Antlion mechanics sucks

Another post about how bad summer is it? Well, kind of. Antlion is truly a joke in the game, and man its unfunny one. First of all, the quest of going to Oasis and fishing is terrible - its just a waste of 3-7 days since you just stand and occasionaly click on pound until The Holy Potato Cup bless you with luck and you get a blueprint... twice. Really, what is the point of fancy googles other than just slowing progress of a player?

So even when you get Desert Googles, craft them, survive possible hound attack and earthquake inside small oasis you need to fight Antlion. You know, even at this point it feels like DS Dragonfly with "Maim. Kill. BURN" kind of thing was at least more interesting. So, to fight Antlion you need fully heated/cooled thermal stone, something you can't understand without wiki, like even small character quote would be fine.

The fight itself... depressing. Combat was always pricky thing to talk about because it all just "hit & run" , but Antlion fight is truly terrible way to improve boss fight in multiplayer game. While killing it 1 vs 1 is somewhat good, killing Antlion with more people is just transforming whole fight into tanking him, arena is very small, sand castles block almost all floor and arena itself quickly become blocked completely with spikes. It just more easier to send 1 person to kill him or tank him. In another words - worst boss fight in terms of Cooperative gameplay. Even Misery Toadstool and Crabking force players to do something other than tanking them...

TL:DR - Antlion really deserve to be changed in this year QoL update

Im having some trouble understanding what you're angry about... Bosses in general? The oasis? Summer? Antlion is too hard?

I'd just like antlion to be useful in solo worlds.

A little unconventional but Antlion can chop trees for you.

He is also a good source of rocks underground.

Ant is nice to have enabled if you spend summers in the caves, as she can supply you with plenty of rocks, and thats actually the reason I plan to re enable her in my megabase world. I really just dislike that you need to feed her a thermal stone in order to get rid of her, like, why? This is most comparable to bee queen and toadstool requiring a hammer/axe respectively, but with them its not a full tool, just a small amount of its durability. With antlion, you waste a perfectly good thermal stone to fight a boss that honestly is better alive than dead (at least in the caves). The Deserter's usefulness is debatable, as usually there is one main base, so all the deserter does is sometimes save other players the journey of locations such as the lunar island.

The fight itself is a nice change of pace, instead of the standard hit and run combat, ant kinda shakes things up by making you have to think about where youre dodging to. Remove the thermal stone requirement, and I'll have no issues with ant.

5 minutes ago, BoySyrup said:

So I have to freeze it first to attack it... but if I'm just attacking it anyways why do I need a thermal stone...?

I imagine to provider a controllable transition from structure to creature?

Didn't have to be a thermal but that's what they came up with (brain freeze). Incase you wanted to build around his spawn points but didn't want it to be attackable, incase your using the whole desert to base. (Shootious, catapults, etc)

The main way to deal with antlion isn't to fight him, it's to appease her. The oasis quest is a good change of pace that you can choose to completely ignore on your own volition, it gives nice rewards that you use against both sandstorms and later moonstorms. If you find it annoying, just find Antlion and feed rocks to them or appease it with trinkets. Just one person getting the blueprints is enough and even if you dont have a teammate, moongoggles will also work fine. Fashion goggles are good as they and more complexity-cooperation to the quest and they are nice sanity/fashion hats to wear in other times.

1 hour ago, pikamuse said:

Change having to sacrifice a thermal stone to using an ice staff on her and it'll be fine. What's that? Thermal stone is cheaper than ice staff? At least you can use it multiple times. Which will help if you die mid-fight.

10 rocks & 5 flint and <1 flint & <1 blue gem are both basically free. I only think one of them becomes notably more expensive when you start doing things like putting an ice box at antlion to keep thermals in, but if you're doing that you can probably afford it.

But he's not complaining that thermal stones are expensive, he's complaining that he has to go through something unintuitive that the game doesn't tell you instead of just being able to walk up and smack it.

1 hour ago, pikamuse said:

Change having to sacrifice a thermal stone to using an ice staff on her and it'll be fine. What's that? Thermal stone is cheaper than ice staff? At least you can use it multiple times. Which will help if you die mid-fight.

the thing is that he eats rocks

maybe ice... but is kinda cheap

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the thing is that he eats rocks

maybe ice... but is kinda cheap

Blue gems should work too.

I get rid of her every summer as it only takes half a day and I find her annoying. Blue gems would be more inexpensive than using flint for crafting in the end game. Flint is one of those things I stop stockpiling. 

it propably would have just been better for antlion to be a neutrall creature that dont attack you at all unless you do something first i mean that way it makes more sense in a way like whats the lore reasons why it first needs to be frozen?

14 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Blue gems should work too.

I get rid of her every summer as it only takes half a day and I find her annoying. Blue gems would be more inexpensive than using flint for crafting in the end game. Flint is one of those things I stop stockpiling. 

with the turf station, flint is one of the materials that i waste the most

14 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Yep. Rocky turf is made of rocks and flint so in late game flint has become an important material after these many years xD

Lol I imagine its for cobblestone?. Too bad it doesn't stack with beefalo or I would craft it too. Also blooming ftw.

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

I imagine to provider a controllable transition from structure to creature?

Didn't have to be a thermal but that's what they came up with (brain freeze). Incase you wanted to build around his spawn points but didn't want it to be attackable, incase your using the whole desert to base. (Shootious, catapults, etc)

^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

its just a thermal stone lol..... one summer in the caves and her own boulders will supply you with years worth of thermal stone rocks to fight her (and flint from cave ins) 

u cant have a trading NPC be attackable by default.. that sounds very unwise 

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

with the turf station, flint is one of the materials that i waste the most

yeah same, flint is the only mineral I always miss in late too.

As for lion, the fight is fine and the concept imo, the thing I dislike the most is the how useless desert stone are in single player

Archived