New hot asteroid - no Reed Fiber

Hi guys,

I am just playing on the new hot asteroid (whatever it is called) and there is no way for me to create atmo suits - there is no reed fiber on my asteroid or the one connected via teleport. There are no plants to harvest it and no drekos to produce it :(

I could try to build a rocket and look for it on another asteroid but with no atmo suits this would be tricky.

seed: M-FLIP-C-332720493-0

14 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

As far as I understand, this is part of the challenge in the new cluster type - use oxygen masks until you find a way to make atmosuits! You did pick one of the most challenging starting option!

Exactly. This one is probably the hardest at the moment. 

I am currently playing M-RAD-C-1693098928-8VW3 and it has the same challenge. Additionally, you cannot map nearest asteroid with telescope - it is outside the range. It would be possible from the tele-connected asteroid, but... it is the flipped one, so no clear sky :D I've managed to eventually steal few drecos from the space with some extreme oxygen masks juggling.

I ran into the same issue, and ended up getting around it by using lead suits instead of atmo suits; the athletics penalty is worse by 2, and they stations are bulky as all get-out, but I was able to have the dupe wear the suit onto the rocket, manually unequip it for the flight, then manually equip it again before sending them down with a lander (onto the swampy asteroid, so I could finally get some reed fibers and gold amalgam).

Oh! I also found an atmosuit by rummaging the crashed satellite (it was on my starting asteroid on my playthrough), but no materials to repair it once it wore out, so you have to make it count (I fully did not, thus the lead suit thing).

I think moonlet clusters are meant for challenges to us.

My current colony is on radioactive ocean and teleported to flipped volcano. Also no reeds or drekos on both asteroids. I found Drekos in third (rocky oil) asteroid (3 tiles away) and reeds in fourth (metal swamp) asteroid (4 tiles away). I use rovers to create some (polluted) oxygen pockets before my rockets land on the asteroid.

14 hours ago, DolphinWing said:

Obviously. Also, a lot of people were calling for such a challenge by claiming the game was too easy. So there is the challenge. I see nothing wrong here. Making access to exo-suits hard to get is perfectly fine.

4 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I just looked at M-FLIP-C-332720493-0 (before today's update). It has a drecko on the top, left side on the teleport target, aged 62 cycles. I am not sure whether it will freeze to death long-term though.

Is there? I have just recreated the world and there is nothing there in the teleport target asteroid (sandbox mode - spaced out latest patch)

image.thumb.png.86d270c65dec4773125e330f0b563b28.png

That screenshot is before the last beta patch. I had a drecko in the chlorine on the top. I did roll back to the last non-beta and it does not have the drecko. Hence I think what you see is a bug that is fixed in beta.

Incidentally, the last beta patch changed the world-gen and there are now two dreckos in that upper left area:

001.thumb.png.7dc2b423d24074c1f011f4b5a5e8db4b.png

well so far I was able to live without the fiber - I was even able to start producing petroleum from an oil well but things get tricky when the gas is let out (too hot). Perhaps I wil find a drecko on other asteroinds in the future.

On 11/16/2021 at 3:43 AM, DolphinWing said:

My current colony is on radioactive ocean and teleported to flipped volcano. Also no reeds or drekos on both asteroids. I found Drekos in third (rocky oil) asteroid (3 tiles away) and reeds in fourth (metal swamp) asteroid (4 tiles away). I use rovers to create some (polluted) oxygen pockets before my rockets land on the asteroid.

Almost same situation except I had metal swamp as third asteroid and rocky oil as fourth.

My actions and reactions:

1.OMG there's no reed fiber, and there's no plastic (meaning there was no timble reed or dreckos or oil biome), there must be something on the second asteroid. I saved the game and went to check it quickly, in two cycles scouted all asteroid, did not find any clues on timble reed, drecko and oil deal... Reloaded and decided.

2. This is a challenge for venturing out in space with no atmosuits as  early as possible to find dreckos.

And so I did go to space with no atmosuits, no oxygen masks, no lead suits or whatever, just holding breath. Oh and counting every kg of metal because you know there is not much metal on tide pool biome. I even used some uranium ore just to build necessary rocket parts...

