item dropped on EoC's death that can be worn along with its shield and there is no references to them still being alive. In fact it's kind of a point in Terraria to rip off the organs/skin of a boss and wear it as an accessory.

you can literally see them eating by feeding them in the floor so i think they are kinda alive

4 minutes ago, cropo said:

Every repairable item in this game is damn cheap to repair.

not as much as an infinite armor and an infinity/armor and weapon, even wanda clock is more expensive to be refueled (which is fair for the potential damage)

5 minutes ago, cropo said:

Not that big of a deal, and arguably a terrible idea.  It's a cool idea to have a hand-slot item be a piece of armor that can attack like the Vortex Cloak which comes from a harder boss and has a similar dual-role that doesn't break at 0% but that doesn't really give it a reason to fully break at 0%

is a big of a deal when you are making your armor last longer or having 2 pieces of armor with head light or wearing bone armor and having 80% armor when is on cooldown thanks to the shield. Since was release i use them a lot to clean the ruins and is my day to day armors

Vortex cloak removed sanity as extra downside plus was way more expensive to refuel. Honestly, would make sense that the cloak breaks so you have a reason to refight ancient herald

9 minutes ago, cropo said:

There is plenty of reason to repeat the fight if you die to splemunkeys or lose it in a spot that you can't reasonably retrieve, or to get duplicates for other players. Wanting bosses to be worth grinding beyond that starts to bring this game into an MMO grind territory rather than a survival game, I know there are already bosses that are like this but for most bosses a significant motivating factor being killing them repeatedly is already lost on the first kill.

is only grindy if you dont care about keeping them above 1%. If you aren't able to do that maybe you need to get used but isnt grindy at all having to fighr the twins every many hundred days and potentially never...obv if someone doesnt pay attention ofc will see that as a big punish but i dont know how can you break the shield outside of boss fights when mobs deals usually between 20 and 50 damage... kinda pathetic damage tbh

12 minutes ago, cropo said:

You would still have to be ''paying attention'' either way since if it broke on you in the middle of getting gangspanked(which is the only scenario where it would actually break) and you had zero armor on(which is a likely scenario). Having the item permanently lost on top of that doesn't really add to the experience, it adds a new chore to your grind list to deal with. I don't think that's ''fun''.

that is not fun for me, lose a lot of excitement knowing that even if i perform very bad i wont get punished...I almost have a heart atack noticing that my shield was at 1% because i made a huge mistake, making this mechanic more casual will just remove that funny moments. You wont make me change my mind about this and hopefully neither kleis mind since

i suggest you to use other armor along the shield so you dont break it easily

next suggestion will be making beequeen hat reparaible with honey....

32 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ignoring -400 insanity aura and fighting in winter is misleading

No, you build a campfire to warm you up and then face tank him so he can't freeze you and you can't get cold. Unless they've recently changed this. He dies before the negative sanity effects start to matter. You're also 99% likely to be carrying a thermal stone, and you can wait to fight him during daytime which you can't do with EoC.

not as much as an infinite armor and an infinity/armor and weapon, even wanda clock is more expensive to be refueled (which is fair for the potential damage)

Wandas clock and bone armor are not expensive to repair, this is a meaningless point.  If something costs a penny and something costs two pennies, it's true that the two penny item is ''more expensive'' but it is still not expensive. I'll bet 10$ that many players would rather nerf the efficiency of repairing it in exchange for making it not break at 0%.

is a big of a deal when you are making your armor last longer or having 2 pieces of armor with head light or wearing bone armor and having 80% armor when is on cooldown thanks to the shield. Since was release i use them a lot to clean the ruins and is my day to day armors

The reason you would want an extra slot to give you armor is to replace the role of it being on the head and not to double down on it. It's being thrifty, not that big of a deal as this has always been a thing before the Shield of Terror came out. I mean it's not totally worthless, but it's not some ungodly benefit that makes permanent breakage such an integral part of its design.

Vortex cloak removed sanity as extra downside plus was way more expensive to refuel

Vortex Cloak also gave you super-armor and was by no means expensive to repair. Also sanity is a very meagre downside, it's why everyone argued that Wolfgang needed a more meaningful nerf than ''losing sanity a bit faster'' because no one really cares about sanity in a majority of situations they are in.  There is a mod for an ''uncompromising'' experience that I'm sure you're familiar with that makes sanity a REAL threat. It has a similar role to these items, and it's cheap to repair unless you're strapped on Nightmare fuel for some reason when that resource is almost as easy to obtain as monster meat and in some cases depending on your character IS easier.

that is not fun for me, lose a lot of excitement knowing that even if i perform very bad i wont get punished..

In the scenario I was describing you would get punished, you'd literally die in a second. If you want stricter punishments you can play Singleplayer and never use a single touch stone or meat effigy.

i suggest you to use other armor along the shield so you dont break it easily

You're basically saying you should use armor to protect armor which makes the shield really apparent in its lack of prestige for an unconventional armor item.

next suggestion will be making beequeen hat reparaible with honey....

Because the Bee Crown is clearly the same type of item as the Vortex Cloak, Eye Mask, and Shield of Terror right?  That would be like me quipping you're gonna suggest someone stand right next to every player and punch them for every mistake they make so they have a longer lasting ''punishment'' for their mistakes to make the game more exciting and enjoyable.

The reason it breaks is to give you a REASON to re-fight the boss, rather than obtain the item once and then afterwards never need to worry about it again.

The Eyemask has a bunch of unique properties that makes it too useful NOT to break.. for starters you can repair it with just rot found on the ground..

You can also feed it normally bad for you foods without penalty’s (like red caps)

Last but not least.. you can feed the masks Glowberries and use them as Light Sources.

They don’t take damage when not being Worn on your head.. so you can just take them off when at low % and feed them to repair.

Archived