How "stable" is the game for you ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How "stable" is the game for you ?

• Getting worse for me
    • Getting better for me
    • 1/10 Extremely frustrating
    • 2/10 Very bad
    • 3/10 Bad
    • 4/10 Sub par
    • 5/10 Average, wish it would be better
    • 6/10 Good
    • 7/10 Very good
    • 8/10 Happy
    • 9/10 Very happy
    • 10/10 Perfect
    • Zero - I can`t launch or play the game
    • I am still waiting for a certain crash fix
    • I have a low game frame rate ( FPS ), below ~ 30 FPS average
    • A re-occuring crash happens in my current save file, I can not progress with my save game

Behavior-wise, I've noticed that the game has a tendency to misbehave when running at maximum speed; debris falling through freshly-created tiles, dupes building through tiles as though they aren't there (not just freshly-created tiles though, which tosses out my theory of all these being the result of desynchronization), critters becoming "stuck" on a tile (most visible with pacu, when ~30 pacu will inexplicably decide to just hang out on a single tile indefinitely).

I've also noticed that the game itself is much more likely to crash running at max speed, compared to default speed (I've never had it crash with a unity exception at regular speed; that seems to be something that happens exclusively when the simulation is running quickly). My guess is that a lot of stuff is very sensitive to order-of-operation, and as speed increases (causing "business logic" to become a larger factor in execution time, since all the same business logic must occur within a shortened real-time span when running at higher speeds), which might also explain why ONI is constrained down to just two functional threads of execution; the more threads you have, the more opportunities you have for "weird combinations" of timings.

2 hours ago, Simonova said:

critters becoming "stuck" on a tile (most visible with pacu, when ~30 pacu will inexplicably decide to just hang out on a single tile indefinitely)

I don`t think it`s related to game speed. I had this happen on medium speed as well. It`s pretty common and seems related to the water levels changing.

8 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

I don`t think it`s related to game speed. I had this happen on medium speed as well. It`s pretty common and seems related to the water levels changing.

While I was writing all that, I did have the thought, "Is it possible I am noticing these things more at high game speed because, probability-wise, running the game at high speed gives me more things to notice?".

Dupes building through walls and floors seems to be an exclusively high-speed issue though; I've never seen that at normal speeds except if the action began before the intersecting tile was built.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

According to Playerbase2021, everything below 2000 FPS is impossible to play. At all!

What have we played the last 40 years?

below 60 fps game time start slow down, that shows also our benchmark, but game is still playable, 2000 fps at oni would be a wet dream

6 hours ago, gabberworld said:

below 60 fps game time start slow down, that shows also our benchmark, but game is still playable, 2000 fps at oni would be a wet dream

I can accept 30+ but below 30 is bad. I have tried even slower at 10-20 fps (when i was newbie dont know clean debris and reduce path finding etc). And i know it is playable at lower fps. It just lowering my experience while i want to play video game in smoothly graphics. It looks like earthquakes to my asteroids when i moving vision in game with below 30 fps at 3x speed. 

ps. I7-10875H with 16 gb ram

i am now considering upgrade the memory.

Since full release, I've only had 2 CTD events, and one of them was definitely the fault of a mod.

Speed is a different issue.  While the game certainly runs faster without the unlimited camera zoom mod, it's also nearly unplayable without it as well.  I'm keenly aware of how fast modern CPUs and GPUs are, and a game like this should never bog down.  On the other hand, I'm also a programmer, and I'm equally aware of how big of a project it would be to fix the codebase to correct this.  

I didn't notice (but neither paid attention) big FPS drops, but around 1000 cycles I started getting frequent black holes. Most common was null pointer to research chore (I'm not sure if a mod is to blame), but my game crashed after reaching the temporal tear and now I cannot load my save, so the colony is pretty-much lost...

