Summing up the Knowledge gathering (thank you @nessumo for starting the topic :-D )

There are 10 known mutations

Spoiler

(In no particular order)

1. Easygoing 

• Minimum Radiation: +25 rads/cycle
  • Viable Temperature Range: +50%
  • Yield Amount: -25%
  • Fertilizer Usage: -50%

2. Wildish

• Fertilizer Usage: -90%
  • Life Cycle: +350%

3. Bountiful 

• Yield Amount: +100%
  • Harvest Duration: +400%
  • Light: +200 lux
  • Fertilizer Usage: +20%

4. Exuberant 

• Life Cycle: -75%
  • Fertilizer Usage: +50%
  • Bonus Crop: +4000g Rot Pile
  • Food Poisoning on crop: 10,000 germs
  • Darkness

5. Specialized

• Viable Temperature Range: -50%
  • Yield Amount: +50%

6. Superspecialized

• Viable Temperature Range: -80%
  • Yield Amount: +100%

7. Juicy Fruit

• Fertilizer Usage: +25%
  • ??Maximum OLDAGE??: -100% (plant drops fruit as soon as it matures)
  • Self-harvest On Grown

8. Blooming

• Decor: +20

9. Leafy

• Light: +1000 lux
  • Life Cycle: -50%

10. Licey

• Bonus Crop: +600 kcal Meal Lice

Any mutation can be achieved in any harvestable plant (except probably exuberant gas grass  exuberant gas grass can't grow). Except arbor tree. Arbor tree doesn't seem to produce mutant seeds.

Only -original- plants drop seeds and mutant seeds. Mutant plants don't produce any seeds (sleet wheat/nosh sprout probably drop only grains/beans and no mutants..?).

In order to achieve the max probability to drop a mutant seed (80%), the plant needs to be at its max possible radiation tolerance.

Max radiation tolerance for harvestable plants:

Spoiler

Mealwood, Bog bucket, Bristle Blossom, Dusk Cap, Thimble Reed, Balm Lily: 460 rad/cycle

Dasha Saltvine, Waterweed: 740 rad/cycle

Grubfruit, Nosh Sprout, Pincha Pepper: 980 rad/cycle

Sleet Wheat, Gas Grass: 1220 rad/cycle

Sleet wheat (and probably nosh sprout) convert all its crop to mutant. Only one mutation per crop though, not multiple.

:D Have fun exploring~ 

A couple fun facts I would like to add:

Wild seeds can be pip-planted. They will still require radiation to grow when wild, but for mutations like Exuberant that might be worth the regular growth speed with no resource cost.

Dreckos (and presumably other plant-eating critters) eat mutants the same way they eat regular plants. Since they don't care about yield amount, easygoing, exuberant and leafy allow you to feed Dreckos using much less space and fertilizer provided you can supply the needed radiation (I use sources under the plants).

52 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

IIRC Nuclear waste extrudes radiation also ? maybe a layer of nuclear waste under the natural tiles ? 

That would take a *lot* of nuclear waste. I believe 2500kg/tile? It's a lot, but I suppose it might be worthwhile since it doesn't take any maintenance...

I still do hope we get some kind of radiation lamp. Routing radbolts through farms to feed these lamps sounds like fun.

6 hours ago, Gurgel said:

What would interest me is how people provide the 25rads/sec minimum over larger crop fields without, for example, fertilizing WWs.

The way I started farming mutant seeds (and probably maintaining mutant plants in the future). A line of shine bugs above airflow tiles and below gold hydroponic tiles 

991779541_shinebugrads.thumb.PNG.6dae6cebc4f933fc40de862207a5067c.PNG

But if I remember correctly you don't really like ranching so... I should also mention, I think I saw a radiation lamp taking form in the future :wink:

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

The way I started farming mutant seeds (and probably maintaining mutant plants in the future). A line of shine bugs above airflow tiles and below gold hydroponic tiles 

Interesting. 

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

But if I remember correctly you don't really like ranching so... I should also mention, I think I saw a radiation lamp taking form in the future :wink:

At the moment, I do not. I may have overdone Drecko ranching optimization last year. Quite possibly I will start again some time in the future. Or not.

Come to think of it, what would also be a good idea is a "radbolt conduit" that removes the reach restriction in favor of a new "pipe" type. Or a "radbolt concentrator" that, say, takes two bolts and outputs one, but with full reach restored. The one thing you need for sprawling industrial areas is reach of gas, liquid, electricity, and now radbolts.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:11 PM, Gurgel said:

Come to think of it, what would also be a good idea is a "radbolt conduit" that removes the reach restriction in favor of a new "pipe" type.

I've been considering suggesting this exact, down to the name "radbolt conduit".  Feeding rabolts into an intake, through pipes, then out some sort of vent would make the radiation system less burdensome to use.  I suspect we'd see more people move away from wheezeworts and space for their source of radiation if we could pipe radbolts from the research reactor to where we need them.

21 minutes ago, robotic_gamer said:

I feel licey balm lily should probably be blacklisted too since with a passive radiation source its free food.

It's one meal lice every 12 cycles if in 25rad/cycle constantly... If you can make that overpowering, kudos! :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

It's one meal lice every 12 cycles if in 25rad/cycle constantly... If you can make that overpowering, kudos! :rolleyes:

Good point. You'd actually be better off with wild, exuberant meal lice. Or even wild licey meal lice.

On 5/24/2021 at 4:27 AM, ghkbrew said:

Exuberant gas grass is still the only blacklisted combo in the current update.

Well... Even if there is a blacklist, it doesn't seem to really matter. :rolleyes:

Although I can also confirm that exuberant gas grass is so indecisive it will stay asleep forever :lol: (sleeping - too dark, illumination - can't grow)

1706819298_exuberantgasgrass.png.23908b672634db7b02f7ae29f8da153a.png image.png.2ecad01ab94cda68bced2efb42899bdb.png

I've been mutating sleet wheat for about 400 cycles, have seen every mutation (multiple times) except for exubarent; which I'd prefer. 

Am I just unlucky or is exhubarent sleet wheat no longer an option?

5 hours ago, MrJBlacc said:

Am I just unlucky or is exhubarent sleet wheat no longer an option?

I haven't tested seeds for a while but I don't think anything changed. Sleet wheat produces more mutant seeds compared to other plants because the whole crop of 18 gives one mutation.

1 hour ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

I have two dupes with the right job skill.

Meaning farming II, right? Can they also do research? If I remember correctly they will need that too. Check what errand is requested in the botanical analyzer. Is it research or farming?

1 hour ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread further but does anyone know exactly how the genetics analysis station works?  I have one mutant bristle blossom seed sitting awaiting analysis but no one comes to do the work. I have two dupes with the right job skill. 

Its a good...and a very young necro ! :p:encouragement: Thanks for reviving.

Dr. babba - Gravitas Hallucination Manager, Isotopes Facility 159

image.thumb.png.15271b01afa0c82645071c19894d32c7.png

Archived