Make funcaps immune to their spoiling effect

For god knows what reason, funcaps increase the spoilage rate of foods. I don't have much of a problem with it personally, what I do have a problem with is that funcaps themselves are not immune to this. Why? It makes their already laughable durability even more of a joke. 4 days? And no way to repair it? I know these items are pretty bad but come on, you have to kill at least a 52500 hp boss, or get lucky with Klaus to unlock one of these items, and all you get is what some players might honestly consider a joke item.

36 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

For god knows what reason, funcaps increase the spoilage rate of foods.

Because you learn the recipes from Toadstool, a mushroom-themed boss who can spoil things quickly.

I think this buff would be fine and increase my enjoyment of them, but I also do want to say that I already find funcaps to be a pretty good item in general! With certain playstyles you can get into a nice rhythm of catching a single spore, planting it for more mushrooms, and using those for your next funcap, without having to drastically change the way you play. I do it a ton when I'm farming giant crops, since I'm tethered to base anyway and it helps give me something to do while I chill.

Also I want to note that the spoilage modifier does not affect any items in backpacks, so you can avoid it on everything except the hat itself by keeping food items in your backpack.

Funcaps are neat and I'm not really a fan of how aggressively dismissive you're being of them here. I don't think most people would consider them a "joke item" at all, and you're presenting a lot of aspects of their design as way worse than they are.

Funcaps are crazy powerful with Wormwood. With one hat item he can:

-Have infinite hp via beefalo (good in battle even bee quee) or compost bin (not good in battle)

- Have infinite hunger via red caps

- Have infinite sanity via green caps or simply by planting spore will give you sanity

Why infinite? Because the hat pays for itself so no outside sources are needed. You can collect 20+ spores per hat.

So if someone thinks it is a joke item, they are gravely mistaken and with a mad lab anyone can have infinite living logs after some time (very late game).

I do agree that it shouldn't spoil itself because its hunger reduction ability is its weakest point. Its hunger reduction will amount to 6 red caps worth of hunger saved for normal characters, which is also its cost. 

75×4 (hats duration)=300x .75(.25 hunger saved)=225. 300-225= 75 hunger saved total

6 red caps x 12.5=75 hunger

The hunger reduction is only there so the hat can pay for itself, which is neat, but it could be a bit more.

Also please klei allow mushroom planters to function in winter. They should be allowed to compete with Winter crops which require only planks. This is a tier 2 science item and mushroom don't rot in winter in the wild, please. 

I don't carry food on me normally. Can't really say why, I just don't enjoy doing it.

I have 6 mushrooms planters, usually play alone, and just throw a mushroom in each one after every harvest, not even bothering with the spores. That alone nets me extra mushrooms I don't even know what to do with, because even if I craft hats before the first one rots, I still have some laying mushrooms left over.

The funcaps increasing spoil rate but reducing hunger rate is pretty much the perfect hat for me. It gives me a slight buff in the one thing I suffer with while travelling, and its penalty never even touches me. Even if I have something perishable, I have it stuck in a bundling wrap (Which is stupid that it works) or I put it in my backpack.

That and the red one looks sick.

funcap good

6 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I already find funcaps to be a pretty good item in general! With certain playstyles you can get into a nice rhythm of catching a single spore, planting it for more mushrooms, and using those for your next funcap, without having to drastically change the way you play. I do it a ton when I'm farming giant crops, since I'm tethered to base anyway and it helps give me something to do while I chill.

This really confuses me. Unless you're playing Wormwood, I don't understand why you would use living logs to produce mushrooms to make a hat that slows down hunger when you're making giant crops at base all day anyways. Hunger is barely ever an issue in the majority of circumstances. Even if you're bundling up all your veggie food is still extremely accessible in most bases even during winter and living logs...not so much. I guess in a server with a lot of people you're likely to have a few Wormwoods but little food for everyone. Maybe you're playing Wurt...?

I definitely think the hats can be useful. I personally use the greencap to make green shrooms when I'm preparing to fight fuelweaver sometimes, their combo with the mushlights is lovely, and I sometimes use the hats advantage when I'm running around the caves during summer. But I probably won't have killed Toadstool before exploring the caves to save one bacon and eggs every four days (assuming 0.75 hunger rate), so I usually rely on Klaus.

8 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Because you learn the recipes from Toadstool, a mushroom-themed boss who can spoil things quickly.

I think this buff would be fine and increase my enjoyment of them, but I also do want to say that I already find funcaps to be a pretty good item in general! With certain playstyles you can get into a nice rhythm of catching a single spore, planting it for more mushrooms, and using those for your next funcap, without having to drastically change the way you play. I do it a ton when I'm farming giant crops, since I'm tethered to base anyway and it helps give me something to do while I chill.

Also I want to note that the spoilage modifier does not affect any items in backpacks, so you can avoid it on everything except the hat itself by keeping food items in your backpack.

Funcaps are neat and I'm not really a fan of how aggressively dismissive you're being of them here. I don't think most people would consider them a "joke item" at all, and you're presenting a lot of aspects of their design as way worse than they are.

its bad

5 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

This really confuses me. Unless you're playing Wormwood, I don't understand why you would use living logs to produce mushrooms to make a hat that slows down hunger when you're making giant crops at base all day anyways. Hunger is barely ever an issue in the majority of circumstances. Even if you're bundling up all your veggie food is still extremely accessible in most bases even during winter and living logs...not so much. I guess in a server with a lot of people you're likely to have a few Wormwoods but little food for everyone. Maybe you're playing Wurt...?

