Armor choices

Armor is cool but its depressing how the only accessible armor headpiece early game is the football helm and that's it. Then there's mid game where you get 2 extra head armor peices. The snurtle shell and thulecite crown. Then the 2 boss armor pieces that using would be a waste because sanity and insanity.(beequeen crown and bone helm) last but not least wigfirds helm, cookiecuttercap, and the beehat.

Excluding character specific armor only 2 helmets are actually useful for armor and not a pain to get. That's extremely low considering the amount of useful body armor is 6 excluding character specific body armor.

Now here comes the opinion. In my opinion there should be more use to the current armor and be alot easier to get(cookiecuttercap shouldn't be that insanely hard to get for a just ok piece of armor and the shelmet shouldn't be extremely rare) of course this wont stop people from over using pigskin for armor and weapons(weapons is another topic for another day)

Which brings me to my next point. Football helmet should be the base armor(that's useful but doesnt provide any extra benefits beside being armor.)and then other armor pieces for the head should give some sort of benefit to add extra use to the less defending or harder to get armor. Suggestions time 

The cookiecuttercap should damage what hit you right back and provide much more durability or make it less costly.

Suggestion number 2 is just more headpiece armor with actual fighting uses and maybe even side effects like sanity gain, wetness protection, being a lightning rod, etc.

Now you might be thinking why should this be done? It's because pigskin is a material that has so much use but getting large amounts is impossible if you dont destroy houses to get some. Giving other headpieces(and weapons) some general use that would put less strain on that particular resource and stop people from leaving with 20 pigskin being a game over for anyone that wants armor.

Now thulecite crowns are good and worth it to make it's just that getting them may not be so easy or fun for some. Plus its limited amount if you do ruins rush is a detramint tell spring or summer leaving them unused due to people not wanting to waste them.

Also body armor is cool but almost no one is willing to sacrifice a backpack unless they have chester(sometimes) or woby(sometimes) and you could make it and just carry it around but if it isnt a fight your prepared for your most likely not gunna wear it tell it's too late.(or even make it) using pigskin as a way to make armor also has a side effect of almost no new people knowing how to get the stuff (sense murder and smashing houses isnt the first thing most people do)

I do think head armours are a bit limited, so some gimmics would definitely be welcomed by me. I don't like hats that damage attackers when hit simply because one shouldn't get rewarded for taking damage/punished for landing a hit. The only half decent gimmicks I can think of are hitstun immunity/resistance and a knockback mechanic.

I don't know how useful body armours are considered to everyone else, but from my perspective they're just a nice alternative in boss fights mostly hurt by the fact that they're competing with the Magiluminecence. Bone amour definitely stands above the rest of the body protection options for me. So overall I only really use log suits for early game, and night armour for boss fights when I have some lying around. 

1 thing that many dont seem to know is that wood armor as literaly the exact same stats as the footballhelm its just body slot wich you can just drop your pack on the ground if needed if you get into combat alsol something seems unknown is that durabilty of armor actualy stacks whit helm and body sure its not like single player how alsol defense gets stacked but durabilty still stacks makin armor last longer in a way but well yes i guess your askin for more helmet this is what i realy get from like something like an easy none character helm to make easy like grass armor but for the head

Honestly I wish there was a cheaper, more renewable alternative to give spiders.

I disagree with the premise that you’d need to hammer pig houses to meet your needs, kill 40 spiders, make 5 werepigs, and than should give you a hambat and more than enough armor until more pigs spawn. Hammering is degenerate, it’s really obnoxious for everyone that isn’t you.

8 minutes ago, CaRat said:

-Snip-

From reading your mini essay on armor, I find a major flaw within in it. It is entirely centered around the idea that having head piece armor is the only realistic option the player is going to use because "bakpac overall others", and thus you conclude that only having 2-3 real good options for the head is balderdash, but you forget to compare this to the body armors. Without having to look it up, I can recall a minimum of 6 body slot armors, a majority of which have equal or more durability then their dome counterparts. From this we can conclude that the dev seem to intend that the body is the slot they want you to consider wearing and using, you know, having the player make decisions based on their playstyle and what they value the most in comparison to the other options. While it is perfectly fine for you, or others, to only use the exo skulls as protection, but you also have to also consider that  by doing that, you intentionally limiting yourself as the devs seemed to put the majority of their defense allocation into the chest slot.

All that being said, I do have to agree that the armors in the game could use a few tweaks in their effectiveness. While most armors have a reason to make then, whatever that be a special perk or simply being better or cheaper, there is a few like the nightmare armor that seem to have a lack of use because the benefits they do offer aren't different enough to really make a difference or the materials are simply too hard to get. Klei isn't perfect when it comes to balancing, and thus they occasionally need to be steered back into the correct direction. But this is only my opinion so...

DST needs a major overhaul. Not only armors.
With more people joining and trying it out I see Klei changing things to be more accessible and friendly to new people. But, outdated mechanics and crafts are still a big part of this old game, one trick, close to useless and expensive items are still a thing, seemed to just be left behind with new additions and character refreshes.
You also gotta take into account body armor being the best option towards defense and not just headgear. It's a twist that makes fights less challenging by giving away precious inventory slots (At least for the duration of whatever threat you're facing).
I'd choose differentiating each piece of armor with unique capabilities as being the best bet and not the addition of new defensive gear. In my opinion, the change for a better designed upgrade system, so we can make said obsolete gear useful again even after we hit end game is long overdue.

