Getting new CPU - will this make a big enough difference for ONI?

Hey, so after 7 years I'm changing my CPU. I've asked around at Rimworld Discord, and now I'm here - my two beloved, CPU-devouring games :) Going by what I was considering + what I've learned from RW folks, I'm leaning towards i5 12600K.

My question is - is this a good CPU for ONI? I've seen people around here talking about their i9s with crazy specs, that's waaay beyond my budget. 12600K is obviously a very solid CPU in general, but I wonder what could I expect from it in regards to ONI? What are you guys running and with what sorts of results?

1 hour ago, meekay said:

Mine's "Space Gray" and seems to work fine. :)

I don't know what that is - looking at Google some kind of tablet? So I assume it's a joke answer? Sorry, unsure.

If not a joke, what is it and what is "fine"? By 'how is it' I meant more what sort of FPS people get with how many dupes/asteroids/systems/uncovered maps etc.

It's somewhat jokey. I'm running on a MacBook Pro, which is available in two colors. I don't have the FPS metrics, for me the worst pain comes when the auto-save forces a 5-10 second delay.

Also, Visual Studio for the Mac is objectively terrible.

3 hours ago, Ellilea said:

My question is - is this a good CPU for ONI? I've seen people around here talking about their i9s with crazy specs, that's waaay beyond my budget. 12600K is obviously a very solid CPU in general, but I wonder what could I expect from it in regards to ONI? What are you guys running and with what sorts of results?

well i personally would go i7 version if i9 is too mutch ,as you buy pc for long run anyway, but i5 would todo work as well.

one is sure this game runs much better at 12 than in older generation intel cpus as they todo huge Single core jump and this game needs that

if you to have separate video-card then you not necessary need buy K version but instead you could buy KF version because that is little cheaper

as the intel video is not the best anyway for gaming

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

well i personally would go i7 version if i9 is too mutch ,as you buy pc for long run anyway, but i5 would todo work as well.

one is sure this game runs much better at 12 than in older generation intel cpus as they todo huge Single core jump and this game needs that

if you to have separate video-card then you not necessary need buy K version but instead you could buy KF version because that is little cheaper

as the intel video is not the best anyway for gaming

From what I've read i7 and i9 are only really worth it for people doing a lot of complex art related things though? Video editing, animation creation, a lot of 3D rendering, as those are the things that use all those threads and cores. Isn't that the case?

41 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

From what I've read i7 and i9 are only really worth it for people doing a lot of complex art related things though? Video editing, animation creation, a lot of 3D rendering, as those are the things that use all those threads and cores. Isn't that the case?

statistic show that they to have also better single core, soo its not only about the complex stuff but anyway the i5 fill be fine aswell if you see that there where is bucket limit for you

note i to have i9-12900k

and i can hit very high at single core table if i want

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/z466hz

47 minutes ago, Ellilea said:

Even if i7 or i9 wouldn't pop-up regularly as "worth it" for video games, don't forget that ONI is far to be a standard video game.

Games that gather much more people do often need high tier GPU but with "relatively low" CPU processing.

My guess is readings you can find mostly refer to this kind of popular games, so are not very applicable to games like RW & ONI. You must think out of the box for it

58 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Even if i7 or i9 wouldn't pop-up regularly as "worth it" for video games, don't forget that ONI is far to be a standard video game.

Games that gather much more people do often need high tier GPU but with "relatively low" CPU processing.

My guess is readings you can find mostly refer to this kind of popular games, so are not very applicable to games like RW & ONI. You must think out of the box for it

I do try, that's why I'm focusing on CPU upgrade over GPU, but I've heard ONI doesn't do great with using all the CPU's available resources and is still heavy on the first core?

Comparing i5 to i7 single core performance of the current generation on the benchmark sites doesn't show difference.

It's all rather confusing, won't lie.

You may check the AMD Ryzen 7 5800x at your price range. I received a gift of AMD Ryzen 5950x from me to myself this new year, and it works nicely. I had 17 dupes, and after 700 turns and exploring most of the space, the game was running smoothly. 

No matter what CPU you buy, you will still see frame drops at the end game.

1 hour ago, evilcat19xx said:

You may check the AMD Ryzen 7 5800x at your price range. I received a gift of AMD Ryzen 5950x from me to myself this new year, and it works nicely. I had 17 dupes, and after 700 turns and exploring most of the space, the game was running smoothly. 

