Jump to content

Is anyone else annoyed by the meteor range


Recommended Posts

Here's a screenshot from one of my worlds:

image.png.d733b02ab22a465f07818660f0231de4.png

As you can see the meteors don't stick to their designated area and, in fact, prevent me from building near the Pig King.

They've also uprooted every sapling and grass tuft that was present on the grassland at the bottom of the screenshot.

I wish Klei changed meteor range to actually fit the area generated by the map.

The fact that they can go as far as, pretty much, a screen and a half away from the range is really bothersome

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s just one of those uncompromising features that make sense for an uncompromising wilderness survival game, but can probably be highly frustrating for people who want to peacefully build mega bases.

I guess that it’s good you can toggle them on/off then?

I think the only other compromise I can think of would be to be allowed to craft some sort of summoning platform- a device that attracts and calls the meteors down only into that specific location.

and hilariously as a total noob at the game (and as someone who just likes to base dangerously close to meteor fields) I thought that the Celestial Orb called them down, because.. “total noob” and anytime I had that thing anywhere near my base... meteors tended to crash down upon it from the heavens.

NOW I know that it’s got less to do with carrying that orb & more to do with my bad base choices.. but yeah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think it’s just one of those uncompromising features that make sense for an uncompromising wilderness survival game, but can probably be highly frustrating for people who want to peacefully build mega bases.

you are asumming a lot with this sentence

15 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think the only other compromise I can think of would be to be allowed to craft some sort of summoning platform- a device that attracts and calls the meteors down only into that specific location.

the specific location is called meteor field but sometimes the meteor shower moves making impossible to know if is safe to make buildings "near" that biome

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think it’s just one of those uncompromising features that make sense for an uncompromising wilderness survival game

I'd be fine with that mechanic if it was contained in its setpiece.

If tentacles could spawn 1.5 screen away from the swamp that'd also be an issue with range and not with players' attitude

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think the only other compromise I can think of would be to be allowed to craft some sort of summoning platform- a device that attracts and calls the meteors down only into that specific location.

i want this so bad, i can even beat fuelweaver and complete the entire mystery energy if that's necessary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stranger again said:

man you sound so desperate:lol:

 

1 hour ago, wons said:

i have the same problem, on my new world i have meteor biome next to oasis lake, so i can't build there :(

yes i do and i do agree with you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something that could be done is a similar application than the Oasis Desert with sandstorm, these rooms could have a specific tag and then meteors would have to check if they're on a correct location to strike.

I would actually REALLY like if the meteors don't go out of their rooms cause this constantly keep destroying plants around, sure it would be a nerf, but when you get very good worldgen then have a field that ruins an important setpiece and things like that, it's more annoying than difficult to play around it. I've got a lot of worlds I could have play a long time of them but these fields are wasting their potential.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ADM said:

Something that could be done is a similar application than the Oasis Desert with sandstorm, these rooms could have a specific tag and then meteors would have to check if they're on a correct location to strike.

I would actually REALLY like if the meteors don't go out of their rooms cause this constantly keep destroying plants around, sure it would be a nerf, but when you get very good worldgen then have a field that ruins an important setpiece and things like that, it's more annoying than difficult to play around it. I've got a lot of worlds I could have play a long time of them but these fields are wasting their potential.

your reply describes my new world just right, i have reed trap, really big oasis, 2 volt goat herds, mactusk nearby oasis, pig king village and pig village connected but the meteor field destroys the entire potential of this wolrd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, wons said:

your reply describes my new world just right, i have reed trap, really big oasis, 2 volt goat herds, mactusk nearby oasis, pig king village and pig village connected but the meteor field destroys the entire potential of this wolrd

i hate the 2nd meteor field... im having it in many world gens and antlion always spawning in the limit so if i want glass statues i need to move them before meteors start falling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, why are meteor showers even a thing. Like yeah, moon rocks, but there are much, much better ways to get moon rocks nowadays.

They're loud, they ruin your base, they ruin your pickaxe, they uproot everything. They're not even dangerous. There's no shockwave and they're so easy to dodge, they don't even do a lot of damage when you actually do get hit. They're not at all fun to deal with, they're just annoying now.

And I'm actually, completely, unironically convinced there's a typo in the code or something. There's no way they're supposed to reach that far.

I wouldn't want it gone completely. But by the eight, fix the range, buff the danger, or remove it completely and put it in a staff or book or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Boulders, moon rocks & iron ore :) 

Iron ore? That is from hamlet, not dst

39 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Same. They're only supposed to hit the Mosaic right? I have another field that leaks under my base and in the savanna, and my base gets hit sometimes, even though it's nowhere close to the Mosaic.

Sometimes it moves more than a screen distance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've noticed Meteor Fields migrate towards player's position (more so if player sits in respective position for prolonged periods of time - ex.: making base close/ish to meteor fields) - similarly to mobs coming close to players' locations. I reckon on programming level this behavior may be similarly coded. And probably should be rectified: meteor fields should have a fixed position. On the other hand perhaps is a very-much intended behavior and part of the Survival aspect of the game, as an active threat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I've noticed Meteor Fields migrate towards player's position (more so if player sits in respective position for prolonged periods of time - ex.: making base close/ish to meteor fields) - similarly to mobs coming close to players' locations. I reckon on programming level this behavior may be similarly coded. And probably should be rectified: meteor fields should have a fixed position. On the other hand perhaps is a very-much intended behavior and part of the Survival aspect of the game, as an active threat.

Meteor Fields neither expand nor migrate anyway. You just notice the meteors that land near you more than the ones that land away from you. I think it's what we call confirmation bias. Not that I can blame you. The meteors that land close to you definitely have more of an impact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be fine with them if they didn't MOVE...

I mean, I had a world once where after a while suddenly the _entrance_ area was full of meteors!  But, to begin with, it hadn't been.

dstcivday52YIKES.png.b17158ce639f6ec1fdb7731feb81bf43.png   

I was suddenly really glad I was playing alone, 'cos I didn't want to be yelled at by a brand-new player who got bonked on the head right as they stepped out the portal...

Just...stay in your lane, meteors, and we won't have any trouble!

...Notorious

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

Meteor Fields neither expand nor migrate anyway. You just notice the meteors that land near you more than the ones that land away from you. I think it's what we call confirmation bias. Not that I can blame you. The meteors that land close to you definitely have more of an impact.

If it really is what you point at, then WorldGen spawns Meteor Fields in pretty wrong places, or their overlapping is quite reaching. For example I've seen in past such fields over Oasis, over Pig King, Dragon, Moon Pedestal - even Florid Postern of all things, the starting area that should be safe from dangers for obvious reasons - and many other locations that had a Mosaic/Rocky biome - main or secondary - adjacent, yet fairly far. What I've noted is Meteor showers start in said Rocky plain (original spawners) and slowly "migrate" towards mentioned places where were main or mini bases; thus I presume, in your interpretation, meteor showers either advance RNG-ish in a more-or-less radial front, or totally random in a huge diameter, perhaps with certain predilection towards player position. Once more, I don't know if such behavior is intended or not, but to me seems rather excessive, since it makes popular and useful locations (PK, Oasis) unusable for even mini camps, rendering mere presence hazardous.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...