Alternative grass source and Summer difficulty

By far the most essential yet difficult resource to get when starting in Summer particularly is grass, second to which is nitre. If you start in Summer and stay on surface, both of these resources you can really only get from the meteor areas and tumbleweeds in desert. One idea is to add another grass resource variant, the Grassy Trees in Savanna biomes which would shed grass as they grow or could be chopped for grass and replanted for more.

Really feels like this season as a whole should be less challenging. Winter is a cool challenge and gives you new stuff to work with, but Summer is just hated in general besides living through it in caves, even with the good stuff you can get only during this season on surface, and that's in part because in winter you can just burn a tree to heat up and stay warm for up to a minute with nothing on you, while in Summer you don't have an option as easy as that. May be you would not overheat or have plants wither normally unless there is a heatwave happening, which could be intermittent like rain in Spring and items like the Ice Cube could be made better and more reliable if you gathered the ice (slower wetness gain, no speed reduction).

I think you also mixed up the starting items for Spring and Summer. You get straw hat for Spring, but pretty parasol for Summer. Both work for both seasons, but clearly Straw Hat is more valuable, fitting and needed for Summer than the Pretty Parasol, and the same for the parasol in Spring (bar the valuable part). You don't need to gather any grass to get one for the season and can use whirly fan as well, but the parasol just ruins that option unless you started near the end of Spring. The hat also takes 12 grass to craft, which is a hefty price when you can't even gather a single one in your vicinity.

I think an alternative of twiggy tree but for grass would work fine, and they should be on regrow table. They will produce grass and driftwood(maybe) in summer if you chop them, and only start naturally growing in every biome if any player discover lunar.

You want the game balance to be adjusted because you like intentionally starting in the hardest season and don't like that that makes the game harder? Summer doesn't happen until you've been playing for nearly 8 hours, of course it's hard.

4 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

You get straw hat for Spring, but pretty parasol for Summer. Both work for both seasons, but clearly Straw Hat is more valuable

What? The pretty parasol has twice as much overheating protection as the straw hat.

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You want the game balance to be adjusted because you like intentionally starting in the hardest season and don't like that that makes the game harder? Summer doesn't happen until you've been playing for nearly 8 hours, of course it's hard.

Tbh, spring is 10 times harder to start than summer.
Rain in early spring basically set temperature back to winter.
It also drain sanity.
Additional Frog rain.
Fire last less because of rain.

For summer all you need is to go down a cave and all problem got solved.

45 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Tbh, spring is 10 times harder to start than summer.
Rain in early spring basically set temperature back to winter.
It also drain sanity.
Additional Frog rain.
Fire last less because of rain.

For summer all you need is to go down a cave and all problem got solved.

For spring all you need to do is craft a pretty parasol. Or a thermal stone. Or a campfire. Or a rain coat. Or a rain hat. Or an umbrella. Or a torch, you can literally just set trees on fire to make it through spring.

Spring is clearly not harder or this thread wouldn't be here. Spring doesn't kill plants. Spring can't be ignored with things as simple as logs and twigs. Spring doesn't start dangerous fires. Spring doesn't need you to either rush into building research stations so you can regulate your temperature or change your entire playstyle and be forced into entirely different content.

Plus, ruins rushing is harder than just standing next to a fire in the rain, so even if you go underground if you want to be productive it's still going to be a lot more difficult.

P.S. Being underground 24/7 drains a lot more sanity than just starting in spring. You'll lose at least 600 sanity over the summer just from being in the caves, and that's not even counting the sanity drain from all the bad food you'll likely be eating (monster meat, lichen, green/bluecaps), abundant monsters underground, or darkness if your torches go out without spares.

28 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Plus, ruins rushing is harder than just standing next to a fire in the rain, so even if you go underground if you want to be productive it's still going to be a lot more difficult.

Wait you comparing "ruin rush summer" to "stay above ground and afk spring"?
Try ruin rush + fresh join in early spring, that where hardcore dst is.

