Lets talk about Sanity.

3 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Anyone claiming sanity isn't relevant until it drops very low has not truly endured the agonizing torment of Wavey Jones even at very high sanity 

that's what we wanted and klei did it. Adding more things, especially new nightmare creatures! So, insanity needs more.

2 hours ago, Starlogy said:

TBH, Sanity is in a good spot now that you can't keep shadow creatures deloaded.

I'd be down for making it visually creepier though.

I wouldn’t mind new and harder insanity creatures (Wendy’s one real downside) but they would of course have to be offered up under a different mode, or in a new biome exclusive for them to spawn, through some in game mission you need to complete to activate them or with optional toggles to have the new Sanity stuff activated or not.

My over-all concern with EVERY POST I Make is being able to play and enjoy this game with people of Varying Skill levels.. personally I enjoy harder stuff like random weather seasons actually being Random.. BUT-

Sometimes I need to set the game to Autumn only 24/7 day only with no hound waves or insanity creatures to enjoy the game with my less skilled friends & family.

Its because I quite literally have to constantly ramp up or scale down the games difficulty to play with people in my friends list: That I advocate so strongly for these menus of toggles to be taken far more seriously.

But simply turning Off insanity monsters because new ones are added to the game isn’t the right answer, your stripping people who enjoy how the mechanic works now of being able to continue to enjoy the feature.

What would actually need to happen to pull it off properly: is for each “Type” of Newly introduced Sanity Creature or Effect to have their own individual toggle options.

Thats a lot of work and programming on Klei’s Behalf: BUT- now that you can exit your worlds at any time and change those settings then re-launch your world….

Im pretty sure the feature needs to not be as dismissed as you guys feel it should be.

Lets say Klei adds new sanity monsters like well uhh like This Guy:

44CEC11F-11B2-4CDE-8F82-05DFABE7565F.thumb.png.a4d69a6305a4d2df3fd3a4916013efd3.png

I posted this image in Maxwell Memes ages ago.. but that is an actual scrapped mob from Klei’s own designs I changed its colors  and guessed up random abilities to give it… but can you imagine if something like this was actually added to the game?

He would need his own individual toggle option.. rather then just having ALL Sanity monsters toggled through turning Sanity On/Off.

I don’t realistically see Slipstor ever being added to the game (I mean it was scrapped for a reason right?) But… If Klei is reading these threads and asking themselves how do we rework sanity and make it different without also making it too hard on players struggle with how it works now-

Having more Options can never hurt right?

I think we could make existing shadow creatures more interesting rather than rush to add more.

Maybe at lower sanity, killing Crawling Horrors drops nightmare fuel mimics that turn into tiny, hostile shadow (larvae?) blobs. Maybe Terrorbeaks predict insane players' movements and appear like a beartrap from the ground to ensnare them.

As is, sanity is a stat that spawns annoying, persistent enemies. But one thing I was always puzzled by was how insane some characters felt, yet it had no effect on their psyche or made them more sane - stuff like Willow's pyromania, Wigfrid's valkyrie persona, or Woodie chopping trees with his personified talking axe.

When these characters go insane, their gameplay should be affected in some way in relation to their quirks. These don't have to cripple and frustrate players, but make insanity more interesting by affecting some gameplay outside of combat - maybe Willow will always turn any food she cooks on a fire into charcoal. Wigfrid aggros all neutral enemies like Pigs towards her, Woodie hungers for logs and sticks/or is only willing to eat while holding Lucy, and so on.

ya know, I think it's just fine. The sanity creatures dont need much changing (Already challenging enough) changing clothes just sounds.... Bad.

Changing around the world would be cool, but I feel like it would not be needed, UNLESS, it changes something drastic. 

We live in a constantety

Ideally, I think insanity should feel like pulling back the curtain and seeing the constant as it truly is. Fitting in with Don't Starve's Lovecraftian roots: sanity is a comforting, shadow-thin delusion that the characters cling to in order to protect themselves from the horrifying truth.

The beardlings and beardlords fit in really well with this idea. They don't change their behavior (apart from drops), but when you're low on sanity you see them as they truly are. 

So yeah, I totally support some creepy alternate skins for common mobs and vegetation. Give us a glimpse of what the constant *actually* looks like.

Archived