The world of the last game you play ( not DS/T ) mix with DS/T world

The world of the last game you play ( not DS/T ) mix with DS/T world  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to play it

6 hours ago, IanKSB91 said:

The last game I played was Civilization VI, hmm I wonder how that would work.

(raises hand, jumps up and down like a dork)  Ooh!  Ooh!  I've done that TOO!  Kinda.  (Well, the Civ games style + DST in general, anyway, I dunno about Civ 6 in particular.)  Allow me to introduce you to: The MARCH OF CIVILIZATION CHALLENGE...

dstcivday13allowedstuff.png.b65f9980dd994cd32a1d2d62b6545ce2.png

(here, Walani poses with the stuff you're allowed to make in the first year. That's all of it.)

...which is way the hell out of date and I not only need to majorly change it to fit with the way the game is now, but also just learn more about the newer (to me) stuff in the game itself, so I don't make a fool of myself.

But ANYway.  The basic idea is:  You make and do things in the game not in the order that they're unlockable by DST terms, but rather by (roughly) what order they were "unlocked" in real-life history.  For example, a thermal stone is an alchemy engine recipe, but for pete's sake, it's a ROCK.  People figured out "warm up solid thing that loses heat slowly and keep in clothes to not freeze" a long time ago.  So you're allowed to have a thermal stone from Year 1 (also because if you don't, you'll die).

Spoiler

Each in-game year is an era, and it always starts with you being more or less a nomadic hunter-gatherer.  There have to be some exceptions made along the way, of course, such as endothermic fires (pretty much all magic-ish stuff in DS/T will have to be handwaved), but in general don't make anything that looks definitely metal or plastic for a good long time, and in the first year you also can't have any form of farming.  Agriculture is later. 

dstcivday106agriculture.png.2ba91aa4c0b3aaaafa9a8a3e74ce9e60.png

For extra historical detail, I didn't allow myself a pet until I reached the Agricultural Revolution era, because I wanted a cat...and cats, specifically, didn't start hanging out with humans until we had granaries! (A thing every Civ town should ALSO have, of course).  If I'd wanted a varglet I could've had one of those from the get-go.

dstcivday57cherriesandapples.png.38e97744b1a4a0702a4b765e0318a926.png

I'm not sure when orchardry (?) is, but I'm guessing not until basic farming as well.  Obviously you'll need mods for this--"Cherry Forest" and "Birds, Berries, Trees and Flowers for Friends" or whatever its name is.  ("birds and berries" will find it on the workshop.  Note my "collection o' things I'm not allowed to use yet but also didn't want to forget where they were" all over the ground there.)

dstcivday158treeweathermen.png.b78fcc96b1acceddbe0f0d1c6a67139e.png

Want to know what the weather is going to do next and when?  Use trees, like our ancestors did!

Signs and mini-signs?  You'll have to wait until you unlock Writing on the tech tree! 

dstcivday178writing.png.991fb83947a0f3b1dd48549d1e3e7519.png

You start off "working" stone, fur, skins, wood, grass, flowers--basic natural materials--and it's a while before you can spin, dye and weave/knit fibers into cloth, so earmuffs AND beefalo hat = okay for the beginning, winter hat = no.  Etc.  Stone walls come along later, so do carpets and marble statuary.  Boats?  Well, you'll have to unlock some form of Seafaring for that.  I guess here you could decide _which_ "Civ" you're pretending to model yourself after, so you can be the Vikings or the Polynesians or something and get boats earlier, if you want.  : P
(Note that when I wrote the original DST BOATS WEREN'T A THING YET, so...yeah, that's how old this is.)

I mean I did freaking RESEARCH for this thing--for example, I tried to learn when the first leather headgear might've been made, so I could place the football helmet accurately in the challenge. Heh.  (I did that because I WANTED to, mind you, because I'm a massive geek, but still...)

