DLC 2 Ideas

It was inevitable, need an ideas thread :D

For me the ability to co-op would be good. Also maybe be able to network with other ppl's colonies and trade via the resource launcher. Lastly how about some Dupe mutations..... use radiation to make super miners or super builders etc.

25 minutes ago, ATM Reaper said:

For me the ability to co-op would be good.

Yeah, you are right - for you. ONI being single-player game attracted many people who prefer single-player games over multiplayer and many people hate to hear about multiplayer in ONI - mostly because it would be very hard to do in a fun way. DLC2 being focused on co-op would be very risky and probably wouldn't sell very well - I, for example, would have nobody to play it with so I wouldn't see a point in buying it.

Also, quite important detail is that Klei's official statement is they are not going to do multiplayer in this game

31 minutes ago, ATM Reaper said:

Lastly how about some Dupe mutations..... use radiation to make super miners or super builders etc.

Nice idea, but probably it is not big enough for DLC. Also, people would be mad that they must pay twice for radiation DLC and would claim that radiation mutation should be included in DLC1 instead of paywalling it behind DLC2

Well, the DLC doesn't need to be one thing, like Spaced Out wasn't one thing. No idea what the main theme should be though, since other then expanding on Space travel I don't see anything else glaringly missing from the game. 

I would love to see one of the things the DLC gives is a rework of the skill point system in some way, I find the current one to be very rudimentary with nothing to do with the skill points as early as mid game. I just end up with all my dupes having 20 unused skill points for no reason. A skill point system that has more dramatic and impacting options but that strictly locks you out of some other choices would be something I can get behind.

Another system I'd like to see is having building materials matter more and have more variety in their various effects when used in buildings. Cobalt ore built batteries having more capacity, Copper Ore wires having more wattage limit, Aluminum Ore built buildings producing less heat, etc.

A cosmic dangers system could also be nice, some form of escalatingly damaging events to your colony that are predictable once you learn them or build a building to predict them, and that you can build systems of defense accordingly (So think like meteors, but that can reach out with their consequences elsewhere and not just an asteroid surface)

2 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

A cosmic dangers system could also be nice, some form of escalatingly damaging events to your colony that are predictable once you learn them or build a building to predict them, and that you can build systems of defense accordingly

Nice idea, but why stop at cosmic dangers? We could have some random events striking our bases as well. Currently every disaster in the game is predictable and we can prepare or avoid it - what if at early game it would be impossible? Random fires starting, pest infestation, plague outbreak, earthquakes. things to make the game more challenging and fun. 

But yeah, during late game there should be a way to prevent those not to create repetitive annoyance for the player

2 minutes ago, pether said:

Nice idea, but why stop at cosmic dangers? We could have some random events striking our bases as well. Currently every disaster in the game is predictable and we can prepare or avoid it - what if at early game it would be impossible? Random fires starting, pest infestation, plague outbreak, earthquakes. things to make the game more challenging and fun. 

But yeah, during late game there should be a way to prevent those not to create repetitive annoyance for the player

The game is all about giving you escalatingly more difficult problems that you need to implement escalatingly more complex solutions to resolve. A danger's system shouldn't go too far out of this frame as it could easily become a nuisance instead of a challenge if it's too volatile and unpredictable. So stuff that you can't really reliably predict and design systems to counteract the effects should be avoided as just repairing the damage is too much picking up the pieces after you were slapped by the game for no reason. A careful balance is needed, one that I can't theorycraft to what the limit would be.

4 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

A careful balance is needed

Of course, perfectly balanced as all the things should be. Nothing to crazy, but not too boring either. I feel DLC1 is balances risks and dangers quite well and I have faith that Klei would do great job here as well

1 hour ago, pether said:

Yeah, you are right - for you. ONI being single-player game attracted many people who prefer single-player games over multiplayer and many people hate to hear about multiplayer in ONI - mostly because it would be very hard to do in a fun way. DLC2 being focused on co-op would be very risky and probably wouldn't sell very well - I, for example, would have nobody to play it with so I wouldn't see a point in buying it.

Also, quite important detail is that Klei's official statement is they are not going to do multiplayer in this game

Nice idea, but probably it is not big enough for DLC. Also, people would be mad that they must pay twice for radiation DLC and would claim that radiation mutation should be included in DLC1 instead of paywalling it behind DLC2

I get that not everyone is going to have co-op opportunities but to have the option would be nice, I wouldnt want a DLC solely focused on it if I am honest. It would be good however if to survive on other worlds you had to have a specific mutation in your dupe like methane breather or hydrogen for example. Mutations to grow gills and things like that to survive under water on water planets etc. The possibilities are endless :P

1 minute ago, ATM Reaper said:

I get that not everyone is going to have co-op opportunities but to have the option would be nice, I wouldnt want a DLC solely focused on it if I am honest. It would be good however if to survive on other worlds you had to have a specific mutation in your dupe like methane breather or hydrogen for example. Mutations to grow gills and things like that to survive under water on water planets etc. The possibilities are endless :P

Oh what I wouldn't give for my dupes to breathe Natural gas so I can populate the Moo Moonlet

I play ONI - coop, it was bad experience. Main point - if you play with random players, they will do things which you never accept. If you will play with your friends, you will lose your friends because of their stupidity faster then you will build monument.