I have nearly reached cycle 6000, still the first and only colony. I try to stay at 70 dupes, because at around +80 dupes my FPS drops by 50% with my save game. I believe my cpu caches are full and overloaded then, i7 7700k. The current plan is to cpu/board upgrade at Xmas 2022. :razz::ghost::concern:

It shall be at least the Intel Core i5-12600KF, but I hope more options are available on the market then. If AMD will be on top of the chart then for max $300, then it may be AMD. If scalpers start dealing with the cpu market in a year, then I will abort the upgrade. Currently the cpu market is still competitive and offers good value IMHO, contrary to the gpu market.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I sometimes have a game crash, but they do not instantly repeat. I hope Klei makes it someday possible to collect space field resources with unmanned rockets, like in the old base game. Also I find it a bit nuts to have +70 pilots...All my dupes are trained for lead suits, so my pilot choice list is a kilometer long in order to (un)man a rocket. Change the skill tree dear Klei !

image.thumb.png.bdf988b7efac4620f36d4e06dfe7d58e.png babba base central - Still looking forward to build my first reactor ever...

Currently I am building a giant water basin in the top area of the map. :beguiled:

image.thumb.png.36a953e6ab19426208a7827aa5baf259.png The proposed water tank area, for rocket launch cooling special effects

I cooled the bottom lava with oil, once all the damn sour gas has evaporated to space, in a thousand cycles, I will have a nice U shape Steam room for the entire map. I used to pump gas out with 30 pumps, but it just took too much electricity.

I have increased the space surface evaporation area + got a few gas dump chimneys running.

image.thumb.png.8be41d60e7c5ffe402cce42c2fa090ba.png

image.png.13dc7eacd0c41e1c3e4302c69974a2af.png

15 FPS is still ok, but 7 FPS sucks with +80 dupes. Shame Klei does not offer to limit the total map size to one colony, that would be great for the game performance, in combo with unmanned space rockets...Like in the old base game !

If one would run more large colonies with dupe troops, it would end in 1 FPS...Where 2 FPS would be an 100% improvement :lol: @cpy Don`t know how many died so far in this colony, perhaps 1500 dupes or so.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:42 AM, babba said:

I try to stay at 70 dupes, because at around +80 dupes my FPS drops by 50% with my save game.

Mm, 60-70 dupes seems to be about a sweet spot where there are enough to do work quickly when you tell them to, but not so many that they spend all their time standing around waiting to use their shared braincell and aren't able to work. After 100 dupes work is progressing slower and slower. With 144 dupes it is definitely reaching the limit of my player patience.

And ugh, that pilot thing... it is so difficult to find the few actual pilots amongst all the completely irrelevant haulers which is most of my colony. I need that suit skill so they aren't useless in suits. I absolutely do not need them to be marked as "pilots".

There was a mod created recently that fixes the skill tree to make more sense, but i don't want to install it in the middle of a game. And one shouldn't have to install a mod at all for something like this, really.

On 1/27/2022 at 2:30 AM, pether said:

I didn't notice (but neither paid attention) big FPS drops, but around 1000 cycles I started getting frequent black holes. Most common was null pointer to research chore (I'm not sure if a mod is to blame), but my game crashed after reaching the temporal tear and now I cannot load my save, so the colony is pretty-much lost...

I also found black holes getting more and more frequent with colony age. Mostly research chores as well. It seemed perfectly stable until materials science research started.

Actually it hasn't happened in a while now so maybe it's related to finishing one research and starting a new research? I'm still researching at the same speed but techs take more research to finish and it seems to crash less often. In any case i haven't been able to make it crash on purpose yet.

Interesting set of comments about performance. I would also like to develop my own game that would use inspiration from this, but would like to know about performance and responsiveness. Also why not use the power of the gpu for calculations? The gpu has so many cores to the point where you can run a few tiles of the game per core including all the debris maybe we should have gigagram storage containers, maybe it is just pathfinding that needs cpu to calculate. There are mentions of L1, L2, and L3 cache being filled up, so how many MB of such cache should we aim for when shopping for a computer? Unity 3D was meant to make development easier by providing a spot to plan your game, but going all out code from scrath with verbose c++ is good for performance but extreme time consuming to code.

8 hours ago, hbarudi said:

The gpu has so many cores to the point where you can run a few tiles of the game per core including all the debris maybe we should have gigagram storage containers, maybe it is just pathfinding that needs cpu to calculate.

