Why do people hate the idea of a DST spin-off

New home is a free-to-play mobile game you can't compare to paid computer/console game, mobile games have different audiences, standards, and markets, what consider a good game on mobile is probably just decent on computers/consoles, I know this because I'm one, for us the quality of a good game are pretty good art, addictive gameplay, and pretty good music, as you see the standard are really low, you can't even compare free-to-play mobile game to free-to-play computers/consoles games because free-to-play computers/consoles games are rarer but also have higher quality ( not saying mobile games don't have high quality but it rarer than computer/console ) and less microtransaction, New home isn't even canon I was thinking more of canon spin-off that takes somewhere in the constant or other places, the DST spin-off is most likely gonna be paid computer/console game and I don't it will be like Newhome, after all, it a spin-off that is paid they don't need microtransactions to guarantee it a success.

Let me explain this in the best way that I know how.. a Spin-off game would be like Rainbow Six Siege & Rainbow Six Extraction..

Sure they may share similar characters, devices and to a degree gameplay- but… people who bought siege don’t want zombies in their game.. If you buy Extraction you buy Extraction knowing it’s a Zombie game where dying will prevent you from playing as a character until you rescue them again..

It shares similarities with Siege… of course- but ultimately it’s it’s own game with its own Fanbase and people who liked Siege may Hate Extraction & Vice Versa.

Should DST become Mario Kart or Super Smash Brawl? That would depend on how popular the concept is…. But do bare in mind that people who like DST like it for being DST and Not Mario Kart Smash Deluxe.

Its okay if YOUR into that type of thing.. but you asked why do people hate spin-offs and I gave my best reasonable answer

27 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Let me explain this in the best way that I know how.. a Spin-off game would be like Rainbow Six Siege & Rainbow Six Extraction..

Sure they may share similar characters, devices and to a degree gameplay- but… people who bought siege don’t want zombies in their game.. If you buy Extraction you buy Extraction knowing it’s a Zombie game where dying will prevent you from playing as a character until you rescue them again..

It shares similarities with Siege… of course- but ultimately it’s it’s own game with its own Fanbase and people who liked Siege may Hate Extraction & Vice Versa.

Should DST become Mario Kart or Super Smash Brawl? That would depend on how popular the concept is…. But do bare in mind that people who like DST like it for being DST and Not Mario Kart Smash Deluxe.

Its okay if YOUR into that type of thing.. but you asked why do people hate spin-offs and I gave my best reasonable answer

But that answer only works if the spin-off is so far removed from DST but still canon to the story and even then if the spin-off fit the lore and story it could add new stuff to the story without breaking any continuity it could be a good spin-off if the game is good and the story fit I don't think anyone will be mad about that, even if the spin-off style and genres are so different from DST it just them more stuff to explore that couldn't be done with the main series games.

2 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

A spin-off game would likely be just a different game with DST setting slapped on it.

That is the point of a spin-off, but it just needs to fit the lore and story of the main game ( if it wants to be canon ).

7 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

I don't. I just don't think a dst spin-off is needed.

I think DST need spin-off, the current game now leave a lot of room for story and I think spin-off is a great way for us to know more about the characters, their relationshi, the world, and Charlie.

5 minutes ago, jan Mele said:

Most games are bad

You just have too high of a standard.

1 hour ago, jan Mele said:

Most games are bad

It Takes Two is actually really good.. provided you can find someone to play it with. 

Also Just because DS NewHome is a mobile game doesn’t give it any excuse to be bad.. Don’t Starve Reigns of Giants & Don’t Starve Shipwrecked Pocket Editions exist.. those are faithfully loyal to what you expect from Dont Starve while still being on Mobile.

DS NewHome however.. is a non-canon spin-off made by a company that wasn’t Klei..

I don’t even think NewHome is officially released yet… but a lot of people aren’t liking it.

Change things too much- and it’s not even the same franchises, genre or game.

Spinoffs have worked before.. (see Lugi’s Mansion) but as I said- if you bought Lugis Mansion expecting it to play like a Mario game: Your in for a disappointment.

Sonic & Mario are the biggest “spinoff” spawning franchise out there, from golf, to tennis, to Olympic Winter Games, the only thing these games share in common is the world/characters but gameplay wise: Mario Kart isn’t going to play the same as Mario Party/Mario 64 etc..

My only worry is that NewHome will come out and then Klei will either make NewHome the new version of DST, or they’ll discontinue DST so all you got left to play is NewHome.. either way I deeply dread the day NewHome replaces DST should that day ever come.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

My only worry is that NewHome will come out and then Klei will either make NewHome the new version of DST, or they’ll discontinue DST so all you got left to play is NewHome.. either way I deeply dread the day NewHome replaces DST should that day ever come.

463119794_Arielkomisan.png.a6c7d4ae656bee4370b88da782e8c634.png815723615_Arielwarburtonbruh.thumb.png.87951172dd78e442084fb8406f6a31f7.png1076847581_Arielbewilder.png.798785cf301df79c208b07960ec8f994.png

1 hour ago, Waoling said:

You just have too high of a standard.

