[Game Update] - 460672

• Developer

Hello everyone, in conjunction with today's Spaced Out! update, here's a patch for the base version of the game to fix a few issues. Take care!

•     Fixed missing strings on various status effects
  •     Updated Steamworks API
  •     Don't spawn more germs than are present for falling water, fixes germ duplication (detail)
  •     Updated all translations

View full update

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  •     Fixed missing strings on various status effects

View full update

Yes! While funny for a minute, this quickly became old because I had to remember what each missing string was supposed to be. For example, the cramped (or whatever it is when there are too many eggs in a room) debuff on critters had a missing string, so I had to think about it for a minute before I remembered that it blocked them from laying more eggs.

1 hour ago, 2tallyGr8 said:

Yes! While funny for a minute, this quickly became old

Pretty much, I did some bug reports on those and hopefully can get some "fixed" status on them... I can also confirm that cramped and farmer's touch have been repaired.

Now, hear me out, if only some more actual research were put into the vanishing steam problem we'd all be happy campers. I'll admit it happens less often, but the ghost of it still rears its ugly face from time to time.

Edit: fixed a bit.
TLDR: Moar fixes, yay.

Edited by JRup
venting fixed
  • Like 1

@EricKlei Sure will.

This is by no means a comprehensive breakdown of the problem. There are more seasoned players that have been in contact with it for more time than me, however.

That said, there is this issue where we get steam deletion in a single gas environment (steam) in the steam chambers for steam turbines.

This happens even in the most "cookie cutter" arrangements where we vent the water back into the chamber below the steam turbine for re-heating/evaporating. There is no current need to use petroleum as a conductive layer.

So for example, a chamber that at some point had 3-4Kg of steam per tile will surprisingly be left with less than 100g at some point in time.

The (not so) recent updates to the game engine have helped in that this happens less often. But it has not stopped.

Right now all my steam turbine builds must include an atmo sensor and an additional refill loop to compensate for the occasional inconvenience of this happening.

Just not long ago I've had to do some fixing on this one where I'd forgotten to add that extra supply:

2127058744_ccturbinebuild.thumb.png.ab5166d624fcc563b30ec2207f179ec0.png

As pictured, there are no fancy arrangements, just a liquid vent that recycles the water back from the turbine's output. Yet somehow, steam is sometimes lost. There is a liquid lock right next to the door and dupes never go to the chamber, unless some build is queued.

I really can't seem to pinpoint actual causes for this happening, so for now it is a random event and cannot be constantly/reliably reproduced. I would have otherwise submitted a bug report.

Related threads are popping up less often. So I guess it's looking up from that alone, but I'll leave the automated notifiers on the loop and keep incorporating refillers as part of the play style...

Edited by JRup
Readability fix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EricKlei said:

Could you clarify what you mean

If you want more examples, with more recent posts, from the forums, reddit, and/or discord, I'm sure I could gather a rather large collection.  I hope these are enough to start on the endeavor. I have given up on trying to isolate and perfectly identify this one. 

1 hour ago, JRup said:

Related threads are popping up less often.

I think people just gave up on trying to fix it. It's still there, and happens in seemingly unpredictable ways.  My guess is to isolate this bug may require access to the physics engine code, which is not currently made available in any simple way.  There are a few threads here on the forums about decompiling this, but I've decided to not head that route. 

If the devs want someone to dig into this and are willing to give them code access, I bet there are dozens of forum users who would leap at the opportunity and possibly solve it quite rapidly. 

• Like 2

• Developer

Thanks for the detailed explanation and links. Do either of you know if it also happens on Spaced Out! after the February 18th update? It's possible that it was fixed along with the wrong element bug though I'm not confident in that assertion. This is one of the bugs mentioned in your thread @mathmanican.

Technical details of the wrong element bug:

Spoiler

It was caused by using the wrong element data to state transition when liquid/gas was displaced. Example: a CO2 geyser's emission cell contains chlorine gas, the geyser displaces the chlorine gas and emits CO2 into the cell. Prior to the bug fix it would incorrectly use the chlorine gas's information (i.e. SHC, state transition temperature and target) while using the current mass/temperature of the cell. Since the CO2's temperature was below the low transition point of chlorine gas it turned into liquid chlorine. 

Fixing this bug changed the dynamics of steam turbine setup slightly. The water drop now uses the correct SHC and it state transitions a sim frame earlier.

Note that the bug fix mentioned here and others will be available in the base game once we finish merging the codebases.

• Thanks 2

Note that the bug fix mentioned here and others will be available in the base game once we finish merging the codebases.