I don't know how do Klei implement in ONI but there are some points may be your limitations. The most obvious part is how to define a few tiles per core. These few tiles in this core may interact with other tiles in another core. If you are considering your own game with that, make sure you have found a proper solution to that because synchronization between threads is difficult.

I guess some comments later might comes with multi thread issues said I think Klei should do what. I don't know what is best to the game. I just enjoy the game and pleased what I have now. If someone don't like it, just don't play it.

12 hours ago, hbarudi said:

Interesting set of comments about performance. I would also like to develop my own game that would use inspiration from this, but would like to know about performance and responsiveness. Also why not use the power of the gpu for calculations? The gpu has so many cores to the point where you can run a few tiles of the game per core including all the debris maybe we should have gigagram storage containers, maybe it is just pathfinding that needs cpu to calculate. There are mentions of L1, L2, and L3 cache being filled up, so how many MB of such cache should we aim for when shopping for a computer? Unity 3D was meant to make development easier by providing a spot to plan your game, but going all out code from scrath with verbose c++ is good for performance but extreme time consuming to code.

A litte rant on gpu`s... :lol:

Basically all much life I constantly had the latest gpu`s...I changed that at the beginning of the Pandemic-Box, tough the gpu market started to be already broken before that - Price increase wise, and by the game of constantly doubling up performance by doubling up energy consumption...heading towards gpu`s consuming 500-1000 Watts, thus having lots of customer returns with faulty and overheating cards.

Hello Nvidia`n`friends...$5000 - Goodbye !

It is nuts that (used?) gpu`s cost the same or double/quadruple of what someone paid for them a few years ago.

Lets hope that Intels Arc chips or new upcoming AMD stuff with the integrated gpu`s are somewhat worthy opponents someday, if not in the first Intel iterations...then perhaps laters. :flustered: Touch wood :p

If Intel Arc cpugpu`s will suck, then they maybe will suck at $100 or $200 and that may be ok...to create a new entry level cpugpu industry for customers.

If ONI could someday make more use of the players cpu cores, that would be great. :ghost: babba thinks any existing player gpus should be allocated optional, the game should never solely depend on possible installed player gpus...as a lot of players do not want to feed Nvidia`n`friends gold bars for a non progressing, $ hyper inflated gpu market which heats up the homes. On the other hand, some gamer friends said to me that they only heat their homes with Nvidia nowadays.

Coffee time now :bee:

image.png.781ca2d1bcd23ebf57fb21c7dbd83384.pngNvidia RTX8000 Abakus, usd $ 490 999

image.png.e1705c7ad616bfc394231d5d08b99a4c.pngimage.thumb.png.8596a61276d1737fa277f8ef00c387a7.png100 Tensor Balls Edition

Thanks for everyone participating in the poll, may the FPS be with you :cheerful::flustered:

If someone is playing ONI in 8K, photos of the mega screen setup in action would be great ! My old gtx1060strixx sucks in 4K :lol: At least it now costs the same on the market as it did 4 years ago.

The best FPS you can get in ONI is when you play different game. I'm playing lost ark and my FPS was never higher!

ONI is still my number one game with highest amount of hours played. After non steam factorio obviously.

5 hours ago, babba said:

Thanks for everyone participating in the poll, may the FPS be with you :cheerful::flustered:

If someone is playing ONI in 8K, photos of the mega screen setup in action would be great ! My old gtx1060strixx sucks in 4K :lol: At least it now costs the same on the market as it did 4 years ago.

im not sure issue is at gtx1060 as i played years in gtx970 4k. it still cpu between memory what mostly causes issues in ONI another is not fully supports multicores.

8k is kind to hard find in shop, as its rare price can be high as well.

but game in general is playable even at older machines just fps may not be the best.

there may be issues if user uses those onboard video-cards as they in general not have own gpu memory.

On 1/17/2022 at 5:58 PM, Simonova said:

critters becoming "stuck" on a tile (most visible with pacu, when ~30 pacu will inexplicably decide to just hang out on a single tile indefinitely).

Its lovely when ALL gulp pacus get stuck ON THE SIGLE clean water tile

I'm not mad at it at all

Archived