After Early Access Release: Swamp Cluster still the only Starting Point?

After two Weeks of hanging around in the swamps I couldn't wait for Spaced out to arrive, mainly because I really looked forward to finally start a base on a Terran Asteroid, with all the new features. 

After constantly refreshing steam for hours, the DLC is finally here, and I just realize that the state of the game is exactly the same as yesterday. Where are the other starting biomes? I was so sure they were just disabled for testing purposes during Alpha...

Is this an error on my part? Did I mess up my Installation?

Because right now it definitly feels like I traded a huge chunk of the base game for some mud. Dont get me wrong, I do love the new content, but I am pretty sick of sweetles. Does this mean I have to play vanilla for now? :shock:

4 minutes ago, chrisbehk said:

i think they didnt manage to push the update in time before the steam refresh (6pm gmt) might be why it isnt listed on the page?

God, I hope you are right. Kinda bummed out right now

edit: i bought the DLC, installed it (550 mb or something) and it is in my library. just so we understand each other correctly.

I think you were expecting a bit too much. Alpha was for stabilizing new content before Early Access. And you got exactly what was stabilized - content from the Alpha. New things will probably come with regular updates every few weeks like in ONI Early Access phase.

2 minutes ago, nessumo said:

I think you were expecting a bit too much. Alpha was for stabilizing new content before Early Access. And you got exactly what was stabilized - content from the Alpha. New things will probably come with regular updates every few weeks like in ONI Early Access phase.

but it is not about the new things. it is about the base game content :shock: right now, the game feels like less than before.

Just chilling on Terra, farming some hatches. for example

1 minute ago, fleranon said:

but it is not about the new things. it is about the base game content :shock: right now, the game feels like less than before.

Well said.. I haven't bought the DLC yet.. but if it's the same thing as alpha..? What happened to the actual game lol

1 minute ago, misotoma said:

Well said.. I haven't bought the DLC yet.. but if it's the same thing as alpha..? What happened to the actual game lol

It is under development. Due to that some features that are being modified/rewritten were disabled. Seriously, please check what Early Access is:

Early access, also known as early funding, alpha access, alpha founding, or paid alpha, is a funding model in the video game industry by which consumers can purchase and play a game in the various pre-release development cycles, such as pre-alpha, alpha, and/or beta, while the developer is able to use those funds to continue further development on the game.

And "the actual game"? You still have it, when you disable DLC. Nothing is lost.

2 minutes ago, nessumo said:

It is under development. Due to that some features that are being modified/rewritten were disabled. Seriously, please check what Early Access is:

Seriously? 

I buy an apple, love it, and eat it for 1550 hours. Then someone offers me a new one. its an early access apple, so of course I would be satisfied with just a tiiiiiiiiiiny additional slice, but instead the apple gets cut in half.

1 minute ago, fleranon said:

I buy an apple, love it, and eat it for 1550 hours. Then someone offers me a new one. its an early access apple, so of course I would be satisfied with just a tiiiiiiiiiiny additional slice, but instead the apple gets cut in half.

Great analogy! Yes, when you buy Early Access apple, you get a tiny slice of new apple. But why you say the apple got cut in half? Your original apple I still there, nothing has changed. You have a tiny slice of completely new apple, and whole old apple.

Just now, nessumo said:

Great analogy! Yes, when you buy Early Access apple, you get a tiny slice of new apple. But why you say the apple got cut in half? Your original apple I still there, nothing has changed. You have a tiny slice of completely new apple, and whole old apple.

Ah, this feels wrong, I really dont want to trashtalk the DLC. I had fun in alpha, for free even! I love the game. It's just that i was expecting absolutely nothing except my cozy old starting biome I played for years. And it seems strange that this is not an option right now. not even sure what this has to do with early access or anything.

1 minute ago, misotoma said:

I just have one question for this thread.. why buy DLC? Alpha still open :D I'm still enjoying it lmao

Primary goal: to support Klei devs!

Secondary: to have bug fixes and new content, which will be released in near future. Including "the other half of the apple" :D 

I kind of get the idea especially regarding balancing out the generation of asteroids and geysers for this or other starts, but I expected we would have some content update or changes compared to the Alpha and at least the petroleum engine to reach the other asteroids. OTOH there were no promises from Klei that it would be otherwise and there aren't any in the update/news item on steam about the DLC release.

When the base game was in EA we didn't have whole regions of the single map locked because the means to reach them was not yet implemented, that's my only gripe. It's a bit like seeing the cake but not being able to eat it yet, just wets your appetite. Unless the space map was changed that now we can really reach everything with the available CO2 and sucrose engines.

Maybe in a few weeks I guess.

I'd prefer to have more content too and think it's a bit too early for a release. Merely having no catastrophic crashes isn't exactly a good goal. At the same time the whining by certain people (and I'm not referring to this thread) that it's not a full game and that some of the original stuff is gone is extremely silly. You can still play the base game.

15 minutes ago, Steve8 said:

I'd prefer to have more content too and think it's a bit too early for a release. Merely having no catastrophic crashes isn't exactly a good goal.

It is not a release, but an early access. You have the possibility to watch, even help with, the progress to the final product. And no catastrophic crash is a perfectly valid reason to begin an early access.

I agree with people's point of view but this is what Klei has to say about it:

Why Early Access?

“Klei has used Early Access for all of our games since Don't Starve started back in 2012. We strongly believe that developing a game with the help of an audience leads to a better game!”

..it's reasonable.

I know people hate Epic, but you can have 2 different branches installed at once, something Steam is still mostly missing. Early Access is great thing to make the game better, it definitely worked with ONI. Klei never disappointed me.

There is no early access equivalent to adding this much stuff, apart from the early access before the full release, that added this much stuff and more. This is going to be closer to the ranching upgrade mk2 in terms of content, as in there's still a good deal before full release, maybe rocketry if we're pushing it.

Trust me, this game has been far more underwhelming before.

Archived