Just now, Tranoze said:

Wait you comparing ruin rush summer to stay above ground spring and afk?

What?

1 minute ago, Tranoze said:

Try ruin rush + fresh join in early spring, that where hardcore dst is.

About a billion times easier than rushing ruins in mid winter. Spring is only barely harder than doing it in autumn.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

What?

Hey here what you said:

32 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

ruins rushing is harder than just standing next to a fire in the rain

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

About a billion times easier than rushing ruins in mid winter. Spring is only barely harder than doing it in autumn.

In mid winter there normally no rain, so any type of fire + heat source will last longer for you compare to raining in spring. And without 100% wetness protection if you really do a rush, early spring is basically hardness of winter + constant wetness, so how winter without rain is harder than winter with rain?

1 minute ago, Tranoze said:

Hey here what you said:

Because that's how you warm up from being cold? When it becomes winter in your world do you just AFK next to a fire for 2 hours?

2 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

In mid winter there normally no rain, so any type of fire + heat source will last longer for you compare to raining in spring. And without 100% wetness protection if you really do a rush, early spring is basically hardness of winter + constant wetness, so how winter without rain is harder than winter with rain?

what

Just now, Cheggf said:

what

Campfire + firepit + torch run out of fuel faster when it raining.
And the spring im talking about is in dedicated server which that always start in autumn, not fresh day 1 spring in world gen (which is basically autumn) where you can easily get pigskins to make umbrella. Only two good way to reduce wetness: wear parasol next to a tree + campfire, or kill tentacles for rain coat.
The temperature also got effected by previous winter, and if you are in cave you will randomly get lower than 0 degree and take damage.

im not sure but to make rain nothing you just need a strawhat and the flower umbrella and stand under a tree to actualy lose wet points and if any fire is there you will dry out fast while in summer you need to first find some rocks to get nitre and gold to even prototype a cold fire not only that in summer plants dry out and you may not get grass and sticks at all alsol it is not all time raining durin spring and frog rain is not realy a proplem you can just avoid the frogs or if something else is there the frogs are goin to war whit the bees whit the pigs or even the beefs so frogs are not realy a proplem and summer? sure you can go to cave and just try gettin food from all those bunnys whit nothing in hand because you go faster in caves then bein able to even first get gold or lets say your computer is bad and cant run caves what now? will you just try find nitre and spamm cold fires everywhere? trying to make base durin summer? whitout a ice machine? and maybe antlion gettin anoying holes everywhere? sure spring must be way harder then summer in EVERYWAY there is

15 hours ago, ZombieDupe said:

Grassy Trees in Savanna biomes which would shed grass as they grow or could be chopped for grass and replanted for more.

at first i hated this idea because not only did it sound stupid but you completely ignore grass geckos but I also though about what the tree's would actually look like and thought it might be cool

Spoiler

Grass Tree, Blue Grass Tree | Designer Trees Australia

this is what an actual grass tree looks like

Spoiler

Buy affordable Weeping Willow trees at our online nursery. Arbor Day  Foundation - Buy trees, rain forest friendly coffee, greeting cards that  plant trees, memorials and celebrations with trees, and more.

but I could also see them looking like this which I prefer 

Summer starts are more tedious than difficult imo. You can avoid heatstroke by ducking under a tree for the majority of the season, and for the rest you can just chill out underground for that day or two. There's a lot of cheap heat insulation gear you don't need science for (and can mostly ignore due to aforementioned trees), and you don't even need resources to avoid heatstroke at the peak of summer since most of the sinkholes by spawn are open that late into a game. Survival doesn't take much.

Summer's the worst season for bases and staying put in an area for obvious reasons but is just...slow in my experience of being a new join without a base. A lot of the mechanics just punish you for trying to build a base up and force you to forage for more food because of the faster perish time.

