Sustainable Sand Use?

I'm about 400 cycles into a game of Spaced Out, and I'm finding that my sand reserves are starting to get a little bit low. Without regolith, is there any to produce more filtration media? Or am I going to have to make a pollute water boiler on every planetoid to keep bathroom loops running?

There are a few ways, but none that are easy/high-volume. :)

The easiest way is to ranch Pokeshells and feed them polluted dirt, but that doesn't produce very much sand (70kg/Groomed Pokeshell/cycle, which will feed roughly one Deodorizer per Pokeshell).

The high-volume way is to heat up a steam room to ~350C, run Dirt through the room on Conveyer rails, and when it cooks to Sand you use Thermium Robo Miner to dig the tiles and load the sand onto a 2nd rail to take it out of the oven.

Use a volcano to cook dirt into sand.  It converts at 326C.  Granted, I never do this intentionally, but it's happened a few times when I've built a volcano tamer with polluted water.

For polluted water, I use an aquatuner/steam turbine to make a water boiler.  Produces dirt as a byproduct.  Kind of an awkward build, you can realistically only get about 4kg/s on the output until you get supercoolant, but arguably well worth it because it becomes a zero labor device.

Cooking dirt works well with arbor trees. You need to cook the pDirt anyway to avoid the dupe labor of compost flipping, so you may as well bring it up a few more degrees to make much more useful sand. Potentially labor free.

46 minutes ago, yopyop6 said:

it's salt -> sand. 100kg salt gives 100kg sand.

I was wondering about that, because table salt is pure salt deletion.

How the hell you get sand from salt? I don't see it.

Archived