Terrarium spawning mechanic is bad and encourages misuse

As it is now, people are just hoarding the Terrarium and using it every night even if no one is prepared. it spawns on day 1 characters which just dooms them to die early.

Terrarium should cause the boss to spawn at a random person NEAR the terrarium.

In Terraria the summoning item makes a boss appear at the person who summoned it - same principle should apply here in DST.

It spawns on a randomly chosen player apparently to feel like the Terraria versions, idk.. I personally think whoever summons it should be left to deal with it.

BUT I keep pointing this out a hundred billion times- Why not have our cake and eat it too?

World Gen Toggles are your best friend..

Add extra settings “Spawns on Random Player” or “Only Spawns at Terrarium”

Boom.. no need to patch something some people may actually enjoy.

45 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

That's not the case already? That doesn't make sense

nope, it spawns on a random person on the overworld server.

The Eye in Terraria has 2 ways of spawning, you either random get it to appear at night, and it will spawn on a random person above ground, or you can summon it - and it will always appear on the person who summoned it

Clearly in DST there is someone summoning the Eye, but it doesnt appear at the summoner. So what happens is people who are woefully unprepared and didn't even ask for the fight are having the boss spawn on them.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It spawns on a randomly chosen player apparently to feel like the Terraria versions, idk.. I personally think whoever summons it should be left to deal with it.

BUT I keep pointing this out a hundred billion times- Why not have our cake and eat it too?

World Gen Toggles are your best friend..

In what situation would someone want it to spawn on someone who isn't near the Terrarium other than intending to grief someone who isn't expecting a boss to start fighting them?

39 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

In what situation would someone want it to spawn on someone who isn't near the Terrarium other than intending to grief someone who isn't expecting a boss to start fighting them?

When your playing with a group of friends and genuinely enjoy the added challenge of the boss dropping in on any given one of you.

Yes I feel sorry for people on PC or PS4 having to suffer with this thing in public or dedicated worlds but on Xbox as I’ve stated time and time again- we only have worlds hosted directly BY the player.

And because of such- I actually encounter their seemingly randomly selected world Gen settings on near about a daily basis upon joining someone else’s hosted world.

These worlds have been everything from 24/7 summer, to endless night with insanity monsters toggled to tons.

The Terrarium should probably if I’m being honest about be disabled completely by default and have two different toggle choices for when it’s on “choose random player to ease drop in on, or only spawn on the terrarium itself”

That obviously needs to be fixed, however that is absolutely hilarious. Imagine a server with 8 people, 4 of which are in a group and the other 4 are just wandering around solo. The group of 4 wants to fight the boss but there is a 50% chance it will just spawn on some random guy halfway across the map and just absolutely ruin his night. 

The thought of some fresh-install base skin Wilson cooking carrots over a fire, when all of a sudden the sky opens up and an eye comes out of it, just mercs him, and flies away is absolutely hilarious to me.

It's ironic how same strat people use in PVP Terraria to kill off players .. Is now also used in DST to kill off players xD

(Using bosses to kill off other players is common thing in free for all PVP in Terraria)

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

imaging be prepared for the fight and the boss spawning miles away on a starving wilson wearing a garland xD

You just described my last play session. I'm the one who has been touching the damn terrarium 12 nights in a row but sure go spawn on that day 1 Wilson (poor fella was new, hope they won't drop the game because of that traumatic experience)

4 minutes ago, Geo95 said:

hope they won't drop the game because of that traumatic experience

that is something klei should have take into consideration

the game is already so cryptic to add a random boss spawning next to a noob "for no reason". It can be fun and open strategies in private servers but in pubs it only adds more chaos

it would be nice if klei change so the boss spawn by default but let the live spawn mechanic version as setting for those who wanna mess with it

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Who exactly is enjoying it?

The person trying to fight the eye doesn't get to fight it.

The person trying to go about their business without being interrupted by a murderous eye is interrupted and potentially killed.

Who would enjoy that? 

There's no need to add a world setting for something that makes no sense, Michael. 

4 minutes ago, HumanBean150 said:

Who exactly is enjoying it?

The person trying to fight the eye doesn't get to fight it.

The person trying to go about their business without being interrupted by a murderous eye is interrupted and potentially killed.

Who would enjoy that? 

There's no need to add a world setting for something that makes no sense, Michael. 

I see using it with the boys. In early you wanna split to explore so can spice a little if each of us knows that there is a change of having to fight and, since it normaly took more than 1 early game nights, more than one of us might fight it

or in pvp servers to add another way to piss other players

3 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

That obviously needs to be fixed, however that is absolutely hilarious. Imagine a server with 8 people, 4 of which are in a group and the other 4 are just wandering around solo. The group of 4 wants to fight the boss but there is a 50% chance it will just spawn on some random guy halfway across the map and just absolutely ruin his night. 

The thought of some fresh-install base skin Wilson cooking carrots over a fire, when all of a sudden the sky opens up and an eye comes out of it, just mercs him, and flies away is absolutely hilarious to me.

Oh my God there needs to be an "Absolutely Horrified" reaction, what is that new profile picture you have?

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Oh my God there needs to be an "Absolutely Horrified" reaction, what is that new profile picture you have?

Off topic, but I was playing Binding of Isaac and I picked up an item that made my character look like that, so I put the face on Warly

Spoiler

HeANGY.PNG

Archived