[Poll] On Future DST Development

Poll Tite  

94 members have voted

1. 1. After the October surprise, the QoL Update and Wolfgang's rework, what kind of content do you want Klei to deliver?

• A big refresh to existing, yet outdated mechanics or items.
    • Another playable character.
    • An update continuing after Return of Them's storyline.
    • An update containing a new biome.
    • Another character refresh.
    • A refresh for a character that has already been previously refreshed.
    • Another QoL update.
    • An entirely new game mechanic that may or may not affect the normal gameplay loop.
    • A new event.
    • Other (please do mention in the comments.)
  2. 2. Do you feel that the current development direction of Don't Starve Together enriches the playerbase's enjoyment of it as a whole?

3. 3. What do you think Don't Starve Together's future development should focus on the most?

• New and Improved Aesthetics
    • Smoother Game Mechanics
    • A better Multiplayer experience
    • Increased Game Difficulty
    • Decreased Game Difficulty
    • Other (please do mention in the comments.)

On 9/21/2021 at 3:14 PM, JoeW said:

I think what some of you are feeling is a bit of fatigue from our current content/refresh/new character schedule. Which, I think we're all feeling a bit. 

We're have a plan for after our current roadmap - but right now we have some promises to keep on our schedule, and then we'll talk a bit more about what's next. 

After they finish what's on schedule it will be a good time for the devs to take a step back and reflect on all the content thus far. What went well and what could be improved upon (regarding development). 

As a fan I think I will respectfully hold back any expectations until Klei mentions how they want to approach future content. I don't want them to feel fatigued with another cycle of predictable updates as that will surely affect quality. 

To be 100% honest I’m slightly confused about something JoeW said the other day about people (and Devs alike) being fatigued with the current content schedule (game update, Character rework, QoL update, Events, New DLC Character)

I mean when you stop doing all of that: Which has included new biomes, new mobs, new Craftable items, new boss fights, and gameplay mechanics, new character abilities for pre-existing characters (Wes) new characters with new abilities (Wanda) Midsummers Cawnival & upcoming after the December Wolfgang rework, Year of the Tiger, when you stop doing all that-

What other kind of updates can possibly even be left?? Maybe they’re planning to add some new game mode with a battle pass system, I honestly haven’t got a CLUE what kind of riddles Joe was feeding us- but we’re Not going to find out until sometime next year when they’re ready to talk about it either.

16 minutes ago, Cunning fox said:

I really think that Klei should focus on updates that add permanent content, instead of creating "year of the thing" events, that adds content accessible only once a year

But they need to focus once. For that are events so there is something "new" without wasting a lot of time

33 minutes ago, Cunning fox said:

That once still costs team time that could've been spent adding permanent content though

How much winter feast events we have had until today? Isnt that hard to understand: 1 month working = resuable event for years

And meanwhile the even is On did you know what? They have time to work in content updates for longer instead of having to release something each month (later people complain about trouble waters update level)

I've said this before, but I hope they hard focus on reworks until they are done. A little over 6 months from now will be 3 years since Winona's rework. If they go at the pace they have been we might get another rework before that, after Wolfgang's. Best case scenario, that's 3 reworks per year meaning they won't be done with them until 2023

image.png.6eb7bd0df33058ca4db435645014f474.png
i mean you may or may not know it alredy what new character i would like to see but if you dont know a lizard of course what you expect?

an update to continuing the things after the moon guardian
could alsol be in someway alsol have a new biom

i mean im sure they were talkin about 3 character refresh this year or not? we only got 2 webber and wolfgang so everything goes but i dont think someone alredy reworked will get more reworked before taht i think everyone will get there own update first

What I would like is for Klei to release much bigger content updates in a wider time frame.

Imo updates like Water-logged would be more interesting if 2 other similar sized things were added to the game with it. This gives the Devs more time to tune the updates, as well as see new ways for this content to interact with each other. Personally I think updates like troubled water wouldn't have felt so empty if they were with other updates of the same size.

Of course this runs into the issue of updates like Forgotten Knowledge and Eye of the Storm to seem much smaller. (but tbf Eye of the storm could have used more content to begin with)

I agree with the whole less events thing, They're often pretty boring, and as I've said before, I like DST as a survival game, and these updates always disappoint me. 

TL,DR 

Bigger updates in a larger time frame, less events

38 minutes ago, Erineyes7 said:

Bigger updates in a larger time frame, less events

I must confess that until now i barely touched any ocean content because how boring it looks when a new update is released and there's just one tiny new whatever on ocean, I don't feel like even taking a look using console commands. But if it was a bigger update otherwise, like everything we had until now (which isn't much too...), I would be for sure hyped to explore it even if it's not that good in practice.

I don't know if it would bring financial problems, scare players away by lack of new content or anything but I think half-content is far more frustrating than waiting longer for a huge new update, which is more rewarding. And i think Klei handles it well with new skins, drops and seasonal events.

2 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

An update to continuing the things after the moon guardian

I just hope that i don't need to finish this frequent questline of killing every single boss in the game every single time to enjoy the new content, I barely can clean the ruins even less kill the final boss :concern:

But it would be cool if that triggers a new DLC-like content, it could be explained like the Forge event is explained in a animated short so everyone could play without killing the Fuelweaver, come on there's a portal in the archives, let us go to the moon!

10 hours ago, Cunning fox said:

I really think that Klei should focus on updates that add permanent content, instead of creating "year of the thing" events, that adds content accessible only once a year

You are wrong my friend (I say this in the politest way possible) these events are no longer limited time AT ALL you can now thanks to a previous QoL update: Return back to those old events, so even “limited time content” is now PERMANENTLY ACCESSIBLE.

The only events that Are Not like this (but I hope someday may be added as well) are Gorge & Forge- But Klei has stated time and time again that BOTH of those used a different game engine and were Technically their OWN Games.. so when people ask for those events to return- really what they’re asking Klei to do is stop making content for DST and create content for a different game altogether..

Year of the events, Hallowed Nights, Winters Feast & Midsummers Cawnival can all be turned back on at any time you feel like playing them so those actually ARE now permanent game content.

7 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

image.png.6eb7bd0df33058ca4db435645014f474.png
i mean you may or may not know it alredy what new character i would like to see but if you dont know a lizard of course what you expect?

an update to continuing the things after the moon guardian
could alsol be in someway alsol have a new biom

i mean im sure they were talkin about 3 character refresh this year or not? we only got 2 webber and wolfgang so everything goes but i dont think someone alredy reworked will get more reworked before taht i think everyone will get there own update

We got the wes refresh tho

Archived