Someone wasn't on steam during the greenlight days

4 hours ago, Waoling said:

Why do people hate the idea of a DST spin-off?

I wouldn't want the dev team to be split on don't starve content, nor do I think the Don't Starve experience needs to be drastically branched out so far that the only way it could be done was through a spin-off. If I want to play another kind of game, I'd play a game that is specifically designed through-and-through to be that game, not some hollow shell of a game with the DST aesthetic painted over it in an incredibly unfitting and unflattering way.

*cough*

I believe Klei realizes this too. Their other game concepts not only move past the Don't Starve art style but have nothing to do with Don't Starve in the slightest, really. When they go for another game, they give it it's own unique look and style, so the whole thing fits its own aesthetic and can more easily be recognized and admired on its own merits.

3 hours ago, Waoling said:

New home is a free-to-play mobile game you can't compare to paid computer/console game, mobile games have different audiences, standards, and markets, what consider a good game on mobile is probably just decent on computers/consoles, I know this because I'm one, for us the quality of a good game are pretty good art, addictive gameplay, and pretty good music, as you see the standard are really low, you can't even compare free-to-play mobile game to free-to-play computers/consoles games because free-to-play computers/consoles games are rarer but also have higher quality ( not saying mobile games don't have high quality but it rarer than computer/console ) and less microtransaction, New home isn't even canon I was thinking more of canon spin-off that takes somewhere in the constant or other places, the DST spin-off is most likely gonna be paid computer/console game and I don't it will be like Newhome, after all, it a spin-off that is paid they don't need microtransactions to guarantee it a success.

New Home did not need to exist, and I personally view it as a stain on the legacy of DST. And free-to-play mobile games USED to be extremely good, with genuinely fun gameplay that didn't hinge on daily ad views or microtransactions, until companies discovered what was profitable and just shifted absolutely everything to that model, killing the idea of making an actually fun game in a complete package first for almost all new mobile game developments. Now they just feel like the smallest idea gets milked completely dry until whatever dust remains crawls over and asks if you'd like to pay $2.99 to remove ads.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Newhome is by tencent, not by klei.

Tencent can do their microtransaction stuff there while klei updates DST, now with more budget since they are owned by a big company.

This is obviously the best case scenario but what is there to doubt this will happen?

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Also Just because DS NewHome is a mobile game doesn’t give it any excuse to be bad.. Don’t Starve Reigns of Giants & Don’t Starve Shipwrecked Pocket Editions exist.. those are faithfully loyal to what you expect from Dont Starve while still being on Mobile.

You forgot the other part of what I said "free-to-play" which means the game going to have microtransaction, gameplay that makes you wait for things, energy points, gems, and other in-game currency, long quest, constant griding, and overall lower quality, the mobile market has different niche and thing compare to computer/console game and the customer have the lowest standard, and the 3 games you mention those are port and paid, of course, those are good.

49 minutes ago, Auth said:

Someone wasn't on steam during the greenlight days

I wouldn't want the dev team to be split on don't starve content, nor do I think the Don't Starve experience needs to be drastically branched out so far that the only way it could be done was through a spin-off. If I want to play another kind of game, I'd play a game that is specifically designed through-and-through to be that game, not some hollow shell of a game with the DST aesthetic painted over it in an incredibly unfitting and unflattering way.

*cough*

I believe Klei realizes this too. Their other game concepts not only move past the Don't Starve art style but have nothing to do with Don't Starve in the slightest, really. When they go for another game, they give it it's own unique look and style, so the whole thing fits its own aesthetic and can more easily be recognized and admired on its own merits.

New Home did not need to exist, and I personally view it as a stain on the legacy of DST. And free-to-play mobile games USED to be extremely good, with genuinely fun gameplay that didn't hinge on daily ad views or microtransactions, until companies discovered what was profitable and just shifted absolutely everything to that model, killing the idea of making an actually fun game in a complete package first for almost all new mobile game developments. Now they just feel like the smallest idea gets milked completely dry until whatever dust remains crawls over and asks if you'd like to pay $2.99 to remove ads.

Why do you think Klei can't do a good spin-off? I don't want to repeat the reason why I think a DST spin-off is a good idea so I won't, art style and aesthetic should not define the game, the spin-off just needs to follow the story and be a good game of that genre, what is even is DST experience? The spin-off should have its own style and gameplay, not just some game that kinda fits the genres with a DST sticker on it, I also think if the spin-off is designed to be a visual novel or any other game genre they should be as good as any other visual novel maybe even better, Mario isn't designed to be a kart game, a strategy game, or a party game, yet Nintendo make those games and they were good and still feel like Mario even if the art style, the aesthetic, the gameplay, the mechanic are all different so why can't DST do it?

4 hours ago, -Variant said:

Newhome.

It's awful, it's literally got a Gacha game system. Microtransactions, the few betas they've had are miserable. DAILY EXP system. Augh.
No good.

and dont me talk about the artistic and mechanical part...you really notice which things are from klei but with a colour filter and how awful are the combat and tutorials

Archived