DLC 2 Ideas

My request for a new DLC: more interesting interactions and system components.

The bead pump is a simple interaction that when properly exploited makes bead-pump boilers, mind blowingly efficient sour gas boilers.

The rule that liquid gets transported upward though an air mesh tile creates super interesting condensers.

The chemical change of oil to petroleum, then to sour gas, and to methane and sulfur, creates a wonderful drive and incentive to produce those things.

Polluted water outgasses pO2 that we can use deodorizers to make clay.

MOAR OF THAT! I want to spend hours designing reactors, processors, converters, systems, and gizmos.

They don't even need to be complete buildings, just the components of them. Like the steam turbine, we figure out where to get heat, the steam turbine allows us to design a buttload of devices around heat and steam conversion.

My specific suggestions? more chemical interactions.

Say have hydrogen and coal in the same tile and at a pressure of 10kg/tile or higher, then heat it to 300 celsius. It turns into natural gas. I'll spend weeks building a machine that uses this. 

How about refined metals and water or oxygen in a fuel cell that generates electricity and spits out metal ore? now metal ore is a renewable resource. 

Natural gas, plus steam, at 300 celsius, or 1000 celsius.... and that turns into carbon dioxide and hydrogen. 

how about a natural gas torch? feeds in natural gas and oxygen and the other end generates super high temperatures, like 3000 celsius. We can finally melt that abyssalite without exploits.

As a pair to that, a super turbine, takes in 3000c steam and generates 10kw of power. if done right, instead of building 75 natural gas generators to run off 10kg/s oil from a sour gas boiler, we instead build 6 of those torches and pair them with super turbines. Saves space and makes for more interesting designs.

Basically, give us the components, and we'll build the machines. it could be anything, and my components probably suck.

But MOAR COMPONENTS AND INTERACTIONS!

I would like to see more expansion into green tech, hydro electric power, wind power etc 

Not A DLC in itself but would be an interesting concept.

The biggest issue here is finding something that would be a DLC on its own. Personally I would like a DLC that just adds things that you can then use on either platform i.e. Spaced out or Vanilla. Add space stns, medical outbreaks, green tech etc they all have merit and could add to both games.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, ATM Reaper said:

I would like to see more expansion into green tech, hydro electric power, wind power etc 

Not A DLC in itself but would be an interesting concept.

Yeah, green tech would be really great. :congratulatory:

It should also include a 3d printer which consumes "Woodstock Filament", which is made in the Ozzy-Grinder from fluid wood.

On 3/3/2022 at 10:25 AM, sage_dupe said:

hello

1. space station

2. underwater colony

thx

In Spaced Out! you can already build an underwater colony, as there is a water planet. A space station would be cool though.. or maybe ( gasp ) a colony ship, which starts of as a modest station, then expands adding all kinds of gizmo's, storage and whatnot to it, with more and more dupes getting on board to do things, finally adding on engines and breaching through the temporal tear to explore the other side.

Idea for DLC: Fire.
If a combustible substance and oxygen on neighboring cells are burned with the release of heat.
Give us the opportunity to burn combustible substances and we will create many generators and smelters.

second. enter Charles's law into the game (When the pressure on a sample of a dry gas is held constant, the Kelvin temperature and the volume will be in direct proportion)
This will make refrigerators.

These two effects will allow us to create amazing systems without stock thermostats.

16 hours ago, bolt-007 said:

Idea for DLC: Fire.
If a combustible substance and oxygen on neighboring cells are burned with the release of heat.
Give us the opportunity to burn combustible substances and we will create many generators and smelters.

second. enter Charles's law into the game (When the pressure on a sample of a dry gas is held constant, the Kelvin temperature and the volume will be in direct proportion)
This will make refrigerators.

These two effects will allow us to create amazing systems without stock thermostats.

Fire would be a great new idea for the game :congratulatory: ...Maybe we are lucky and someday also get CoOp :concern::beguiled:

image.png.66a7a6aa383e25d44d005294d667a374.pngimage.png.fe73d807e8dda703af3ad437bad6fa14.png 4x CoOp

32 minutes ago, ATM Reaper said:

Has been 2 months now since the last post, come on Klei we need a hint :-) pls pls pls make it compatible with Spaced Out as I much prefer that to the base game.

