A List of All Giant Crop, Auto Nutrient Pairings

Edit: 

The list has been finalized in terms of auto-nutrient pairings as of update 443735.

It also includes a list of 4-crop and 5-crop combinations, (I was keeping it on the down low : P )

Google Docs Link Here

Edit End

I made a program that compiled a list of all 2-crop and 3-crop pairings that automatically provides all the needed nutrients to each other in their respective seasons and will give you giant crops! 

There are gonna be some repeated combos, but by following the instructions provided in the doc, its becomes much easier to navigate the list. In the event the numbers change for some crops, it won't be too difficult to fix this list (I just need time depending on my availability :)).

The output can be located here. Navigation instructions are provided in the doc; this spoiler and the doc also contains a mini-summary on how you get giant crops.

Spoiler

As of the Reap What You Saw Beta, crops can now be planted on a tilled tile. Said tiles have three nutrients to them for plants to feed/give out (growth, compost, and manure). Different crops eat and give out different amounts of nutrients and will need a proper amount of nutrients to grow properly.

Crops need to have certain nutrients in order to grow. It also just so happens that some crop combinations will provide the right amount of nutrients to each other when paired together so you yourself don't have to provide the nutrients via fertilizers! (You will have to water and tend to the plants though. The Lord of The Fruitfly drops a minion that will auto-tend for you. An auto-watering system currently doesn't exist outside of Spring rain).

Not only that, if you have four of the same crops in a tile range, you'll get a giant version of that crop, which will provide you the most yield. It looks like this (thanks to Mr. Tarunio (@jantonio)  for providing these images): 

Spoiler

14604607_taru1nogood.png.efc1a6c74713a12963b4180388d159d0.png

^ This one isn't close enough, but the one below it is!

490097882_taru2good.png.40a902799eadac96ff65ded1e649c7aa.png

I already made a post on this here:

I am very confused. What numbers did you use for this? Cause some of these combinations you've listed do not work out as far as I know.

For example, asparagus/asparagus/potato would a -6 compost loss. Similarly, asparagus/carrot/garlic would result in (2,-10,8). Not self sustaining by a long mile.

Unlike you, I made my list by hand, so it's entirely possible I screwed up the calculations somewhere. I did, however, take the nutrient values straight out of farm_plant_defs.lua, so they should be correct at the very least...

1 hour ago, QuartzBeam said:

I am very confused. What numbers did you use for this? Cause some of these combinations you've listed do not work out as far as I know.

For example, asparagus/asparagus/potato would a -6 compost loss.

I'll look into this, its possible something is messed up somewhere. I used the values in the plant registry ingame.

Edit: Ah, I see the error. I have the correct nutrient values, I just messed with up with a number in the brute force method. It's an easy fix so thanks for mentioning this.

It's been fixed now :)

17 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

@QuartzBeam Oh wow, the list ends up the same as yours. The effort I put into this was pointless then xD

Well, I did a lot of the combinations "by the eye", so it's good to have confirmation that I didn't get anything wrong. :D

The program will certainly come in handy if the values are changed again. (I did suggest Durian gets changed into -4 +8 -4 to balance things out a bit.) What language did you use for it, just out of curiosity?

9 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

The program will certainly come in handy if the values are changed again. (I did suggest Durian gets changed into -4 +8 -4 to balance things out a bit.) What language did you use for it, just out of curiosity?

I wrote it in java. It's all I knew from courses I took long ago lol

7 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

I wrote it in java. It's all I knew from courses I took long ago lol

Oh, goodie. Cause that's about the only language I've used in the past 3 years. :P

I assume you are using for loops to iterate through a table/array/whatever they call it using three separate pointers like this:

for (i=0; i<n-1; i++){
	for (j=0; j<n-1; j++){
		for (k=0; k<n-1; k++){
			blah blah blah
		}
	}
}

You could eliminate the repetition by doing this instead:

for (i=0; i<n-1; i++){
	for (j=i; j<n-1; j++){
		for (k=j; k<n-1; k++){
			blah blah blah
		}
	}
}

The list has been updated for the changes in patch 443554.

And it also has comparisons in the crop combinations pre-and-post this update.

The list has been updated for the finalized nutrient changes for patch 443735.

It also includes a list of 4-crop and 5-crop combinations, (I was keeping it on the down low : P )

Google Docs Link Here

Here's what I gathered in the past hour of testing with 4/5 crop combos.

4-crop combo -

1697916878_4CropCombo.thumb.png.0119997d3c924938f4bfe2797db762d4.png

The layout -

(White space is no plant)

1018099028_4CropsOptimal.thumb.png.6c8f187956cb680d0f52c09837a616fd.png

5-crop combo -

414354398_5CropCombo.thumb.png.d411cb672b044ae82e82dc35b4d892b4.png

The layout -

(Gray space is no plant)

2017865566_5CropOptimal.thumb.png.6a34b0549aa34779b98f60d74b8e4ad5.png

So unfortunately the 4-crop combo is hard to remember and doesn't exactly look pretty. However, every single crop is giant, so it's very efficient.

In the 5-crop combo, there's quite a few empty spaces because it is the only way I see to balance the nutrients in each plot. The red colored square in the layout will never be giant - it is only there to fulfil the nutrient combo so that you don't need to fertilize. However every other plant will be giant. Simply choose which plant you desire the least in the 5-crop combo, and use it as the red colored square in the layout.

You could throw some 1:1 crop combos in the gray space of the 5-crop combo, and the soil nutrients would remain automatic, but just know the extra crops added to the gray space can't be giant.