3. In third asteroid I send rover to make some pocket of air with PD offgassing and afterwards orbital Cargo and trailblazer module, with one dupe. And she (her name was Marie) without any equipment survived 5 cycles on new asteroid and managed to build her self a bed a toilet with no wash basin, because there was no clean water around, was foraging for food, and above all this she was running through all asteroid on the surface holding her breath making up to 10 runs to unpack cargo droped from orbit and to carry it to rocket launch pad, but she made it, and in first rocket landing on new asteroid I got timble reed seeds and mined lot's of cobalt and gold amalgam. But still no drecko and no oil, meaning no plastic, meaning no turbines, meaning no heat removal... Although orbiting this asteroid I found another just one tile from it. And it should have dreckos and oil.

4. It took a while to build many things which I did not before because I didn't had enough metal. And heat was becoming a problem, so went that far to build aquatuner to produce steam and made steam engine rockets (a very nice alternative of turbines when you don't have plastic). Also as you understand without plastic my research was capped at some level. But to new asteroid I traveled with 2 steam rockets running electrolyzers for oxygen production and 4 trailblazer modules and already with atmosuits, and in few cycle I got some drecko, found some lead and oil, builded oxygen production and safely went back home.

Meanwhile thinking about using steam rockets to clean/produce water and power and already starting to shear some plastic from my newest glossy drecko morph.

So in conclusion it is challenging start, but it is way more fun, interesting and entertaining than finding all you need on home planet.

Becoming sustainable on this one is also challenging, you will have to advance to the 2nd planet very early, or be extremely minimalist, or accept that your crops will stifle on the first planet when you shift to electrolysis. So then the accessible food sources that can last until you get some kind of central cooling going are like, hatch ranching, or waterweed.

I'm finding it actually somewhat challenging to stabilize in the midgame.

But that's the fun. It's a puzzle.

The lack of reed fiber and plastic makes the game more challenging and interesting. There’s a reason these clusters are described as more difficult.

Klei should probably also remove the rust from the radioactive biome of the radioactive ocean starting moonlet. It seems pretty clear that you aren’t supposed to be able to make steel until you get to another moonlet via rocket but you can do it anyway by deoxidizing the rust.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, helium3 said:

Klei should probably also remove the rust from the radioactive biome of the radioactive ocean starting moonlet. It seems pretty clear that you aren’t supposed to be able to make steel until you get to another moonlet via rocket but you can do it anyway by deoxidizing the rust.

Don't agree with that without that small amount of rust it would be extremely hard to start... As people noticed only food sources are hatches and waterweed, and to farm hatches effectively you need lots of metal for setup. Until I landed on second asteroid I did used almost all my metal including wolframite and uranium and even depleted uranium for automations, and mining every bit of aliuminium and rust to make iron ore, just to build rocket launch pad and having 800 more to build one on second asteroid... I was even deconstructing lots of things just to complete rocket and get to new asteroid... And all of this while not having gold amalgam, reed fiber or plastic, without that rust in radioactive biome it would be hardly possible at all...

9 hours ago, helium3 said:

Yeah. It was definitely a difficult start. Which is what I liked about it. Getting to the third asteroid is definitely do-able without steel though.

Without steel - yes - of course, but without rust? It is not about steel it is about additional source of metal those maybe 10 tons (although it was less, I was even taking care packages with any metal or rust) of rust was life saving. And making it to steel provides a little more metal, say you have 7,5 tons of iron, so you can make 10 tons of steel. Although I was using iron ore and refined iron for basic buildings, which I later rebuilded from other metals to free up iron... I do imagine that even without that rust it still be possible, but will require to dig out all metal on starting asteroid - meaning - mining uranium loosing 50% mass instead of letting beetas mine and convert it loosing only 10% mass... Although I dug out lots of uranium, and build several rocket modules out of it, also building mesh tiles, liquid reservoirs, ethanol distiler and many other things from uranium...

In conclusion I don't understand why having a little bit of rust can be considered too good to have on that map...

Errrrrr, there’s an enormous amount of copper ore on the other side of the warp conduit. I actually swapped out stuff I’d built with aluminum ore for copper ore as I wasn’t sure when I was going to have another source for refined aluminum.

My point is that it seemed like the radioactive ocean cluster was designed to force you to go to another moonlet to get access to steel and plastic, but the presence of the rust in the radioactive biome allows a player to circumvent the steel part of it. So if the intent described above is correct, the rust should be removed. If the intent described above is not correct, the presence of the rust isn’t problematic and is a way for clever players to get access to steel before they start sending out rockets.

Archived