Which is the most annoying mob to deal with?

For me, I can name 3.

1. Rockjaws, I love(sarcasm btw) fighting an enemy that is so random, so frequent and so damaging that the only real option is to just bring ton of armor and healing on your boat and tank and spank every one you encounter. Their attacks are so random that you're usually punished when you kite them.

2. Pengulls, nothing like wasting the first day or two of my winter getting all 6 pengull flocks to spawn away from my base, this is especially so in culinary archipelago cause the cherry island has alot of river-esque water areas for them to spawn from, but in just about any world I do I make sure they don't spawn near my base.

3. Batilisks, why does this enemy have such awful tunnel vision? Once they've locked onto a target they will pretty much not get off that target unless you outrun them a significant distance, you can even have something else literally murdering their entire kind but if they've targeted you chances are they'll literally ignore the other mobs slaughtering their kind and still chase you.

I'm very surprised that the Klei Forums of all places is where I'm going to see people literally suggest tanking rockjaws. You hit the shark after it attacks, it's that easy! If you kill the sharks correctly the random kiting period merely adds a bit of variance to the fight so it isn't so monotonous. My only problem with rockjaws is that you're punished for fighting them correctly because they run away if they don't get a hit on you...

That being said, for me the most annoying mob to fight in DST is Krampus. He's near-impossible to spawn on accident, requiring you to either mass-kill a bunch of animals or make a Wickerbottom farm to spawn him. Of course you could always just kill Glommer before the full moon but 3-4 Krampii every 20 days is still too infrequent. If you have no bait you're going to have to hit him with a ranged weapon or chase him down. He has a very tight kiting pattern that will tear you apart on any server with a bad connection, and once that's all done you have a mere 1 percent chance to get loot that is of any use.

45 minutes ago, SuperMeatGoy said:

You hit the shark after it attacks, it's that easy!

That’s not how it works. Each time after it does it’s triple chomp attack, it has a 40% chance to repeat it. You can’t get hits in between triple chomp attacks. The most realizable way to kite it would be before it attacks, but that can be tricky if your boat is already packed.

Nevertheless, yeah, once you understand their mechanics they theoretically shouldn’t provide too much trouble.

1. Sharks despawn offscreen. Most people know this. You can just keep sailing if you find one while sailing.

2. After jumping on your boat and failing to hit anyone 3x in a row, they give up and swim away.

3. You can lure sharks to you with any kind of fish/meat; if you want to keep fighting them.

4. Sharks are AOE, but they deal 50% less damage against multiple targets. 

It pains me to think about, though, that there is NO LIMIT to the number of triple chomp attacks they do consecutively before jumping off your boat.  They can just keep on chomping. That’s how one killed my shadow chester, and I will never forgive.

2 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

That’s not how it works. Each time after it does it’s triple chomp attack, it has a 40% chance to repeat it. You can’t get hits in between triple chomp attacks. The most realizable way to kite it would be before it attacks, but that can be tricky if your boat is already packed.

I usually do both but since the shark always does it's additional chomps at a consistent time, you can wait a second or so and then safely get 1-2 hits after the shark attacks.

1) Walls. Why oh why does my character attack walls a tile away rather than the nightmare creature directly in front of them? Why does repairing walls take four times as many resources as just building a new wall? Why can I even attack walls, shouldn't I need to use a Hammer? Walls are so expensive, and yet so easy to **** up, there's no argument that they are the most annoying "mob" in the game.

2) Poison Mosquitos in Shipwrecked. Mosquitos in DST you can at least avoid by not basing near their spawns. In Shipwrecked, Poison Mosquitos will spawn in your base even if you have sandbags. Neither mob is interesting to fight or loot, but at least regular Mosquitos can't do serious harm. Poison on the other hand can completely **** you over due to the insane sanity loss.

3) Terrorbeaks. There's a messed up attack animation with these *****. Sometimes they attack then roar, sometimes they attack attack. They deal so much damage that any amount of lag usually means a respawn. The design did not translate well into multiplayer, and if I had the option I would completely disable this mob from ever spawning. It feels like you should be seeing a single Terrorbeak on occasion when you hit 0 sanity. However in the actual game there's typically three or four attacking you at once since Beaks spawned in by other players can gang up on a single insane player (my record is seven, all from insanity). Nightmare creatures as a concept are great, Terrorbeaks specifically are not.

4) Hounds & Crocodogs. Hound waves are the worst combination of too difficult for newer players unfamiliar with the kiting pattern and too easy to cheese for more experienced players. Couple this with the fact that you basically have to cheese them later in the day count since too many spawn at once and they can stunlock you. If you have an efficient cheesing method (such as mob allies or some traps), then Hound waves just turn into free resources (the Monster Meat economy in default-settings DST is ridiculous). I get the desire to push people out of their base and into the wider world, but hound waves barely accomplish this in the early game and in the late game they merely serve as a way to punish afk players. Having the option to disable hound waves has made DST an actually fun game for my more casual friends, and now having played without them I'd rather not go back. The Hampire Bats in Hamlet are a great reinterpretation of the "wave-mob" concept. They come in large groups, but since only 1-2 is actually attacking you at any given moment a large number of Bats becomes manageable. Their design encourages you to fight rather than cheese. Additionally, since their meat drop is not guaranteed players actually have to venture outside their base in order to have a reliable source of meat.

Honourable Mention) Nurse Spiders. Fighting Spider Queens was already a slog, especially since 2-3 usually spawn in a group due to how the game generates spider nests. Woodie as a Moose can still deal with them no problem, but now it takes an extra 2-3min per Queen. I truly despise this mob since it doesn't add anything to the game, only slows things down and forces us to spend more useless time between making important decisions. Thankfully Bearger & Deerclops exist to clear out any tier-3 dens that may exist so there is a reliable cheesing method available to all characters.

Hounds, because I'm forced to deal with them (unless turn off them in settings, but in basic settings would be them.)

And honestly in late game they are just monster meat delivery or "disconnect and connect 2mins later".

Archived