Do you think allowing mods to be fee-based is a good thing?

Do you think allowing mods to be fee-based is a good thing?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. As the title says, I don't mean to name names, but I think you all know what I'm referring to.

• Yep,I support it.
    • Please don't do that.

As the title says, I don't mean to name names, but I think you all know what I'm referring to.

Klei said they will focus on and fix this problem as soon as possible, so we can have a simple vote to showing our attitudes to help them to make better solution.

28 minutes ago, HellHeater said:

no 

no i dont 

please elaborate

you can check my last thread, about profit-making.

30 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Where is the "I don't care" answer?

Whatever you think, the final situation is just yes or no. You can only just pay or not.

Just like "Do you recommend this game? yes or not" on steam. Whatever you think,no matter how netural you are, the answer is just 

"yes or no".

Your specific comments should be shared in the comments section.

32 minutes ago, NOOOBU said:

you can check my last thread, about profit-making.

Whatever you think, the final situation is just yes or no. You can only just pay or not.

Just like "Do you recommend this game? yes or not" on steam. Whatever you think,no matter how netural you are, the answer is just 

"YES or NO".

Your specific comments should be shared in the comments section.

I don't think it's necessary to provide the first option.

People who don't obey the rules don't care whether Klei has a monetization policy.

Even if Klei has some ways to prevent illegal monetization, Klei just doesn't have enough energy to do it.

tbh it's a slippery slope. I assume that op is talking about Myth worlds and, iirc, they monetize skins and I think in game items similar to pay-to-win games. 

I personally do not mind if its in small batches; If only some mods have it and it's for cosmetics or other things that aren't 100% necessary, that's fine.

But it is really concerning if it ends up being something that any mod can do and can monetize it in any way. Imagine if mods like geometric placement had a 2 dollar entry fee or even a monthly subscription. Now imagine if every mod on the workshop had that. Wouldn't help the fact that you got copy-cat mods on the workshop, leading into problems like copy-right and all that nonsense that i'm sure no one wants to deal with.

saying it right now though the very moment forged forge has a paywall i'm gonna uninstall DST 

imo its a very big, very gray area and it can't be any other color...  A moder's work, no matter what quality, is intrinsically based on another company's work and IP.  An IP for which the moder does not own the rights.  Yet moding can take serious time, and serious skill.  There are many niche markets that can be served by moders where the original work might not catch them, but being tied to the original work prevents it from *ever* justifying its own price tag.

I would advise anyone who wants to get into the business of making mods for profit to just look at making their own game.  Either by somehow incorporating themselves with a gaming company, or just going at it alone 100%.  Many indy games and companies exist today because a single person, or small group decided to strike out and make an awesome game of their own.  This is literally the story of Klei.  This is the only way to really step into the light.

If you don't wanna go all the way - the best you can fairly do is ask for donations as a content creator unhitched from any "product" you make.

3 minutes ago, Random Guy000 said:

Cant someone just mod the mod so everything would be free and mod creators wouldnt be able to do anything about it cuz they arent suppose to get profit in the first place?

Depends on how they distribute their mod code.  A lot of this is server mod stuff and they host the servers their fan base play on.  I'd guess the server code isn't published on steam workshop XD

Paywalls on mods is absolutely no-go. No way will I support having to buy mods or pay to use content within mods.

I'm not against people being paid for their work, though. Donation pages and possibly other outside ways of letting the community pay and thank the mod makers for their honest and hard work is absolutely something I appreciate and look forward to! Nothing wrong with wanting to earn a bit for the effort you're putting in. 

It's when content is locked off, a red flag goes up. Especially when the TOS you agree to states you shouldn't attempt such things in the first place.

Having people pay you for mods to a game you don't own is pretty much stealing.

No matter how good your mods is you're riding on the hard work of the developers who built the foundation of that game and you are exploiting that. Then you are pocketing that money all to yourself and not compensating for that foundation, so yeah stealing. 

No gray area there, just pure theft. 

Donations are a different matter, people are then showing appreciation and not paying for the content.

Archived