It seems that at this moment even Klei has no idea what DLC2 will be about

You should expect hints about upcomming content pack much sooner than anything about DLC2

Just now, pether said:

It seems that at this moment even Klei has no idea what DLC2 will be about

You should expect hints about upcomming content pack much sooner than anything about DLC2

well. they could add mechanics what missing like burn baby burn, what in general does need allot work because off need draw new textures what probably also makes game also allot bigger.

another is that they could make multiplayer support. but not exactly like this what players think ed about.

but if you remember they talked about the modding recently. it could be that they are currently making official modding support. what could be also nice

I think weather is one of the few things that can really be implemented without the DLC being just "spaced out 2" or a glorified update to spaced out. 

It's something that you can implement into base game, especially inside the asteroid which is the exact opposite of where spaced out focused on. 

For example: The jungle biome could have acid rainstorms that would burn dupes and damage atmo suits (provided durability is turned on), but leave dreckos and plants unharmed, but there would be a special tree in the biome that dupes could harvest to get it's branches, which work as umbrellas, shielding them from the rain, but it requires acid from the acid rain to grow domestically.

Or something smaller, like the tundra biome having infrequent snowstorms that speed up heat transfer and fling debris around, and if debris hits a dupe it can deal a small amount of damage or stun them.

Have the saltwater biome spawn waves that damage buildings made of metal when it hits them because of rust, and dupes can surf the waves using a surfboard made at the crafting station for double the boost of the mechanical surfboard, at the cost of waves being random and infrequent.

Make the forest biome grow weeds after some rain and if left alone they'll become hostile sentient plants that attack everything and drop plant meat

Hell, just give the ore scrubber a use by adding a germy ore to the slime biome that's really dangerous in terms of germs but is needed to craft a weather machine to predict weather or control it in some way. God knows the ore scrubber could use something to do.

Add some new critters into the game, like a lava fish that spawns in the core, provided you don't have the frozen core worldtrait, and gives you obsidian, or a bird that turns refined metal into metal ore and can be sheared for feathers to make a weather resistant suit, or a wing suit, or a wind turbine, but it has a screech that stuns dupes and starts a natural disaster depending on the biome it's in, like a miniature tornado that flings debris everywhere, or a giant tsunami that stuns dupes and breaks buildings.

Have it's variants start the weather effects of the biome they're connected to, like a tundra bird having a higher chance to have it's egg laid when the weather bird is in the tundra biome, and the tundra birds screech starts a snowstorm.

They'd have to revamp biomes for it, of course, make them bigger and less of just tiles, but it would be a nice way of focusing on the asteroid and not on space.

There have been a lot of good ideas presented. I suggest a University DLC "Back to School". This would permit development of several smaller ideas by adding schools of geology, biology, radiology, archeology, astronomy, etc. This could incorporate many changes which are not quite big enough for a dedicated DLC. A dupe can spend a cycles as a student. 

Geology: Freshmen - Melt ice; Sophomore - Efficient fossil/lime; Junior - % discover object; Senior - Mine neutronium

I will definitely buy this dlc:

1. Different players play on different asteroids as part of a large shared game. This will allow everyone to build and develop in their own way. (and maybe save you some friends lol). I dream of playing with my children on one star map (each has its own asteroid .. or two-three-four)!

Possible additional settings - general research branch / personal research.

2. New building - trade exchange. Allows you to swap resources between asteroids/players.

3. Nuance: when another player leaves the game, his colony is "frozen". When you re-enter the general game, the colony of an individual player is "turned on" again.

This will help avoid the situation "While I was having lunch, the volcano filled everything with lava, oxygen flew into space, the only living beings are tons of morbs, aaaaa."

Also, each player has his own "pause" and his own speed of the game.

You get an update of the state of each asteroid of the general map, the ability to change resources and visit other asteroids. Additional setting - "prohibition of other players from changing my asteroid".