Spoiler

and each of your ex-friend will be 100% sure that stupid here is everybody except him

1 minute ago, ATM Reaper said:

It would be good however if to survive on other worlds you had to have a specific mutation in your dupe like methane breather or hydrogen for example.

Wow, that's extreme! I love it :D If they made it medicine-fabricated DNA mutation, not radiation-based, they could focus entire DLC more on the medicine and diseases and people couldn't say that radiation mutations should have been included in radiation DLC

2 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

Oh what I wouldn't give for my dupes to breathe Natural gas so I can populate the Moo Moonlet

You really could expand this into a lot of areas, cold aura for cold planets, hot for lava planets with the downside that they emit what they gain i.e. if they are for hot planets they emit heat so housing them on your starter planet is not practical as they would burn everyone around them etc.

2 minutes ago, pether said:

Wow, that's extreme! I love it :D If they made it medicine-fabricated DNA mutation, not radiation-based, they could focus entire DLC more on the medicine and diseases and people couldn't say that radiation mutations should have been included in radiation DLC

The Neural Vaccilator could be expanded to accommodate this if remade, would need to be made to more reliably choose mutations you get and a way to get more recharges or manufacture them. More advanced/useful mutations would cost more charges (looking at you deep diver lungs).

2 minutes ago, ATM Reaper said:

You really could expand this into a lot of areas, cold aura for cold planets, hot for lava planets with the downside that they emit what they gain i.e. if they are for hot planets they emit heat so housing them on your starter planet is not practical as they would burn everyone around them etc.

The downside could be simply that the changes are irreversible honestly. They can never leave the hostile environments they were designed for

Maybe even have a new plant that emits spores that you need to harvest and pump into a new enclosed medical building to trigger the mutation. Or a new variety of plants which each spore type triggers a different mutation, so you have to access difficult areas in order to retrieve the plant but it doesnt emit the spores until it is fed a specific food type.

I hope that Klei would not even consider making mutant dupes... It would just plain silly, inappropriate and would not add up to the game experience. Same feelings towards idea of coop ONI... Though it could sound like fun but it isn't. It just rubbish like more decor or more recreation buildings. I would expect more than silly add-ons from Klei developers.

What I consider as viable options for future content (some of the ideas not mine, not all of them is big enough alone), so the list:

1. Spaceship, spacestation or something like that.

2. Chemistry and more different characteristics of building materials. ( Maybe same characteristics, but more impact)

3. Magnetism and gravity changing devices ( don't know where to implement them, but it would be something big and interesting)

4. More interaction with lights, like lasers and mirrors, more uses for it.

5. More interaction with germs, could be fermented foods, drinks, refining by fermentation or recycling using bacterias.

6. Any kind of late game threats like hostile AI robots, or space pirates or something like that, but not going for straight open war, battles and fights, more like outsmarting enemy and taking them up economically.

7. Further development of Gravitas civilization and technologies.

8. Burning and explosions (goes for chemistry - I guess)

9. Pilotless rockets, like deep space telescope, probe drones, shuttles, improved rovers or just plain rover2.0.

10. Anything that adds up to game as it is, making it more realistic (not in sense more like in real life, but as complex as real world physics). Not excluding new critters, plants, germs, materials, additional mechanics (like floating), overlays and more interaction between ones that already are.

I'm sorry for those who wish just more cosmetics and things that would ruin all gameplay and/or idea of the game - like physics simulator/cosmic sandbox/survival game. Any further add-ons should develop the game, make it deeper, more complex, give more freedom and allow more challenge for players and offcourse improve performance.

I believe in Klei team, so far ONI is the best game in a decade, it's fun, entertaining and educational (even though in fantasy world), also it stimulates your imagination and creativity, also trains your brain and gives decent challenges for many many hours. Klei, keep going as you were until now, and everything will be perfect someday!

I'd like to see the next expansion focus on DEPTH rather than BREADTH of systems. I gotta be honest I was a little bit disappointed with some of the new mechanics in Spaced Out like plant mutations, because while they are interesting they are completely ignorable and just don't feel worth the effort.

I also agree with others who suggested a rehaul of jobs/morale is sorely needed. I feel like once I set up a great hall I don't need to even think about morale for like 300 cycles, and at a certain point all your dupes just become experts in everything remotely useful and so they kind of lose their identity.

It'd be cool if the next expansion focused on building a Dupe utopia requiring more advanced materials and chemical processes. I feel like the endgame for people now is just "build cool stuff and/or make dupes super happy," it'd be cool if they integrated it into the actual game on a mechanical level instead of just a sort of sandbox goal.

I feel like a lot of systems should be expanded. People talk about more dangers when extreme cold is still not lethal. Germ system still has like 5 germ types (and 2 of them aren`t actual germs). There`s a ton of potential for expansion there. All those would benice but it would lack the "oomph". A dlc needs something special.

