Late game Wortox players

To any late game Wortox players, what's the long term plan for food? To me, it seems like he'd be really high maintenance, since you cant bundle souls, can only get souls by killing things, and can only carry 20 at a time, and since food is only half as good on him, bundling up food is less efficient. So what's the plan? This has pretty much been the only thing stopping me from playing Wortox late game, since the convenience of bundling up several stacks of food to last several seasons at a time is frequently something I do, and Wortox not being able to do so (as efficiently) has been keeping me away from trying him out lategame.

I am not an avid wortox player, but I wonder, if you catch some butterfly and kill them in your inventory, will you receive its soul? If so, it can be a nice way to carry more souls

2 minutes ago, Lil K said:

I am not an avid wortox player, but I wonder, if you catch some butterfly and kill them in your inventory, will you receive its soul? If so, it can be a nice way to carry more souls

yes, actually i always plant few flowers near the kitchen to have easy access to souls meanwhile i cook and the wings can be used as filler

I don't play Wortox but I would see his downside as being roughly equivalent to Wolfgangs: Just eat more.

Whether your hunger drains faster or you get less from food doesn't need to affect how you combat the downside. In terms of just hunger Wortox' downside is less severe than Wolfgang's. The bottom line is they both need to eat much more food than others.

So bundling up food is not less efficient but *more* efficient on characters that need to eat more stuff. Spending a bunch of ropes doesn't seem like a big investment (didn't do the math). But food mass production and bundling makes these kinds of characters less reliant on constantly gathering/hunting.

Once you have a good meat source, like volt goat pens and/or werepig farms, you could use the meat to make Meaty Stews. You only get 75 hunger as Wortox, which will last you a day, so it's the most amount of hunger you can get out of a crockpot dish. Some may argue that it would be more efficient to make three meatballs instead, which is true, so you could do meatballs as well.

However, in the late game, you should have very easy and fast soul sources, like spider dens nearby or patches of flowers for butterflies, and it's much faster and easier just to eat the souls of those mobs. Dealing with the insanity is easy, and if you don't you don't want to deal with the nightmare creatures there is probably a very easy sanity source nearby. My personal favorite source is bees. Just have something like 9 bee boxes close to your base and collect the honey and kill the bees for souls. Bees are very easy to kill and there will be a lot of them. A combination of honey and souls will cover your hunger and health needs easily. You could also put 1 meat, 1 monster meat, and 2 honey for Honey Ham which is a pretty good dish, even for Wortox. I personally like to stack up on souls and honey, eat to full, and max out souls right after. You will have enough souls and honey for another 7 -10 days (depending on the amount of bee boxes), and after that it's not too hard to go get more. 

The only time I ever make Ice cream is as Wortox haha. 

Having an morning star handy will guarantee the Volgoat is charged when it dies. Easy sanity dish late game and allows you to eat lots souls for hunger.

Heres a strat if you have access to the bramble husk- bundle 20 butterflies for souls for later. When you want souls release a killer bee and time the bee stinging you as the butterflies are let loose from the bundle (you'll get used to the timing). The bramble husk will trigger and kill all of the butterflies at once. 

What I've seen some late game Wortox players do, is to just get a convenient source of sanity (mostly bees for taffy or jelly salad, but any other works) and then having a spider nest surrounded 5 bunnymen in an enclosed pen somewhere.
Wortox can just stroll near that area every 5 or 6 days, collect souls passively from the war, eat souls until almost full while stockpiling some souls for eating later, complete his diet with sanity restoring food, then keep with their lives.

For away-from-base trips, they tend to have a bundle with a stack of meatballs, or meaty stews.

Also unless you enjoy a very passive basebuilding experience, souls will go to you whether you want it or not: in the form of hounds, seasonal bosses, depth worms and treeguards. All you need as Wortox is sanity restoring food, really.

13 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

What I've seen some late game Wortox players is to just get a convenient source of sanity (mostly bees for taffy or jelly salad, but any other works) and then having a spider nest surrounded 5 bunnymen in an enclosed pen somewhere.
Wortox can just stroll near that area every 2 and half days, collect souls passively from the war, eat souls until almost full, complete his diet with sanity restoring food, then keep with their lives. For away-from-base trips, they tend to have a bundle with a stack of meatballs, or meaty stews.

Also unless you enjoy a very passive basebuilding experience, souls will go to you whether you want it or not: in the form of hounds, seasonal bosses, depth worms and treeguards. All you need as Wortox is sanity restoring food, really.

I never tried this but standing next to a tree guard (or several) with BQ hat on should provide fast sanity boost right?

24 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I never tried this but standing next to a tree guard (or several) with BQ hat on should provide fast sanity boost right?

It does, but Wortox has actually half sanity aura from bosses mobs etc. I'm not sure if it impacts the BQ crown but it would be logical if it did.

Only getting back into the game with friends recently, but while exploring the ruins I remembered about the Belt of Hunger item that would probably be great for a Wortox going places and which should be easy to upkeep with sewing kits with silk and teeth by the boatload by the lategame.

On 5/13/2021 at 10:37 PM, Lil K said:

Yep, I've never done it but an experienced and ambitious Wortox can use caught mob like butterflies and bees to squeeze in more souls beyond the 20 cap for whatever they're doing, especially dangerous expeditions or fighting a boss.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:37 AM, Lil K said:

Killer bees are a lot easier to amass so that's what people usually use for carrying extra souls. But souls are only 18.75 hunger each and bees only stack to 20, so a full 4 slot bundling wrap of nothing but bees would only be 1 season of food.

On 5/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, Baark0 said:

To any late game Wortox players, what's the long term plan for food? To me, it seems like he'd be really high maintenance, since you cant bundle souls, can only get souls by killing things, and can only carry 20 at a time, and since food is only half as good on him, bundling up food is less efficient. So what's the plan? This has pretty much been the only thing stopping me from playing Wortox late game, since the convenience of bundling up several stacks of food to last several seasons at a time is frequently something I do, and Wortox not being able to do so (as efficiently) has been keeping me away from trying him out lategame.

He's not particularly good past the earlygame since his downsides get exaggerated while his upsides get mitigated, but you could make a pig farm, combine that with something like a spider farm, maybe even throw in a goat farm for good measure, and just bundle a bunch of meaty stew. It'd be a bit on the expensive side, but it stacks to 40 so if you could get enough of it it'd work.

You could also switch to Wormwood (or just do it slower as someone else), make a ton of pumpkins, and bundle those up. They'd restore the same hunger as a soul but if you cook them you can stack twice as many per slot.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, clickrush said:

Also works with the sleeping hound traps!

25 minutes ago, 1moregame said:

Isn’t that just a bee bomb?  Opening a bundling wrap of bees would result in tragedy. 

Oh that's right it slipped my mind. Can't bundle them at all, another reason it wouldn't be a good long-term food source.

Archived