No matter what CPU you buy, you will still see frame drops at the end game.

but that is  going to backward as intel i5 12 series first off is cheap and beats all the single core performance in amd at current market including the 5950x

if going to cheap then i5 does it job very well its just i7 and i9 are better like they price

if you not notice then one guy get with i3-12100F what is 19% lower than i5-12600k, at our benchmark test get the 106 sec

that is very good result from very low cost cpu, amd cpu needs overclocked for get same result soo you suggestion is bad

intel coal was beat all the single core cpus in marked including MAC and they todo that with they 12 series cpus

as this game does need Single core most off it, that what user also should focus about

but one i agree with you, there is no earth the cpu what can handle ONI at VERY LONG RUN but at least you could run it better at to the point were its start drop

3 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Save a few $$$. The newly released AMD R7 5600 is practically the same as the 5600x just a bit cheaper.

or just go for i3-12100F as you can get that with only 112 eurs atleast in my shop

this game can run with 4 cores but it would take max out off it everything soo you would not have much room left for other stuff like streaming recording and soo on without stress the cpu

whatever 12 series intel cpu he/she buy as new pc  it get allot better results than his current pc

but don't start cheap too much at memory as those may bring your cpu down by choosing wrong ones

Please beware of the usual recommendation of focusing on single-core performance. While it's unlikely the game will move toward being great with lots of cores, it's already using several threads, and the performance improvements announced in the roadmap might be implemented by pushing more work on threads.

That's actually exactly what's done in Fast Track, which can perhaps offer a glimpse of what ONI will be once Klei will get around implementing the promised performance improvements.

I had a quick look at CPU benchmarks, and both the i5 12600K and AMD R7 5600 seem to offer about the same performance. They score 4x higher than my (very old) CPU, which manages to get around 10 FPS without Fast Track or 20/30 FPS with Fast Track on a late-game colony (4 colonized SO asteroids with a fair bit of stuff, though not quite fully excavated). I'd say they are going enough to run comfortably while not blowing your budget, though as Ixenzo said, you'll inevitably see a drop in FPS no matter what.

33 minutes ago, Fradow said:

Please beware of the usual recommendation of focusing on single-core performance.

you not know that when app main threat hit the limit then fps starts drop? as it just cant make anymore the code loop fast en-oh

so there where the single core performance comes to the playground

there is fix for that, what is called multi-thread, but how the unity engine works there is no easy solution. 

and that what makes also servers kind off useless for games, they may have 64 cores but as single core is average, they cant beat that

4 hours ago, gabberworld said:

or just go for i3-12100F as you can get that with only 112 eurs atleast in my shop

Sorry if this gets too political for the forum but I do not support companies that despite their claims to the contrary still operate in currently sanctioned countries so I consider Intel an absolute no-go for any reasonably morally minded person.

1 minute ago, Saturnus said:

Sorry if this gets too political for the forum but I do not support companies that despite their claims to the contrary still operate in currently sanctioned countries.

well. that is you between them so i not sure why you tell that to me

31 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I told you what specifically? I have no idea what you're talking about?

it do-sent matter for me if you to like AMD more than Intel. there is + sides for AMD for sure like low power usage and you not need upgrade your motherboard all the time.

but that goes totally off topic because user wants buy yourself a better pc

whatever he/she buys, at 7 years later it will be garbage again for even better games, as that how computer market been working

our benchmark shows tho that for AMD R5 5600x you needed overclock the pc for get close the 100 sec. that new  AMD R5 5600 performs kind off  same  so you not get better results with that but instead you buy relaunched old cpu with lower price

our benchmark does also have AMD Ryzen 7 5800x results and that also not have super great result.

it is good yes because that does hit 110 sec but for buy that as new pc. its not worth it because i5-12600K is cheaper and it performs 17% better in single core

question mark is for me why AMD relaunched the old CPU. in my view it looks like AMD is in little trouble because off Intel new 12 series cpus 

so they re launch old cpu for grab the money as that what it is if you launch something again by different name

Remember that AMD usually offers smoother performance at lower FPS, due to better task-switching and better memory interface. Jitter is important for the subjective gaming experience and Intel seems to have lots of it while AMD does not. Not sure this still applies to the lastest offerings from Intel, but a few years ago the difference was striking, i.e. Intel CPUs needed 2x or more the FPS for the same experience as AMD. 

34 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Remember that AMD usually offers smoother performance at lower FPS, due to better task-switching and better memory interface. Jitter is important for the subjective gaming experience and Intel seems to have lots of it while AMD does not. Not sure this still applies to the lastest offerings from Intel, but a few years ago the difference was striking, i.e. Intel CPUs needed 2x or more the FPS for the same experience as AMD. 

it docent matter because we to have allot cpu results at here

that data what users posted at there is very useful for those who start buy new pc as they can see what they get

now if this game had full multi-core support then AMD would win but as its not have then results are currently different

Archived