Achievements in the game

On 11/19/2021 at 2:06 AM, Coronel Ghadler said:

Achievements would be interesting and all the more reason to play the game. Some people like to have all the achievements.

I personally think steam achievements would be better than in game ones. 

On 11/22/2021 at 12:56 PM, QuartzBeam said:

The Don't Starve beta would like to have a talk with you.

dont starve beta and the steam achivements they are talking about is really different 

iirc what i read dont starve had something like "get 4 logs" and it wasnt about the whole game you had to do it in every world you made and problem with it that it was blocking creativity

steam achivements are whole different world 

lets say some achivement says kill dragonfly 

its not as obvious as getting 20 rocks or 2 golds or something you gotta think about what to do and find the dragonfly even

also you can have secret achivements that does not tell you what to do and it forces you to explore more

unlike dont starve beta achivements 

saying get 4 logs is blocking creativity in the game no sh*t

but the achivements OP and im talking about is really really different 

you might still argue that people will cheat to get the achivements but thats still fixable 

just have line of code that checks if the console was used in a server or not

or it was modified or not

that fixes the issue doesnt it

22 hours ago, HellHeater said:

Steam achievements can be locked and unlocked at will via an external program called Steam Achievement Manager.

Maybe it could be resolved if the achievements were in-game like the Forge and Gorge, but I'm sure someone out there could figure out a way to unlock them all via the lua.

I'm still for the idea of steam achievements in the game. It would help people realize there is more content to the game than what they initially knew about, since I'm guessing most players rarely get past Winter, let alone kill all the bosses.

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Steam achievements can be locked and unlocked at will via an external program called Steam Achievement Manager.

Maybe it could be resolved if the achievements were in-game like the Forge and Gorge, but I'm sure someone out there could figure out a way to unlock them all via the lua.

I'm still for the idea of steam achievements in the game. It would help people realize there is more content to the game than what they initially knew about, since I'm guessing most players rarely get past Winter, let alone kill all the bosses.

forgot to mension 

yes eventually someone will cheat in the achivements but its only their problem

you will not get skins or money out of those all is for a sense of accomplishment and if someone cheats they will only be lying to themselves and they will eventually feel guilty about it since you cant reset the achivements and do them again making them never be able to feel the accomplishment

"that fixes the issue doesnt it" :D

To add to this conversation the console version of DST actually does have achievements those can be found here:

These have indirectly helped players learn how to build all the structures listed, that they can recruit Pig & Rock followers, that they can repair items with sewing kits, that somewhere in the world there’s a very low % chance of having a cool Helmet & Body Armor dropped from a Snurtle & you need to wear BOTH at the same time..

Achievements are a way of guiding a player without direct hand holding.. and speaking strictly as an Xbox player: The Xbox community are crazy over Achievements- they will actively go out of their way to boost their gamer score, and a game with easy to do achievements would be on their radar.

Unfortunately… those same type of “Achievement Hunters” probably only play long enough to 100% all the games available Achievements & then move on to their next game… but my point was that- At least they’re playing long enough to do that.

Sadly, that's a flawed idea. The workshop would be full of mods to unlock everything on the same day the update drops. Of course not everyone would use them, but that's still a situation you want to avoid.

Even if everything was handled outside of Lua (unlike consoles), people would just forge the conditions instead. The only reason it works on consoles is because you can't have mods there (or at least it's very inconvenient to install them)

10 hours ago, Tykvesh said:

Sadly, that's a flawed idea. The workshop would be full of mods to unlock everything on the same day the update drops

so? steam achievements desnt give anything. If someone wants to cheat a trophy good for them and their lack of selfimprovement but can be good for people who doesnt know about the game

but just for that, not achiviements that forces you to do stupid stuff. Just things like "tame a beefalo", "activate archives", "kill X boss",etc

On 12/8/2021 at 8:55 PM, HellHeater said:

also you can have secret achivements that does not tell you what to do and it forces you to explore more

yes, ONLY have hidden achivements, that way you dont know what to do to get them

On 11/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, Coronel Ghadler said:

Achievements would be interesting and all the more reason to play the game. Some people like to have all the achievements.

If we get collectibles for them heck yes. They would be tied to your account but could be gotten again after some time, say maybe a week.

Stuff like making a science machine or Alchemy engine. Getting through Winter. The reward would be tied to the difficulty.

On 12/9/2021 at 3:44 PM, lakhnish said:

About that, it's not in all games that it works. Some games block this program, it can't unlock in all games. Only in games that don't care.

Achievements would be useful and interesting for many things, it serves as a bit of a path and tutorial for some players, and it's also more of an objective and reason to play the game. Also I know some people who only play because they like to complete achievements, they are good for many things, she completes the game

On 11/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, Coronel Ghadler said:

Why ? since they don't interfere at all, whether the person likes it or not, it won't change anything

Its optional

If achievements don't change anything why suggest they be added?

Archived