Please, do something with UI and scaling!

The UI show isabysmal, it shows 3 options mostly and with quite large menus and tabs huge, huge amounts of space is wasted and you are forced to constantly roll mouse wheel.

There are mods for this but they are constantly broken with updates. Almost every menu could be expanded, like, twice or thrice and save us from constant scrolling

DD99B9527AD10CB8958F2C228850734BDB8A7C1E

50 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

I was not talking about UI  scale but about how much you could fit into it.

The problem I understand there is about UI, the game is designed to fit the average screen and min-maxing is controlled only by UI scaling. That makes small monitors not able to fit all windows/menus and have readable text while in large monitors the same windows/menus seem too small. In my average-small screen, UI scaling 92%, I would say it is bearable.

50 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Egg selection interface is horrible enough

You mean the incubator's menu? Incubator could have the pedestal menu (you would still need to scroll though)

Spoiler

One more row to scroll either left-right or up-down wouldn't be bad

incubator.thumb.png.8d369be938115526253f8a872e6a1bf9.png pedestal.thumb.png.48adef3db9f950acfee28bfcfdac574e.png

51 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

it gets worse with metal forge

Metal forge ...:confused:

Metal refinery and building menus seem fine in my setup. If they where larger I would have trouble seeing/scrolling to choices at the top. (I still have trouble selecting top row of building menu if there are too many notification but if the colony runs smoothly usually there is no problem)

Spoiler

refinery.thumb.png.96e33bef4889772111ec33fbf43173a9.png

Molecular forge also seems fine for me

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bccbb6299c5d2b0d1cacbb340b5e09b5.png

Sometime ago I asked for resizable/scalable/moveable UI boxes + remember screen position + multi monitor support.

Would probably take quite some dev time and may eat some game fps :black_eyed:

The multi monitor support could be done in the way that other monitors only show dialog windows ( optionally ), to avoid total map fps collapse and big fps drain. Even the Microsoft contracted FlightSim team is still working on multi-monitor support ( for cockpit instrumentation ) for the awesome flight simulator.

I dont think it would eat fps. While you resize, move and such, okay, but when you´re done, its done. Its just another position, with other dimensions. There is no real difference between "draw a box, 10x10 at coordinates X:Y, and draw a box with 8x15 at coordinates x+5:y-2". Its a box at a give pos. Thats it.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:08 PM, Technoincubus said:

The UI show is abysmal, it shows 3 options mostly and with quite large menus and tabs huge, huge amounts of space is wasted and you are forced to constantly roll mouse wheel.

There are mods for this but they are constantly broken with updates. Almost every menu could be expanded, like, twice or thrice and save us from constant scrolling

DD99B9527AD10CB8958F2C228850734BDB8A7C1E

I don't see the problem here.

44 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Ok, I'll explain it with picture;

y8NFTBC.png

Three times more options to click. Three times less scrolling. Zero effort.

It's quite nice idea (especially for those with large screens) - I'm kind of interested where the zero effort came from tho.
Are you experienced in UI development/experienced UxD designer?

From my experience making UI's wheter home grown system, Win32 API, Forms, XAML or iOS variety... is quite far from zero effort.

7 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

It's quite nice idea (especially for those with large screens) - I'm kind of interested where the zero effort came from tho.
Are you experienced in UI development/experienced UxD designer?

From my experience making UI's wheter home grown system, Win32 API, Forms, XAML or iOS variety... is quite far from zero effort.

True, changes often have lots of dependencies and consequences. From a gamers point of view things may seem to be simple to change.

19 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Three times more options to click. Three times less scrolling. Zero effort.

yeah, I'd like that. Plants suffer from similar problem and they could use that too.

For sure, when there are more than 9 eggs/plants you would need scroll a little, but still it would be better than having only 3 items at once.

It's not the most important thing at the moment, but it would be nice to have that

Scrolling UI and messy shortcuts is what kills the game for me now. It's really hard to go from "what I want" to "done" part. Every time it requires tons of unecessery scrolling, pointing and clicking. Another example is schedule menu, I have schedule per dupe (or two) and it's very difficult to paint them. Just making this menu bigger would help a lot. I really would welcome improvements in this area, otherwise even though I love DLC it's really hard to enjoy it because most time is spent on scrolling.

p.s. Thanks for the mod! Helps a lot!

On 5/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, pether said:

yeah, I'd like that. Plants suffer from similar problem and they could use that too.

For sure, when there are more than 9 eggs/plants you would need scroll a little, but still it would be better than having only 3 items at once.

It's not the most important thing at the moment, but it would be nice to have that

Yup, this is my main complaint.

Pedestal does not have this problem.

Seeds So Wide.png

14 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well, I guess there finally is a reason why I may want more than FullHD. 

It's not really about screen resolution. UI can scale, the problem is it doesn't stretch if there is enough space.

Some windows are also very strange, for example skills UI opens full screen however skills never fit nor can be zoomed like research tree, yet I think you could easily design it in a way that all skills fit on one screen.

Archived