(do note I used the tilling mod to till 3x3s)

@Bird Up That 4 crops combo where the ratio is 1:1:1:1 looks really complicated and it hurts my brain :wilson_cry: 

The 4 crop combo with a 1:1:1:1 ratio seems to be a spring only thing too, which I didn't notice till you brought this combo up. All the other four crop auto-nutrient combos in the other seasons are 2:11. Good job on figuring out that 1:1:1:1 layout though, cause I probably wouldn't have been able to: p

But for that particular combo, you can do a 4 crop combo with a 2:1:1 ratio (and all other 2:1:1 combos, which is everything outside of spring), you change that corn to a 2nd asparagus. (For others, this combo was asparagus + corn + dfruit + onion became 2x asparagus + corn + dfruit). 

It'll look like this (green = asparagus, red = onion, purple = dfruit; just used the same colors as bird up):

Spoiler

463790829_4cropwitha2to2to1ratio2x2tile.thumb.JPG.17495d5e1fa4e8fa120064b510cc5c35.JPG

And then like this when scaled up, all you do is push the crop that you're having 2 of out to the edges, with the corner's being blank:

Spoiler

2136226978_4cropwitha2to2to1ratiobutscaled.thumb.JPG.83cecf403ac454984526cfb8cc565802.JPG

10 hours ago, Bird Up said:

You could throw some 1:1 crop combos in the gray space of the 5-crop combo, and the soil nutrients would remain automatic, but just know the extra crops added to the gray space can't be giant.

Actually, those 1:1 crop combos in the gray space can be giant. Move that red square into the corners (aka the corn that won't grow giant) and you can fit giant 1:1 combos in there, like this (assume the orange is carrot, the dark green is watermelon). 

Spoiler

846581552_5cropwith2cropgiant.thumb.JPG.655fb386a60f239cdc13928fdd7a875c.JPG

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

@Bird Up That 4 crops combo where the ratio is 1:1:1:1 looks really complicated and it hurts my brain :wilson_cry: 

u have to go to mensa to farm dst crops now. lol jk. if u look closely at the 4 crops, theyre are all in the same x-shape pattern. still ugly and not memorable lol.

Dang nice critiques. I assumed all 4-crop combos could be done in the same pattern. But after testing I think it still works? So I'm not sure what you mean. I tried the same pattern but for Summer 4-crop combo, and got all giant as result without doing any fertilizing. I could try the autumn 4-crop combo, but I assume that one works too.

2077637457_4CropCombo2.thumb.png.3c41afd85d996f5bdc91d7aba21db432.png

But wow, after looking at your 4-crop combo, that looks a lot less complicated lol.

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

Actually, those 1:1 crop combos in the gray space can be giant. Move that red square into the corners (aka the corn that won't grow giant) and you can fit giant 1:1 combos in there, like this (assume the orange is carrot, the dark green is watermelon). 

yesss. well then dang that's pretty good... fills the entire farm plot

you guys are crazy omg :lol: this looks impressive! Is there really a noticeable benefit from pairings this elaborate? (beyond it being a neat feat of computation) Couldnt you just make simpler, more straight forward pairings of fewer crops covering more farm tiles for the same amount/diversity of produce? I mostly want to highlight this so people dont get unnecessarily intimidated :apple:. Very impressive work though! 

6 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Couldnt you just make simpler, more straight forward pairings of fewer crops covering more farm tiles for the same amount of produce?

Yeah. I think most people will just be doing 2-3 crop combos. I think 4-5 combos are just for giggles and testing what's possible. the 2-3 crop combos don't look crazy, and even lahknish's 4-crop combo is easy to remember. 5-crop combos I think will inherently look like a mess lol.

15 minutes ago, Ohan said:

you guys are crazy omg :lol: this looks impressive! Is there really a noticeable benefit from pairings this elaborate? (beyond it being a neat feat of computation) Couldnt you just make simpler, more straight forward pairings of fewer crops covering more farm tiles for the same amount of produce?

4-crop and 5-crop combos are good in the early game where you don't have all the seeds in the game, but you have the right seeds at hand.

For example, in the first winter, we did a 5 crop combo of 2x pumpkin + 2x potatoes + 1 garlic cause we had those seeds on hand. Otherwise, the 3 crop combo of 1 asparagus + 1 pumpkin + 1 potato would have been better, but we had no asparagus seed.

Giant crops can also get you tons of seeds and extra produce. Once you've amassed enough seeds, you don't really need to build giant auto-nutrient farms anymore. You could just do 4x4 tills, throw the combos in, and make sure the plants always give a seed back, given that they aren't too stressed (or if you have way too many seeds and want to get rid of them, just convert that seed into a produce xD).

Stress conditionals can be found here, courtesy of electroely.

On 12/10/2020 at 9:55 PM, Seero said:

Do you think you can make a list of crop pairings that lack either compost or manure? if you have rot or poop lying around it would almost be like an auto nutrient farm, this would synergize well with juicy berries

I can do this. I have the results on hand atm, but it needs cleaning up/rewording to make it legible& understandable in the doc and I'm busy atm (maybe 1-2 days). I'll update when it's ready.

It will be also be divided based on pairings that are deficient in only one nutrient as well (2 poop per pairing OR 2 rot per crop pairing OR some % usage of super growth fertilizer per pairing). <-

^This is the headache I'm facing that needs figuring out: how to organize it so this all makes sense between the different numbered pairings & different amount of fertilizer usage while not being too difficult to navigate. :wilson_cry:

Archived