15 hours ago, Omdev said:

I will definitely buy this dlc:

1. Different players play on different asteroids as part of a large shared game.

That wouldn't be a DLC, that would be an entire new game. O2NI (to highlight number 2) or something like that. It would require making everything from scratch, redo core components of the game. It's not like they can take single-player game and just DLC 2nd player into that by copy-pasting some of single-player code.

Also, I really don't get the idea why people want each player to have their own asteroid. Why lie to yourself you are playing with friends, when first you must play many hours of single-player game before you can see somebody's dupes (assuming you both endured that long and didn't get bored before)

11 hours ago, pether said:

I really don't get the idea why people want each player to have their own asteroid

Perhaps this style of play does not suit you personally. 

I love it.
I have played tens and hundreds of hours with my kids in these games:
 City from EA Games - a general map with separate "cities" (with the possibility of selling resources and some services).
 Factorio from Wube software - playing on a common territory (and it depends only on your relationship whether you will compete, or be friends, ban yourself in your area, or build factories and defend together).

12 hours ago, pether said:

It would require making everything from scratch, redo core components of the game

It's not obligatory.
I am ready to tell respected programmers KLei how it can be done with minimal code additions (and maybe even earn extra money on this wonderful game).

5 hours ago, Omdev said:

Perhaps this style of play does not suit you personally. 

Maybe - I have a few friends and aligning our schedule to play ANYTHING is really challenging - but not the issue here.

I don't understand why people want to play multiplayer that locks all multiplayer features behind 100s cycles of singleplayer. It's like you wanted to play ONI, but on game start you would be forced to play 20 hours of candy crash - it might not be a bad game, people may like it, but it's not what you wanted to do and wasting 20 hours on it could be discouraging.

At what point in your games you have working rocketry system for space travel without major limitations? Until that point all interaction with 2nd player you can have only on a discord call, and that you can do today without any DLCs. I just don't understand what's so appealing in multiplayer like that? Is it mere "multi" in it's name? That makes no sense...

5 hours ago, Omdev said:

It's not obligatory.

Obligatory - not. Just much, much, MUCH easier than pushing multiplayer components into singleplayer architecture.

5 hours ago, Omdev said:

I am ready to tell respected programmers KLei how it can be done with minimal code additions

You should make a mod since you already see the solution for this. If you accepted donations, you could even make some additional money on this wonderful idea.

3 hours ago, natelolzzz said:

I mean I would love a dlc or other game based on multiplayer but that's probably just me

It's not just you - there are plenty people who love the idea and would happily play it. But there are also many people who hate it and would never buy the DLC out of principle. There are also people like me, who would be curious to see it, but wouldn't have anybody to play it with.

But it all does not matter - Klei won't do multiplayer DLC for ONI, it is not a DLC scope and the game is not designed to be played in multiplayer. If we saw something like that it would be a brand new title to buy.

12 hours ago, natelolzzz said:

just me

No, co-op is not just for you (and me)
I rarely go to this forum, but even I know a few people from here who are interested in multiplayer in one way or another.

My son regularly plays various games online with friends from all over the world. More than half the time it's Factorio.

Maybe I should switch to another game. Or create it.

Seems like the game could work with some hostiles to add to the survival aspect. Enemies could enter from the top, bottom, or sides of the map or from POI. Pull in some tower-defense aspects for defending the surface. Have special planets or deeper levels of the map that are heavily defended with rare materials. You have to sneakily set up defenses and slowly move in. There could be a set distance where they can detect your colony, and if they do they will start digging toward you.

I was surprised that critters didn't get mutations too. Perhaps that can be in the new DLC and mutated critters could have abilities that help defend the colony. The systems could be build on top of existing systems. Different traps and defenses could be based on the each of other systems (plumbing, electrical, ventilation). The hostiles could carry infections or leave radiation behind, even after being defeated. (Mutant or Zombie Dupes from other failed colonies)

The hostile camps could be defending upgrade blueprints to existing tech and special materials to do said upgrades. Something as simple as upgrading your existing liquid pump to have a higher overheat/melting point or lavatories now having a gas port that collects small amounts of natural gas (more from flatulent Dupes with a buff to prevent their expulsions for a period of time).

Archived