My favourite idea is to go for astro archeaology and finding some of the bigger Gravitas facilities along with the infamous Temporal Bow. Maybe it could be similar to how ruins tech works in DST. You`d have to find a gravitas research station, provide it with something unique a`la tulecite (maybe refined neutronium) which you`d have to find around the ruins or in space destinations. The research would unlock some crazy tech starting with AETNs, through teleporters and all the way to resource transmutation, reprogrammin/hacking the printing pod and lightspeed(instant) travel rockets all needing the limited resources.

Oh and i really whish we could milk the gassy moo. Gassy milk could be a nice ingredient for late game food. Imagine sparkly ice cream or floating cakes.

4 hours ago, WhiteWind36 said:

6. Any kind of late game threats like hostile AI robots, or space pirates or something like that, but not going for straight open war, battles and fights, more like outsmarting enemy and taking them up economically.

What if opening the Temporal Tear causes the beginning of a temporal incursion which starts to eat the Starmap from the outside in and spreading from the Tear itself.  In order to ensure the safety of the colony, the duplicants will have to quickly speed through a new branch of research on a previously unknown part of the research tree (or having to pillage a secret Gravitas facility possibly), dealing with temporal space mechanics in order to be able to craft massive, power-hungry temporal shield generators in order to keep the colony alive.

Opening the Tear and doing nothing to mitigate the "shrinking" of known space would eventually result in the entire Starmap and all asteroids vanishing into the void, possibly in a cinematic where a new blackhole forms before giving the player a Game Over screen and rolling the credits.

I'm thinking astronomical amounts of power to power these shields as well.  Something like 50 MW so you have to build a nuclear reactor or sour gas boiler to be able to power the thing, thus actually creating a need for these overbuilt contraptions not currently present in the game.  This power requirement would also rule out many asteroids for colonization as not every asteroid could provide enough resources to provide for it's shielding. Also, it would require securing a renewable source of fuel.  If the only renewable source of Uranium is a space POI, the player may have to move swiftly to protect their nuclear fuel or possibly put an expiration date on their colony tied to their Uranium stockpile.

This game already dabbles heavily into temporal sci-fi mechanics and this just takes it further. 

Opening the tear should warn the player that serious challenges lie ahead and their duplicants' live are about to become seriously disrupted, if not ended and erased from time entirely.  "Are you sure?" This would help mitigate complaints from EZ-mode-seekers, by giving them a warning and a choice.

Temporal-shield generator and etc sounds like idea for mod. Especially in context that temporal shield generator is same as monument, with only difference monument consume nothing, generator consume "something like 50MW". If it would be part of the game I give you 100% warranty there will be threads like:

- I build temporal shield generator, what is now?

- game become boring after all space objects disappear, how to reverse

- what is next ideas after we have temporal shield

From my opinion no need to change base game anymore, it is pretty good. May be it is make sense to do something completely new, like make map editor and allow to generate some kind of arcades, or scenarios, like "survival in mine", where you can build only ladders and can't dig hard materials, limited with resources, and idea is dig you path from the bottom of mine to the top. Add dialogs, character creation, battle mechanics and finally redo graphics to make it look like nice old top-down turn-based rpg

On 2/1/2022 at 12:48 AM, tuxii said:

What if opening the Temporal Tear causes the beginning of a temporal incursion which starts to eat the Starmap from the outside in and spreading from the Tear itself.  In order to ensure the safety of the colony, the duplicants will have to quickly speed through a new branch of research on a previously unknown part of the research tree (or having to pillage a secret Gravitas facility possibly), dealing with temporal space mechanics in order to be able to craft massive, power-hungry temporal shield generators in order to keep the colony alive.

Opening the Tear and doing nothing to mitigate the "shrinking" of known space would eventually result in the entire Starmap and all asteroids vanishing into the void, possibly in a cinematic where a new blackhole forms before giving the player a Game Over screen and rolling the credits.

I'm thinking astronomical amounts of power to power these shields as well.  Something like 50 MW so you have to build a nuclear reactor or sour gas boiler to be able to power the thing, thus actually creating a need for these overbuilt contraptions not currently present in the game.  This power requirement would also rule out many asteroids for colonization as not every asteroid could provide enough resources to provide for it's shielding. Also, it would require securing a renewable source of fuel.  If the only renewable source of Uranium is a space POI, the player may have to move swiftly to protect their nuclear fuel or possibly put an expiration date on their colony tied to their Uranium stockpile.

This game already dabbles heavily into temporal sci-fi mechanics and this just takes it further. 

Opening the tear should warn the player that serious challenges lie ahead and their duplicants' live are about to become seriously disrupted, if not ended and erased from time entirely.  "Are you sure?" This would help mitigate complaints from EZ-mode-seekers, by giving them a warning and a choice.

While this is an interesting end-game mechanic it is way too little for a new DLC.

My guess is that 1% maybe 5% of players have ever opened the Temporal Tear. The new DLC stuff has to work fromt he very start of the game.

Archived