There's really no excuse not to buff lazy deserter now.

This isn't really a suggestion per se, as it's something I'm sure has been brought up nay times before, but with the introduction of wanda, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to just tp to and from deserters, whether by desert stone or just between 2 existing deserters. Wanda's clocks may require thulecite, but they also don't require any boss kills, while deserters will either need 2 boss kills (dfly + antlion), or also going to ruins for orange gems, and they also have the advantage of being inter-rift, easily repositionable, and not having insane sanity drain. Not to mention they're far from her only perk. There's no good balance reason not to just make deserters be a tool for transportation.

A cool implementation of this could be something like bringing up a menu similar to the waypoint sign mod. Either that or it works like pylons do in Terraria, were using one will bring up the minimap and allow you to teleport to another deserter. Ideally you wouldn't have to click the deserter in order to teleport, just opening the map would be fine. Honestly if the desert just became Terraria pylons that'd be great.

Why do you forget, that watches can be used only by Wanda? Does football helmet become useless after Wigfrid come?

Lazy deserter can be used:

- to teleport other people to lunar island or somewhere else

- to drop sanity on the lunar island

- to drop sanity to farm fuel

- as a decor.

But yeah, if you play alone, lazy deserter loose it's main function.

Lazy deserter allows you to mass recall people between point A and point B, basically for free after spending the original building price. It's not a bad item and it actually has a good synergy with Wanda (its cheaper if Wanda teleports herself to a deserter and recalls everyone else, instead of making a rift each time).

What could be improved though, is that deserters allow you to move people between shards.

52 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Lazy deserter allows you to mass recall people between point A and point B, basically for free after spending the original building price. It's not a bad item and it actually has a good synergy with Wanda (its cheaper if Wanda teleports herself to a deserter and recalls everyone else, instead of making a rift each time).

What could be improved though, is that deserters allow you to move people between shards.

I mean it definitely ain't useless, not even remotely arguing that, but I don't think that fast travel should be limited to a single character when it's pretty much a must-have at this point - she gives you direct access to both the ruins and lunar island from base, and that really isn't something that should be locked behind a woven character.

I'd rather people be a relatively free to use whichever character they like without making any major sacrifices in the long term - no other character has THIS significant an advantage in a given area like wanda does. Wanda skips all travel time at the cost of 1 purple gem per trip. Other characters can telelocate, BUT:

- At most back and forth between 2 locations

- At a cost of more than 3 purple gems per use, living logs and nightmare fuel

- At a very significant drain to sanity

- ONLY within the same shard and ONLY in the overworld. No caves teleportation at all (which mind you, is going to be where a lot of people want to teleport to)

- You cannot use telelocator staves for their other uses like overcharging WX, starting rain, or keeping one loaded to move any vargs you might find. Not to mention, it's global, meaning if you share the server with others you're all still limited to 2 focuses.

This is like if the lazy explorer didnt exist, and teleporting to places was like five times more useful than it is now. Or if every character except wolfgang did 1/10 of the damage they do now. The difference between wanda's late game transport options and those of the other survivors is absolutely ridiculous, and I don't think it's because wanda is overpowered -  I think that fast travel is just something the game should have had for a while now, and the most elegant way to do it would just be to make the lazy deserter that option. 

Buffed it in the sense of transporting between shards or reducing the sanity cost is okey but buffing it to the point of being able to teleport without the need of other player is way too much, it will make wanda and telelocator focus lose a lot of value. Also the lazy desserter isnt expensive and dessert stones can be farmed by hundreds

Wanda's portals are strong because are limited to her. She can only craft them and only she can activate them

Is a good thing to have stuff that only works with multiple people but is true that focusing the entire loot from a boss to be only really usefull when there is more than 1 player is kinda bad.

I wish antlion drop something for solo players or they added dessert stones into more recipes. I would be happy if we could just refine orange gems with them,atleast solo player will have more freedom when telepuffing with lazy explorer.

They can add a club made of dessert stones that hits so slow but summons sand spikes on hit

The Lazy Deserter is already super useful even with only two players in a world. Plus it works as intended. We use it quite a lot in the world I play in, where one player is typically getting around on a Beefalo. If you want to make it more akin to Wanda's abilities it will only diminish her uniqueness. I see no reason to touch The Lazy Explorer. Wanting to change The Lazy Deserter because Wanda's ways of transportation are superior to the ones of the other characters (not sure about that, or if it even has such an essential impact on gameplay, even if they certainly provide more flexible means of transportation) when it already works fine would just serve to normalize stuff which is boring. It's like when people are pointing out that a Crock Pot dish is slightly better than another for the similar amount of ingredients needed and want it changed.