By the way, items you find from nature are ALWAYS useable, so you can hunter-gather yourself right into the swamp and pick up a tentacle spike on day 1, if you want.  Items from boons and setpieces can be _used_,

dstcivday9temptingbackpack.png.479db00740000b4db4a965c9bc751682.png

(tempting backpack...)

but you can't learn or make them yourself until you hit the right time period.  So you can HAVE that free shovel, but when it runs out it runs out.  In the early days you're gonna end up with random stuff all over your "floor", as you find things that you, the PLAYER, know you're gonna want later, but your _character_ doesn't know what to do with yet.  XD

For a fuller experience you might want a few mods; specifically I would recommend Pickle It!, because preserving veggies is ALSO a very old technology and why should meat get all the fun? and perhaps "Thirst", so you can have wells, so it's like you've got part of a town water-supply/irrigation system going on. 

dstcivday93allswellthatendswell.png.a3feddd18f14a4afd7ac0caa27c2a00b.png

...BUT, you'll also have an entire new need to take care of, so that one's up to you.  And for totally-optional-but-awesome flavor, try dressing up in outfits that fit whatever era you're in, as you go along:

walanistoneage.thumb.png.bdf86da78b0e13f07066e6b79e754fe5.png

My artists'-rendition of Walani's "Stone Age" outfit--the in-game version was actually made out of Forge (version 1.0) stuff.  (Wilson's vest (recoloured here), Willow's leather skirt, Wendy's fluffy slippers and Wolfgang's hand-paint.)  She doesn't actually _have_ custom head-skins of course, but hey.

highpriestesswalani.thumb.png.0595aeff2e0824f24f2cac4bceae793e.png

The "High Priestess" outfit/era, complete with kitty familiar friend.  This outfit is loosely based off of the green Lunar New Year robe, aka my favourite Year of the Thingie outfit that I wear every single time. 

dstcivtoga.png.863e58867707f39f2b2541d1e745c998.png

I died laughing when I got this, _while playing the challenge_. Game!  How did you know?  XD

And, you can build a Year of the Thingie shrine in any "era" that humans would've discovered religion!

dstcivday88highpriestess.png.ebcd0fbe992a7e093bc9ad21f0f49eba.png

The original "High Priestess" look in-game, although I forgot to change into the green robe before taking this.  Whoops.

Also when I first wrote this, disease was still a thing, so I was gonna have an optional time when you just LET disease run rampant all over the place to simulate a famine?  plague?  There's also a time when you should make a point of exploring the whole world and then also making maps of it, for the Age of Exploration. 

I was also considering ending it in an apocalypse, too, by turning up lightning, meteors and wildfires and letting the game just go NUTS!  Then a post-apocalyptic rebuilding period.  I never got anywhere near that far, however--crashes happened.  :(

The idea is that as you go along, you go from just a firepit with stuff all over the floor next to it, to 

dstcivday104actualstructureszomg.png.c8ab11704d36e4141fdbd4a5f7005fbc.png

this, to

dstcivday204updatedstarvania.png.e3b3ff1941b35dd652f1f611313fca6f.png

this, and beyond--but you can't just build things whenever you have the materials for it.  History took _time_.  Ya gotta EARN it.  It's a very long-term challenge, obviously, but for me anyway, it was fun.
(but MAN do I have to rewrite the heck out of it.  : P)

Also, this is where my custom title "High Priestess of Starvania" came from, in case anyone was wondering.  :)

AND, to close the circle of my favourite building games...I also made a CIVILIZATION map in the SIMS!  (That was for a specific challenge which WAS, in fact:  "Make Sims 4 look like another game.") But I don't have a screenshot of that yet, I keep forgetting to take one when I'm playing Sims.  Heh.

