Tips for a proper megabase?

So as many of you know, I am a builder in DST. I specialize in making shrines and arenas, but I've always struggled with the traditional megabase style, which has lead me to lose interest in many worlds after making a shrine/arena for everything. Anyone have any tips for me to improve on making a traditional megabase format like what's often seen on youtube? I'd like to get back in to DST but whenever I try to start a new megabase world I can't get into it, and I also don't have any new ideas for my preexisting worlds.

im not experience in megabasing but what i do is making big areas for each zone/farm/station/boss arena/whatever and decorate each of them with things that fit thematically (bee queen arena with flowers, statues, pots, etc // a dock with nautical and wooden things, etc you know better than me) and then i like all with roads, if there is empty spots near the areas i just fill them with little set pieces or berrybushes to make them look nice

but other than that, i see megabases as regular bases but in a bigger scale and with useless stuff arround to make them look better

also, turfing before doing placing anything is the key to make things easier

practice building kinda like 'city blocks' or base blocks we can call. Look out for other people's buildings and references and take some ideas to learn them to make own stuffs. 

Have a base center where you'll have all your commodities close enough to craft and do work with, essentials should be close similarly like when building a superbase.

Prepare on chopping thousands of pines and farm stone fruits to have a reliable stone farm, will be super useful long term.

Take regular breaks and try focusing on one task well enough and have some fun by raiding ruins or killing bosses as for fighting for resources.

Plan out your roads well cause you'll be building a LOT of them.

I recommend trying to build your base in several smaller sections, one at a time. Building shrines and arenas is pretty much perfect for this: You could build several smaller shrines with different styles and objects within them to make up a whole base. And as you keep building you might pick up on a few other aspects of megabasing which can be seen in a lot of people's megabases, such as true asymmetric building or unconventional decor.

Most important though is to just try yourself out some more, you'll absolutely reach that megabase vibe as you continue building on things over time. 

1 hour ago, ZeeDragon said:

Rolled out thin, with careful bits of bacon and beans dumped on it. And a final garnish of spicy potatoes, made in the deep depths of an ancient temple.

I was going to write "make a proper normal base, get a watering can and soak it generously" but your tip is even better.

Once you get your map explored it's probably a good idea to start planning out how you want your base to be laid out. This will give you a more solid idea of what you're trying to work towards and allow you to focus on working towards that! Instead of dedicating yourself to fifty different projects at once.

Also dedicate an area to farming wood, you're going to need a lot. 

The pitchfork is your best friend.

Start digging turf for where you would put roads and spaces for an area, then use the roads to help branch off/lead to a different area, this will also allow you to get an idea how spread things are and therefore also how mega your megabase will be. There's a very nice qol mod called action queue reborn, it has the option of pressing f3 to mark a large field of tiles, this can help with planning where you want things to go. It also works out in the ocean.

Archived