Wonderful people, wonderful people everywhere.

Willow was an abused child haunted by shadows. Walter a dear boy who was a scout. Wendy a poor child who has lost her twin, Wes a pious and just soul who helped anyone, Winona a hardworking worker who sacrifices herself for her sister. Wortox a playful, Woodie a nice Canadian, etc, etc. In short, squalid or malevolent people do not exist, what a wonderful world.

Just now, minespatch said:

What is Wilson's qualities? His puns?

I hope they keep Wilson neutral; without ever discovering a side full of pity or love for one's neighbor. Wilson is perfect as the archetype of the scientist, detached from moral judgment and eager to discover the mystery behind phenomenal nature; regardless of the consequences. Already Maxwell is tragically sweetened, even Wilson no, please ... :wilson_bearded:

17 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

Willow was an abused child haunted by shadows. Walter a dear boy who was a scout. Wendy a poor child who has lost her twin, Wes a pious and just soul who helped anyone, Winona a hardworking worker who sacrifices herself for her sister. Wortox a playful, Woodie a nice Canadian, etc, etc. In short, squalid or malevolent people do not exist, what a wonderful world.

This is most likely the case, because the real world in this game is presented in the form of a kind of utopia. The real world doesn't try to be cruel. In contrast to it, there is a world in which the survivors are kept. This is a rather banal trick to show the contrast.
About the characters.. Well, I wouldn't say that many of them are wonderful. Each of them has their own fears, past failures, and different actions. Moreover, we know a little about their lives. No one knows what they've been through. Each character has a beginning, growth, culmination of growth, awareness, flowering of character, and so on in a new way. Almost all the characters in the game have this tactic followed, which makes them all look like real people. Do you really think that in the real world there can't be the same Wes? Believe me, I even know such people! They look like living characters that actually exist. Except for Walter.. Walter is too cheerful and too insensitive to everything... This makes him different from other survivors who have their own problems and personal development.

5 minutes ago, Russian_Philin said:

This is most likely the case, because the real world in this game is presented in the form of a kind of utopia. The real world doesn't try to be cruel. In contrast to it, there is a world in which the survivors are kept. This is a rather banal trick to show the contrast.
About the characters.. Well, I wouldn't say that many of them are wonderful. Each of them has their own fears, past failures, and different actions. Moreover, we know a little about their lives. No one knows what they've been through. Each character has a beginning, growth, culmination of growth, awareness, flowering of character, and so on in a new way. Almost all the characters in the game have this tactic followed, which makes them all look like real people. Do you really think that in the real world there can't be the same Wes? Believe me, I even know such people! They look like living characters that actually exist. Except for Walter.. Walter is too cheerful and too insensitive to everything... This makes him different from other survivors who have their own problems and personal development.

I disagree with this analysis, they all seem to be commendable people; knowing little about their lives, they all look wonderful; people who have suffered injustice and abuse, never really responsible for their misfortunes. I find this terribly childish.

Maxwell and Wilson are currently the only exceptions, and Klei go to great lengths to make Maxwell less machiavellian and ambiguous ...

2 minutes ago, Russian_Philin said:

Except for Walter.. Walter is too cheerful and too insensitive to everything... This makes him different from other survivors who have their own problems and personal development.

I mean he is a child, a curious one, and children are often cheerful and curious. I was once kinda like him. He'll eventually grow old and realize that the world isn't just all rainbows and glitters. He'll get punched in the gut by reality, just wait.

Just now, Fridgetty said:

Voglio dire, è un bambino, un curioso, e i bambini sono spesso allegri e curiosi. Una volta ero un po 'come lui. Alla fine invecchierà e si renderà conto che il mondo non è solo arcobaleno e luccichio. Verrà preso a pugni nello stomaco dalla realtà, aspetta.

This thing about stupid children not realizing the danger is another fairy tale ... If this were really the case, human beings would have long since become extinct. Children are afraid of a lot of irrational things, like the dark. They are ancestral fears that we carry with us because our simian ancestors survived thanks to fear. Walter is absolutely out of his mind as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler

Oh so everything needs to be dark and angsty to be interesting?

Warly's mother is most likely dead, or remembered her son that is now gone. Willow caused countless fires, probably killed the orphanage owners and was a street wanderer for most of her life. Webber was probably the only child on the farm and received barely any attention and then got sent to constant and then got eaten by a spider and then got turned into the hybrid he's now. 

You know, it's kind of easier to relate to characters when they aren't huge assholes. Wx is the exception of course, we all hate humans. Considering how little we actually know about the characters... Well. 'Wonderful people everywhere'. Yeah, bc that's the world I would like to live in. Instead, I live here. Let me have a moment of peace, in the virtual one, where people aren't incredibly douchebags and don't make me want to pull their teeth out. 

What a weird complaint to have.

1 minute ago, Pop Guy said:

This thing about stupid children not realizing the danger is another fairy tale ... If this were really the case, human beings would have long since become extinct. Children are afraid of a lot of irrational things, like the dark. They are ancestral fears that we carry with us because our simian ancestors survived thanks to fear. Walter is absolutely out of his mind as far as I'm concerned.

If i were to see a giant deer and cyclops mutation running at me, imagining it all as a crazy weird dream or fiction would be my coping mechanism. Everytime he gets hurt, he realizes it not all fairytale-ish and everything is real. He's trapped in there, he's just denying it like how humans tend to go into denial when something wrong happens.

2 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

I disagree with this analysis, they all seem to be commendable people; knowing little about their lives, they all look wonderful; people who have suffered injustice and abuse, never really responsible for their misfortunes. I find this terribly childish.

Maxwell and Wilson are currently the only exceptions, and Klei go to great lengths to make Maxwell less machiavellian and ambiguous ...

Yes, I understand that everyone has their own point of view on this issue. And you are also right that the characters of the survivors have become a bit one-lineal, that is, they do not have the versatility of the same Maxwell. But on the other hand, we need more details to draw conclusions. We need the situations and details of their lives to understand what their moral values and goals in life are. But we don't really know their characters 100%, so it's best not to judge them by their characters just yet.
In any case, I was pleased to hear your opinion, but I will remain with my opinion until the next details from the developers.

9 minutes ago, Fridgetty said:

I mean he is a child, a curious one, and children are often cheerful and curious. I was once kinda like him. He'll eventually grow old and realize that the world isn't just all rainbows and glitters. He'll get punched in the gut by reality, just wait.

In general, this is quite strange. He is already a teenager, and curious as if he is 3-5 years old. It looks very reckless.

9 minutes ago, Russian_Philin said:

He is already a teenager, and curious as if he is 3-5 years old. It looks very reckless.

Walter might have Autism. Due to slow reaction times. I know growing up, I was labeled as autistic from psychologists when I was young due to my reaction times.

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Walter might have Autism. Due to slow reaction times. I know growing up, I was labeled as autistic from psychologists when I was young due to my reaction times.

Hmm, interesting. This is the first time I've heard this.. But this is very interesting information.
Well, I don't know.. I'm not sure if he might have autism, though.. Everything can be...

Honestly reading Walter's quotes for things he comes off as more of a lonely kid who tries to see good in everything and it's clear he has fears mostly of the clown and bee variety.

As for Willow she doesn't seem to be the nicest person or safe to be around infact she would probably be the survivor I'd be most afraid to live with.

4 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

Wx could be a malovent character, it's always been a chaotic evil one.

The world is a pretty cruel place for them, both the constant and the "real world". They're good people by nature but also victims of fate. A lot of them use unhealthy coping mechanisms like Willow's pyromania, Wendy's obsession with grief, Wigfrid losing herself in fiction.

Archived