Willow's late-game fire resistance is superior to any other character's and that is what makes her fun, for example.

Isn't Wanda's release even more of a reason to not buff lazy deserter now? Doing that would kinda make one of Wanda's only team-focused abilities quite pointless. Lazy deserter has a purpose. It's much more balanced to have a character that can offer that benefit rather than giving everyone that ability.

The strength of DST should be in the cumulative strength of the characters that make up a lobby. That is what makes the "together" aspect fun, IMO.

However, I do think lazy deserter should be adjusted for single player worlds (local only). Otherwise it really is completely useless in that case.

6 hours ago, DajeKotlyar said:

Why do you forget, that watches can be used only by Wanda?

This is exactly the point. Lazy Deserter has been a practically useless boss drop for offline worlds since introduction. 

If Lazy Deserter gained the ability to be used solo, it would not nullify Wanda's use. First off, you need the stones (a seasonal boss drop) to use the thing. Wanda can be used year-round. And for the multiplayer part, Wanda would still be a cut above due to portability. Which would be fine. Let Wanda be better at fast travel, without making fast travel practically exclusive to her.

Her fast travel watches aren't a problem. The lack of options for others to have any semi-reasonable fast travel is the problem. And Lazy Deserter has been begging for this use for a long time now. It be TIME to let it shine.

52 minutes ago, AlternateMew said:

This is exactly the point. Lazy Deserter has been a practically useless boss drop for offline worlds since introduction. 

If Lazy Deserter gained the ability to be used solo, it would not nullify Wanda's use. First off, you need the stones (a seasonal boss drop) to use the thing. Wanda can be used year-round. And for the multiplayer part, Wanda would still be a cut above due to portability. Which would be fine. Let Wanda be better at fast travel, without making fast travel practically exclusive to her.

Her fast travel watches aren't a problem. The lack of options for others to have any semi-reasonable fast travel is the problem. And Lazy Deserter has been begging for this use for a long time now. It be TIME to let it shine.

Lazy desserter is to cheap tor that buff and dessert stones can be mass farmed via toys

I play 90% solo and i dont care having multiplayer only features. In a cooperation game that structure is just too good, making it for solo is just unbalanced and sad to see that desing vanished

25 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I play 90% solo and i dont care having multiplayer only features. In a cooperation game that structure is just too good, making it for solo is just unbalanced and sad to see that desing vanished

And I personally don't care for fast travel. I think it cheapens games in general and very often and ruins immersion. It is, dare I say, lazy. Heck I have a mod for that thing on and I have never used it once in an 800+ day world.

That doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that a lot of people want fast travel, and we just got a character-exclusive fast travel without any reasonable alternative for other characters.

Fast travel isn't like other things, it's a QoL game design staple. Closest comparison I can think of in DST right now is Walter and Woby. Walter comes with an easy personal mount/travel storage. Other characters, if they want the perks of Woby, need to have Chester and sink time into and protect a Beefalo, where as Walter just starts with it and cannot lose it. Walter has that easier and more sustainably than others, but others have a reasonable alternative. This is not the case with fast travel. 

Let Lazy Deserter teleport solo peoples. 

1 hour ago, AlternateMew said:

First off, you need the stones (a seasonal boss drop) to use the thing. Wanda can be used year-round

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t Wanda’s fast travel watches require Mac tusks, a seasonal drop which can be a pain to grind depending on the world?

Just now, goblinball said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t Wanda’s fast travel watches require Mac tusks, a seasonal drop which can be a pain to grind depending on the world?

i've seen people say the ageless watch is bad because you could have 160 pierogis instead so yeah

2 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Well you done got me there!

Lazy Deserter I'd still say is more expensive, needing an orange gem for every one you want to have, and if you run out of stones out of season then you're out of luck, where a watch is infinite and only limited by the cooldown. 

If continuing the Woby comparison, I'd say that be along the lines of a tamed Beefalo can be a melee weapon unlike Woby, but can also die and make you start all over.

9 minutes ago, Well-met said:

i've seen people say the ageless watch is bad because you could have 160 pierogis instead so yeah

isnt it? is better to have <20 healing every 2 min than 640 every time you want? sure, the clock isnt wasted but only being able to heal a little per slot every 2 min isnt ideal or an easy experience

Archived