Honestly I would say Spring is probably the "harder" of the two simply because it actually costs resources to manage whereas most of summer problems are solved by finding a tree, whereas Spring is akshually totally different since you need a tree AND like three other things to solve most of the problems. You're going to have to pick flowers to keep some sort of an umbrella up because good luck finding pigskin joining late lmao, you're going to have to waste grass on a hat, and you need to make additional campfires to dry off under a tree and not freeze if you've accumulated any wetness. Frog rain is a "move around or die" event too which kinda sucks to have on top of all that lol.

I wouldn't say Spring is difficult per se all things considered but it's the bigger PITA when it's the season you join in. It makes the game kind of feel like you have to do some chores or you'll just be hounded by wetness & massive sanity drain, whereas Summer is a lot more simple with the "Don't Die & Don't Fry".

In terms of additional sources of grass, I don't think it's necessary. When you spawn in usually the tufts around spawn haven't been picked or updated recently so you're able to get a solid amount before withering kicks in. Tumbleweeds and geckos do a good job of providing grass year-round too, either when you're travelling and happen upon them early in the game or lategame when you can travel to the desert to farm them or just herd up the gecko spawns in your base.

I tried starting in spring and summer with no cave in public server few years ago, I manage to survive both the entire season and build a base, for the both seasons I was playing as Wilson for default experience and difficulty

I would definitely say start in summer is harder unless you coward hide in cave

for ruin rush in spring VS start in summer without cave, I can't tell which is harder because both are difficult and depend on RNG sometimes

in spring your weapon may slip away during fight because of the wetness, as long as you can craft yourself umbrella and straw hat, the wetness problem is less harrassing, now the problem is that how you manage to rush and clear the entire ruin safely before spring end

in summer you have to manage to find grass and twigs before all of them wither, so you won't be killed by darkness for the rest of the season, and try not to overheat urself by burning tree at night, after 2 or 3 days since summer start, equiping any heat insulation and standing under tree is not going to stop you overheating, you must find yourself endothermic fire which need nitre, gold, rocks, science machine, and all has to be done while you struggling under tree to wait temperature cooler a bit in first 2days, and also you have to solve your food problem, unless you are lucky to find oasis or desert very early, it is gonna be very tough

the biggest challange

for spring is wetness, sanity and time limit to ruin rush

for summer it's time limit you can hide under tree and limited resources

winter ruin rush not on the list because it is obviously easier than spring ruin rush

On 3/31/2021 at 1:53 AM, ZombieDupe said:

If you start in Summer and stay on surface

So first you creating the issues for yourself then complain how hard it is? It is like saying "If i stay on main land there is no way for me to get salt" 

24 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

For spring all you need is to go down a cave and all problem got solved.

For winter all you need is to go down a cave and all problem got solved.

For autumn all you need is to fly to the sky and all problem got solved.

42 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

For spring all you need is to go down a cave and all problem got solved.

For winter all you need is to go down a cave and all problem got solved.

Not at all

In caves rains in spring and winter

In winter you have low temperature, rain and not so much stuff to burn (and the one that can be set in fire doesnt burn for long)

Spring has mostly the same difficulty in both shards meanwhile winter is more difficult in the caves 

10 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Not at all

In caves rains in spring and winter

In winter you have low temperature, rain and not so much stuff to burn (and the one that can be set in fire doesnt burn for long)

Spring has mostly the same difficulty in both shards meanwhile winter is more difficult in the caves 

caves rain will not pour, I can't find the exact value but I'm pretty sure you can stop it with someone negligibly small like a grass hat, and please tell me how winter is harder in the caves, you will not freeze in caves (maybe unless you are wet which is super easy to ignore)

19 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

please tell me how winter is harder in the caves, you will not freeze in caves

in my experience the temperature is low i dont know how much

about the rain, is true that is less strong than in the surface but there is no flowers and pigs in the caves and i doubt that you can stay dry with just an straw hat

Archived