17 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

Snip snap

Look I love using body armor or body slot (rain coat I love you please dont leave) but I've seen like 10 people actually use and make body armor.(also there's 9 body armor pieces but 1 of them is a grass suit and the other is a fire hazard aka scailmail and then wormwoods body armor)the only kind of frequently used armor is wormwoods armor and a log suit. I would love to use armor more often, but when I'm not using a backpack usually I have a raincoat, puffy vest, or floral vest respectively. Thus taking them off would be a pain. But the point is body armor is good but like the head slot armor it should be fixed in some sort of way to give more use.

Unpopular opinion but I feel like the damage reduction of head slot armors should be dropped not because their better than body armor but because it would make sense that body armor would protect you. Actually while it's too late to do this late into dst I feel like stacking armor should have been required to get the current level of damage reduction outside of special armors or less common ones for exmaple log suit=50 percent damage reduction football helm=30 percent damage reduction and then higher tier defense items without special effects could still have high defense and feel worth it

Football helmets are intentionally designed to be the cheapest armor. More experienced players don't have trouble replacing it with thulecite crowns. The cookie cutter cap could be made cheaper, but that's about all you've said that I agree with.

19 hours ago, CaRat said:

It's because pigskin is a material that has so much use but getting large amounts is impossible if you dont destroy houses to get some.

Make a pig farm.

Plus its limited amount if you do ruins rush is a detramint tell spring or summer leaving them unused due to people not wanting to waste them.

What?

Also body armor is cool but almost no one is willing to sacrifice a backpack

If you're unwilling to sacrifice a backpack that's on you. Plenty of more experienced players do without one.

using pigskin as a way to make armor also has a side effect of almost no new people knowing how to get the stuff (sense murder and smashing houses isnt the first thing most people do)

Why do you think new players are so stupid? If you go in the fight tab you can see that a football helmet requires pig skin. It isn't particularly rocket science to think that killing pigs might be you get their skin.

18 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

there is a few like the nightmare armor that seem to have a lack of use because the benefits they do offer aren't different enough to really make a difference or the materials are simply too hard to get.

Night armor is great if you're based in a swamp or have a reed trap, but it is typically not as accessible as other options.

Now you might be thinking why should this be done? It's because pigskin is a material that has so much use but getting large amounts is impossible if you dont destroy houses to get some.

i never destroy pig houses in my worlds, i just farm spiders in early to get werepigs and later on i make a pig farm so this is false

Now thulecite crowns are good and worth it to make it's just that getting them may not be so easy or fun for some

that is the magic of this game. Noobs cant farm them but if they keep improving they will have access to cooler staff that changes the way you play the game making the fun last longer

Also body armor is cool but almost no one is willing to sacrifice a backpack

did you know that you can have body armor in your inventory and equip it before fighting? just pick the backpack before leaving the area...

head armor protects you against sneak attacks in the darkness when you carry your backpack.

also, in earlier versions of ds, it was possible to carry your backpack in your hand. And one of the big reasons why head armor is better is cuz you have damage reduction while travelling with a backpack.

I do use log armor tho in certain situations, like during spring when i combine it with eyebrella.

to sum it up, log suit is a decent armor but football helmet is superior. that doesn't mean that logsuit will never come in handy, far from it.

17 minutes ago, Waynel said:

head armor protects you against sneak attacks in the darkness when you carry your backpack.

also, in earlier versions of ds, it was possible to carry your backpack in your hand. And one of the big reasons why head armor is better is cuz you have damage reduction while travelling with a backpack.

I do use log armor tho in certain situations, like during spring when i combine it with eyebrella.

to sum it up, log suit is a decent armor but football helmet is superior. that doesn't mean that logsuit will never come in handy, far from it.

i wont be as arrogant as other users... but that isnt a reason why head armor is better, only terrorbeaks or bishop and you can predict that encounters with the insanity sounds or by not being closer to bishops areas. Other than that, you can walk very save since in dst there isnt a lot of hostile creatures constanly

18 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i wont be as arrogant as other users... but that isnt a reason why head armor is better, only terrorbeaks or bishop and you can predict that encounters with the insanity sounds or by not being closer to bishops areas. Other than that, you can walk very save since in dst there isnt a lot of hostile creatures constanly

well fine to me if you're one of these highly focused players who never ever lose awareness of their environment and who can detect any sound cue at any moment and react on time.

but from my personal experience with regard to non swamp merms at nighttime, rogue worms in the caves, or yes even shadow creatures (imagine that!), i prefer to stick to head gear.

But again i don't reject your argument because that's just my pov, which fits MY skill level and MY playstyle.

So ye for more experienced players, go ahead, don't wear helmet when you travel.

Edit : guys i swear, i have a lot of esteem for logsuit, don't get me wrong !

Head armours are fine imo, in short term worlds football helms will be fine, and in longterm worlds you've got thulecite crowns. Cookie cutter cap will likely never be useful simply due to the mob you need to kill to craft it usually being very out of the way to get to, but other than that all head armours serve a purpose and fulfill said purpose well.

Body armour's are more niche, for example, marble suit is good for tanking, night armour is good on the lunar island, scalemail is nice for playing with fire, and log suit is good at wasting resources. Even grass suit is better than it simply due to the fact it doesn't need research, meaning it can save you a minor amount of hp in the early game. Of course none of this matters since bone armour is just straight up better than all of these, and the fact you can pair it with head armour negates the downside of it not actually providing protection outside of the shadow shield.

Archived