I'm being devilishly tempted to do a more prolonged run on the DLC... I'm far, very far from having any kind of performance close to that of speedrunners, it's on the other side of the spectrum, as a matter of fact. An advantage is that the builds I get through that are more oriented to actual gameplay rather than what I whip up via sandbox/debug and testing is continuous so there's that.

So news would eventually come, I guess.

Edited by JRup

Do either of you know if it also happens on Spaced Out! after the February 18th update?

I haven't purchased the DLC yet so cannot test. Education has been a crazy industry this last year with little spare time. 

@ghkbrew can you confirm and test if this bug has been eliminated?

• Sad Dupe 1

:congratulatory: Yeah, sometimes one needs a nice self-present, to achieve a new bit of happiness. Just got the chips out, the gassy moo steak will arrive later...Have fun dear @mathmanican ...The Terra DLC Classic map is really a great experience, how I find. Super fun ! Still haven`t built the fat reactor in the game, I`m soooooo looking forward to it in survival mode :ghost:

Edited by babba
  • GL Happy 1

Evil influencer babba strikes again!

13 minutes ago, babba said:

Just got the chips out, the gassy moo steak will arrive later

Make sure to deglaze the iron pan with some ethanol for the sauce, spice up the steak with some table salt and a dash o' pincha peppernut and you're set...

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, JRup said:

Evil influencer babba strikes again!

Make sure to deglaze the iron pan with some ethanol for the sauce, spice up the steak with some table salt and a dash o' pincha peppernut and you're set...

Noooooooo, Ive been called Influenza ! Now I will be in MagmaHell 4ever, at the bottom of the map :lol:

ONI Baal will haunt me every day ! I like your meal preparation suggestions, I have now changed to ice cold fridge choco caramel flake`s...But its not the "flaking" of what you and @mathmanican often talk about :calm: Mine is much more choco !

Edited by babba
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, EricKlei said:

it also happens on Spaced Out! after the February 18th

I was able to replicate steam deletion in Spaced Out. I can't identify exactly what causes it, but I seem to have more luck reproducing it upon save/load and with automation. 

image.thumb.png.ed7be530db13be2d18a8aa72b74b8dba.png

The right turbine has lost over 6kg of steam (it's on a 10/10 timer) after several save/load cycles. 

When exactly the loss occurs, I didn't track.  I just wanted to verify that I can force steam to disappear.  If the dev team is ready to track it down now, I might be game for spending more time debugging as well.  We can carry on the discussion in a bug report. Let me know if/where/when you want to discuss it. 

Edited by mathmanican
  • Thanks 2
  • Wavey 1

• Developer
14 hours ago, mathmanican said:

If the dev team is ready to track it down now, I might be game for spending more time debugging as well.  We can carry on the discussion in a bug report. Let me know if/where/when you want to discuss it. 

Thanks for confirming. Fixing bugs like these tend to be quite time consuming so I'm unable to focus on it at the moment but let's start a discussion on a bug report. Go ahead and start one and I'll contribute what I know about how the sim works. Hopefully we can find a way to reliably reproduce it so I can debug the specific moment it happens or at least narrow it down a bit.

• Thanks 2
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1

@EricKlei and @klei.ruby

The problem with this bug is that is cannot be reliably reproduced.  The same save file, when opened repeatedly, will sometimes proc the bug, and sometimes not. It behaves unreliably.  That's why I have stopped trying hunt this one down.

I will work towards producing two save files that record things before the bug hits, and after it hits.  Unfortunately, there will probably be a 10-20 second lag between the save files (not two frames), as I have to let things run, and then settle, to notice the bug occur.  There are videos of the bug in action in the prior reports, but opening the same save file that produced the bug was not guaranteed to produce it again. 

I can continue posting to the same bug report that @sheaker began, or we can start another and link to it.  Which do you prefer?  I'll work later tonight on producing some before after save files for ya on the spaced out DLC.

2 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Fixing bugs like these tend to be quite time consuming

Yep.  I completely understand.  I've spent a few hundred hours (or more) myself narrowing bugs down in ONI. :) It's been a fun diversion over the last few years. Thank you for providing it. 

Edited by mathmanican

New bug report added.  I just opened the save from last night 3 times, and on the 3rd opening the bug hit.  I lost over 130kg of steam in one cycle. The bug report includes cycle 5 and cycle 6 saves.  Of course, when I then reopen cycle 6, the bug no longer occurs (on my first reopen). This is the problem with identifying this bug, namely as players we don't have enough control over the system variables of the game to isolate and reproduce the bug.  I can guarantee you that it occurs.

• Like 7