...Notorious

14 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

(raises hand, jumps up and down like a dork)  Ooh!  Ooh!  I've done that TOO!  Kinda.  (Well, the Civ games style + DST in general, anyway, I dunno about Civ 6 in particular.)  Allow me to introduce you to: The MARCH OF CIVILIZATION CHALLENGE...

dstcivday13allowedstuff.png.b65f9980dd994cd32a1d2d62b6545ce2.png

(here, Walani poses with the stuff you're allowed to make in the first year. That's all of it.)

...which is way the hell out of date and I not only need to majorly change it to fit with the way the game is now, but also just learn more about the newer (to me) stuff in the game itself, so I don't make a fool of myself.

But ANYway.  The basic idea is:  You make and do things in the game not in the order that they're unlockable by DST terms, but rather by (roughly) what order they were "unlocked" in real-life history.  For example, a thermal stone is an alchemy engine recipe, but for pete's sake, it's a ROCK.  People figured out "warm up solid thing that loses heat slowly and keep in clothes to not freeze" a long time ago.  So you're allowed to have a thermal stone from Year 1 (also because if you don't, you'll die).

Reveal hidden contents

Each in-game year is an era, and it always starts with you being more or less a nomadic hunter-gatherer.  There have to be some exceptions made along the way, of course, such as endothermic fires (pretty much all magic-ish stuff in DS/T will have to be handwaved), but in general don't make anything that looks definitely metal or plastic for a good long time, and in the first year you also can't have any form of farming.  Agriculture is later. 

dstcivday106agriculture.png.2ba91aa4c0b3aaaafa9a8a3e74ce9e60.png

For extra historical detail, I didn't allow myself a pet until I reached the Agricultural Revolution era, because I wanted a cat...and cats, specifically, didn't start hanging out with humans until we had granaries! (A thing every Civ town should ALSO have, of course).  If I'd wanted a varglet I could've had one of those from the get-go.

dstcivday57cherriesandapples.png.38e97744b1a4a0702a4b765e0318a926.png

I'm not sure when orchardry (?) is, but I'm guessing not until basic farming as well.  Obviously you'll need mods for this--"Cherry Forest" and "Birds, Berries, Trees and Flowers for Friends" or whatever its name is.  ("birds and berries" will find it on the workshop.  Note my "collection o' things I'm not allowed to use yet but also didn't want to forget where they were" all over the ground there.)

dstcivday158treeweathermen.png.b78fcc96b1acceddbe0f0d1c6a67139e.png

Want to know what the weather is going to do next and when?  Use trees, like our ancestors did!

Signs and mini-signs?  You'll have to wait until you unlock Writing on the tech tree! 

dstcivday178writing.png.991fb83947a0f3b1dd48549d1e3e7519.png

You start off working stone, fur and leather and it's a while before you can spin, dye and weave/knit fibers into cloth, so earmuffs AND beefalo hat = okay for the beginning, winter hat = no.  Etc.  Boats?  Well, you'll have to unlock some form of Seafaring for that.  I guess here you could decide _which_ "Civ" you're pretending to model yourself after, so you can be the Vikings or the Polynesians or something and get boats earlier, if you want.  : P
(Note that when I wrote the original DST BOATS WEREN'T A THING YET, so...yeah, that's how old this is.)

I mean I did freaking RESEARCH for this thing--for example, I tried to learn when the first leather headgear might've been made, so I could place the football helmet accurately in the challenge. Heh.  (I did that because I WANTED to, mind you, because I'm a massive geek, but still...)

