So whats up with the Ancient Guardian?

3 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

about how he found the Codex Umbra

I'm trying not to get my hopes high, but the Wolfgang short might answer that. The circus my boi was (presumably) working for was travelling with the same train Maxwell was travelling just before he found Codex Umbra.

30 minutes ago, mr. brj said:

I'm trying not to get my hopes high, but the Wolfgang short might answer that. The circus my boi was (presumably) working for was travelling with the same train Maxwell was travelling just before he found Codex Umbra.

Would be weird to have Wolfgang short to feature Maxwell in any mayor way, besides it seems the two never met until DST. 

I'm guessing Maxwell didn't just arrive at The Constant and take The throne. He and Charlie roamed the wilderness and exploring ruins like the survivors.

So Maxwell's quote about the muarl in the atrium is that Charles is trying to bring him back here.

1 minute ago, Cassielu said:

I'm guessing Maxwell didn't just arrive at The Constant and take The throne. He and Charlie roamed the wilderness and exploring ruins like the survivors.

So Maxwell's quote about the muarl in the atrium is that Charles is trying to bring him back here.

4BF1E7DBA47FD9690DDE07DCEC39FEDE.gif

6 hours ago, Cassielu said:

But when you see Maxwell at the end of adventure mode, he says, "There wasn't much here when I showed up. Just dust. And the Void. And Them." Makes me suspect that when Maxwell first arrived, there was no wilderness, and then it came into being after he was put on the throne, whether he created it himself, or They used him to create it, or whatever else might have happened. And any knowledge that he had of the wilderness and the ruins and everything was either magically bestowed upon him, or he learned it while projecting himself around the world, like how he shows up to talk to the player at the beginning of each level of adventure mode.

But, heck, he's Maxwell, he lies all the time, and he purposely makes vague, mysterious statements to confuse and/or intrigue people, maybe none of what he says can be believed.

Could he potentially be another ancient bug? Potentially someone important, but not important enough to mention him in lore signs.His house (counting the walls in his arena) was bigger then ones, also it was protected with labyrinth (also it could be a prison), unlike other places in ruins labyrinth is the only place where shadow fuel don't affect everything that much.Could he be the one who survived the shadow fuel?He transformed into a monster, but survived, maybe the same would happen to other from ancient civilization if not death.

I think the most likely theory is that the Ancient Guardian was already there when Maxwell and Charlie arrived, some type of beast the ancients tamed in their day and the sole survivor of their civilization. Max likely encountered him in the ruins before taking the throne, and modelled the clockwork rooks on him afterwards.

I believe we shouldn't read too much into Maxwell claiming there was nothing but dust when he arrived. Assuming the ancient civilization pre-dates him, at the very least there were berry bushes, birds, carrots and evergreens. Merms as well are confirmed to pre-date humans, which implies the swamp already existed. But Max *is* responsible for a lot of the more unusual creations: I think the hybrids and living puns and sapient animals were all his doing until Charlie took over.

The ancient guardian might be the only still-living creature older than Max in the constant, so calling him "old friend" might be out of respect for how long he's known the creature.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:12 PM, kiwikenobi said:

"There wasn't much here when I showed up. Just dust. And the Void. And Them."

With the lore we've gotten since then, I assume Max's quote about there being nothing when he got there but dust and void to be in reference to the Throne Room itself.

There were some allusions in the Metheus puzzle to a throne that one of the Ancients sat on with a shadowy crown emblem over the head, after They broke through and ruined the civilization. The same Ancient was the one who used the Staff, 'controlling' the Fuel (or so they seemed to think).
Seems sensible that the Throne Room is the ruined, shadow enveloped throne room of that Ancient; his abuse of the Fuel likely turned his seat of power into a beacon for Them to gather.

Eons pass by, spent under the influence of the shadows, with no puppet to string about.
Dust and void being all that remains sounds about right.

Questions and speculations

1,The origin of those clockwork creatures

Maybe it's an imitation of the guardian made by the ancients

2,Why are the drops of the guardian treasure chests and other items

:Just like the dragonfly (dragon) collects gems, killing it will not only drop his body, but also its collections.Treasure chests and other items can be seen as hidden by the guardian

According to the lines of the Shadow Weaver, it can be inferred that the Guardian is in the maze. There are a lot of treasure chests in the maze because they don’t want to be easily found(or found) by latecomers

3,There will be a shadow animation when the guardian is killed

:Like statues and other objects, this is a sign of being corroded by shadows

4,Although it is far-fetched, there is no other creature that can correspond to it. The one in the middle of the 3 eyes may be the rhino horn

411424010_QQ20211118161059.png.ae5b4083cd7d6f24eb468a4987137f3a.png

That is, the ancients used the ability of shadows to combine other creatures to form a new creature

Archived