Well, those living logs are going to accumulate over time just from chopping trees, and with the playstyles (remember I mentioned those) of me and a lot of the people I play with, lliving logs tend to build up over time since glass cutters and tamed Beefalo are our main weapons. In this playstyle and this specific scenario I'm describing, living logs and mushrooms that wouldn't be used are instead converted into hats that look nice, slow down hunger, and pay for themselves with one use of a bug net. I already like holding a bug net sometimes for quickly grabbing my lightbugs anyway, so I only have to go out of my way to catch and plant the spore for like 30 seconds of my gameplay.

Hunger is barely ever an issue, but that topic very quickly goes to "only ever eat meatballs" if we try to limit what's worth using for hunger. Some people would even say that farming crops isn't worth it due to meatballs + ice, but that would be silly to say wouldn't it? We're playing a video game and approaching the same challenge in a different way, because different methods are fun for us.

7 hours ago, W0l0l0 said:

I definitely think the hats can be useful. I personally use the greencap to make green shrooms when I'm preparing to fight fuelweaver sometimes, their combo with the mushlights is lovely, and I sometimes use the hats advantage when I'm running around the caves during summer. But I probably won't have killed Toadstool before exploring the caves to save one bacon and eggs every four days (assuming 0.75 hunger rate), so I usually rely on Klaus.

I recommend using the mad lab and setting up bunny huts at a sinkhole. Every 3-4 days you can collect 2-5~ Wings for a profit of 2 living logs per wing (you can collect some initial logs from mushgnomes). Collect them passively (experiment doesn't spoil) for a year and then plant them all at once since they stay at tier 3 forever. Harvest them all at once at the beginning of the year and repeat the cycle once a year. 

You can also obtain a large amounts of darkswords by summoning multiple shadow knights and killing them with gunpowder. 

The only time I find funcaps to really be used to their full potential is sailing.

Having a funcap + belt of hunger / hibearnation vest can let you sail for days without needing food. And you can keep food in a fridge on your boat so you still take it with you, but is completely unaffected by the funcap downside.

And keeping more mushrooms in your fridge means you can craft more funcaps when it gets worn out.

I feel I came off a little harsh here, I was still a little shocked at the fact mushcaps spoiled themselves faster. The downside is fine and makes sense, I use ice chester pretty much exclusively now, so it wouldn't bother me. A lot of people are saying that you can catch spores to plant more, but personally, I'd rather bundle up mushrooms and craft a hat as needed, as mushroom planters are kinda under powered imo. Living logs are weird to farm, I'm pretty sure the best way to farm them is to spend celestial idols and swap to wormwood to get a health refill. You can get 7 living logs per idol which is honestly pretty good.

2 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Living logs are weird to farm, I'm pretty sure the best way to farm them is to spend celestial idols and swap to wormwood to get a health refill. You can get 7 living logs per idol which is honestly pretty good.

Or you could go with Woodie and bring a hoard of Bunny men to devour any treeguards you come across.  Even if you were dead set on farming living logs, you could just heal him normally via healing items, sleeping, or jelly beans and then swap of him once you have gotten all of the living logs you need, or you run out of things to heal him with. There is no need to burn through alters so frivolously. 

2 hours ago, Baark0 said:

A lot of people are saying that you can catch spores to plant more, but personally, I'd rather bundle up mushrooms and craft a hat as needed, as mushroom planters are kinda under powered imo.

I mean, sure but how are going to get a sufficient amount of mushrooms for on demand fun caps if you don't use them? Sure, mushtrees can give a decent start, but the amount at which you need and the rate they reproduce is not favorable to them.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:11 AM, HowlVoid said:

Also please klei allow mushroom planters to function in winter. They should be allowed to compete with Winter crops which require only planks. This is a tier 2 science item and mushroom don't rot in winter in the wild, please. 

It makes more sense to forage rather than to farm mushrooms. It would be pretty boring if every growable resource could be farmed in arbitrary locations. In the world I am playing there is a blue cap forest next to lunar cave biome and it is nothing short of a blue cap El Dorado. Whenever mushroom caps are needed in industry scale quantity they are only one trip away from that place.

8 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

It makes more sense to forage rather than to farm mushrooms. It would be pretty boring if every growable resource could be farmed in arbitrary locations. In the world I am playing there is a blue cap forest next to lunar cave biome and it is nothing short of a blue cap El Dorado. Whenever mushroom caps are needed in industry scale quantity they are only one trip away from that place.

They can already grow in winter though, just bellow ground. All it takes is a loading screen. I think we're past the point of growing things in arbitrary locations with the introduction of RWYS. I also think out of all the farmables mushroom planters make the most sense though given their cost. Wormwood also loses sanity when chopping down mushroom trees and this item makes the most sense for him. Everyone else can just eat potatoes right from the base's farms for what a blue mushroom could offer, eat vegetable stingers for something like 300 sanity for one farm plot, and grow a years supply of hunger with pumpkins.

14 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

I mean, sure but how are going to get a sufficient amount of mushrooms for on demand fun caps if you don't use them? Sure, mushtrees can give a decent start, but the amount at which you need and the rate they reproduce is not favorable to them.

Just go to your local mushroom forest and harvest the mushrooms that pop up there. This is even easier if you have a beefalo. Get blue caps in winter/summer, green in spring, and red in summer/autumn.

Archived