By the way, items you find from nature are ALWAYS useable, so you can hunter-gather yourself right into the swamp and pick up a tentacle spike on day 1, if you want.  Items from boons and setpieces can be _used_,

dstcivday9temptingbackpack.png.479db00740000b4db4a965c9bc751682.png

(tempting backpack...)

but you can't learn or make them yourself until you hit the right time period.  So you can HAVE that free shovel, but when it runs out it runs out.  In the early days you're gonna end up with random stuff all over your "floor", as you find things that you, the PLAYER, know you're gonna want later, but your _character_ doesn't know what to do with yet.  XD

For a fuller experience you might want a few mods; specifically I would recommend Pickle It!, because preserving veggies is ALSO a very old technology and why should meat get all the fun? and perhaps "Thirst", so you can have wells, so it's like you've got part of a town water-supply/irrigation system going on. 

dstcivday93allswellthatendswell.png.a3feddd18f14a4afd7ac0caa27c2a00b.png

...BUT, you'll also have an entire new need to take care of, so that one's up to you.  And for totally-optional-but-awesome flavor, try dressing up in outfits that fit whatever era you're in, as you go along:

walanistoneage.thumb.png.bdf86da78b0e13f07066e6b79e754fe5.png

My artists'-rendition of Walani's "Stone Age" outfit--the in-game version was actually made out of Forge (version 1.0) stuff.  (Wilson's vest (recoloured here), Willow's leather skirt, Wendy's fluffy slippers and Wolfgang's hand-paint.)  She doesn't actually _have_ custom head-skins of course, but hey.

highpriestesswalani.thumb.png.0595aeff2e0824f24f2cac4bceae793e.png

The "High Priestess" outfit/era, complete with kitty familiar friend.  This outfit is loosely based off of the green Lunar New Year robe, aka my favourite Year of the Thingie outfit that I wear every single time. 

dstcivtoga.png.863e58867707f39f2b2541d1e745c998.png

I died laughing when I got this, _while playing the challenge_. Game!  How did you know?  XD

And, you can build a Year of the Thingie shrine in any "era" that humans would've discovered religion!

dstcivday88highpriestess.png.ebcd0fbe992a7e093bc9ad21f0f49eba.png

The original "High Priestess" look in-game, although I forgot to change into the green robe before taking this.  Whoops.

Also when I first wrote this, disease was still a thing, so I was gonna have an optional time when you just LET disease run rampant all over the place to simulate a famine?  plague?  There's also a time when you should make a point of exploring the whole world and then also making maps of it, for the Age of Exploration. 

I was also considering ending it in an apocalypse, too, by turning up lightning, meteors and wildfires and letting the game just go NUTS!  Then a post-apocalyptic rebuilding period.  I never got anywhere near that far, however--crashes happened.  :(

The idea is that as you go along, you go from just a firepit with stuff all over the floor next to it, to 

dstcivday104actualstructureszomg.png.c8ab11704d36e4141fdbd4a5f7005fbc.png

this, to

dstcivday204updatedstarvania.png.e3b3ff1941b35dd652f1f611313fca6f.png

this, and beyond--but you can't just build things whenever you have the materials for it.  History took _time_.  Ya gotta EARN it.  It's a very long-term challenge, obviously, but for me anyway, it was fun.
(but MAN do I have to rewrite the heck out of it.  : P)

Also, this is where my custom title "High Priestess of Starvania" came from, in case anyone was wondering.  :)

...Notorious

Ja, this is very interesting, it truly its a very creative way to play the game :-D, I may try it.

Aww, thank you!  I had a big long thread about it at the time (it happened during the Year of the Varg, so...when was that, 2018?) with tons of pictures telling the story along the way, all kinds of (of course) snarky captions for them, and the _title_ of the thread itself kept changing names whenever I went to a new era, so people would know.   Like: "The March of Civilization--NOW with Agriculture!"  (I still have the pictures but I'm not sure if I can remember what I said with each one, lol.)

A couple of people _did_ in fact try their own versions of it, at the time!  I was so flattered. :)

Edit:  I finally remembered to take a screenshot of that other thing.

similization.thumb.png.7d1965d685cb69e20425090b3f6673d9.png

I present to you:  SIMILIZATION!  (Yes that's actually its name on the Sims 4 gallery.  : P)

The challenge was:  "Make Sims 4 look like another game.  ANY other game."  My original idea involved painting a lot all black, then making two long thin white rectangle buildings and a little octagon one in between them (so, Pong XD) but then I got more ambitious.

