Complex feeding; a reworking of the nutrition system.

In Don't Starve a player could only eat candy. Obviously this goes against any logic of a correct diet, which is why I would propose a simple food system to Klei. Foods are already divided into categories within the game: meat, vegetables, sweeteners, fish, etc. A character needs at least 1 of these food groups every two days of play (16 min. Real game). If the character's diet becomes deficient in an essential food, the character becomes weaker. Its damage and maximum health are reduced by 10%. If the character continues to not feed properly, neglecting more and more food groups, his health can be halved, as well as his attack. In short, not only to die of hunger, but also to eat properly.

The Strongman | Don't Starve! Amino

Realistic does not mean fun, what gameplay purpose this serves? Not that this sugestion is realistic xd. Although this post might be a joke and I'm just stupid. 

If you want to try out something mechanically similliar to this, try the "Picky Eater" mod (Or was it "Eat your Vegies"?)

It's a bit more extreme tho.

3 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

this sounds like unneeded pain, alsol i gues rip wigfrid and wurt i guess, died to be extreme warly mode

Warly would be exempt from this system, because he already has a mechanism that punishes a poorly varied diet. Wigfrid and Wurt would not suffer the same penalties as the other characters; but they should still eat at least one of each food group allowed to them.
However, crockpot dishes would cater to multiple food groups at once, and a player with a vegetable garden, beefarm and a rabbit / pig farm should be able to feed without too much trouble.

32 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

However, crockpot dishes would cater to multiple food groups at once

That would take some time to add, since as of now, all the food has only one type. Not the biggest problem tho.

32 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

and a player with a vegetable garden, beefarm and a rabbit / pig farm should be able to feed without too much trouble.

I just wan to enjoy the ruins in early game xd. although it shouldn't be that much more time consuming if fish is not necesarry for the diet.

The main issue is that this mechanic isn't necesarry: It will affect how new players learn to survive, but after that it just pads out the play time a bit too much. It would work better in solo ds ig, since it's less of a sandbox than dst, but still.

Bulk player-base (newbies/noobs/casuals) are all-over-the-place when it comes to gathering, food in particular - yet most are quite bad at it. Usually if they enter without a modicum of food in Mosaic/Deserts/Rock Quarry, most end up dead. If, on top of this general gathering problem (food most-included), KLei would add up mandatory variety and a "healthy" mechanic, mentioned bulk would fail even harder than current state. Likewise for experienced players would mean added tediousness without any payoff. Even if some payoff would be introduced (being "healthy" over certain thresholds equals speed/damage/etc boosts), still seems pretty convoluted. I for one am not convinced such extra mechanic would bring anything positive for DST atm.

While I'm not sure about the specific implementation suggested here, I do think that something of its ilk could be good for the game. As it stands, once you get/figure out any reliable food source, you're pretty much good for the rest of the game. A mechanic that incentivizes players to get a wide variety of food sources could be something worth trying out.

26 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Why?

What's the payoff?

Why does it need a pay off? As I said, the point is so that you have a reason to seek out a variety of food sources instead of just using the first one you get.

11 minutes ago, SkyistheGround said:

you mean warly?

Not quite. While Warly is fun, he doesn't really do the things that OP brought up. And because his stomach is timer-based, it's pretty easy to cheese just by knowing how much food he's going to lose over 2 days, and then eating that much whenever you're hungry enough.

while we're adding terrible realism game mechanics, lets add a breath meter that requires you to breath every 10 seconds, a blinking meter that will remove vision of the game every 5 seconds, and stamina meter which stops you from moving if you move for to long without breaks

7 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Not quite. While Warly is fun, he doesn't really do the things that OP brought up. And because his stomach is timer-based, it's pretty easy to cheese just by knowing how much food he's going to lose over 2 days, and then eating that much whenever you're hungry enough.

warly already has a similar mechanic is the point. applying a similar downside to every character would take away from his uniqeness as a character. his playstyle was built around forcing the player to learn/consider new food options and the idea of making every other character also have to consider it is stepping on his toes

I think it should be a less of a bother in the first few days. Maybe it should only start later? Or have a downside that would be more relevant later? Like getting more damage/healing being less effective

I'm not relly sold on this, especially in the way OP described this. It wouldn't be that bad if it was here on release/during the beta, but oh well. 

23 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Why does it need a pay off? As I said, the point is so that you have a reason to seek out a variety of food sources instead of just using the first one you get.

That's just artificial complexity/tediousness for the sake of tediousness - no incentive to engage with it. Hardship elements need payoff, else is solely pain and (aside masochists) no one has the desire for such an interaction, in general. Mentioned Warly brings to the proverbial table Spices and special foods with positive effects, justifying his dietary iffiness. Some theoretical "Healthy" Nutrition system - aside needless complexity in a game already very complex, knowledge-wise, for bulk player-base - would require the introduction of special bons to justify subjecting players to its cons. Else, once more, is solely masochist design.

The only thing this will do is limit play styles and make the game objectively less fun and diverse. If I want to be a stereotypical wormwood main who sits at base and grow crops all day then let me! Why should I be punished for doing this other than “it’s not realistic!!!”? Where’s the fun in that? If players want to diversify their food, they can, but not everyone wants to deal with having to eat meats and veggies and fruits. Some people want to eat exclusively honey for an entire in-game year, and there’s nothing wrong with that!

Archived