Deconstruction of items to get non renewable/hard to renew resources

2 resources that are rather hard to come by in the late game are fossils and bone shards. Fossils make for nice (mostly) indestructible barriers, but are a limited resource (unless cave rocks regenerate but I don't think they do), and bone shards, while renewable, are difficult to amass large quantities of, and ever since Eye of The Storm, bone shards are much more useful for providing infinite light thanks to mushlights. A simple fix to this issue would be to allow the bone armour and bone helmet dropped from the Ancient Fuelweaver to be deconstructed, giving 3-4 fossils and 4-5 bone shards. Bone helmets and armour are items that can build up very quickly in late game worlds, so it'd be nice to have a use, especially for all the bone armours which can only be destroyed by feeding them to a lureplant.

Another suggestion would be to allow the bee queen crown to be deconstructed for 6 or so honeycombs, as while you can get a lot of honeycombs (assuming you get a bee biome), they are pretty much only renewable by killing the bee queen, who only drops 1-2 per kill.

I'm sure these suggestions have been made before, but I'd like more attention to be drawn to the issue.

theres a small chance to get a honey comb from hammering the beequeen hive i think. i got a honey comb from hammering it once.

34 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Another suggestion would be to allow the bee queen crown to be deconstructed for 6 or so honeycombs. only drops 1-2 per kill.

Completely agree on fossils, but bone shards are really easy to mass produce, don't see the need for it.  The fossils would be great tho as I think almost everyone who would like more fossil has a lot of leftover FW materials.

Deconstructing bq crown into combs sounds fine too, as they are very limited(you can deconstruct klaus paper for it, bit too pricy tho). Yes you have a 1% to get one when hammering the hive but that doesn't add that much to the renewability 

11 hours ago, Bugsworth said:

theres a small chance to get a honey comb from hammering the beequeen hive i think. i got a honey comb from hammering it once.

Yes, but it's still pretty small. Considering that damn bee queen can drop random 1 or 2 honeycombs, doesn't make it any better

12 hours ago, Baark0 said:

and bone shards, while renewable, are difficult to amass large quantities of, and ever since Eye of The Storm, bone shards are much more useful for providing infinite light thanks to mushlights.

I am confused on how bone shards are difficult to get when you don’t often need them for much. Yes, you can’t get tons of them at once, but considering the 3 things that need them the most are buckets of poop for mushlights (which is only 2 per), the eyebrella (which needs 4 per), and desert turf (and 2 biomes are guaranteed to be composed primarily of desert turf), I don’t see how this is much of an issue, especially since you can renew them with:

• Fishing in a small pond and letting the eels/fish rot
  • Fishing in the oasis pond as fish are commonly caught there
  • Ocean (both fishing and killing the occasional gnarwail/rockjaw will net you quite a bit of bone shards)
  • Summoning klaus, as every deer antler put into the loot stash will give a bone shard (and honestly, this is all I’ve needed to keep my bone shard supply well stocked for ~10K days)
  • Literally any server that’s public Ever

Even without renewing, there’s still a lot of bone shards to get on the map thanks to the deserts always having skeleton pieces to hammer and the world in general has tons of boons around for free shards.

Aside from that, I do approve of the suggestions. I’m not exaggerating when I admit I probably have 100+ each of all of the FW drops, and over 200+ BQ crowns I’m never going to use. Being able to deconstruct them to get hard to renew resources would be a welcome change, especially fossil fragments/honeycombs.

hmmm? I wonder where suggestions should go? 

the general discussion forum? or the SUGGESTIONS and feedback forum?

anyways as for the suggestion, I don't see why not? it can be added as quality of life change but I doubt klei will add it 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:25 PM, Baark0 said:

A simple fix to this issue would be to allow the bone armour and bone helmet dropped from the Ancient Fuelweaver to be deconstructed, giving 3-4 fossils and 4-5 bone shards.

just create an endless server and surround spawn with anenimies and bunnymen, there you have it! FrEe BoNe ShArDs

It's also best to use statues and not fossils, they're a renewable blocker and they're not expensive like endtables 

8 hours ago, ShadowQueen said:

It's also best to use statues and not fossils, they're a renewable blocker and they're not expensive like endtables 

perhaps, but when you need to carry say 15+ statues to surround a poorly spawned goose nest, it gets a bit tiring. I would know, because I have 4 of them right next to my cave entrance. it's also just way more convenient to place a fossil, rather than making the sculpting table, having to put an ingredient on the table, grabbing the sculpture off of the table, then either slowly walking or sitting through the mounting animation of a beefalo and finally placing the statue where you want it to be.

6 hours ago, Baark0 said:

perhaps, but when you need to carry say 15+ statues to surround a poorly spawned goose nest, it gets a bit tiring. I would know, because I have 4 of them right next to my cave entrance. it's also just way more convenient to place a fossil, rather than making the sculpting table, having to put an ingredient on the table, grabbing the sculpture off of the table, then either slowly walking or sitting through the mounting animation of a beefalo and finally placing the statue where you want it to be.

Since beefalos aren't hard to tame, carrying statues is a breeze

Bone shards are SUPER easy, kill yourself ask a friend to use a heart on you, rinse and repeat, whenever you get tired just use an idol to swap characters and you get ur max hp back.

I think 4 combs for klaus is good by just deconstructing paper if you want more bee boxes 

And for the fossils I totally agree we should get more, at this point I dont need them but couldve made my life easier instead of gathering all those resources for tables...

(Was way before waterlogged nuts)

3 minutes ago, Dart1014 said:

I think 4 combs for klaus is good by just deconstructing paper if you want more bee boxes

That's not how it works, you don't get honeycomb first. You get beeswax and the papyrus first then you need to deconstruct the beeswax next. The most you get is two honeycombs and a beeswax per staff which is expensive.

4 honeycombs are enough to feed a character trough most seasons, I think a couple green gems ain't that expensive.

Worst case scenario 4 bee boxes will produce somewhere around 40 points of food daily (one honey each), killing dfly and klaus for not having to find other means of food is fair enough in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, Dart1014 said:

4 honeycombs are enough to feed a character trough most seasons, I think a couple green gems ain't that expensive.

Worst case scenario 4 bee boxes will produce somewhere around 40 points of food daily (one honey each), killing dfly and klaus for not having to find other means of food is fair enough in my opinion. 

But you dont deconstruc wax paper for making bee boxes (what a waste), is for giant veggies which with 4 you cant do much

On 9/9/2021 at 6:58 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

But you dont deconstruc wax paper for making bee boxes (what a waste), is for giant veggies which with 4 you cant do much

Lol, giant veggies do not spoil if you place them on the basket thingy (cant remember the name. )

On 8/30/2021 at 12:25 AM, Baark0 said:

bone shards, while renewable, are difficult to amass large quantities

make merm farm they drop fish and rotten fish drop bones, really fast way to amass large quantities

Spoiler

On 8/30/2021 at 12:25 AM, Baark0 said:

bone armour and bone helmet dropped from the Ancient Fuelweaver to be deconstructed,
allow the bee queen crown to be deconstructed

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2579978498

Archived