A LOT more ambitious.

Spoiler

This took for freaking EVER, but I think the end result is worth it.  I used various debug food and mineral items and sized them up to represent "resource deposits" on the "map", (apples in a deciduous forest, fishes on the coastline, etc.--the Arabian-like civ even has a circle of very dark black flooring to represent "oil") upsized toy horses are cavalry units, little MySims dolls represent soldiers (I picked them because they all have different color shirts, _like factions in actual Civ games_!), both the ocean and river are just different tile floors (so is the coastline) and the "lava" inside the volcano is just a square of firey-patterned carpet.  No, really.  You can see the Polynesian/Islander style civ already has boat units out, as well.

And because I could, I used dragonfruit, specifically, to represent the "desert fruit" resource. ;)

No hexagons, so I guess this'd have to be one of the older Civ games.  It kinda reminds me of Civ 4, personally.
(I also took close-ups of each individual "capital city", but this is long enough already.  Heh.)

Can YOU build a Sims legacy civilization to withstand THE TEST OF TIME?
Amusingly, this like, closes the "circle" with Sims as the bookend universe:  Sims 3-DST...DST-Civ...Civ-Sims 4.  I didn't do that on purpose, but it's kinda funny.  : P

...Notorious

Last game I played was Gears 5, and yes I would play a DST x Gears 5 Crossover- here’s how I picture it working..

Instead of sending Jack out to fetch stuff or distract enemies, I Send Wes.. that way when Wes dies (& he will) Jack is still good to go for a bit while Wes respawns.

Um yesterday I played the Pumpkin Eater.... like if you mix the two then basically the scarecrow in DST will rot and its rotting process will need to be 100% medically accurate?

1210347463_ScreenShot2022-04-05at6_07_56PM.png.69ef4e762bed00bfe60cd39245eef66c.png 

They do bear some resemblance....

literally speaking, the last game i played was plants vs zombies. zombies could be sort of like hound attacks, the plants would be like a way cheaper houndius shootius.... if we are not literally speaking, im actually thinking of a crossover between psychonauts 2 and dont starve right now

On 4/2/2022 at 6:12 PM, Pinkamena11FazP said:

I'm obsessed with Psychonauts it's the best game because it reminds me of Coraline, I don't know how to explain the game without spoiling too much but it's the best steam game I've played. (I don't recommend buying the VR game that is a prequel to the second game, so I always recommend just watching a playthrough with no commentary since it's a 1-2 hour point and click VR game that's 20 bucks) 

It'd be cool to see how it could be mixed with DST, since most of the characters have psychic powers like Telekinisis, pyrokinisis, ect. And also the fact they travel into people's mind to basically be mental therapists to help with mental baggage. 

14 hours ago, kittem said:

if we are not literally speaking, im actually thinking of a crossover between psychonauts 2 and dont starve right now

Me too.

Last game I played was Tainted Grail: Conquest, this is my type of game.. it reminds me of Baldurs Gate, but mixed with a card battle rogue lite, the enemy monsters are awesome looking, I’m sure it would probably Evoke nightmares into little kids.. but I’d love to see a DSTxTGC crossover.

You even need to use Candles to fend of the Wyrdness! (That’s not miss-spelled)

Wilson hears Woodie's footsteps on the other side of a wall so he fans his pax claw and hears Woodie's silly death noise. Maxwell barges in and blasts Willow with a Romero hatchet, then him and Wilson charge each other. They used melee so they obviously both fall over, turn into ghosts, world resetting in 120 seconds appears.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Wilson hears Woodie's footsteps on the other side of a wall so he fans his pax claw and hears Woodie's silly death noise. Maxwell barges in and blasts Willow with a Romero hatchet, then him and Wilson charge each other. They used melee so they obviously both fall over, turn into ghosts, world resetting in 120 seconds appears.

What is the game?

Archived