How do people feel about the concept of loot worlds?

Hi there. Lately I've been interested in the concept a few streamers/content creators have been doing, usually dubbed "loot worlds".

For anyone unfamiliar with what a loot world is, it's basically a world that isn't what you initially generated with that you raid for loot. This normally isn't possible by default, but you can make it work fairly easily with a dedicated server and/or knowledge about how shards work. In particular, most people target the cave shard as their swap shard, as it isn't the master one and can be swapped without much issue. For instance, if you wanted to make a forest world for some extra ananemys, you can produce a forest world and quickly swap out your cave shard with this forest, which will give all of your cave entrances in the world access to the new forest world. After you are done looting the world, you can return to your main shard and swap the "cave" shards again without issue.

Obviously, this can lead to a lot of unfair advantages, particularly with nonrenewable or hard-to-renew resources. This can vary from person to person. From my stance, I don't like taking anything that can already be renewed by default, but I will take things that are not, such as ananemys, fancy berry bushes (the ones in pig villages), fossil fragments, and archive turf. While Klei will likely try making these resources renewable at one point, they currently are not at the moment, and the only ways to realistically get more are to use console/gen loot worlds, and the latter feels more "fair" to me. It also gives me a bit of a nostalgic taste moving around an unexplored map, similar to world hopping in DS, which I always enjoyed.

Spoiler

Bonus: First loot world I generated for ananemys, and it also basically proved how much I despise the random nature of ananemys on the map...
image0.png
image0.png
(For comparison, my original world netted me ~40, and some of my friends have gotten closer to around 60.)

if someone just want to make a very huge base after beating the survival aspect of the game without having to grind that much, who cares

the people who do it have no trouble beating beequeen for extra honeycomps so instead of beating her 3423 times they go there

or people who dont use berry bushes as food source that want them for decoration

edit: also, as op pointed, is similar to the old world hopping

When I think about it I feel like "oh I could leave my main world a little more untouched and pretty", as usually I mine all rocks/glass clean until nothing is left on moon island and other places. Actually SW and HAM are definitely created for looting, same goes for ROG and caves, but as these have less special features (treasures). While DST world has some regrowth mechanic, as is supposed to work long-term...
But now I want to try it and loot moon island once again.

40 minutes ago, Notecja said:

When I think about it I feel like "oh I could leave my main world a little more untouched and pretty", as usually I mine all rocks/glass clean until nothing is left on moon island and other places. Actually SW and HAM are definitely created for looting, same goes for ROG and caves, but as these have less special features (treasures). While DST world has some regrowth mechanic, as is supposed to work long-term...
But now I want to try it and loot moon island once again.

about the moon, im starting to dont mine any glass in the moon unless is from hot springs in my recent worlds. You can get +40 from the new biome and let your moon island pretty

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

about the moon, im starting to dont mine any glass in the moon unless is from hot springs in my recent worlds. You can get +40 from the new biome and let your moon island pretty

image.png.00045a7f48fe332df99731d9e825c6f6.png

Smoll brain time, sigh

as someone who is a staunch conservationist in his long-term worlds i think this is certainly an option if you can make it work for you though i thought that it became unviable to swap second shards past day one. it used to be if the day count didnt match up on both the over and under they'd not work properly

I don't really have a beef with them since yeah, it pretty much is world hopping with a multiplayer flair.

I think it would be interesting to see how games would progress if the shard swap was permanent, so you had access to two different overworlds but gave up the caves in their entirety (or vice versa), maybe spawning in a pseudoscience & terra firma station too or leaving them out so Winoa uses all those gems lol. I think it would be fun to see how the game progresses with some resources suddenly becoming much more plentiful and others becoming exceedingly rare, and whether groups would split between the servers or megabase on one of them and use the other only for resources.

That sounds really cumbersome, awkward, and ugly. If I really needed unrenewable items that badly I'd see if there was a mod to get them in a better way, and if there wasn't I'd probably just make ritualistic sacrifices using console commands the law of equivalent exchange.

I mean, it's kind of possible in DS with DLC's already, so if people want to do it for their own enjoyment, why not? As long as it's not considered "meta" and gets me laughed at for not doing it, it's none of my business whether you make copies of the world to use or use commands, or mods.

Archived